Amiga 500 thread

crayon

Champions League
23 October 2004
Japan
Liverpool FC
I still have my Commodore Amiga 500 at home and it still works. I love that huge machine still and occasionally get it out for a game of North and South, Moonstone and more often than not, Sensible Soccer which I used to spend my life on, like PES/WE now.

I remember the rows me and my mates used to have about whether the Amiga or the Atari ST was better. :shock: ...sad, I know.

I was just wondering if anybody else had one, do you still have it, your favourite games and what software you have. 8)

Love to hear from Amiga enthusiasts. :mrgreen:

I did have one many years ago and loved it. Sensi Soccer was the best footy game of its time, me and my mates lost days playing that game through our school years. The ZipStick got a hammering during those gaming sessions ;)

There was a game that I have vague memories of but I cant think of the name of it. I think it began with an E and you were an astronaut who had crashed on a planet and had to fix your ship. Sounds a bit vague I know but somebody out there may know what it is

CWright said:
I did have one many years ago and loved it. Sensi Soccer was the best footy game of its time, me and my mates lost days playing that game through our school years. The ZipStick got a hammering during those gaming sessions ;)

There was a game that I have vague memories of but I cant think of the name of it. I think it began with an E and you were an astronaut who had crashed on a planet and had to fix your ship. Sounds a bit vague I know but somebody out there may know what it is

exile.... played a bit like asteroids with walls, class :)

crayon said:
I still have my Commodore Amiga 500 at home and it still works. I love that huge machine still and occasionally get it out for a game of North and South, Moonstone and more often than not, Sensible Soccer which I used to spend my life on, like PES/WE now.
I have those same 3 games on my PC right now. :)
Playing them with an emulator. There are some great sites out there, containing just about every Amiga game you can imagine.

Still got my old games but my Amiga is kaput after years of dust.

And the ST sucked!

Still got my Amiga stashed away somewhere. Fantastic machine - many memories. But Sensible world of soccer was the bees ballsacks!

Me and my mate used to play on the amiga non-stop. Had so many games due to his cousin copying loads. Can't remember names of games off the top of my head, but the machine was fantastic.

Cwright - ah, the zipstick, that giant of "stick" controllers with all those microswitch clicks when you pointed left, right, up, down etc. Black with yellow buttons if I remember rightly....

bbbybx - Was it me or was something built into the program so there was always a last minute goal?!! Always seemed to concede in the last minute....

I had quite a few games too.:D Turrican 3 was excellent too and I also discovered New Zealand Story on it (Kiwi Craze for the SNES I think). Only thing that stopped me taking it to a mates house was that brick of a power unit. So bloody heavy!

Zygalski - you were right, the ST did indeed suck eggs. I tried setting my comp up for the Amiga Emulator but couldn't figure it out. Not exactly user friendly (I think it was called Winuae or something). Any advice?

You couldn't beat sensible soccer with a konix navigator joystick ;)

What about the other classics, Xenon 2, chaos engine, kick off 2 return to europe, goal!, speedball 2, stuntcar racer, populous, shadow warriors, r-type... they were the days. Games just don't have the same appeal today, think i'm getting old :(

Yeah now ur talkin, my Amiga 500 kicked the bucket from over use about 5 years ago. I have painful memories of spending hours fiddling with that HUGE RF converter that used to go in the back-left of the machine, remember? Screen used to go all green when it got moved or skewed.

Moonstone is up in the top 5 games ever for me. Xenon 2 was one of the first games I ever had. Shadow of the Beast as well, that was rock hard. Midnight Resistance was a quality shooter for its time. NewZealand Story.... sooooo many wicked games.

Moonstone was great - used to love that game. New Zealand Story and its secret trapdoors. At that stage I hadn't played Mario so it was all new to me. my RF converter is still going although one of the wires connecting the machine has been adjusted many times.

Had a 500 and eventually a 1200 (remember when some games needed the 1200 to run, my mates couldn't play them and I could, fantastic).

SWOS, Superfrog, Midnight Resistance, Moonstone, Champ Manager (96 I think!), Roadkill (1200 only), Speedball 2, Kick Off, GOAL, CANNON FUCKING FODDER! Also Team17 made some good games back then, Worms and Project X spring to mind. Also played Streetfighter II and Mortal Kombat, amazing how well they worked on the zipstick (yes I had a couple of them too, great joysticks).

Anyone remember a total Mario Bros rip-off called 'Great Giana Sisters'? :D

ClassicD said:
Had a 500 and eventually a 1200 (remember when some games needed the 1200 to run, my mates couldn't play them and I could, fantastic).

SWOS, Superfrog, Midnight Resistance, Moonstone, Champ Manager (96 I think!), Roadkill (1200 only), Speedball 2, Kick Off, GOAL, CANNON FUCKING FODDER! Also Team17 made some good games back then, Worms and Project X spring to mind. Also played Streetfighter II and Mortal Kombat, amazing how well they worked on the zipstick (yes I had a couple of them too, great joysticks).

Who could forget the Giana Sisters mate;-)

Like ClassicD I had the 500+ first then the 1200 Later ... I had 95% of the Games all you guys have mentioned above.

All you needed was X-Copy and £0.20p a Disk, those were the Days my Friends.

But a few classics are missing from the lists so far UFO, Dune, Prince of Persia, Syndicate, Player Manager, Team 17's Arcade Pool, Wings, Grand National, Gunship 2000 & Super Cars II ........... It's all coming back to me ...

Oh no, I'm welling up ..... I'm off for a Cry.

Last edited:
Aaah the good old Amiga, too many memories for a single post. ;)

I had a normal A500 with mem extension at first, then bought an A500+ and soldered a kickstart switch to switch between 1.3 and 2.0. I had an external floppy drive too, came in handy when playing milestones like Monkey Island 2 that came on 12 disks. It was a good idea to have two backups for every disk, and i remember us playing adventures all night surrounded by dozens of disks, drawn maps and conversation trees on the carpet. Nothing beats a good adventure.

The greatest racing games surely were Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge, Supercars II and Nitro, we played them endlessly. There were so many others, like North & South, Nuclear War, Civilisation, Blood Money, Giana Sisters, Speedball 2, Wings of Fury, Dune 2, Pinball Dreams/-Fantasies, F1GP, Stunt Car Racer, Flashback, Lemmings, SWIV... best thing is I have most of them running on my XBox now for a quick nostalgia fix. ;)

ClassicD said:
I had the intro music patched into my WE6FE. :D

Ike said:
best thing is I have most of them running on my XBox now for a quick nostalgia fix. ;)

It may seem weird to some, but I make a point of not going back and playing these old Classics on Emulators or Otherwise ... As it is never how you remembered it at the time, the whole thing becomes underwhelming and you end up feeling like you were a fool for liking it as the Gameplay was so basic compared to now ...

For me personally these Games are best left to your Memory as you can look back through Rose tinted Glasses thinking it was all perfect and you get a nice fuzzy Nostalgic Feeling. ;-)

Basically I don't want to Taint my wonderful memories of this Time :)

Last edited:
Perhaps the only thing I don't "look through rose-tinted spectacles" for is disk swapping for Monkey Island! Moonstone was bad enough with 3 disks! As for copy progs at that time, they always seemed to come from Denmark or Norway.... ;)

Ahhh the Amiga 500...it really was such a great machine :D

The thing that sticks in my mind about the Amiga was the fact that every game was a copy :D I think I must have had all of 2 games that I bought, and they were shite! All the decent ones came via a friend who had access to all the games.

My top games were....

Kick Off2, Giana Sisters, Pinball Dreams/Fantasies etc, Flashback, Another World, Wings of Fury, Stunt Car Racer, Lotus Esprit, Supercars, SWOS (although I preferred KO2), Beach Volley, IK+, PGA Tour Golf, plus loads more. They were all great games, simple but such great fun.

PGA Tour Golf took up more than a few hours and often resulted in me doing my Geography homework, or something like that the next morning in registration at school! Can't believe some of you guys had 1200's as well. Must have twisted your dad's arms quite a bit......

Did you buy the magazines such as Amiga Format??

As for Cannon Fodder - my bro used to play it but it drove me nuts! That, and Hunter (so boring).

Did anyone here play grand monster slam? Loved that one, I still think a multiplayer remake could be very popular.

Wow amigas went straight from my Amstrad CPC464 to this and the first time i played Champ manager in fact i think thats why i bought one.

I had completely forgotten about some of the games mentioned here. Another World and Flashback were too difficult for me as I was but a wee lad and I actually used a cheat code to get through Another World and still loved it.

IK+, absolutely brilliant, wasn't there some way to make the other guy(s) pants fall down? And you had the wee bombs to kick, etc, I was shit at it but loved it all the same.

I loved Walker too babs, all the wee guys trying to bring you down, it felt like being the baddy in a science-fiction movie, a futuristic King Kong. Similar kind of game to Apocolypse, a side-scrolling helicopter game which from memory was set in Vietnam, you had to rescue your troops from huts. That brings me onto another game, anyone remember Silkworm? How much fun that was btw, one guy controlling the helicopter and the other the jeep on the ground!

Was Grand Monster Slam the sort of NFL with monsters game, you could rip their heads off and stuff? Loved that too, altho my m8 got the German version and there was water instead of blood! :D

Silkworm was absolutely brilliant! Never was any good at it though. Never completed the damn thing.:(

People talk about software piracy these days but I swear it must have been endemic during the Amiga 500 era. All games on 3.5 floppy, I think I had about 3 retail releases, all the rest my cousins used to copy for me!

ClassicD said:
IK+, absolutely brilliant, wasn't there some way to make the other guy(s) pants fall down? And you had the wee bombs to kick, etc, I was shit at it but loved it all the same.
Yeah! Press T and their trousers went down. I liked the bomb bouncing game too. And there were those buttons you could press to change how the background look (a bit).

Silkworm 4 - SWIV ruled!
I managed to complete Flashback and Another World without cheating, shame on you! :)

Just played a bit of North and South last night. Walker is a bit hard for me. I always wonder why they made you walk from right to left instead of left to right.

Off for a game of Indy Heat. Bashing the CPU cars out of their pitstop and watch them crawl around the track slowly... :lmao:

Zygalski said:
Off for a game of Indy Heat. Bashing the CPU cars out of their pitstop and watch them crawl around the track slowly... :lmao:

hahahahaha classic :D I'd forgotten about that.

I never used normal joysticks, I used to plug my Master system control pad into it. I found it easier that way.

Monkey Island 2 was great. I had an external disk drive too, but 12 disks was very annoying.

I remember on monkey Island I was stuck on it for days, I new I had to get something from this boat, but could not find it for the life of me. I then one day fiddled with the contrast on my T.V and there was a great big knife on the table in the boat (think it was a knife). I remember that very well, very stupid but very funny.

IK+ and Cannon fodder were also great games.

I also had a game called Bollx where you could be a penis and the better you got through the level a naked women would appear in the background. You could also play with a mate (not like that!) so have two Penis, so Much fun.

There were a lot of games that were fantastic. But I tried going back to a few like cannon fodder and ik+, although it was fun for the first few minutes it didn't last longer than that.

But I will always remember the Amiga with a big smile on my face, some great times.

Back
Top Bottom