4K TVs

Lami

Niche Football
28 May 2007
Sydney
Man Utd, Juve
Now that 4K TVs are (almost) mainstream, and with HDR, Dolby vision, HLG and possibly VRR coming in the near future, it's time we've had a thread for all the crazy 4K tv tech talk and share our experiences and possibly assist others find the best tv for their budget/need.

I have an LG OLED C6 55" myself and these are my settings in regards to gaming:

Picture mode: Game
Energy saving: off
OLED light: 40 (can go lower depending on my tolerance at night)
Contrast: 89
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Color temperature: W25 (I prefer warm to cool as they look more natural)

Under advanced controls, dynamic contrast, dynamic color and super resolution all off.
Color gamut: wide
Gamma: medium

Under picture options, all off apart from Black Level being Low. Make sure your PS4 or Xbox is on limited in its settings. You'd want this on Full if you're using PC.

Bare in mind these are my optimal settings for my environment. If you want the best setting for you you're best option is to calibrate it yourself using a free calibration dvd, or use the Xbox calibration if you have an Xbox. You can use my settings if you like and see if it works for you. You should know that different setups can demand a different setting. Things like room brightness for example differ from person to another.

A good place to look at is rtings.com. They have a ton of info testing their tvs for gaming like input lag and hdr etc and best ofs. They also have a calibration section which is very helpful, but as usual, mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Great idea about the Thread, Lami!

And thanks for sharing your TV settings. I will surely try to replicate them in my own TV.

good idea thread....
what's this mean or do and where is it located in PS4 settings?
PS4: Settings > sound and screen > video output settings > RGB range. Change this to limited (full for PC). Make sure this is low or limited etc on your tv. You'd find it under black level or something similar, depending on the tv.

Having this option mismatched can either give a washed out or crushed black look alone. You should either go limited or full on both your devices. Keep it on limited for consoles. PCs are a different story because they use the full range so should be full on both (usually it's automatically done for PCs I think).

PS4: Settings > sound and screen > video output settings > RGB range. Change this to limited (full for PC). Make sure this is low or limited etc on your tv. You'd find it under black level or something similar, depending on the tv.

Having this option mismatched can either give a washed out or crushed black look alone. You should either go limited or full on both your devices. Keep it on limited for consoles. PCs are a different story because they use the full range so should be full on both (usually it's automatically done for PCs I think).
ok, but there is automatic and it says "change this only when you have a HDMI device that does not send RGB range correctly"

So automatic should suffice

Have been playing all my games to see performance differences and response time and it all works as advertised.

With The Witcher 3 i noticed the most difference because of 2 things that stand out trees and fast attacks from monsters.
Try these tests :
When auto motion plus is on standard (tv adds 6-8 frames to make it smooth taking time to do so in the process) the frames are smooth as butter rotating the camera around Geralt as you look at the trees in the background. With gaming mode on you see a little bit of choppy frame rates doing the same thing looking at the trees in the background.

When fighting monsters (drowners/foglets) with gaming mode on you can see the attacks coming easier giving you more time to dodge. With auto motion plus set on standard (tv adds 6-8 frames to make it smooth taking time to do so in the process) you don't see those attacks as fast or easy and you have less time to dodge.

So to sum it up:
gaming mode on gives you better response times for combat with a little choppiness in frame-rates.
auto motion plus set on standard (tv adds 6-8 frames to make it smooth taking time to do so in the process) gives you smooth as butter frame-rates but less response times for combat.

This works with Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne too.

Last edited:
Have been playing all my games to see performance differences and response time and it all works as advertised.

With The Witcher 3 i noticed the most difference because of 2 things that stand out trees and fast attacks from monsters.
Try these tests :
When auto motion plus is on standard (tv adds 6-8 frames to make it smooth taking time to do so in the process) the frames are smooth as butter rotating the camera around Geralt as you look at the trees in the background. With gaming mode on you see a little bit of choppy frame rates doing the same thing looking at the trees in the background.

When fighting monsters (drowners/foglets) with gaming mode on you can see the attacks coming easier giving you more time to dodge. With auto motion plus set on standard (tv adds 6-8 frames to make it smooth taking time to do so in the process) you don't see those attacks as fast or easy and you have less time to dodge.

So to sum it up:
gaming mode on gives you better response times for combat with a little choppiness in frame-rates.
auto motion plus set on standard (tv adds 6-8 frames to make it smooth taking time to do so in the process) gives you smooth as butter frame-rates but less response times for combat.

This works with Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne too.
Yep, that's normal and expected. Game mode is intended to remove all unnecessary processing for lower/better input lag. If you prefer automotion and have no issue coping with higher input lag then by all means. It definitely won't help with PES 2018's online beta lag though.

What's your TV again?

EDIT: Nm. Here are the specs for your TV:

2012 55" Samsung UN55ES7100 1080p 240hz 3D LED HDTV 39ms (input lag)

I don't think you'd want to add more to that, as it isn't the best imo.

Last edited:
Yep, that's normal and expected. Game mode is intended to remove all unnecessary processing for lower/better input lag. If you prefer automotion and have no issue coping with higher input lag then by all means. It definitely won't help with PES 2018's online beta lag though.

What's your TV again?

so is a 100ms a second or 1000? Because if it's 1000 then that's incredibly small, it has to be 100. I think monitors have really low (input lag).

my god, look at that price! So how do you find out the (input lag)?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889356333
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889007380
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16889356328
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=16C-000P-00169

Last edited:

What's your TV again?

Yeah, but that 39ms of input lag is when using game mode on his tv. I had a Samsung plasma before that had like 45 - 50ms of input lag in game mode, and I was able to adapt to it. After that I've had a Sony with about 22ms of lag, and currently a Samsung KS8000 with about 20ms, and I can't game on the plasma anymore after using these two tvs. When I bought an Xbox 360 about 12 years ago, I also bought my first HDTV. I felt like everything was unresponsive, and I thought that maybe it was due to the framerate in games or something about the console. One day I had to use my computer monitor to play my 360, and it was a very eye opening moment. Everything was so much responsive that I couldn't bear thinking about playing on the tv. I had discarded using game mode before because the first tvs that included that feature didn't let you change most settings , and I hated how it looked. Nowadays, most tvs let you have a good picture while using game mode so that shouldn't be an issue.

so is a 100ms a second or 1000? Because if it's 1000 then that's incredibly small, it has to be 100. I think monitors have really low (input lag).

my god, look at that price! So how do you find out the (input lag)?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889356333
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889007380
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16889356328
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=16C-000P-00169
Yea monitors have the lowest input lags and are better than TVs at the moment. TVs are slowly getting there though.

Are you looking to buy one?

I'll post the TVs in the order your linked them and their respective input lags:

- Samsung KU630D is the same as the KU6300: Click here. It's been replaced by the MU6300, which is mostly the same but has slightly better input lag outside of game mode, but still high, and much improved input lag in PC mode (4:4:4 indicates PC mode).

- LG 55UH6035 I guess is the 120 hz variant of the 55UH6030, and has an input lag of 33ms according to displaylag.com.

- Samung MU9000 is a new 2017 model and more expensive as you can clearly see. Stats look good overall. Click here for input lag.

- UJ7700 is a 2017 TV as well. It's input lag is the lowest and is impressive. Overall stats is good but you can get better for the price.

If you're looking to buy one now, I'd suggest the TCL P607. Good stats overall and is great for gaming specifically. Very low input lag in all areas and does HDR quite well, and it does Dolby Vision too. Best of all, you can snatch one up for around $650 I believe.

You can have a look at the best to worst current input lag list here.

I suggest you look at all the info and not just input lag in the links to the TVs I've provided. Things like motion blur, reflections, color gamut etc. See what impresses you most.

Yea monitors have the lowest input lags and are better than TVs at the moment. TVs are slowly getting there though.

Are you looking to buy one?

I'll post the TVs in the order your linked them and their respective input lags:

- Samsung KU630D is the same as the KU6300: Click here. It's been replaced by the MU6300, which is mostly the same but has slightly better input lag outside of game mode, but still high, and much improved input lag in PC mode (4:4:4 indicates PC mode).

- LG 55UH6035 I guess is the 120 hz variant of the 55UH6030, and has an input lag of 33ms according to displaylag.com.

- Samung MU9000 is a new 2017 model and more expensive as you can clearly see. Stats look good overall. Click here for input lag.

- UJ7700 is a 2017 TV as well. It's input lag is the lowest and is impressive. Overall stats is good but you can get better for the price.

If you're looking to buy one now, I'd suggest the TCL P607. Good stats overall and is great for gaming specifically. Very low input lag in all areas and does HDR quite well, and it does Dolby Vision too. Best of all, you can snatch one up for around $650 I believe.

You can have a look at the best to worst current input lag list here.

I suggest you look at all the info and not just input lag in the links to the TVs I've provided. Things like motion blur, reflections, color gamut etc. See what impresses you most.
great website man... I just can't believe how prices have came down on these tv's. I paid 1,600 for mine 3 years ago. I'll be getting a "65 this time.

We're moving to Portugal this week and decided when we have a new apartment we'll break from the last 8 years of having a projector to go back to a "regular" TV, in a hot country we don't want to have to have closed blackout curtains to watch tv we want to have nice airflow so I'll definitely be looking at a 4k TV, not sure what size probably at least 55", all depends what bargains I can find!

Is the amount of Hz important on a tv for gaming?

I'm considering a Samsung UE40MU6175XXC but can't figure out the number of Hz and wether it's at all good for gaming. Any help would be much appreciated!

Is the amount of Hz important on a tv for gaming?

I'm considering a Samsung UE40MU6175XXC but can't figure out the number of Hz and wether it's at all good for gaming. Any help would be much appreciated!
Hi Bonano,

Most TVs do 60 hz natively and that's all what consoles need. Consoles' games don't do more than 60fps (60hz). You might want more if you're a PC gamer, but even then you're better off with a monitor because of the much lower input lag and response, plus higher native refresh rates.

According to this guy on reddit, the 61xx series are the equivalent to the 63xx series. Then checking rtings, the MU6300 is a 60hz TV with a low 20ms input lag, in game mode of course. It looks like a good enough TV for gaming, but a mixed bag overall. Check all the info by clicking on the link. Very informative and you can see what you like and don't like. Clicking on the "settings" part on the page will show you how to calibrate it, which is very helpful.

Anything you don't understand you can always ask :)

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for your reply Lami.

A guy in a local store here in Copenhagen told me that TV's needed to be 100 Hz for gaming and that the tv I linked was only 50 trying to sell me one twice the price.

Your link was really helpful, it seems the only real issue is viewing angles. Will have to take a look at it in a store to see how it looks from different angles.

Thanks so much for your reply Lami.

A guy in a local store here in Copenhagen told me that TV's needed to be 100 Hz for gaming and that the tv I linked was only 50 trying to sell me one twice the price.

Your link was really helpful, it seems the only real issue is viewing angles. Will have to take a look at it in a store to see how it looks from different angles.
Good on you. Never fall for these guys. They're always trying to sell you the more expensive stuff, well most of them. Ever since I found tv reviews on the net a decade ago I stopped listening to salesmen and do the research myself.

This site lists the 6100 specs as well, just not the input lag, which doesn't matter as we know what it is from rtings and looks to be similar to the 6400. It's an EU site as well which helps a lot. It identifies the TV as a 60hz, which is good. I think all TVs nowadays support 60hz even if they're marketed as 50hz TVs, the EU standard.

Best thing now is to check the TV at the store. If they're flexible, they might let you get your console to test, if you're down with that. If you do, get a game you know is a 60fps game to test.

Good luck :)

Dearest Lami,
Sorry to 'use' you as some kind of customer service or something, but you might be able to help me on this.

I recently bought an LG 43UH6500. It seems to be some model made by LG for certain countries only (not first world... LOL). It's a 43'' 4K TV. I can't find much info on this particular model anywhere. Do you know if there's any equivalence with some other model? Or maybe it's the some model under a different name or number?.

I found it on RTINGS but sometimes I think that an "average" TV for them represents an awesome TV for most of us, since they have access to real top-of-the-top gear.

Thank you very much indeed.

Dearest Lami,
Sorry to 'use' you as some kind of customer service or something, but you might be able to help me on this.

I recently bought an LG 43UH6500. It seems to be some model made by LG for certain countries only (not first world... LOL). It's a 43'' 4K TV. I can't find much info on this particular model anywhere. Do you know if there's any equivalence with some other model? Or maybe it's the some model under a different name or number?.

I found it on RTINGS but sometimes I think that an "average" TV for them represents an awesome TV for most of us, since they have access to real top-of-the-top gear.

Thank you very much indeed.
Hey man. Ask all you want. That's what we have the thread here for, to help each other :) I'm not a pro by any means, no where near, but years of research helped me know a little more.

The one you found on rtings is the same one you have. They gave it a 7 overall which is good. Like you said, if you're satisfied with it then that's all that matters. They're always comparing to the high end TVs, and that's how it is. Looks like your TV supports a good enough input lag in game mode, and good enough in PC mode (although competitive PC gamers would find ~35ms high, they like theirs as close to 0ms as possible, which can be achieved on monitors). Better not venture outside game mode though, 130ms+ is too noticeable if you're used to 20ms. But again though, if you're totally fine with that then it's all that matters in the end. If you do get used to 20ms though you'll definitely not go anywhere near 130ms+ again :P

Thanks. Yeah. My PC Monitor is a G-Sync one, 1ms, 144hz. So I will definetely notice the difference when hooking my PC to this TV to play PES 2018.
So... I should set it to Game Mode and then should I do anything else in the Settings department of the TV you can think of?.

Thank you.

Hmmm, I think you misunderstood my last question buddy.
I was asking you if, besides Game Mode, there is any other setting you can think of? Like turning off this, or turning on something else?-

I know you probably don't know because you don't have the same TV, but maybe there are some common settings for all LG TVs or something like that.

Hmmm, I think you misunderstood my last question buddy.
I was asking you if, besides Game Mode, there is any other setting you can think of? Like turning off this, or turning on something else?-

I know you probably don't know because you don't have the same TV, but maybe there are some common settings for all LG TVs or something like that.
Oh, Lol. Sorry.

If you click on the "settings" part in that rtings link you'll get their calibrations for your TV. I'll link it here anyway. It tells you what you need to turn off and change.

I got a Samsung KS7000 (8000 in the US) a few months ago after the newer models came out so got it for a great price.

I'd definitely recommend it if you can get hold of one as everything looks stunning in 4K. It has HDR as well and there is no input lag at all.

If you can't get a 7000/8000 check out the newer 9000 the reviews for both are brilliant.

I got a Samsung KS7000 (8000 in the US) a few months ago after the newer models came out so got it for a great price.

I'd definitely recommend it if you can get hold of one as everything looks stunning in 4K. It has HDR as well and there is no input lag at all.

If you can't get a 7000/8000 check out the newer 9000 the reviews for both are brilliant.
I read that the JS was better than the KS for gaming (don't know if it's true or not), so bought one a while ago at an absolute bargain price, and when I got it home, it was doing this:

Samsung wouldn't do anything about it because it was the older model, and I had a right job getting a refund from the shop, who "couldn't recreate it". Thankfully, they caved after I sent them a link to the video above ten times a day.

Wouldn't buy a Samsung again (just my experience)...

My LG OLED UHD tv is still the best Tv I've ever seen.
Got it last April and the picture is amazing. I'm still blown away by 4k on it.
Whatever tv you get just remember to get it professionally calibrated. Well worth £200.

I read that the JS was better than the KS for gaming (don't know if it's true or not), so bought one a while ago at an absolute bargain price, and when I got it home, it was doing this:

Samsung wouldn't do anything about it because it was the older model, and I had a right job getting a refund from the shop, who "couldn't recreate it". Thankfully, they caved after I sent them a link to the video above ten times a day.

Wouldn't buy a Samsung again (just my experience)...

Gaah that really sucks! Remember a few years back when I bought a TV and in Fifa it had a ghosting effect I couldn't get rid of? That was a right pain! Fortunately Sweden has a really strong consumer policy so I could return it and I got a 100hz TV you recommended (before we made the switch to projectors a year or so later) :)

Definitely something I'm worried about when we buy our new TV in Portugal is whether it'll play games OK, need to do very thorough research before buying.

Back
Top Bottom