All the "award winning" PES 2020 gameplay elements PES 2021 should have fixed first

The_Knight

Champions League
13 December 2005
So I was fairly disappointed to see that KONAMI is planning to release the PES 2021 season update with "PES 2020's award winning gameplay". Just, no. There are too many gameplay issues that need to be sorted out, especially if they are charging for this update.

Several issues here:

Just the referee was discussed in another thread:

And here's one about the lack of penalties against the AI that seemed to get fixed in Datapack 6, before recurring again in Datapack 8:

I'm being told that the last point is wrong on my behalf. Apparently there's a way to make the wall jump without some of them running?

You only have to watch an exhibition CPU v's CPU match to see how bad and unrewarding playing against the Ai really is. Over the past 3-4 years PES Ai has not only not improved but it looks like it's been progressively made worse. This makes extremely sceptical that the gameplay will be improved whatever form PES2021 is presented.

Imo, something they should fix in the game is 1 on 1 situation vs excess of passing. I love tiki-taka game, but you should be able to resolve a 1on1 instead of being forced to pass. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the game to become FIFA, but currently, the defensive player in a 1 on 1 is fucking overpowered, and this is cause they are too lazy as to make a correct jostling system and a correct tactic AI behavior. We need better AI defense tactically speaking that actually reacts different to what player holds the ball, etc., etc. And a more overpowered 1 on 1 situation and a less overpowered shooting. Shooting is actually too strong in the game, and that's a problem.

It's funny how all the "Award winning Pes2020 gameplay elements" they boast about either didn't make it into the full release or weren't well received by the gaming community.

After playing a lot of International Cups (simulating the Final Eight CL), to me, one of the worst issues with the game is that the AI don't adapt their attack-defense level to the context of the match. It's fine that a team like Bayern München start a game on level 1 attack, but they shouldn't go to level 2 (max) at the start/middle of the second half if it's still a draw.
Even worse is that they might be on 1 or 2 and winning but never switch to neutral or -1 near the end of the match, so you can just cut straight through their defense and too easily get back in the game.

I wonder why it's so poorly implemented in cups since it works rather well in league games.

Hey guys, Konami's dev team responded back to me about the player switching issue:

Yeah. Big sigh.
It's a feature???????????????? I cannot believe!!!!!:NONO: If this is a feature well we can think that all the gameplay issues are features? Well done Konami, REALLY WELL DONE!:DOH::DOH::DOH:

It's a feature???????????????? I cannot believe!!!!!:NONO: If this is a feature well we can think that all the gameplay issues are features? Well done Konami, REALLY WELL DONE!:DOH::DOH::DOH:
When pes 2020 was released i was complaining here about having to use super cancel for everything and people was telling me that it is a great feature. They didn't make AI awareness better, which leads for other problems.
I agree with it was said in the videos, but i think they wont change all of it. I'm testing the game speed settings and even if they use DP8 to make pes2021, decreasing gamespeed and increasing skills animation speed could be a way of make them relevant. But they need to insert more animations of defenders getting beat by the skills, to improve realism.
Konami could make controls simpler, also. Nutmegs are much more common than skills like rainbow flicks, but it's really hard to your player understand that you want to perform the move. I'm not saying you should succeed everytime, but make the response better. The same thing happens with controlled shots on manual, trying to control the spin is really hard, the command should be easier although it should be hard to hit perfect controlled shots.

Hey guys, Konami's dev team responded back to me about the player switching issue:

Yeah. Big sigh.

Ah gosh darn.
Here's to hoping they will re-do all the code for that in PES 2022 and that this sluggish behavior doesn't get re-added as a "feature" again.
Although I wouldn't hold my breath for this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom