Album recommendations

gerd

Retired Footballer
8 January 2002
Over the moon
KRC Genk, Spurs
It's maybe a bit early, but 2005 was a very good year.
Some contenders (and i'm afraid that i forget album titles)

the newe eels
the new Joseph Arthur (in the US out in 2004 and by Rolling Stone voted best album of the year).
Gorillaz
Elbow
Sigur Ros
X&Y by Coldplay
Minimum-Maximum by Kraftwerk
the new Cocorosie (sensation of the year)

and the outstanding album of the year, let's be chauvinistic...

Pocket Revolution the new fantastic album of the world's best unknown band: dEUS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Best albums of the year

Armin van Buuren - Shivers

I like it more and more and MORE each day. Darren Tates's Horizon album just out is pretty darn good too.

Ones that Keep Cropping up on my playlists ( ask me again in 2 days and it will more than likely be different )

Love Kraft - Super Furry Animals
Takk - Sigur Rós
Futures - Jimmy Eat World
Life In Slow Motion - David Gray :o

I'm Wide Awake It's Morning - Bright Eyes
Devils And Dust - Bruce Springsteen
Cold Roses - Ryan Adams

And even though it's actually a 2004 album:
Trouble - Ray Lamontagne

joostebrood said:
Good call. In a similar vein, I'd also recommend Jack Johnson's "In Between Dreams", or at least the single "Breakdown".

Chris Davies said:
Good call. In a similar vein, I'd also recommend Jack Johnson's "In Between Dreams", or at least the single "Breakdown".

Yep, Jack Johnson has got a killer album. Death Cab for Cutie's "Plans" is pretty awesome too. Jason Mraz "Mr. A to Z" is also a pretty good album.

My favourite albums of the year...

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
The Rakes - Capture/Release
Oasis - DBTT
Supergrass - Road to Rouen
Art Brut - Bang Bang Rock & Roll
Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger

Last edited:

Coming from a different perspective, don't hate on it..

AZ - A.W.O.L
Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
The Game - The Documentary
Kanye West - Late Registration
Common - BE
Beanie Sigel - The B Coming
Coldplay - X&Y
Tonedeff - Archetype
Also every Papoose mixtape..

Eh, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, right? I can't choose out of those favourites because I like them for different reasons, but they're the albums that this year have been played over and over, and will continue to be.

DEFECTiON said:
Coming from a different perspective, don't hate on it..

AZ - A.W.O.L
Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
The Game - The Documentary
Kanye West - Late Registration
Common - BE
Beanie Sigel - The B Coming
Coldplay - X&Y
Tonedeff - Archetype
Also every Papoose mixtape..

Eh, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, right? I can't choose out of those favourites because I like them for different reasons, but they're the albums that this year have been played over and over, and will continue to be.

I've been playing that little brother to death, AZ is good too...

there is a hip hop thread somewhere round here...

joostebrood said:
Devils And Dust - Bruce Springsteen
Cold Roses - Ryan Adams

And even though it's actually a 2004 album:
Trouble - Ray Lamontagne
man you hit it on the head joost!!! I love all of those, saw Ray Lamontange a month ago in DC, that dude is on crack, he could barely make sense when he was talking to the audience, im off to see ween in october as well!! And I might see bright eyes..

CSaunders, I went to see Bright Eyes during their Digital Ash tour. It was dissapointing to say the least. I my opinion he should stick with what he does best, even though there's nothing wrong with a little experimenting (is that a word?).
I went to see Ray Lamontagne in April this year. My favorite gig of the year so far, together with Springsteen in Rotterdam in June. Those 2 are closely followed by The Magic Numbers whom I went to last night.

Also a great album, not sure if it was released this year:
The National - Aligator

And here's an album I just started listening to which is really great, it's from 2003 though:
Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway

Bloc Party- silent alarm
Audioslave- out of exile
Coldplay- x and y
razorlight
Jay-z and Linkin park
Oasis- Dont believe the truth

antony and the johnsons both albums,

if you like coldplay, james blunt etc get this album, you will thank me for it

Yes, that Antony & The Johnsons album is very good, as is Arcade Fire - Funeral Plan
I'd also like to add Jacksonville City Nights - Ryan Adams. It's a great album, just ask Danwin.

It's all about the Bright Eyes this year for me. I enjoyed seeing the National's album mentioned earlier, it's criminally underrated.

Just got Nine Black Alps - Everything Is, after hearing a song of theirs on Burnout Revenge (Shot Down) and then some racing program on ITV (Not Everyone).

I am now their biggest fan - they sound like the new Foo Fighters to me, only the sound's a bit "harder". I demand to know of any other bands that sound REMOTELY like them.

I just can't get into Anthony and the Johnsons, the lead singers voice does my head in.

Death Cab for Cuties new album is very good, although I still prefer Transatlanticism. Nine Black Alps album is also very good, Cosmopolitan being my favourite track

Chris, check out Reuben. They have a very similar style to Nine Black Alps. Their latest track is 'Keep it to Yourself'.

Last edited:

Thomas any good French music this year????
How is the new Francoise Breut album.
I'm quite fond of French music: Gainsbarre, Dutronc, Charlelie Couture, Les Négresse Vertes, Stephane Eicher (Swiss actually) and Arno (he's Belgian).

Gerd, from this chair here I'm going to assure you Thomas doesn't have a clue what you're talking about. The expression ignorance is bliss was made for him.

Well Joost, gotta say i agree with him on one point: the Gorillaz album is great...
And besides the people i summed up are very famous in France (Famous in France, sounds like big in Belgium).
And now for the Dutch speaking people: what you think about Raymond Van Het Groenewouds anti-American song??? You know that some ultra-rightist idiots (Vlaams Blok/Vlaams Belang) are accusing him of racism...can you imagine???
As a matter of fact i'm gonna try to use football in order to do somethinh against the racism in Antwerp...next year there are election in Antwerp and we want to do something against racism in that city...we will start a massive football competition and hope that people of different cultures will understand each other through football and music (Tom Barman of dEUS has agreed to do a special concert against racism). From now on i will work on those two things and i'm quite excited about it..

Back
Top Bottom