Tactical tips and discussion. FORMATION QUESTIONS HERE!

ST stands for Second Top. In the english version, its called SS or Second Striker. Which is exactly what you call players like Rooney and Bergkamp.

Peter Eyres said:
No seriously, anyone recommend a strategy that will get crosses onto the heads of striker and into the net?

Something with a LWF and/ or a RWF will be good. Of course your wingers should be fast, fairly good at (long) passing and have great stamina. On the other hand your CF must be world class, since he's the lonely warrior up front. I recommend somebody with the post player star. Furthermore scoring, lines and positioning are also helpful!

This is all very straightforward and obvious. If you want to cross onto the heads of strikers and into the net your own ability is equally important as is your tactics/ formation!

3-4-3 is working perfect for me right now!

I played with Udinese last week:

----------------De Sanctis--------------------
-------------------(GK)-----------------------
-----------Natali--------Felipe---------------
------------(CB)----------(CB)----------------
----------------------------------Candela-----
-----------------------------------(LB)-------
---Pinzi--------------------------------------
---(RWB)--------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------
----------------Vidigal-----------------------
-----------------(DMF)------------------------
----------------------Obodo-------------------
----------------------(CMF)-------------------
----------------------------------Muntari-----
----------------------------------(LMF)-------
---------------Di Natale----------------------
----------------(SS)--------------------------
-Di Michele-----------------------------------
--(RWF)---------------------------------------
-----------------------Iaquinta---------------
-------------------------(CF)-----------------

Yep cheers m8, I used to play the 4-3-3 with 2 holding midfielders, in my first ML with Benfica. It worked well, with Mantoras/Simao and Miccoli, and of course Nuno Gomes in the centre. It is the most effective formation on the game and things got predictable.

I think the main problem was the fact I changed my long passing mode to type 4, hence manual crossing which was never really my thing. Its hard enough getting space to get crosses in without having to direct it manually, hold L1 etc

My first comp in PES5 was with Udinese in the league format, and Iaquinta was knocking in headers for fun ;)

Now Kovacevic is at last posing a threat in the air. Using my modified 4-1-3-1-1

And finally the game isnt so one dimensional (through the middle)

Last edited:
RuneEdge said:
You obviously havent played me yet then. ;)

I use a standard 4-4-2. As a matter of fact, I just stocked Arsenal's formation to start with and then moved players just very slightly in places.
I'll have a picture of it up soon to show you (If I can remember to).
Most of my tactical knowledge is about how to use the arrows and alter individual behavior.
Most people would think that the formation itself can affect how attacking and defensive a team plays but the truth is, its possible to be as attacking as 4-4-2 using even something like 5-4-1.
Its all about how you get each player to behave on the pitch. We now have this new Wing Back position but long before that, I was able to get someone like Roberto Carlos offside even from the left back position.

I cant really explain it all here cuz it would require too many pictures and diagrams to explain but experiment with the arrows and stuff. Try things out that you normally wouldnt.

You'd be surprised how important little changes could make in this game.

It would be a great help if you could expand on this, maybe in small installments ;)

I bought the piggyback guide today, and whilst I'm very happy with it, I'm still having difficulties fully understanding the arrow system.

Some say its not good to have 2 arrows on one player, or lots of players with arrows, some do.:shock:

Does anyone have any suggestion of a good formation for the England team? I used to play with the default formation (4-4-2) against my friends, but nowadays it doesn't seem to be a great formation anymore. Any tips on formation or strategies?

Thanks a lot! =)

Just change England to play in a diamond = sorted.

DMF Gerrard
LMF Cole
RMF Beckham
AMF Lampard.

I bought the piggyback guide today, and whilst I'm very happy with it, I'm still having difficulties fully understanding the arrow system.

Some say its not good to have 2 arrows on one player, or lots of players with arrows, some do.:shock:
Try asking PLF. Although it is all down to personal opinion and preference.

can someone give me a perfect formation that is good against all types of formation(442,451,433,343,4321 etc.) i like to attack and my team is manutd, i want to maximise each players ability and be quick on the attack but also tough to get past.

anyone got a formation like that (especially for pes5 PC)? If so, can you give a detailed guide on how to setup this formation (which teams base formation to use, arrows, tactics, defence systems etc.)

thanx in advance

tandeh said:
can someone give me a perfect formation that is good against all types of formation(442,451,433,343,4321 etc.) i like to attack and my team is manutd, i want to maximise each players ability and be quick on the attack but also tough to get past.

anyone got a formation like that (especially for pes5 PC)? If so, can you give a detailed guide on how to setup this formation (which teams base formation to use, arrows, tactics, defence systems etc.)

thanx in advance

I use Man Utd and I almost win the treble every season. Check my post several pages past. I highly suggest using Rooney as a LW and have him cut into the centre, his shot is so powerful and he has great pace.

And I also highly suggest using a sweeper. When you attack you have an extra man.

ricola_pak said:
I use Man Utd and I almost win the treble every season. Check my post several pages past. I highly suggest using Rooney as a LW and have him cut into the centre, his shot is so powerful and he has great pace.

And I also highly suggest using a sweeper. When you attack you have an extra man.

is your formation good against human opponents, as with the computer i can beat it, but some human made formations leave me baffled as to how to counter the tactics. I really need one for online play where sometimes due to lag you end up spending half the time trying to control the players.

I have some Questions that came to my mind while i recently was trying out some new tactics:

1) In the team settings list "Attack / Defence: Normal / Auto-Attack / Auto-Defence". What do these options mean ? Currently i leave it at normal.
I find my game a bit static especially on counter attacks, even though i have Counter attacks set to A.
I tried auto attack once, and my impression was that my whole team was rushing forward headlessly leaving my defence open. Could someone explain this to me a bit more detailed ?

2)Wheres the Difference between a "normal" defensive system and "line" defensive system. I always thought that if you don't play with a sweeper you play with a line defence. So what the hell does "normal" mean / why is there an extra option "line" ?
EDIT: Just made a game with sweeper and one with line, and both seemed to leave my backline in total chaos, so additional explanation is appreciated :-)

3) Is it useful to turn "Offside trap" all the way up to A ? I always thought that might be a bit risky. When i got it on A, my defenders tend to be very very vulnerable on through passes. When i play it on B they sometimes don't move forward fast enough....
What would you recommend there ?

And finally: I want to create a strategy that let's the opponent set his game up in your half and then hits him with "raid-like" counter attacks (if you know what i mean). i'm pretty good at the defensive part, but fail to create offensive pressure on counter attacks. I have counter attack already set to A. Any tips there ?

Thanks for you time, cheers!

Last edited:
Teacher said:
There is, not my knowledge, a specific WE thread here on evo-web that only deals with 'in-depth-WE10-formation-and-tactics-talk'.

OK, here you go, KJK1LL3R! ;) I've forgotten this thread totally, thanks to STR for mentioning it! Let's reanimate this baby...!

My WE10 4-3-3 tactic that produces good results against humans, in this example I use Spain (I mostly play with Spain, Atl. Madrid, Palermo, Uruguay, Netherlands, AS Roma, Udinese, Betis and Chelsea, all because of the option to play along the wings):

--------------F. Torres--------------- CF
--------------------------------------
-Reyes----------------------Joaquin--- LWF, RWF
--------------Fabregas---------------- AMF
-------Alonso------------Xavi--------- DMF, DMF
--Del Horno-----------------Salgado--- LB, RB
-----------Puyol----P.Ibañez---------- CB, CB
---------------Casillas--------------- GK

Back Line: A or B (mostly I'll play A, you'll need to stay focused, though
Offside Trap: B

Attacking Arrows:
CF: forward
LWF, RWF: forward and diagonally towards CF
AMF: none
DMF's: backwards
LB, RB, CB's: backwards

Defensive Arrows:
CF, LWF, RWF: low
AMF: normal
rest (incl. GK): high

The CB's are a few clicks away from the box towards the DMF's. So the defence plays further up the pitch. Defending skills are very important as you can be caught with through balls. If your opponent is constantly doing that, set back line to B, for more leeway.

This works for me, but it is not relaxed in any way. Constant focus and concentration to defend well and create opportunities up front.

I think 4-3-3 is the Best. As CF i prefer Bobo from Besiktas Istanbul. He is still 20 and a powerful player. Also plays in the u21 team of brazil.

-----F.Torres------Bobo-------Fred-------
---------------------------------------------
Wilhelmson-------Kaka----------Messi---
Clichy--------------------------------Eboue
----------Toure--------S.Ramos-----------
-----------------Casillas--------------------

My substituties are:

Van Persie
Zokora
Fabregas
Boka
B. Kone
Stekelenburg
Akin Ibrahim

I prefer to set the players with the right foot to the left side and other way around.
Like Messi, Wilhelmson, F.Torres in my formation

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the 4-3-3 is the most productive formation in the game. It is very predictable and unrealistic (sometimes - the way the winger can do whatever he wants when he has the ball including shooting from really improbable angles causing the shitty kepers to parry it to your CF).

Work extremely well with Portugal (Ronaldo, Pauleta, Simao/Boa Morte) and Argentina (Saviola/Tevez, Crespo, Messi).

STR said:
I agree that the 4-3-3 is the most productive formation in the game. It is very predictable and unrealistic (sometimes - the way the winger can do whatever he wants when he has the ball including shooting from really improbable angles causing the shitty kepers to parry it to your CF).

Work extremely well with Portugal (Ronaldo, Pauleta, Simao/Boa Morte) and Argentina (Saviola/Tevez, Crespo, Messi).

I must say that in PES5/WE9 wingplay was far more easy. Lofted through balls actually went over the heads of fullbacks and into the feet of wingers. From there on they could run at corner flags, cross etc. etc....the works.
In WE10 wingplay requires more skill. You really have to play one-two's or use special moves to outplay defenders. Mediocre players should not be able to get much out of 4-3-3 compared to skilled, experienced players (of course we are all skilled and experienced ;))!
Of course wingplay is predictable, but what is wrong with that? It is smart to not stick to only one playing style. In my formation I switch to 4-5-1 and 4-4-2 sometimes, just to make myself as unpredictable as possible.
I play PES5 online regularly and over there 4-3-3 is not, I repeat, not that productive. 4-4-2 is the most used formation, although people tend to switch tactics all the time.
To say that wingplay is unrealistic??? Wow! That is a bold opinion ;)! The Netherlands have a long history and tradition of playing with wingers. In the current world cup The Netherlands play with Robben and Van Persie. That is realism for you there :) Cheers!

I meant unrealistic within the game. Playing with wingers, especially those with high dribbling stats, is really very easy and effective; against the computer and humans. Someone like Robben or C. Ronaldo on the wing is a godsend in this game.

Against humans, perhaps it is a case of learning how to defend better against wingers, and in time the effectiveness of wingers may reduce but for the computer there is no excuse, and combining the dubious goalkeeping can sometimes make the game predictable (in the sense that the game becomes repetitive and loses its fun).

I've had some great success with a 3-3-1-3

Code:
---------------------GK-------------------------
------------------------------------------------
----------------CB---CB---CB--------------------
----------RWB--------CMF--------LWB-------------
---------------------OMF------------------------
----------RWF--------CF--------LWF--------------

The key with this set-up is to hold possession upfield, crossing the ball in using the WFs or even the WBs as they make runs up the flanks.

However on its own this formation isn't very balanced, so you need to create a 2nd formation which moves the WFs to SMFs and the WBs to SBs, essentially creating a 5-4-1 and then playing on the counter.

Once you break away on the counter, switch back to 3-3-1-3 and keep the ball upfield.

You need good WFs and WBs to make this formation work, they need to be fast on and off the ball and the WBs will need high stamina.

I use Joaquin and C.Ronaldo as my WFs and J.Zanetti and Cicinho as my WBs.

Hope this formation brings you the same success it has for me :).

My formation...

----------------------------- GK -----------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
---------- CB --------------- CB --------------- CB ----------
---------------------------- DMF -----------------------------
-------- RWB ------------------------------------ LWB --------
---------------------------- OMF -----------------------------
--------------------------------------------------- LWG ------
---------------ST --------------------------------------------
-------------------------------- CF --------------------------

GK : Cech
CB : Cordoba, Samuel, Heinze
DMF : Maldini
RWB : Maxwell
LWB : Guti H.
OMF : Pirlo
ST : Recoba
LWG : Saha
CF : Adriano

I really like Mexico's default WE10 formation. Before that I was messing around with my own 3-5-2 and I'd say I'm more suited to playing 3 at the back with the defending-engine in WE10 than I have been in the past. Actually since WE4 on PSOne actually, where I always played 3-5-2, since then I've felt 4 defenders was a must but WE10 for some reason I can play 3 again.

STR said:
I meant unrealistic within the game. Playing with wingers, especially those with high dribbling stats, is really very easy and effective; against the computer and humans. Someone like Robben or C. Ronaldo on the wing is a godsend in this game.

Against humans, perhaps it is a case of learning how to defend better against wingers, and in time the effectiveness of wingers may reduce but for the computer there is no excuse, and combining the dubious goalkeeping can sometimes make the game predictable (in the sense that the game becomes repetitive and loses its fun).

Yes, I realised later on after I already posted what you meant in your post (it's the language thing, me not being a native English speaker!), sorry mate ;).

Anyway, I second your post, couldn't agree more...!

I usually play 4-3-3 with this formation:

-----------------------------GK------------------------------
--------------CB--------------------------CB-----------------
-RWB----------------------------------------------------LSB--
------------------DMF---------------------------------------
-----------------------------------CMF----------------------
------------------------OMF---------------------------------
-------------RWF------------CF----------------LWF-----------

Although I sometimes change to a 4-4-2 diamond formation or a 3-5-2 with wingbacks on the sides, I find 4-3-3 the most productive formation in the game, especially playing with wingbacks and a skilled midfield. Through balls can destroy your opponent, and the three attackers open a lot of space for an OMF to shoot from range (a la Lampard or Gerrard). ;)

ClassicD said:
I really like Mexico's default WE10 formation. Before that I was messing around with my own 3-5-2 and I'd say I'm more suited to playing 3 at the back with the defending-engine in WE10 than I have been in the past. Actually since WE4 on PSOne actually, where I always played 3-5-2, since then I've felt 4 defenders was a must but WE10 for some reason I can play 3 again.
Intresting.

ClassicD do you use WB when your playing with the 3-5-2 formation?

Could people make templates with their formations? I rarely see it on this thread but it was very helpful in the "Advanced Formations" thread on pesinsight forums for PES games! I would like to see some WE10 templates when people are posting their formations if this is possible! Thanks!

yeah but these formations are for PES5! I am wondering if anybody has created templates for formations in WE10?

Back
Top Bottom