8800GTX problems on PES 6 and 2008 (Please read if you have that card)

Arakorn

Non-League
3 February 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Real Madrid
I have a strange problem. Every once in a while, both in PES 6 and 2008, I lose the connection between my monitor and my GPU, and the screen goes black (says check connection or something). This happens both with my regular monitor; the Samsung Syncmaster 226BW, and another computer's Acer 17" LCD.

Now, my CPU (Interl Core 2 Quad Q6600) runs really hot, and I've been told that this could cause it, and I've also ordered a new heat sink and fan. But when I went to my retailer to complain, they said the issue is in the graphics card, and there's something that prevents the GPU and the game engine from working together. This seems likely as PES is the only thing I've experienced this in. They recommended me to try a new driver, and check if anyone else has got this problem.

I've got a (pre overclocked) MSI GeForce 8800GTX, with the latest NVidia driver (163.39), but it also happened with an old beta driver (one that Bioshock said I should use as the previous didn't work with Bioshock, apparently. I can't remember if I had the black screen with that driver though).

Basically what happens is that randomly in the game (in the beginning it was usually in the second game in a row, but later on it has been the first and even the menu, for example as I'm changing my lineup), the screen goes black, but you can still hear the sounds. (Quickly pause the game so that you won't get scored on. :P) Sometimes it comes back immediately, sometimes after a while; I once had to wait half an hour! Oddly enough removing/putting the backcover of my monitor back on seems to make the game come back...

So I was wondering if anyone else had this super annoying problem, that I can't seem to fix. It's especially annoying as PES is the game I play most. ;)
Next I'm going to ask for help from Nvidia. :(

I have a E6600@3,2Ghz with a 8800gtx running the 163.71 Beta drivers and i don't have that problem. You should try and check your CPU and graphics card temperature, ´cause that could be the problem (Try Everest).

It's important to know what other components r u running your PC with, like motherboard, Power Supply, OS, and so on ...

I don't think it's the graphicscard either.
It sounds like a hardware problem, as it occurs at random. Could be overheating of your CPU or graphics card, or even not enough power going to the videocard.

As Platinum said, check your temps before doing anything else.

Yes, I do have a temp problem, and in fact I have ordered a new heatsink and fan for my CPU (The Zalman CNPS9700).

Will check back after that. :)

BTW, I just had a 10min game (double the normal, I think one half time is 10min) on the demo, and it didn't happen!

:lmao: sounds like your pc goes to sleep try and move your mouse during the black out ..if that happens adjust your power to never sleep.I have a dual 8800GTS 620mb and I need to up my power supply to 850 watts( mind you i dont use PAL)

Last edited:
Ehm, I am a user of 8600GT, but I had the same problem with PES6 and PES2008.

I am playing the games with my pads, and it seems that pc goes to power saving mode after playing the game about 20 minutes.(Display went black!) :(

I solved this with a makeshift, which changed the power option.

I don't know which OS you are using, but if you are using Vista, try following.

Go to control panel, and open "Power Option".

Click "change plan settings" and change the value of "Turn off the display".

Default setting is 20 minutes.

I changed it into Never.

However, when I reboot, the setting I changed goes back to default :(

I don't know why. However, it works for me anyway.

Last edited:
I doubt that it is my monitor going to rest, as putting the power down and back again doesn't help.

On a sidenote I played a bit today, 2 games in a row and no black screen for example! (I wonder if it was 10 or 15 min games...)

Back
Top Bottom