“Ronaldo Best In World” - Is The English Media Naïve?

sourgrapes.jpg

Last edited:
@ gomito, I understand your point, but I just dont agree with it.

Its the big games were the top players show themselves. Whether Milan are 5th, 1st or 14th doesnt make a difference imo. I dont judge the player based on the league standings because its also a teamgame. Kaka can be playing the best football of his life but if he was surrounded by the Reading players it wouldnt make much difference to their league standings.

And why I use the likes of boro, fulham and might aswell add the geordies to that list is because its not a "fair" representation of the players skill imo. Its like putting a 16 year old in a league of 12 year olds. Its obvious he is going to take the piss and dominate, but put that same 16 year old in a league with peers and then you will see whether he really is as good as he looked.

And that brings on to the top4 matches. They are pretty equal teams in these one/two off matches were its either a great piece of skill, or more often then not a mistake, luck that decides the match.

Its in these games that a world class player steps up and decides the match. He may not do it every game, but he will do it often enough to make the difference. Henry ripped the liverpool defense apart more then enough, even if he didnt actually manage it consistantly in europe. That was the debate at that time aswell, was he really the best in the world when you had the likes of Zidane doing it consistantly at the top level. In the same way drogba has made the difference in top games, a great bit of skill last season at chelsea against Liverpool decided the match, he scored the winner in the FA cup final against Manu, etc. In the same way Kaka dominated last seasons CL when it was needed. Ronaldo just doesnt do it enough yet in those games. Offcourse this may be the season that he steps up in europe, as domestically he hasnt yet. But its always retrospective saying a player is the best in the world as really it can only be judged at the end of a season.

He's a great player, world class, I would reluctantly love to have him at liverpool, mostly because of the cheating that I dont like him but on skill any day. I cant stand him either, but I can still see that he isnt there yet. Which isnt surprising, he's 23? If that?

As for this whole discussion, does anybody really care?! I know I couldnt care less when Owen won it, or gerrard won the "most valuable CL player" in 05 or if ronaldo, kaka, kuyt wins it this year. Its the team that I want trophies to win!

Last edited:
yeah but you still want your players to pick up these awards as well (they are awards not trophies). I'm not backing down on the Henry thing, Henry scored goals against all the big sides in Enlgand, he scored goals against big teams in europe, a lot of them away from home. I just think if he was playing for Barca or madrid or AC he would have got it.

No player can perform every single match, kaka hardly played well in the WC did he, thats the biggest stage of them all....

The thing is, the other two pretenders to the crown, Kaka and Messi are both going through bad patches themselves. So what can we say?

Be careful mate, he'll write a long piece next, titled:

Messi and Kaka going through bad patches: is Matherto THAT Naive?!!

:D

As for this whole discussion, does anybody really care?! I know I couldnt care less when Owen won it, or gerrard won the "most valuable CL player" in 05 or if ronaldo, kaka, kuyt wins it this year. Its the team that I want trophies to win!

:lol::lol::lol::lmao::lmao::lmao:

@ gomito, I understand your point, but I just dont agree with it.

Its the big games were the top players show themselves. Whether Milan are 5th, 1st or 14th doesnt make a difference imo. I dont judge the player based on the league standings because its also a teamgame. Kaka can be playing the best football of his life but if he was surrounded by the Reading players it wouldnt make much difference to their league standings.

And why I use the likes of boro, fulham and might aswell add the geordies to that list is because its not a "fair" representation of the players skill imo. Its like putting a 16 year old in a league of 12 year olds. Its obvious he is going to take the piss and dominate, but put that same 16 year old in a league with peers and then you will see whether he really is as good as he looked.

And that brings on to the top4 matches. They are pretty equal teams in these one/two off matches were its either a great piece of skill, or more often then not a mistake, luck that decides the match.

Its in these games that a world class player steps up and decides the match. He may not do it every game, but he will do it often enough to make the difference. Henry ripped the liverpool defense apart more then enough, even if he didnt actually manage it consistantly in europe. That was the debate at that time aswell, was he really the best in the world when you had the likes of Zidane doing it consistantly at the top level. In the same way drogba has made the difference in top games, a great bit of skill last season at chelsea against Liverpool decided the match, he scored the winner in the FA cup final against Manu, etc. In the same way Kaka dominated last seasons CL when it was needed. Ronaldo just doesnt do it enough yet in those games. Offcourse this may be the season that he steps up in europe, as domestically he hasnt yet. But its always retrospective saying a player is the best in the world as really it can only be judged at the end of a season.

He's a great player, world class, I would reluctantly love to have him at liverpool, mostly because of the cheating that I dont like him but on skill any day. I cant stand him either, but I can still see that he isnt there yet. Which isnt surprising, he's 23? If that?

i understand your point, you make sense, however then if what your saying is true, it really shows how the prem is about 4 teams and its probably the least competitive league around... where as the english media constantly say its the greatest and most competetive(which kind of supports the writers opinon)... i personally cant say which league is better, but i do find the prem boring when the same teams get in the top 4 year after year and just fight off each other.. Thankfully this year man city and everton have been added to the mix, but as always i suspect they will be fighting for uefa cup in the end, sorry i went a bit off topic but we all are bringing up good points i think

Back
Top Bottom