[09/11/05] Celtic 2-0 Rangers (CIS Cup)

ClassicD

Galáctico
11 November 2001
Glasgow
Celtic
I realised I haven't visited this section of the forum regularly in a while, because when wanting to discuss a match you often have to go between the two threads of the clubs playing to do so. So an idea is to have specific match threads, where all talk about that game can go and sets of fans from both teams can post, as well as neutrals, of course.

So for the first game I chose tomorrow evening's Old Firm match at Celtic Park. The game is live on BBC1 Scotland (you should be able to access this channel from outside Scotland if you have cable/Sky), programme starts at 7:30pm. The game is the first of two Old Firm matches this month, this being a cup game and the second a potentially more important league match.

Often it's said form doesn't matter for these games, but let's look at the form anyway because it's amusing from my, admittedly Celtic-biased viewpoint. Rangers have won 2 of their previous 10 matches, a stat which has left their manager hanging onto his job by his fingernails. This has been compounded by the fact that since the last Old Firm match, Celtic have taken 28 points from a possible 30. Rangers lie in 4th place in the SPL, 12 points behind Celtic and Hearts, and 8 behind Hibernian.

Celtic should be favourites then, but that rarely matters for these matches.

Team news for Celtic is Chris Sutton looks likely to miss the match. Maciej Zurawski and Craig Beattie are also still missing. I think Ibrahim Hemdani and Peter Lovenkrands are doubtful for Rangers, Novo is still missing. Stefan Klos keeps his place in goal after Watterreus was dropped.

Should be a cracker, game has to finish on the night so extra-time and penalties are possible.

Last edited:
Re: [09/11/05] Celtic vs Rangers (CIS Cup)

One of two things will happen.

Rangers will win, baffling supporters of both sets of teams given Rangers form over the last two months.

or

Celtic will win by a large margain. McLeish will still blame 'luck' and still have a job on Thursday morning.

as a celtic fan im a bit worried about celtic getting hammerd because in the last few weeks rangers have batterd in about 19 shots and tbh im sure there is one game when they are eventully going to score about 5 goals and i think with the amount of bad luck rangers have had i think they might just get ther good luck tomorro

From what I hear Rangers have been pish, the games I have watched they've certainly not been 'unlucky' as McLeish would say, they've been poor.

Sutton looks certain to be out so we have one recognised striker fit, Hartson, who'll probably be partnered by Maloney who's more of a supporting midfielder. For this reason I would be surprised if Maloney lasts the 90 minutes, I have a feeling they will try and kick him off the park because we've not got much in the way of backup (either Virgo, or bring on midfielder and push McGeady up). Rangers are playing mince so I think they're going to try and kick Celtic off the park tomorrow with Maloney and Nakamura the main targets, but we'll see.

Just hope he doesn't bring Thompson back in, at least not from the start. :roll:

i think thompson is starting and as you said rangers will definetly get into wee maloney they always do

any way who's watching it tonite or going (am going)
lovenkrands and hemdanni is out i herd

Yep, firstly I'm not sure about all this silly talk between 2 threads when two teams face off. It's bloody stupid.

About the game, I'm confident, think it'll be 2-0 with Hartson bagging the 1st and think maybe Maloney or Feed the Gead might score.

I'm not overly fussed about this game, but being an OF game want to win obviously. Personally I'd drop out Naka and let him try and get some rest for the midweek long trip and hopefully will not drain him too much for next week's league clash.

Think Maloney can cause probs with his pace, would have preferred Magic to have been back and that would've allowed Maloney to drop into midfield where he's more effective and give's some more pace.

Wouldn't say no to Thommo, as he's got a great record against Rangers.

FD

Aye, sent off in the last two Old Firm games, crackin! He does have a good scoring record against them but he's been off the boil for so long now and hasn't featured recently. I don't like how he keeps trying to drift in centrally when all his best performances since he joined came as an outside left. He can't tackle that well and would start a fight in an empty house (this guy manages to get himself booked when he is given a free-kick)!

I would agree with resting Naka if it was anyone but Rangers, think he's got to play as Strachan will get crucified if we don't win and he's opted to do something like that. If he did it then also didn't win the league tie, then he'd be under more pressure again, I think he'll definitely play his strongest team.

A little worried about BBJ's lack of mobility up front. I'll take any sort of win, preferrably in normal time so I can watch Lost afterwards. :)

LOL..............that's what I was hoping too, don't want it intereferring with my Lost. :lol:

Thommo has a bit of grit about him, personally I find too many people looking into the OF games and making him out to be a madman. 1 sending off was for play-acting of the highest calibre and the other was for a tackle that is supposedly a sending off offence, however I've saw countless instances of similar and worse offences that are not treated similarly.

FD

Aaaah, the sweet taste of victory, may I taste you again in 10 days! :mrgreen:

Jeffers should have been sent off, shocking tackle - compare it to what Thompson got ordered off for at Ibrox. You could also compare Hutton's assault on Camara to Thompson's, again I think Hutton's is worse.

But, ferking great result! First half was scrappy but we did a bit more attacking. Maloney's goal was a belter, Klos was out of position but still a stunner. Second half, even before the red card, Celtic were beginning to dominate the match. Kyrgiakos, what a fanny eh? Some of our passing was delightful second-half, I thought Nakamura, Lennon and Petrov were all outstanding, and Camara's double/triple/treble 1-2 was great!

Oh aye, Prso gets his shirt tugged but goes down holding his face, how does that work? Dunno what he did to Balde first half but Bobo had a busted nose and had a kick at him, looked accidental in the replay (from Prso, not Balde, he just booted him).

Aaaaaaaaaah wonderful!

P.S. the camera shot of Kyrgiakos with the fans behind him 'waving goodbye' was priceless :lol:.

OH AYE - Rod Stewart singing "EASY EASY!". :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Thought Celtic where actually quite poor, although I really mean up near the box, the final ball was awful.

Lennon strolled the MOTM for me, McManus and Camara where excellent too, although the whole defence where good.

Personally thought Petrov was pish, didn't do 1 thing all night, Maloney got MOTM but I thought he wasn't that great, decent 2nd half (even the player & GS mentioned it). McGeady worst man on the park, with the exception of Peter Lovenkrands who I swear I forgot he came on at half-time. :mrgreen: Naka came onto a very good 2nd half.

Thought 2-0 was a guaranteed result.

FD

How bad was Bernard, Jeffers, thompson, lovenpants, ricksen and rod!
Poor Prso, he has to come into MF and pick the ball up in order to attack.

Even with 11 men they didnt have a shot on target all night.

Still, I thought the game was over at 1-0, Rangers couldnt string 3 passes together and the more it went on Celtic looked content. The best hope Rangers have is trying to salvage a Euro spot.

Balde and McManus had bugger all to do, Camara put in a massive shift again, naka got stuck in (and setup Klos' wonder goal), Petrov was working hard all night, i think Wee Barry was told to watch him as Barry was sitting very deep. Lenny picked up everything.

I loved BBJs tunnel talk and Boruc was trying to contain his smile on YNWA at the start, well done bhoys, same again next sat!

Didn't see any aftermatch interviews, heard they were spewin on radio Clyde as well. Sorry Frank I thought Petrov was absolutely immense, the amount of running he did was incredible. I'd love to sit next to you for a game! :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: LOL.............it should be fun, not agree on anything. Although I do agree about him covering a lot of ground, you can't moan to much with Stan, I just thought he was poor.

I think TBS means before the game, well I'm assuming.

FD

yes great game i thought big hartson was going toscore but he just poked it with his toe or something and petrov's goal was it definetly off side as i diddnt get a good veiw of the rangers back line

Sorry yeah I did see before the game in the tunnel, Hartson was geeing the team up in the tunnel, not a peep from the Orcs tho. Boruc had a big cheeser on his face thru the entire YNWA, quality.

ash Stan's goal wasn't offside. It was given for Maloney but he was well on, and although the whistle had gone before Maloney cut it back, the cutback and finish were excellent and it wasn't a case of Rangers knowing it was offside and not bothering. Maloney was wrongly flagged offside a couple of times second half in fact.

fd1972uk said:
What did BBJ say? Missed that.

Rangers were lined up in the tunnel on their own. Celtic come out and get ready, BBJ turns around clapping and at the top of his voice "fcukin come on then lads" or something along simelar lines. Some of the rangers players looked a little suprised and quiet... (I noticed fernando didnt touch the refs bum this time, unlike his friendly banter at ibrox)

I thought petrov was great. Ok he didnt score 3 goals, but he was running all night, picking up stray passes, set wee shaun up for the first goal and scored himself (was in no way offside, the reply shows shaun on for a yard, Rangers were too slow for him). Wee barry was in his pocked.

rangers were pish. can they hold on to 4th place?:lmao:

i cant wait until next sat for them to return and get hammerd even better just hope no one picks up any injuries at there friendly matches. whats the news about players return for the game zurawski,beattie and sutton should mabye be back?
and oh yeah what do you think about boruc,camara,telfer and naka as that was there first old firm at parkhead you think they were surprised with the way the fans were

Wait and I'll go ask them. :mrgreen: ;) hehe.......nah, sure they thought it was great, Boruc seemed to enjoy it anyway at the start.

Re: Injuries. Think the guys you mentioned are back, well Magic and Sutty anyway according to reports.

FD

Back
Top Bottom