360 HD and Normal (4:3) screen?

martd

League 2
10 June 2002
Lymington, UK
I've played PES6 on my mates Xbox360 on his standard 32" tv and its great on 'Normal' mode (4:3)

On my 40" it looks shite unless I use the HD input (LCD so this is to be expected).

Is there any way of switching the 360 to Normal mode with HD output? The 'Screen Settings' locks me out!!

cheers

Martd

If you have the HD cables and an LCD, why on earth would you not want to use HD(720p and 1080i are 16:9 aspect ratio by default and the 360 is 720p by default)?

Since you are using an LCD (a fixed pixel display) you should set the X360 to output in your LCD's native resolution for best results.

Last edited:
I've played PES6 on my mates Xbox360 on his standard 32" tv and its great on 'Normal' mode (4:3)

On my 40" it looks shite unless I use the HD input (LCD so this is to be expected).

Is there any way of switching the 360 to Normal mode with HD output? The 'Screen Settings' locks me out!!

cheers

Martd

:shock: :shock:

If you have the HD cables and an LCD, why on earth would you not want to use HD(720p and 1080i are 16:9 aspect ratio by default and the 360 is 720p by default)?

Since you are using an LCD (a fixed pixel display) you should set the X360 to output in your LCD's native resolution for best results.

Because it is soooooo sllllooooowwwww on 16:9 - much faster on 4:3 and thats how we prefer to play

+1

I have a simple definition TV: as it's widescreen, I had to set my Xbox 360 so the games I own run perfectly in 16:9 aspect ratio.

Alas, when playing PES6 with this mode I find it too slow and the camera too far from the action. So when I want to play this game I have to turn widescreen off in the system's options, in order to fully appreciate it. It forces me to stretch the screen in order to have players with good proportions (as I did on PS2), but everything runs faster and the view is closer... That's the reason why I plan to buy a really big HD TV, so I can play the game in perfect conditions.

martd, if you can't switch widescreen mode off because of your HD cable, I feel sad for you. I hope you can find a way to fix it. I also hope Konami would fix it by releasing a patch (if people came to tell them)...

Bon courage (as we use to say in France). ;)

YEAH SURE!KONAMI WILL GO AGAINST MICROSOFTS RULE ALL GAMES ARE WIDESCREEN 720P/1080I/P
there is nothin wrong with pro on my hd telly it aint slow and the action aint far away,change your view then.
its all an urban myth like the dont speak on live and you wont lag one as well lol

Of course the game would be faster when your stretching a 4:3 image to fit wide screen? Your basically not happy with the pace of the actual game? Maybe you'll be happier with PES5 on ps2. You can unlock Double Speed in that.

Dear ch8rt, thanks for your useless message. I didn't need your help in this forum for more than three years, so please go pollute another place, kid.

heartless, understand the fact that when I play PES6 in widescreen mode on my 27 inches SD TV, I find players too small in normal view. Using close up view can't help me cause it sticks too near to the action, to a point it's unplayable.

I know my screen is too small but I can't change it for the moment: the only solution I found was to set my Xbox 360 to normal TV, so I can enjoy big players, and as the camera is closer to the action, everything seems to go faster (which is normal, you'll agree). Alas, as on PS2 (or Xbox, and NGC for those playing WE6:FE on it), I have to stretch the screen vertically cause everything seems a bit "flat" in 4:3 mode.

That's why I'd be nice if Konami had included the option to change manually the view, so people in the same case as me can play with a closer camera in 16:9 mode. That's all.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be harse in any way. But why would Konami be the first to offer the option to change the screen ratio in game on the 360? It makes no sense?

And I can see everything very clearly on my 28inch standard def TV. Obviously that inch makes all the difference.

I would say the game moving faster in 4:3 compared to 16:9 is a figment of your imagination brought on by the camera "moving more" since it has less space to keep the ball in view. This to me sounds like the same hogwash as when someone said FIFA 07 plays faster in 480p as opposed to 720p. The truth is the xbox 360 renders everything @ 720p and the scaling chip adjusts for what your screen setting is.

ch8rt, you're welcome, it takes way more to offense me! ;)

deftonesmx17, I know that the game seems to be faster in 4:3 than in 16:9 due to the fact that there is less place for the camera. What I simple wanted is the possibility to manually put the camera closer to the action, even on 16:9 mode. That's all but that's enough for me to be a bit disappointed. But no big deal.

ch8rt, you're welcome, it takes way more to offense me! ;)

deftonesmx17, I know that the game seems to be faster in 4:3 than in 16:9 due to the fact that there is less place for the camera. What I simple wanted is the possibility to manually put the camera closer to the action, even on 16:9 mode. That's all but that's enough for me to be a bit disappointed. But no big deal.

Have you tried 480p mate,Thats what I have to do.

My 4:3 lcd doesn't have a letterbox function,so on 720p it looks all stretched and skinny.

480p is the only setting for 4:3 normal mode mate.You could try a vga cable(I'm still waiting on mine)and play through the pc connector of the tv,at whatever resolution you like !!!

:D

Back
Top Bottom