AC Milan -Anderlecht: the aftermath.

Stan

Allez les Lionceaux !!!
12 September 2002
First of all, i don't want to hurt anyone's feeling with this thread.

This thread is not directed against AC Milan or against Milan or Italian football fans in general.

This is about what happened after the match and how litle clubs can sometimes react very "odd" (and this is an understatement).

This is a story that happened to the brother of one of my colleagues.
This guy is a huge Anderlecht fan and he accompanies Anderlecht to all their away matches, even in the CL.

The guy got tickets for the match in San Siro and went to Milan.
After the match he and another Anderlecht fan came across a group of 14 Milan fans.
Without being provoked the Italian fans attacked both Anderlecht fans, subsequently my colleague's brother's ear was cut off.

Now all this was seen by two Anderlecht celebrity fans: former Belgian sports legends Eddy Merckx (cyclist and perhaps the best sportsman of the 20th century) and Paul Van Himst (Belgian football legend in the 60's and the 70's, played with Pele in that football film Escape for Victory). Merckx and Van Himst immediately called the emergency services.

My colleagues brother needed an operation and furtheron will need aesthaetic surgery. Both operations are very, very expensive and can cause serious financial problems to the Belgian fan.

Merckx and Van Himst urged Anderlecht to make a complaint with the Italian justice and AC Milan, but Anderlecht refused. The official reason: they did not wanted to jeopardize the good relations with Milan....quite shcking for their big fan and a nice example how big the gap is between the "Top 14" clubs and clubs who want to become big clubs.

Last edited:
I think firstly this is a terrible story, secondly Anderlecht are out of order to think of "business" before fans.

However it does kind of shock me to hear this it doesn't surprise me. When Boro went to Rome they had a similar kind of treatment. I don't think there is any need for this sort of behaviour. England get so much bad press for hooligans but I will say one thing, when ever it happens it is usually an attack on other hooligans or the police. The Italians just seem to want to target who ever is available.

Now I'm not trying to label all Italians the same way, I know not all English have a violent streak in them. Just that few ruin it for everyone else.

I hope your friends brother is aright and just wish Anderlecht were less cowardly.

Stan said:
Merckx and Van Himst urged Anderlecht to make a complaint with the Italian justice and AC Milan, but Anderlecht refused. The official reason: they did not wanted to jeopardize the good relations with Milan....quite shcking for their big fan and a nice example how big the gap is between the "Top 14" clubs and clubs who want to become big clubs.

i'm not suprised at all.well it seems that the relationship to milan is more important than a fan who spends his whole life with his club.

anderlecht could at least pay the operation.

Anderlecht played very competitive match, it was actually fun watching them and their foreign players play, did Anderlecht get more foreign players in recent years ?

Cloud1863 said:
I think firstly this is a terrible story, secondly Anderlecht are out of order to think of "business" before fans.

However it does kind of shock me to hear this it doesn't surprise me. When Boro went to Rome they had a similar kind of treatment. I don't think there is any need for this sort of behaviour. England get so much bad press for hooligans but I will say one thing, when ever it happens it is usually an attack on other hooligans or the police. The Italians just seem to want to target who ever is available.

Now I'm not trying to label all Italians the same way, I know not all English have a violent streak in them. Just that few ruin it for everyone else.

I hope your friends brother is aright and just wish Anderlecht were less cowardly.
Not trying to defend anyone here, but last I heard the Boro fans were throwing beer bottles at the Roma fans. There was also the West Ham fans wearing shirts saying "MAFIA" when they were going to play Palermo vandalizing the city's monuments.

Last edited:
I did not want to start a discussion about "Italian fans" or "English fans" or some replies like Massacre's (which is a sort of vengeance for the thread about the Armenian genocide and what i said there...a litle bit childish if you ask me).
Anderlecht is to blame...yes...
I would have nothing against the fact that some mod would close this thread...i'm afraid this thread could lead to nationalist discussions...this could have happened in Belgium too (as a matter of fact it did once at Heysel...). There are bad football fans everywhere.

Despite tragedies like this, i still love Italian and English football...

I think the main problem with your first post is the G14, UEFA and FIFA.... its basically competition between 3 organizations who want to establish their own rules.

Milanista said:
Not trying to defend anyone here, but last I heard the Boro fans were throwing beer bottles at the Roma fans. There was also the West Ham fans wearing shirts saying "MAFIA" when they were going to play Palermo vandalizing the city's monuments.

Well I don't know the full extent of what happened from start to finish regarding Roma v Boro. All I know is that some fans who were sitting in the town square, were attacked with a gang of Ultras. One of the guys that were stabbed was with his 11 year old son. This group went into the square with no other intent than to look out Boro fans and cause trouble.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/4808246.stm

Regarding fans winding up other fans by wearing "Mafia" t-shirts , to me that's moronic but not really all that bad. Vandalising while still nothing on violence is pretty poor, not much can be said about that.

@ Stan

Myself I have no bitterness towards Italians, merely pointing out facts by which I have no intentions of starting an argument.

These were fans of Milanista's club but I wouldn't start blaming him for some brain-dead scum just because they support the same club. I will always say this that the people that cause trouble in the name of football are just a small percentage. English, Italian, German or Spanish fans all have problems with race, colour, nationalism somewhere and in Scotland you have religion.

Last edited:
No problem cloud...i know your postwas well meant...
I also agree with you Milanista. i 'm notparticularly a big fan of UEFA or FIFA, but still...i prefer them to the G14...
Clubs should not occupy themselves with rules...

Back
Top Bottom