70s/80s Liverpool V 90s United V 00 Chelsea

Which team was/is the strongest in your opinion?

• 70s/80s Liverpool

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • 90s Manchester United

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • 00 - Present Day Chelsea

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters
N

ninjabreakz

Which team impressed/impresses you the most? Don't bring the trophies into the equation, just base it on squad depth, management, attractive football and winning ability. Discuss.

The United midfield with Giggs, Beckham, Scholes and captain Keane! Best midfield ever in my opinion.

United, though I didn't see Liverpool in the 70s/80s and Chelsea are just a bore.

Arsenal from a couple of seasons ago were really great though.

joostebrood said:
Best midfield ever has to be Rijkaard, Litmanen en Ronald de Boer in 1995 - Ajax.

Ajax are not in the poll, sir! =; ;)

Concerning the poll: Liverpool, just look at the silverware...
About Ajax i think they've had better midfield line-ups that that particular one Joost...

Gerrie Muhren-Haan-Neeskens

I dont think this has anything to do with silverware cuz if it was, Chelsea wouldnt be on there with Man Utd and Liverpool.

My dad tells me that there used to be a time when it was headline news if any team had beaten Liverpool in the league or in Europe - such was their dominance. I was, however, too young to appreciate how good they were.

Man U were a different class to the rest of the Premiership in the 90s but this was partly due to the crapness of the rest. Although they usually reached the quarter final of the Champions league, they were beatable (apart from their incredible 98/99 season of course). They were a good team nevertheless.

I'll need a bit of time with Chelsea. They are v good but it is in highly different circumstances. I mean, will Mourinho be able to keep two A-grade teams happy for so long? The jury is out.

People say that memories blossom with age and we often look at them witha pair of rose tinted glasses - I'm sure within a few years time, people will say the same about Man U.

Considering the strength of the opposition and the sheer ruthlessness of their play (and of course, a bit of bias), Liverpool of the 80s gets my vote.

But lets not forget the great Milan and Ajax sides who were just as amazing. They will probably all come in my unordered top 3.

Last edited:
Liverpool of the 70s/80s was considered to be mighty all around Europe. The United one, from what I know, was more mighty in the UK, but not as much as Liverpool was in Europe.

what a load of rubbish. in terms of attractive football you put chelsea of 00 and not arsenal? if trophies don't come into question either...

i feel as though i wasted my time even looking at this thread.

Milanista said:
Liverpool of the 70s/80s was considered to be mighty all around Europe. The United one, from what I know, was more mighty in the UK, but not as much as Liverpool was in Europe.
This is true but I'm not sure how this would give Liverpool an edge over Man Utd. Cuz Liverpool were a good side in England and in Europe. But although Man Utd werent as good as Liverpool in Europe, they were much better than them domestically. Which is why they held so many records such as most goals in a season, victories in a season, most clean sheets,etc (which are slowly being broken by Chelsea :( )
MUTV show many full classic Man Utd games and you can see that the type of football they played was like a mix of Arsenal at their best and Chelsea's defence.

70/80's Liverpool. The European cups don't lie.

Man Yoo of the 90's were sick but the rest of the prem were crap during their reign, until Arsene came along.

I think to say the rest of the premiership was crap when we dominated is a bit of a dis-service to Blackburn and Newcastle who both played some excellent football for a couple of years. Even Liverpool during the "Spice Boy" era had a lot of talent, just underachieved majorly.

Without a doubt, 80s Liverpool... Ian Rush, John Wark, Jan Mölby, Dalglish, Nicol, Hansen, Lawrenson, Big Nose and that Aussie who developed the Predator... summin Johnstone.

Obviously, the United team of the 90's were the one you loved to hate. Never gave up, and had a good midfield, and the Soul Brothers up front, and of course Cantona.

The invincible team of the Arse from 2 years ago... so close to perfection... apart from the big one in Europe.

Chelsea team of the last 2 years...don't make me laugh. I'd rather eat dog shit off a pavement with a plastic knife and fork. Who is Chelsea?? Apart from the oil money, a team who so nearly became Leeds Part II.... and sort your pitch out... it's a f*cking disgrace. If i want to go to the seaside and see sand, i'll go to Margate. I don't pay my TV Licence to watch some shit coloured pitch. £200mil on players and your first championship in 50 years.. yeah.. great team that..

Last edited:
The other sides in the Premiership were not Europe worthy imo - but I guess that depends on whether people believe that European contention is a good way to measure quality. With Liverpool in the 80s, they had teams like Clough's Nottingham Forest.

Even Everton were alright :shock:

But Man U were a brilliant side no doubt. The best English side I've seen playing (as I missed the 80s pretty much). At one time, they had the best midfield in the world imo. But yeah, they were the team to hate - sign of a good team I spose...

Man, I wished I lived through football in the 80s....minus the fashion obviously. Its a shame we got ourselves and English teams banned thus preventing their development :(

Last edited:
Milanista said:

Not to take anything away from Liverpools wins in Europe, but Uniteds challenage was a lot harder in the 90's due to the Spanish and Italian teams being a force. In the late 70's, English football was the best in Europe because of our fitness levels and it wasn't until the mid 80's that the Europeans caught up with us (partly due to our ban).
I can see Chelsea winning it a few times in the next 10 years.

marukomu said:
Not to take anything away from Liverpools wins in Europe, but Uniteds challenage was a lot harder in the 90's due to the Spanish and Italian teams being a force. In the late 70's, English football was the best in Europe because of our fitness levels and it wasn't until the mid 80's that the Europeans caught up with us (partly due to our ban).
I can see Chelsea winning it a few times in the next 10 years.
Sorry, I have to disagree. Italian teams were a force in the 80's too - we played two of them in finals - Roma and Juventus (Boniek and Platini in the ill-fated final of '85) - and beat Roma in Rome! I also disagree with fitness levels - there were sides who were far and above our fitness levels - so we had to starve them of posession - of which the Liverpool defence was a master at.

I think that Arsenal have displayed some of the finest football I have ever seen two years ago (the beautiful game it certainly was), Man Utd had the best midfield and Liverpool the best defence during their periods of dominance.

...and the trophy cabinet doesn't lie.:lol:

Last edited:
I think there is only one objective criterium to compare teams from differerent decades: sliverware.
Liverpool have the most silverware...
And don't forget that in 70's and the 80's English teams were the best in the world: Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa, Nottingham Forest all won EC's. Leeds should have won at least two EC's...
Liverpool between roughly 75 and 85 was the best team ever...it all stopped on that ill-fated night in Brussels nearly 21 ago...with the ban English football became isolated and English football has never really restored that hegemony...in a way the great Man Utd team of the 90's (god i loved that team) was a victim of the ban...and so maybe the comparision is a litle bit unfair to Man Utd...
But it certainlyu isn't true that Italian and Spanish clubs were less better then...You only have to look at the great Juventus side with Platini, Boniek, Paolo Rossi, Tardelli, Cabrini, Gentile, that great libero they had (forgot his name: great player...Milanista help me...).

IceMan_Bergkamp said:
Chelsea team of the last 2 years...don't make me laugh. I'd rather eat dog shit off a pavement with a plastic knife and fork. Who is Chelsea?? Apart from the oil money, a team who so nearly became Leeds Part II.... and sort your pitch out... it's a f*cking disgrace. If i want to go to the seaside and see sand, i'll go to Margate. I don't pay my TV Licence to watch some shit coloured pitch. £200mil on players and your first championship in 50 years.. yeah.. great team that..

But at least Chelsea LOOK like winning the European Cup and dominating English football for a while. Arsenal have NEVER looked like winning the Champions league.

Sour grapes anyone? :lol:

IceMan_Bergkamp said:

That's a JEALOUS post. That "little" blue club have more 26 points than your club.

That little blue club also walks all over Arsenal every time they meet these days - the tables have turned Gooners!

And as the thread asks who impresses/ impressed the most, I would have to say the little blue club. They are a relentless machine and no matter how superior liverpool, Arsenal or Man Utd were they simply cannot match them for results, points and goals against.

You can buy all the best players in the world - you still have to form and manage eleven hard working players for 90+ minutes and Mourihno has installed this. Bradley just sounds like he is a bitter lemon.

Back
Top Bottom