.::AC Milan confirm Shevchenko exit ::..

Mourinho only plays one striker at a time in a sort of battering ram role. Is Sheva really cut out for that? Surely Chelsea will have to adapt their formation to incorporate him effectively?

I think he'll underperform. If you watch Milan games this season, hes been slower and slightly less reactive than before. He still plays great, but just not as well as a year or two ago.

The guys class in a glass, full stop.

For me Eto'o is the top striker in the world, and then Shevvy who has been at the top for longer though right behind him.

It's a huge signing along with Ballack if it comes off.

Hmmmm, I wonder if I should start another 'Is the EPL finished now?' thread. :lmao:

FD

fd1972uk said:
The guys class in a glass, full stop.

For me Eto'o is the top striker in the world, and then Shevvy who has been at the top for longer though right behind him.

It's a huge signing along with Ballack if it comes off.

Hmmmm, I wonder if I should start another 'Is the EPL finished now?' thread. :lmao:

FD

Eto'o is overrated.

RuneEdge said:
Care to explain your opinion?

Now Im not saying that Eto'o is a bad player but I do feel he is overrated, he is not the greatest striker in the world atm. Henry, Shevchenko, Crespo, Adriano and Zlatan are all better strikers, I would even say Larsson is a better striker than Eto'o.

Now Shev and Henry are both more complete than Eto'o for a start, and the others plus proberly a few more I could find are overall better team players, better technicaly or better finishes than Eto'o . I think you could put many strikers in his place and get as many goals, also I don't think he will do anywhere near as well in either the Prem or Seria A. I think most of the players Ive mentioned above could play in any league in Europe and score goals.

It's a matter of opinion, some people like watching a team play with wingers , some people don't. This is how I feel about Eto'o.

He's a striker, strikers score goals, and the past couple of seasons there has been no-one better. For me he's the best in the planet atm at doing that.

You say they could play in any league, says who? Shevechnko if he comes to England, we'll see, however I obviously think he will do well as the defences in England he'll face are pretty mediocre compared to Serie A. Henry squibbed in Italy, fact. So you can never tell.

From what I've saw Eto'o doesn't have that bad a record when he's faced off against British teams.

Although you certainly do have an opinion, but to consider him over-rated is a touch bull for me though.

FD

fd1972uk said:
Henry squibbed in Italy, fact. So you can never tell.
Henry was deployed as a winger at Juve; fact. Since then, Henry has improved dramatically; fact. Since then, Henry masterminded a 5-1 thrashing of Inter, put three past Roma, and this season, was the best player on the pitch in a 2-0 victory over Juve; fact.

I think Eto'o is a great striker. He has the best passers in the world assisting him, but he still puts the all in the back of the net. More then once, he has also shown he is capable of great skill and imagination. I don't know if he's under-rated or over-rated, but's he's a great player.

I'm not slagging off Henry, actually I've heard from numerous media/fans etc saying that he chokes on the big stage and are they far wrong? You have listed some games, but let's be honest there was a host more where he turned invisible.

People say he choked in the final too, I actually thought he wasn't that bad and played well, but there you go about opinions.

Henry probably won't play up front for France this summer.

I was only really referring to the remark about how Henry and Shevvy could play in any league, seeming to mean that Eto'o couldn't. Henry has played in another league and flopped, Dennis Bergkamp and Patrick Viera are another couple of classic examples, you can never tell how a player will turn out in another league.

FD

I know you weren't slagging him off. I wanted to make a point, however, that his ability and skills were nowhere near the level they were when he was plunged into the Juve first team as a winger, so the fact that he underperformed then shouldn't really factor into the completely transformed player he is, who I think is the second best player in the world.

The examples I cited were to show that I think he is capable of doing well in Italy, but as you said, we can never tell, and however good Henry's track record has been against Italian opposition since joining Arsenal, maybe a season in the Italian league wouldn't be as fruitful, but, more likely, I think he would fit in.

I think the same would (will; considering it's a foregone conclusion) apply to Sheva at Chelsea. Maybe there will be initial teething problems but he is world-class and I can't see him underperforming.

fd1972uk said:
He's a striker, strikers score goals, and the past couple of seasons there has been no-one better. For me he's the best in the planet atm at doing that.

You say they could play in any league, says who? Shevechnko if he comes to England, we'll see, however I obviously think he will do well as the defences in England he'll face are pretty mediocre compared to Serie A. Henry squibbed in Italy, fact. So you can never tell.

From what I've saw Eto'o doesn't have that bad a record when he's faced off against British teams.

Although you certainly do have an opinion, but to consider him over-rated is a touch bull for me though.

FD

To pick a point you made that the defenders are mediocre in England compared to Italy, well I think the same goes in comparing defenders from Spain and England. Apart from a handfull of defenders in Spain the rest are even more mediocre.

Now Im not sure what his record is against British sides but you can really compare the same, if hes playing with Baca sure they are going to create about a dozen chances but If it was with the likes of liverpool the wouldnt play the same and prberly not create the same amount or even kind of chances.

I think part of the reason I feel this way about him is his international form, when playing for Cameroon he doesnt look that great, Drogba looks far better when playing for the Ivory Coast. Now Drogba is a player seen by many as someone who is never worht £24M , but If he went to Milan and scored 20 odd goals or so would he be the best striker in the world?

P.S Congrats on the wee one, thats the first I've noticed.

steevio_uk said:
Chelsea should buy Ruud van Nistelrooy for a quater of the price.
He would be so much better at Chelsea than Shevchenko.

In fact he would be so good there it wouldn't be funny.

shh, dont give the russians ideas, chelski with van nistolrooy is far more scary than with shev. We want them to waste even more money and watch it all go wrong :)

p.s LORD RAFA, get the big donkey!

Cloud1863 said:
I think part of the reason I feel this way about him is his international form, when playing for Cameroon he doesnt look that great, Drogba looks far better when playing for the Ivory Coast. Now Drogba is a player seen by many as someone who is never worht £24M , but If he went to Milan and scored 20 odd goals or so would he be the best striker in the world?

P.S Congrats on the wee one, thats the first I've noticed.

Thanks mate. ;)

I presume you never watched the recent African Nations Cup, as I think Eto'o wasn't too bad for them, top scorer. Think he has something like 1 goal in every 2.5 games or something like that.

I'm hoping for your sanity that your just using Drogba's name because he has a good goalscoring record for his country, as I would find it hard to believe even Drogba's Mum to say that he's better than Eto'o.

FD

Etoo is a great striker, but he does tend to miss quite a lot as well as score for me. He's also one of the most selfish forwards I've ever seen. Of course you need that to a degree to thrive in the striker role, but he is too greedy IMO.

As for Henry, he's only become such a class player because he moved to the EPL, if he'd stayed in Italy maybe he'd never have reached his current level, but I guess that's impossible to say.

Shevchenko, a shame as I always liked the guy, but now couldn't care less. People say the EPL is 'The Daddy', well not in terms of competitiveness I'm afraid. Chelsea have skooshed it for two years and their summer buys will only make it even more ridiculous. If Mourinho doesn't win the CL this year I've a feeling he might jump before he's pushed, and if they do win it, well, will Roman get bored and leave?

Now that would be interesting :).

Well, I like the EPL, but the problem there is that it is very unbalanced. Normally only two teams end up being contenders, and finish well ahead of the rest. At the start of the season, who can you count on for the final win? Let's see: Chelski, United, Arsenal, Liverpool. Period.What is more, in the last 15 years only United, Arsenal, Chelsea and the one-trick-pony Blackburn have won. The worst thing is that no other team does even hint that they can actually fight for the Premiership title.

In the same period, there have been five different winners in Spain, plus Real Sociedad almost winning (held until the very last game) a handful of years ago. But still there are Villareal, Sevilla, Osasuna, Celta... teams that have consistently performed well in the last years and that have been able to beat the greatest teams in their final position. Maybe La Liga has weaker defending, I don't know. There are very defensive teams here. However, the fact that two English teams have reached the European finals means that their level of competitiveness has increased in the last years.

fd1972uk said:
Thanks mate. ;)

I presume you never watched the recent African Nations Cup, as I think Eto'o wasn't too bad for them, top scorer. Think he has something like 1 goal in every 2.5 games or something like that.

I'm hoping for your sanity that your just using Drogba's name because he has a good goalscoring record for his country, as I would find it hard to believe even Drogba's Mum to say that he's better than Eto'o.

FD

I did watch the African nations and yes was top scorer by one goal, but I think that the tourny doesnt really promote football as well as it should/could. I honestly think at International level though Drogba has and will achive more than Eto'o. I think the proof will be in the pudding next season with Eto'o to see if he is the best striker in the world.

i have a feeling that he will not perform well in chelsea because of premiership's fast pace games.

Back
Top Bottom