70s/80s Liverpool V 90s United V 00 Chelsea

Which team was/is the strongest in your opinion?

• 70s/80s Liverpool

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • 90s Manchester United

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • 00 - Present Day Chelsea

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
Vannizzlefashizzal said:
in terms of success it was englands best period in europe, but ask anyone who followed and went to the games during that time, it wasnt a good time, remember it bred the atmosphere that led us to two stadium disasters.
I was talking in terms of football not the following, of course. However, personally speaking I didn't see much trouble. Like anything though, if you look hard enough you can find it.

Speaking positively, it seems that English football has largely sorted itself out - although I could hardly say the same for Italy, Spain, Turkey, Argentina, etc....

crayon said:
I was talking in terms of football not the following, of course. However, personally speaking I didn't see much trouble. Like anything though, if you look hard enough you can find it.

Speaking positively, it seems that English football has largely sorted itself out - although I could hardly say the same for Italy, Spain, Turkey, Argentina, etc....

I understand what you meant but when you have seen it or lived thru it its all relative...

rockykabir said:
Its nice to see that the truth prevails...Liverpool comes from behind and leads the polls ;)

well in terms of trohpies won, obviously no one can touch them, but thats the only way they are superior IMO (although thats enough lol) .

impossible to compare them to the teams of the 90's or 00's cos the rules are different and alot of the stuff done in the 70's wouldnt be allowed now...

In their time Liverpool ruled over Europe Vann, neither Man Utd or Chelsea have done that (for Chelsea it's still possible but i doubt it...and even as i like Chelsea it would not be good for football).

gerd said:
In their time Liverpool ruled over Europe Vann, neither Man Utd or Chelsea have done that (for Chelsea it's still possible but i doubt it...and even as i like Chelsea it would not be good for football).

I know that gerd, aston villa and notts forest won three European Cups in the same era, IMO they deserve as much if not more credit than lfc.

Aston villa won once, Forest won twice

We won it four times between '77 and '84.. I think that particular Liverpool era deserves all the credit they are getting.

Forest were an amazing side from what I've seen. Without them and Villa, we could have won a few more league and cup titles ;)

There were some excellent european sides in the 70s/80s as well

rockykabir said:
Aston villa won once, Forest won twice

We won it four times between '77 and '84.. I think that particular Liverpool era deserves all the credit they are getting.

between 77 and 82 they brought home 3 of the 6 European Cups, all im saying is the teams that won the other 3 dont get the same credit....

I'll have to disagree...

I've heard/read a lot about Forest. Their team and manager are forever legendary - especially when u consider the change from the team they were to the team they had become. Something which is so rare to find these days.

Sadly, these days Forest are playing their football in the depths of League One and many people seem to forget their past credentials. The same goes for mid-table Villa.

People seem to remember Liverpool more cos of their sheer dominance of the domestic and european competitions. Many of the players are now stars/football pundits and ever present on TV. Liverpool are current european champions etc...

rockykabir said:
I'll have to disagree...

I've heard/read a lot about Forest. Their team and manager are forever legendary - especially when u consider the change from the team they were to the team they had become. Something which is so rare to find these days.

Sadly, these days Forest are playing their football in the depths of League One and many people seem to forget their past credentials. The same goes for mid-table Villa.

People seem to remember Liverpool more cos of their sheer dominance of the domestic and european competitions. Many of the players are now stars/football pundits and ever present on TV. Liverpool are current european champions etc...

people remember liverpool cos they ram it down everyones throats and of the three teams they are much bigger...

it doesnt lessen the achievment of villa and forest winning the 3 european cups in that period, the way liverpool fans tell it you'd think no other english team won anything during that time...

Vannizzlefashizzal said:
people remember liverpool cos they ram it down everyones throats and of the three teams they are much bigger

[size=+7]5 TIMES[/size]

english teams dominated europe through the 70's up until 85

liverpool, 4 european cups & 2 uefa cups
forest, 2 european cups
villa, 1 european cup
spurs, 2 uefa cups
ipswich, 1 eufa cup

chelsea, everton & man city all won the cup winners cup

it shows just how strong the english game was at that time and they all deserve credit but liverpool stand out because of 8 league titles, 1 fa cup & 4 league cups won in the same period of time

all through this thread you've tried to belittle everything liverpool achieved in this era but the facts speak for themselves

as for playing boring football i've not got a clue what you're on about, 78/79 was probably our best league performance during that era and we finished up with a goal difference of +69 (the only team thats got anywhere near that in the modern era is chelsea last season with +57) and conceded only 16 goals, only 5 games were won 1-0 and our results included 7-0, 6-0 & 5-0 wins, boring my arse fact was we were just as capable of going out and hammering teams as united were during the 90's

notice you also conveniently forgot to mention the team from 87 to 90 which played some of the best football i've ever seen and easily compares to that of united during the 90's

in terms of success it was englands best period in europe, but ask anyone who followed and went to the games during that time, it wasnt a good time, remember it bred the atmosphere that led us to two stadium disasters.

what the fuck that has to do with question in the first post is beyond me, yeah there was a lot of trouble especially in the 70's and early 80's but that has nothing to do with what happened on the pitch, liverpool won all those trophies because they were a great side with great management

and what happened at hillsborough has nothing to do with trouble between fans, it was down to poor stadium design and the actions of the police

I've been reading this thread and resisted posting on Vann's opinion so far, but Fishcake just summed it up.

England's most successful period in European club history was in fact "a dark time". The little dig at Liverpool's dominance, hinting that they only did so because football was different back then and "and alot of the stuff done in the 70's wouldnt be allowed now...". Liverpool won 3 European Cups while Aston Villa won 1 and Forest 2, but they deserve "more credit than lfc."

"it doesnt lessen the achievment of villa and forest winning the 3 european cups in that period, the way liverpool fans tell it you'd think no other english team won anything during that time..."

They won it 3 times, they're entitled to brag. The way you go on you'd think they sneaked into the stadium and nicked the trophy every year, not that they'd actually dominated European football.

The fact is Liverpool are the most successful English club in Europe, the current European Champions and that just sticks in your craw. You ain't like the Murphy's!

ive got no problems with liverpool being the most sucessful club in the country, thats always been the case in my lifetime, thats why we are rivals....

I just think in the same period forest and villa deserve as much credit, Forest matched liverpools two in a row and for a club that size I think it derseves recognition....

I'm sure they got their credit, but they don't deserve as much credit as a side that won it three times, nevermind more credit which is what you said earlier? :eh:

fishcake said:
[size=+7]5 TIMES[/size]

english teams dominated europe through the 70's up until 85

liverpool, 4 european cups & 2 uefa cups
forest, 2 european cups
villa, 1 european cup
spurs, 2 uefa cups
ipswich, 1 eufa cup

chelsea, everton & man city all won the cup winners cup

it shows just how strong the english game was at that time and they all deserve credit but liverpool stand out because of 8 league titles, 1 fa cup & 4 league cups won in the same period of time

of course liverpool stand out, of all the teams mentioned liverpool are a huge club, I have a wind up with scousers cos its always been that way, of course I know how strong they we're I got to see them thru the 80's and they played better then than they did in the 70's from what I've been told....

As I said lfc are the miles ahead of all of us when it comes to trophies, I have a dig cos its a scouse/manc thing...

Fair as ever Vann...
About Villa and Nottingham Forest.
Nottingham Forest got the credit they deserved, a good team without real stars (Burns, Francis and Robertson maybe a litle bit).
Villa...all credit to them but that was kind of a fluke...
I rate Spurs in the 80's higher...

But one just has to face it: Liverpool rule them all...

Because Chelsea look like dominating the next 6-10 years. I should have asked the question like this: If you HAD to play one of them teams, which one would most likely beat you?

ninjabreakz said:
Because Chelsea look like dominating the next 6-10 years. I should have asked the question like this: If you HAD to play one of them teams, which one would most likely beat you?

AT the moment, probably all of them!! :lmao:

it's which team is the strongest. Chelsea deserve to be in there. They are BLOODY strong. their points tally for this year says it all really.

Back
Top Bottom