“Ronaldo Best In World” - Is The English Media Naïve?

I don't see much Italian press hyping their own teams, only showing a lot of support. Our teams achieve something in Europe though, and so does our national team. We have bragging rights until 2010 and next CL final ;)

I don't see much Italian press hyping their own teams, only showing a lot of support. Our teams achieve something in Europe though, and so does our national team. We have bragging rights until 2010 and next CL final ;)

true English media only looks into their own league and players, they need to open their eyes more to other leagues.

I'm not disagreeing at all.

Just the flimsy opinions he has based such a strong opinionated piece in are a little silly really :)

Yeah the English press is shite. I used to be obsessed with Italian football but not because of our press - because of Gazetta Football Italia on Channel 4!

I also notice that the English press tend to attack your own coaches and players. In Italy, I imagine in France and Spain too, our press always supports the national team and clubs even if the manager is shit. When Trapattoni was Italy coach, no one liked him but we all supported him and Italy. Since moving here I notice big division between the media, fans and the national team. People who go "I'm fed up" or "I just dont care" about England. Maybe thats why England underachieve... theres nothing to play for.

It's true mate.
It annoys me when people say 'I don't give a shit about England'... then as soon as they are in the Euros or World Cup, they are all out with their BBqs and beers watching the games with the flags up!! :lol:

In fact, that just sounds like a normal day for me:shock::lol:

honestly i found this article pretty silly. this man (never heard or read about him anyway... is him a journalist?)he brings some good points (it's undeniable the low quality of british sport jouranlism), but then he does exactly what he's blaming the british media for (claiming his opinions are better than the british journalists opinion).

what he says it's true (most of the english sport reporters, commentators and pundits, don't understand anything about football), but he didn't point out the right points to prove it.

u can't say somebody doesn't understands football, just coz he doesn't shares your likes. and when we start theese "who's the best" kind of conversation, that's what we're talking about: likes.

english media are rubbish. but not because they overrate their players or league. it's becaus they don't know the game. careful, i'm not saying they don't know continental football.... they don't know their football too. they don't know the game. Most of the english jouranlist and tv commentators can't "read" a match, because they don't have the required knowledge to do it (wich is pretty funny, if u think this should be their job).

to put it simply they are ignorants. and that's the reason why they're chauvinists. they're not bad coz they're chauvinists. they are bad coz they're ignorants. and chauvinism borns from ignorance, so it is just a logic consequence of their shortcoming.

but they're not the only ones honestly. Spanish jouranlists, tv commentators and pundits are as ignorants and as chauvinists as their english counterparts.
they too don't know the game, and that's the reason of their chauvinism.

can't talk about german and dutch media, as i don't speak german neither dutch. Actually i'm pretty educated about german media, having many friends who often send me translated articles of the most important german newspapers.... and from what i read, i think german press must be just a bit better than spanish and english press.
btw i can't truly express myself about german media, coz my education about it is based on an "indirect" superficial experience.

french media are a lot better than spanish and english. french jounalists, deeply know the game and french newspapers are usually pretty objectives, fair and unbiased 8despite all those stereotypes about french people :mrgreen:)
i can't talk about french tv commentators and pundits as i don't watch football matches with a french comment since a long time, so i'm not really up to date anymore about them.

the italian media, talking about football is a complete different kind of "animal".
comparing the italian media to the other ones in europe is just unfair and uncorrect. it would be like comparing me to a professional football player.
but it's not like the italian media are "naturally disposed to football".
in italy to coach a professional football team, to become a professional coach, u need to get a license (actually "more" licenses, as there are different levels A;B;C). to get this license u have to follow a course, a class. this courses (there's one course for each license) can last from 1 to 3 years.
now, i won't waste time by telling u what theese courses are about, coz it would take to much time. but to get an idea of what theese courses are about u can just consider that the 90% of the best coaches in europe come from here....

well most of the tv commentators, ex football players pundits and press reporters follow theese courses. it's not required to become a journalist or a commentator, they just do it to increase their own knowledge, to learn what football is about, to read the game.
they get educated about any tactical adjustment ever created in the past 70 years EVERYWHERE. in italy, in england, in spain, france, holland, germany, argentina, brazil... everwhere..... and everything, from the basics to the most sophisticated details.

that's the reason of their high quality. and that's the reason of their absolute lack of chauvinism. U hype, overrate, misunderstand when u're not "aware". when u're educated and aware u can't hype or overrate (btw Ste, i got to correct u; the italian media litterally destroyed trapattoni when he was italy's coach ;)). they know football. the italian football, the french football, the english football (much more than english journalists) etc..

now, after readin that article, i can tell u the man who wrote it is not an italian football journalist. and if he really is a journalist, then he must be one of the few who didn't follow the coverciano courses. because if he would have followed them, then he would have used much more valid points to remark the english media ignorance.

and btw guys, u're all clueless fools. cristiano ronaldo is nobody, compared to amauri!!!:mrgreen::lol:

in my opinion (seems to be the phrase of the day) FIFA and UEFA have always been harsh on England and I always felt we were discriminated against, to be fair. The racism in Spain is dreadful at times and in Italy there's the occassional stabbing of fans but never any real punishment, yet all English teams get banned from europeans competitions for 5 years because of one team? Maybe this is why the press is biased to our league. I was pretty sure at least once Henry was the World player of the year when he was with us, he never won it though. I'm not surprised Ronaldo didn't win it this year (even though Kaka deserved it). I can't actually remember any player based in England winning it. Why didn't Gerrard get it when Liverpool won the CL?

Bradley - Michael Owen 2001. Gerrard didn't win it because Gerrard didn't play as consistently and incredibly as Ronaldinho did that year. Gerrard was amongst the best, but Ronaldinho proved it for the season and won them the league.

Last edited:
haha, didnt know that...probably cos i never regarded him as the best player in the world...i should maybe do research before i go into one ;)

You still have a decent point Bradley.

I think English league is sometimes discriminated against because it hasn't got the technical flair of other leagues.
I think it may have been 2003 when Henry was easily the World Player of the year, but I think it went to Zidane and it seemed like they only done it to make it romantic so it was Ronaldo vs Zidane... 3vs3!

... and besides, everyone knows it's John Paintsil... even our song says so!!

He comes from Africa....
He's better than Kaka....
John Paintsil woooaahhh!! :lol:

You still have a decent point Bradley.

I think English league is sometimes discriminated against because it hasn't got the technical flair of other leagues.
I think it may have been 2003 when Henry was easily the World Player of the year, but I think it went to Zidane and it seemed like they only done it to make it romantic so it was Ronaldo vs Zidane... 3vs3!

Nedved was the world's best player in 2003 ;).

Anyway, the article isn't great, but the gist of the article is pretty much spot-on. I just have to take a look at this forum and I see how small the (football)horizon is of the English.

Lo Zio, I think you're praising your own media a little too much. No western-European country has more of 'biased', influenced and freedomless press than the Italian does. The big clubs have so much influence on what is written and what not, what is highlighted and what not. The papers have allegiances to certain clubs. Power, concerns, political influence, money and interests play too big a role. Take this little statistic, while my country is about 5th in the ranking of press-freedom, yours is somewhere in the 70th position (!).

Lo Zio, I think you're praising your own media a little too much. No western-European country has more of 'biased', influenced and freedomless press than the Italian does. The big clubs have so much influence on what is written and what not, what is highlighted and what not. The papers have allegiances to certain clubs. Power, concerns, political influence, money and interests play too big a role. Take this little statistic, while my country is about 5th in the ranking of press-freedom, yours is somewhere in the 70th position (!).

sorry mate but this is absolutely wrong. from 2002 to 2005 the most fervent accusers of juve's "weird" refereeing where la gazzetta dello sport and il corriere dello sport.

most of the italian journalists are blaming galliani for his bad decisions (talking about the players he bought\didn't buy in the past few years.

now all the media in Italy are underlining all the wrong calls the referees are doing during inter's matches.

and if we take a look outside the football borders, mediaset channels (broadcasting society, property of mister berlusconi) produced those satirical tv shows and those documentaries that destroyed berlusconi's reputation in italy (and in the world too).

the truth is that the italian press is one the most free in the world, my friend.... and i can tell u this coz i read newspapers of many, many countries.

i know i might sound biased, but everybody who speaks italian here will tell u i'm right.
moreover u should know i'm everything but biased, man........ and btw why should i praise too much the italian media.... i mean, who fucking cares about them, i've no reason to be biased towards them ;)

Last edited:
I think Steve Banyard(sp?) is an incredible commentator and play by play man, unfortunatley i dont know spanish, italian or french. But whem compared to other british(i say british cause i dont know his heritage) announcers, he is the best, and he is the best by far. So I dont think all of the british announcers are shit, as for the media.. Seems they like to make up quotes and make an issue out of something that simply just isnt.

sorry mate but this is absolutely wrong. from 2002 to 2005 the most fervent accusers of juve's "weird" refereeing where la gazzetta dello sport and il corriere dello sport.

most of the italian journalists are blaming galliani for his bad decisions (talking about the players he bought\didn't buy in the past few years.

now all the media in Italy are underlining all the wrong calls the referees are doing during inter's matches.

and if we take a look outside the football borders, mediaset channels (broadcasting society, property of mister berlusconi) produced those satirical tv shows and those documentaries that destroyed berlusconi's reputation in italy (and in the world too).

the truth is that the italian press is one the most free in the world, my friend.... and i can tell u this coz i read newspapers of many, many countries.

i know i might sound biased, but everybody who speaks italian here will tell u i'm right.
moreover u should know i'm everything but biased, man........ and btw why should i praise too much the italian media.... i mean, who fucking cares about them, i've no reason to be biased towards them ;)

Maybe you've been brainwashed by your media :mrgreen:.

Anyway, here's a link to the statistic I was reffering to:
http://www.freedomhouse.org/template.cfm?page=389&year=2007

The english media is shit, thats practically a fact.

As for Ronaldo being the best player in the world. Not yet, he still doesnt do it enough in the top top matches like Kaka does. Thats were the "best" player in the world makes the difference imo. Its all very well knocking them in against the likes of fulham, boro, etc but being able to take control of a match at the summit of a season (CL latter rounds, big domestic matches, latter stages of national tournaments) is what sets a player apart. Kaka can do that, Ronaldo is getting there.

As for the article, its hypocritical..........but I can understand the frustrations.

Maybe you've been brainwashed by your media :mrgreen:.

Anyway, here's a link to the statistic I was reffering to:
http://www.freedomhouse.org/template.cfm?page=389&year=2007

:lol:

italian media has always considered "not free" by freedomhouse coz of all the media berlusconi owns.

sure this is not a good thing (at all), but like i already told u, berlusconi's media companies were also the ones who showed berlusconi's skeletons in the cupboard.

i'm far from being a berlusconi fan (very far) but i got to admit he proved to be a great media company president.

if those guys at freedomhouse would actually watch mediaset programs, they would realise it too :roll:

btw this has anything to do with sport journalists football knowledge ;)

Last edited:
The english media is shit, thats practically a fact.

As for Ronaldo being the best player in the world. Not yet, he still doesnt do it enough in the top top matches like Kaka does. Thats were the "best" player in the world makes the difference imo. Its all very well knocking them in against the likes of fulham, boro, etc but being able to take control of a match at the summit of a season (CL latter rounds, big domestic matches, latter stages of national tournaments) is what sets a player apart. Kaka can do that, Ronaldo is getting there.

As for the article, its hypocritical..........but I can understand the frustrations.
umm where is kaka's team in the table at the moment? of course this is all subjective but i think its a falicy to say playing a top team is any different from a winning point of view then playing boro or fulham, because YOU cant drop points against the lower teams, so you have to win those games.. where the big games are always tightly contested 50/50 matches that you may or may not win. United didnt win the league because they beat the arse twice(in fact didnt they lose both times) they won the league because they got the most points, and you get the same amount of points for win vs boro and fulham as you do against chelsea and arse. Also who the hell performs big in the those big games anyways? in engladn the big games are always SHIT. Teams play not to lose and there snore fests. Usually a player like oshit or gallas or some other non scorer scores... which reminds me i seem to recall a 4-2 victory over arse a couple years back, oshea with 2 and ronaldo with 2... So toss out the big games in england, cause there hack and kick and run fests, and you basically can point to the game against milan, he played like shit... over two legs, but he sure was brilliant the previous round against roma, i think people love to hate ronaldo, but i certainly think he is one of the best players in the world as is kaka, but there really is no imperical way to say who is or isnt.

Bradley - Michael Owen 2001. Gerrard didn't win it because Gerrard didn't play as consistently and incredibly as Ronaldinho did that year. Gerrard was amongst the best, but Ronaldinho proved it for the season and won them the league.

That was the "European Player of the Year" its different to the "World Player of the Year" anyway i think

Gerrard didn't win it because Gerrard didn't play as consistently and incredibly as Ronaldinho did that year. Gerrard was amongst the best, but Ronaldinho proved it for the season and won them the league.

Then why did Kaka win it this year? I thought it judged on success as well as ability. Henry performed like no other striker i've seen in the unbeaten season for us, and arguably the season before that as well.. I dunno, i'm bitter i guess i just think England are treated unfairly sometimes..

Then why did Kaka win it this year? I thought it judged on success as well as ability. Henry performed like no other striker i've seen in the unbeaten season for us, and arguably the season before that as well.. I dunno, i'm bitter i guess i just think England are treated unfairly sometimes..

Henry definetly was at one point the best player in the world, but i probably wouldnt have admitted it at the time :mrgreen:

Bradley, to be honest with you, if I answered you about Kaka it would be biased. :) I watched him week in week out, where he was constantly our best player.

Don't get me wrong i think kaka is the best player in the world right now, just i think a couple of english based players have been overlooked in the past when they shouldnt have been. gerrard was liverpools best player week in week out at one point..

That's not really true Thomas. Last 2 games ok yeah but none of Utd played well in those games. The game before those he scored 2 goals against Portsmouth and played quite well. Next Tottenham, 2 goals played well, before that he scored and played ok against Reading, before that a hatrick against Newcastle. That's just the last 6.

That's not really true Thomas. Last 2 games ok yeah but none of Utd played well in those games. The game before those he scored 2 goals against Portsmouth and played quite well. Next Tottenham, 2 goals played well, before that he scored and played ok against Reading, before that a hatrick against Newcastle. That's just the last 6.
Yes, sorry i mean Italy Portugal ;) and two last Man Utd games and the dive machine is back, one versus Italy and versus and City i think :(

Back
Top Bottom