Al Ahly retain African title

GothicSpiky

Passing Master
21 March 2006
Alx , Egypt
Man Utd
Mohamed Aboutrika scored two minutes into stoppage time to give Al Ahly of Egypt a record-equalling fifth African Champions League title on Saturday.

The dramatic 1-0 triumph before a sell-out 52,000 crowd at the November 7 Stadium left Ahly 2-1 winners on aggregate and they became only the third club to successfully the title.

Midfielder Aboutrika scored his eighth goal of the competition with a low, left-foot volley past goalkeeper Ahmed Jaouachi after a Sfaxien defender partially cleared a cross.

Ahly won the territorial and possession battles after taking the initiative from the kickoff knowing they had to score otherwise Sfaxien would lift the trophy for the first time on the away-goal rule.

But pre-competition no-hopers Sfaxien squandered the best chance of the opening half when unmarked Issam Merdassi headed wide with the goal at his mercy.

Jaouachi made an acrobatic save to foil Hossam Ashour, but luck was on the side of the Tunisian when a Flavio Amado shot rebounded off the crossbar with 11 mintues left.

With time ticking away, it appeared as if patient, cautious Sfaxien would bring the trophy to Tunisia a third time until Aboutrika struck and triggered an immediate exodus of Tunisian supporters.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState%7c0%7c0%7c-1%7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c11%2f12%2f2006%7c11%2f10%2f2006%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c2%7c%7cal+ahly%7c2233391784121335%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=2&tag=1
--------------------------------------

watched the game was fairly good and now Al Ahly will have his second appearance in fifa world club championship in Tokyo this december
and i think konami should think about adding new teams into the game we need maybe 2 african and 2 asian teams some south american and north american teams because all the game has now is european teams.

congratulation to al ahly supporters .
I watched the game and it was ironic cause after watching jeonbuk's dramatic win on the afc champion's league's final against al karamah , my friend told me "may be we'll have such a dramatic senario in the african final" and it happened .
I'll be back to tokyo before december so I'll go watch and support al ahly there . I hope that this time they'll be well prepared and have better results .

yea i watched the asian final too it was dramatic . i hope we have a decent tourney in tokyo this year wish i could go to tokyo to watch and support but im too busy here and about the preparations for tokyo Manuel jose Al Ahly's coach said today that he is going to tokyo with no pressure on him and he'll play just for pleasure he means entertaining football of course .
hope you enjoy the championship in tokyo my friend.\\:o/

yea i watched the asian final too it was dramatic . i hope we have a decent tourney in tokyo this year wish i could go to tokyo to watch and support but im too busy here and about the preparations for tokyo Manuel jose Al Ahly's coach said today that he is going to tokyo with no pressure on him and he'll play just for pleasure he means entertaining football of course .
hope you enjoy the championship in tokyo my friend.\\:o/
last year we had a great tournament . I enjoyed every single game and was astonished by the teams level .
I think this year will be also very nice . too bad they play in december it's soo cold in tokyo at that time .

Back
Top Bottom