Anime/Manga Thread

I've really extended my list of anime watched since I last was online here, but damn I'll post up my top 5 as it stands, no particular order:

1) Shinsekai Yori
2) Legend of the Galactic Heroes
3) FMA: Brotherhood
4) Kaiji
5) Monster

Among many, many other suggestions. Honestly, anyone still in need of watching something and hasn't watched one of those 5 - GET ON IT!

Thread seems dead so i try to revive it. Here some of my recommendation.

- Yeah i agree with some folks here, watch Death Note, it's good !

- Hunter x Hunter 1999. One of my fav, i watched it so many times. There's 2011 remake of this, i havent watch it some say it's better than 99 version 🤷.

I can recommend, The Rising of the shield hero, Spy x Family, Attack on Titan, Black Clover and Tomodachi Game

From what i've seen, everyone's choise is a lot "sophisticated" in suggestions. I am a little bit" shallow", only following the Dragonball Super manga, which keeps going after the anime's Dragon Ball Super finale, Tournament of Power. Has 2 sagas until now, not the best possible, but that's a big discussion :D

From what i've seen, everyone's choise is a lot "sophisticated" in suggestions. I am a little bit" shallow", only following the Dragonball Super manga, which keeps going after the anime's Dragon Ball Super finale, Tournament of Power. Has 2 sagas until now, not the best possible, but that's a big discussion :D
Lol that's okay. I watched DBS back when it aired, honestly it's not my fav. I miss all the blood & gory stuff in Dragon Ball. Also not a fan with some of its character development. I think i stop watched it before black goku arc. It's still good shows though.

So far my suggestion is for mature audience with serious tone & sometimes darker story since i assume we all adults here.

I dont know if you already watch it or not, but you should consider to watch ONE PUNCH MAN, it's a bit similiar with dragon ball with all action, comedy, superpower stuff. Watch the SEASON 1, it's only 12 Eps. Imo.. OPM is complete package between animation wise, soundtrack, story 🙂

Last edited:
Lol that's okay. I watched DBS back when it aired, honestly it's not my fav. I miss all the blood & gory stuff in Dragon Ball. Also not a fan with some of its character development. I think i stop watched it before black goku arc. It's still good shows though.

So far my suggestion is for mature audience with serious tone & sometimes darker story since i assume we all adults here.

I dont know if you already watch it or not, but you should consider to watch ONE PUNCH MAN, it's a bit similiar with dragon ball with all action, comedy, superpower stuff. Watch the SEASON 1, it's only 12 Eps. Imo.. OPM is complete package between animation wise, soundtrack, story 🙂
I can understand, that;s why i said "sophisticated", i meant "mature".

I know the animes-manga you suggest are a lot darker, a lot of times i tried to watch Blitch, or Death Note, or Attack on Titan. The lores are very good, but, i do not know, i prefer more "childish" staff, as you said. Ok i've seen One Punch Man, this is on the other edge, it is comedy 100%.

I mean the dark tone is OK, and that's why i prefer DC animated movies, over Marvel animated movies, cause they are more dark and violent, but at general i prefer more fantasy and chlidish staff, when i watch an anime.

That's why i like, Digimon, One Piece, Naturo, Yugioh, Medabots, and i can "consume" them more easily. I mean i prefer, not like, cause the more serious staff needs more time investement.

I remember you or someone else in older post, suggested Legend of the Galactic Heroes. After i did some research, i found its concept amazing, but it needs a lot time to watch it, the whole series.

And something last as an example, about "Attack on Titan". As a child raised in the late 80's and early 90's, i am always in love with Giant Mechas/Robots. That's why i can't enjoy Attack on Titan, i would prefer some Giant Mechas to fight the Titans!

I know it sound completelly immature, but i am trapped in this! :)

And that's why, although i've spotted a long time ago this thread, i haven't posted, but only read. Cause i mostly like immature content , and don't want to annoy other people, that focus on more serious content.

I can understand, that;s why i said "sophisticated", i meant "mature".

I know the animes-manga you suggest are a lot darker, a lot of times i tried to watch Blitch, or Death Note, or Attack on Titan. The lores are very good, but, i do not know, i prefer more "childish" staff, as you said. Ok i've seen One Punch Man, this is on the other edge, it is comedy 100%.

I mean the dark tone is OK, and that's why i prefer DC animated movies, over Marvel animated movies, cause they are more dark and violent, but at general i prefer more fantasy and chlidish staff, when i watch an anime.

That's why i like, Digimon, One Piece, Naturo, Yugioh, Medabots, and i can "consume" them more easily. I mean i prefer, not like, cause the more serious staff needs more time investement.

I remember you or someone else in older post, suggested Legend of the Galactic Heroes. After i did some research, i found its concept amazing, but it needs a lot time to watch it, the whole series.

And something last as an example, about "Attack on Titan". As a child raised in the late 80's and early 90's, i am always in love with Giant Mechas/Robots. That's why i can't enjoy Attack on Titan, i would prefer some Giant Mechas to fight the Titans!

I know it sound completelly immature, but i am trapped in this! :)

And that's why, although i've spotted a long time ago this thread, i haven't posted, but only read. Cause i mostly like immature content , and don't want to annoy other people, that focus on more serious content.
Oh sorry about that, i didnt know that, english is confusing lol .

Have you seen all 6 OPM Specials + 1 eps Road to Hero movie ?

To me one piece is too damn long both manga especially anime.. i dont have time to watch 1000+ eps ! I like naruto though, in fact i collect all the books !

Immature or not no one should judge or even force other people taste, i dont think anyone is annoyed with other people's taste 🙂. You should've told me earlier maye i can give you another suggestion.

I think Hunter x Hunter 1999 is almost same like naruto or one piece, though it's a bit serious but there's some funny stuff in it.

I think i watch all kind of genre from cringe one (lol), romance, comedy, serious or even some other people think "trash" i dont limit myself when watching anime as long as it's not boring 😃

Mecha ? Have you seen SSSS gridman or Darling in The Franx ? Or maybe from last season "Otome game sekai..." ?

Or do you like "isekai" anime ? You know when MC got transfered in to other fantasy world or something, today this genre is really popular.

Last edited:
Oh sorry about that, i didnt know that, english is confusing lol .

Have you seen all 6 OPM Specials + 1 eps Road to Hero movie ?

To me one piece is too damn long both manga especially anime.. i dont have time to watch 1000+ eps ! I like naruto though, in fact i collect all the books !

Immature or not no one should judge or even force other people taste, i dont think anyone is annoyed with other people's taste 🙂. You should've told me earlier maye i can give you another suggestion.

I think Hunter x Hunter 1999 is almost same like naruto or one piece, though it's a bit serious but there's some funny stuff in it.

I think i watch all kind of genre from cringe one (lol), romance, comedy, serious or even some other people think "trash" i dont limit myself when watching anime as long as it's not boring 😃

Mecha ? Have you seen SSSS gridman or Darling in The Franx ? Or maybe from last season "Otome game sekai..." ?

Or do you like "isekai" anime ? You know when MC got transfered in to other fantasy world or something, today this genre is really popular.
Well that was a lot of info, needed to Google a lot. I am not good at naming genres of anime :P :)

For One Punch Man, i've watched the main episodes in a "streaming free" platform, did n't monitor what exactly i have watch. OPM special is like the old OVA?

FOr the mecha, i have watched more "classic" titles, like Mazinger, Grendizer, Mazinkeizer, Getter Robot, Voltron, Voltus V, Ninja Robots, Gundam Wing. But all those series are huge franchises, i've seen mixed episodes in old TV channels and VHS, and some watching marathon, when i was student in the university.

But especially now, it is too difficult to sit and watch a series of more than 05 episodes, without interuptions. I mean even in one piece, i've watched here and there, 30 episodes in the TV back in the 00's, some episodes online, etc.

As for Grindman, i've seen something thats looks similar back in the 90's, Ultraman.

Just to mention here, i've seen some more recent series of Getter Robot, when i was student, and it was much more violent than the old series, which already had some violence. Blood, splatter, etc. And was for sure darker.

Last edited:
From other genre? , i liked a lot JUMARU, don't not the Japanese title (edit: Plawres Sanshiro) , and the more modern Medabots, which is more comedy in comparison to Jumaru.

Also recenlty, while i have not a lot time, i try to watch the Japanese subbed versions of a lot anime i've watched in dubbed English, cause even in Yugioh, it seems that the English dub versions are doing the story far less dark, and cesnoring a lot staff of the story, sometimes, in Yugioh again, they tend even to change the main story in the English dub, with recycling animations and changing the script, just to avoid things, like guns, death, religion sybmols!

Voltron is another example,that the west version suffered crucial changes , like the not-death of Sven (Blue Lion pilot) etc.

I don't watch anime a lot but I was watching Fullmetal Alchemist and quit watching for the most anime reason possible - they changed the intro song

I did try to watch the live action netflix movie and was astounded how boring they managed to make it.

Well that was a lot of info, needed to Google a lot. I am not good at naming genres of anime :P :)

For One Punch Man, i've watched the main episodes in a "streaming free" platform, did n't monitor what exactly i have watch. OPM special is like the old OVA?

FOr the mecha, i have watched more "classic" titles, like Mazinger, Grendizer, Mazinkeizer, Getter Robot, Voltron, Voltus V, Ninja Robots, Gundam Wing. But all those series are huge franchises, i've seen mixed episodes in old TV channels and VHS, and some watching marathon, when i was student in the university.

But especially now, it is too difficult to sit and watch a series of more than 05 episodes, without interuptions. I mean even in one piece, i've watched here and there, 30 episodes in the TV back in the 00's, some episodes online, etc.

As for Grindman, i've seen something thats looks similar back in the 90's, Ultraman.

Just to mention here, i've seen some more recent series of Getter Robot, when i was student, and it was much more violent than the old series, which already had some violence. Blood, splatter, etc. And was for sure darker.

Yes, the 6 eps OVA is a side story, it's 12 min per eps. Usually it comes from BD or DVD as bonus. The "Road to Hero" OVA is 30 min eps it's a prequel.

https://www.bilibili.tv/id/space/1134367602

It's normal, even i having hard time when watching 1 eps. Usually i stop every 7 or 10 minutes, lol.

From other genre? , i liked a lot JUMARU, don't not the Japanese title (edit: Plawres Sanshiro) , and the more modern Medabots, which is more comedy in comparison to Jumaru.

Also recenlty, while i have not a lot time, i try to watch the Japanese subbed versions of a lot anime i've watched in dubbed English, cause even in Yugioh, it seems that the English dub versions are doing the story far less dark, and cesnoring a lot staff of the story, sometimes, in Yugioh again, they tend even to change the main story in the English dub, with recycling animations and changing the script, just to avoid things, like guns, death, religion sybmols!

Voltron is another example,that the west version suffered crucial changes , like the not-death of Sven (Blue Lion pilot) etc.

Maybe you watch 4Kids version of Yugioh, they're well-known to make changes. I don't really remember but i think back then in 90 or 2000 all anime in my local dub follow the japanese version which is almost no changes, censorship whatsoever. For example this one from HXH 1999. I don't think this could air today :P

I rarely watch english dub mostly japanese dub, maybe only Dragon Ball which i found fit with english dub. Speaking of.. have you seen Dragon Ball Z Abridged ? it's a parody of DBZ and it's hilarious

I don't watch anime a lot but I was watching Fullmetal Alchemist and quit watching for the most anime reason possible - they changed the intro song

I did try to watch the live action netflix movie and was astounded how boring they managed to make it.
lol, i skip intro like 90% when watching anime

I heard Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood version is far superior than the original

Yes, the 6 eps OVA is a side story, it's 12 min per eps. Usually it comes from BD or DVD as bonus. The "Road to Hero" OVA is 30 min eps it's a prequel.

https://www.bilibili.tv/id/space/1134367602

It's normal, even i having hard time when watching 1 eps. Usually i stop every 7 or 10 minutes, lol.

Maybe you watch 4Kids version of Yugioh, they're well-known to make changes. I don't really remember but i think back then in 90 or 2000 all anime in my local dub follow the japanese version which is almost no changes, censorship whatsoever. For example this one from HXH 1999. I don't think this could air today :P

I rarely watch english dub mostly japanese dub, maybe only Dragon Ball which i found fit with english dub. Speaking of.. have you seen Dragon Ball Z Abridged ? it's a parody of DBZ and it's hilarious

lol, i skip intro like 90% when watching anime

I heard Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood version is far superior than the original
The good side, that i live in a third-world country, is that sometimes, when the American package is too expensive, the studios that localize the foreign versions in my region (Greece) , tend to buy the syndication rights from other countries like South Korea, Germany, Spain, Italy, France. At it looks in many occasions, that except the American package and the Brittish one, the rest are more lenient towards the Japanese prototype and do not censor as much as the US and the UK versions.

Another topic is, usually the original Japanese version has far superior sound themes OSTs, that in West Version tend to change it to worse. I had a whole catalogue written in hand, 20 years ago, pen and paper, with anime versions, regarding which had the best OST in Japanese and which in English dub.

By memomy now i can tell, Digimon had an amazing OST in Japanese version, and thank god the German dub kept the Japanese music, translating the lyrics only, while my country, kept the whole Japanese music theme and changed only the Intro & Outro to Greek (which was lame either way). The Japanese OST was legions above, in the USA/UK english dub by Fox Kids, they used the same song for the first 3 seasons, which was the Digirap, and it was lame, cause it was made cause it was 2000's and rap was a hot topic back then. BUT DID NOT FIT in digimon.

To give you examples, about digimon:

Here is what was playing for all first 3 seasons of Digimon: Digimon, Digimon 02 and Digimon Tamers, in the English Dub but i mean everywhere, everywhere the same one song:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AND HERE IS THE MUSIC FROM the original-Japanese, Greek, Espanol-Latino and German (and many others for sure) DUB:

First Season Evolution Butterfly

Second season (a lot epic songs, i pick only ONE of many)

And Digimon Tamers theme

I think the difference is chaotic. And imagine that the Japanese and the rest world, had 3~4 different themes for every level of evolution in Digimon, while the English DUB had always and everywhere the digirap :(

I mean the Digi-rap is OK-ish for a music background jiggle in some filler parts of the episode, but it is bery alti-climatic.

In contrast and in West World's defense ( :P :D ) in some anime, like Yugioh or Medabots, the english dub had better , basically more spot on music than the Japanese version, for various reasons.

For example, MEdabots Intro in English DUB and my country's DUB thankfully, a lot jiggle but a lot rock and roll and action oriented.

MEdabots English Intro

Medabots Japanese Intro ( a lot different, more MIDI or more old-fashioned, better realated to early 90's or late 80's music)

What i mean about music is, sometimes it worths the extra mile to go head to head with your era, something a little bit rock and roll, or metal, and sometimes it worths to stick better to more classic values, if you are going to put something like Digi-Rap everywhere, just cause RAp is "cool" and "in".

Yugioh is another example, where the Japanese version, while more mature, violent and dark, sticked a lot to darker music themes, loosing a little bit the central message of the series, which is "A child's card game" , while the US dub, has more rock, or techno, or electronic music music, that fits better in such a a show.

In my opinion always.

P.S.: It is not due to luck, that some franchises like Digimon and Medabots, after the manga, started their big comercial success from Game Boy and Wonderswan games, before they hit the TV, that's why maybe their early theme songs, are more close to MIDI sound by Game Boy. While the West World that pruchased latter the shows, had the time to compose more "appropriate" themes.

But as i said, sometimes it fits, the simple way, and sometimes the more complex real life way.

Man digimon that brings back memories, i used to watch it in Sunday Morning. Idk if you know this but there's reboot of the series back in 2020. I haven't watched it though cause sometimes reboot makes things worse, lol.

Ok here's another suggestion if anyone need it, it's classic action formula ( good guy vs bad guy ) or MC with hidden power in it. Three of them are great.

- Jujutsu Kaisen
- Demon Slayer
- Fire Force

So recently i finished watching HxH 2011 looks great though for the old arc i prefer the old version. Also just finished watching Berserk 1997 yesterday, i've already heard good story about it. For Berserk, if you're under 18, i don't recommend to watch it.

Surprisingly someone already upload the whole eps on youtube, lol.

Next i plan to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, some say the anime is f'up, i'm a little bit curious about it.

Speaking of, OPM S3 is announced yesterday. Man i hope they learned with S2 and bring back S1 quality. Eventhough i'm not a fan of this arc since it follow the manga, it's really long arc and i hope they do justice with this arc.

@Hayes as you are the special one here, i need your help. I used to love the sports related anime, back at the times. On of my most favourite, maybe my most, was Slam Dunk, don't know the Japanese name, the one with the Shohoku team.

So from what i understand, cause i watched mixed greek dubbed and then Japanese dub with English subs, the anime ends in the "all-star" friendly match after the regional qualifications, while the manga goes up to Japan nationals?

Or wasn't it supposed, that they aimed to go to America for the International School Championship?

Not sure , cause the Greek dub , mistranslated a lot of things, and i were confused,for example the word "Regional" can have two opposite translations in Greek.

Also, if you know again, IIRC, manga got past the 2nd year, where Gori-lla and the others 3rd grade went to university, the freshmen were 2nd Grade, practically a year had passed. Not sure if it was original content, or fanmade. 😅

I am asking, cause i stepped into this recently, and I can't understand what is it about? A reboot? A continuation of the plot, where anime was left? Or whatever?

Last edited:
@slamsoze man Slam Dunk is legend. My favourite sport anime/manga too and generally, surely one of the mangas of my life. It's so hard to find something so well written all along that also doesn't give the "easy", stereotyped ending to the readers.

The manga ends with the high schools Japan nationals. In the last few pages there is a glimpse of how things will be in the immediate future for the protagonists, with Akagi moving to university, Rukawa in the Japan's juvenile, Hanamichi recovering from the final injury etc. but it's just a couple of panels to let you wonder even further. AFAIR some time later Inoue drawn some more panels of that period (something called 10 days later or something) but it's, again, not much stuff and the story doesn't really go any forward.

The movie should be focused on the manga's final tournament, plus some flashback about Myagi. There is no will to make a true sequel and honestly I hope it will never change :D

@slamsoze man Slam Dunk is legend. My favourite sport anime/manga too and generally, surely one of the mangas of my life. It's so hard to find something so well written all along that also doesn't give the "easy", stereotyped ending to the readers.

The manga ends with the high schools Japan nationals. In the last few pages there is a glimpse of how things will be in the immediate future for the protagonists, with Akagi moving to university, Rukawa in the Japan's juvenile, Hanamichi recovering from the final injury etc. but it's just a couple of panels to let you wonder even further. AFAIR some time later Inoue drawn some more panels of that period (something called 10 days later or something) but it's, again, not much stuff and the story doesn't really go any forward.

The movie should be focused on the manga's final tournament, plus some flashback about Myagi. There is no will to make a true sequel and honestly I hope it will never change :D
Thanx for the info bro. Cool clarification.

I always have very false perspective and info about Slam Dunk, due to my fundamentals are really flawed, mostly of the Greek mistranslated dub.

I am sure as usual, the greek dub was based on another European dub, either Italian or French, as usually happens , Greek localisation, being a translation of a translation of the original, and in an era without internet sources, and you get lost in translation.

In my dub for example, the Japanese Nationals were mentioned in the early episodes, latter dubbed as plain Nationals, while in Greek, Nationals or Regionals Championship, can mean from something completely local, to something like Pan-Asian, or even International, depending on the rest context, which was missing .

Then the context of the episode where Rukawa was told a story about a former player of coach Anzai, by Anzais wife, that went to USA and failed, was completely mistranslated, that Shohoku was planning to go to USA to play to an International championship.

You know sometimes, i really doubt about that 90s dubs, if they were localised by professional translators or by semipro or amateurs.

Even the names were localised in an unusual westernised way. IE the only easy noticeable protagonist name was Rukawa, who became Chris Lucas.

I mean this, by my very basic Japanese knowledge makes some sense pronounced wise: Ru-ka-wa =Lu-cas.

The rest were:

Shakuragi =Johnny Silver
Miyagi= Ryan Mitchel (Pas Mal)
Mitsui= Harris Morgan
Akagi= Steven Gori (From Gori-lla LOL) 😂

And imagine that, the Greek broadcasting was abruptly discontinued after the match against Soyo or Ryonan, the second critical match IIRC they played. Around the middle of the OG series. So I watched the rest in English dubbed and then subbed, or only subbed. But got confused a lot.

Thanx for the info bro. Cool clarification.

I always have very false perspective and info about Slam Dunk, due to my fundamentals are really flawed, mostly of the Greek mistranslated dub.

I am sure as usual, the greek dub was based on another European dub, either Italian or French, as usually happens , Greek localisation, being a translation of a translation of the original, and in an era without internet sources, and you get lost in translation.

In my dub for example, the Japanese Nationals were mentioned in the early episodes, latter dubbed as plain Nationals, while in Greek, Nationals or Regionals Championship, can mean from something completely local, to something like Pan-Asian, or even International, depending on the rest context, which was missing .

Then the context of the episode where Rukawa was told a story about a former player of coach Anzai, by Anzais wife, that went to USA and failed, was completely mistranslated, that Shohoku was planning to go to USA to play to an International championship.

You know sometimes, i really doubt about that 90s dubs, if they were localised by professional translators or by semipro or amateurs.

Even the names were localised in an unusual westernised way. IE the only easy noticeable protagonist name was Rukawa, who became Chris Lucas.

I mean this, by my very basic Japanese knowledge makes some sense pronounced wise: Ru-ka-wa =Lu-cas.

The rest were:

Shakuragi =Johnny Silver
Miyagi= Ryan Mitchel (Pas Mal)
Mitsui= Harris Morgan
Akagi= Steven Gori (From Gori-lla LOL) 😂

And imagine that, the Greek broadcasting was abruptly discontinued after the match against Soyo or Ryonan, the second critical match IIRC they played. Around the middle of the OG series. So I watched the rest in English dubbed and then subbed, or only subbed. But got confused a lot.

Steven Gori:LMAO:

I feel you mate. I think we already talked about it in the 16/32 bit thread, for the most part it was kinda the same in Italy with the translations, especially in the mainstream channels. Not really unprofessional (I think) but purposefully "bad". Westernization of the names, censorship that brought story parts to be incomprehensible etc.

However, luckily enough, here Slam Dunk anime (togheter with other ones) was broadcasted by MTV, that gave all the adaptations to an excellent, specialized company.. all original names, no censorship, no poorly translated plot points. Just the author's work as faithful as possible. Me and my friends all fell in love with it even we weren't really big on basket, no idea if this all helped in some measure.

Anyway, I'm really grateful to whoever was the executive for this stuff at the times, as among the others they brought in Italy Neon Genesis Evangelion with, of course, the same care and quality. Evangelion remains to this day my favourite anime ever and one of the best pieces of art I've ever witnessed in general. I'm still having cold sweat at the idea of a mainstream channel owning the rights in their place and adapting the whole thing.. it would have been an absolute, senseless 360 degrees butcher.

Steven Gori:LMAO:

I feel you mate. I think we already talked about it in the 16/32 bit thread, for the most part it was kinda the same in Italy with the translations, especially in the mainstream channels. Not really unprofessional (I think) but purposefully "bad". Westernization of the names, censorship that brought story parts to be incomprehensible etc.

However, luckily enough, here Slam Dunk anime (togheter with other ones) was broadcasted by MTV, that gave all the adaptations to an excellent, specialized company.. all original names, no censorship, no poorly translated plot points. Just the author's work as faithful as possible. Me and my friends all fell in love with it even we weren't really big on basket, no idea if this all helped in some measure.

Anyway, I'm really grateful to whoever was the executive for this stuff at the times, as among the others they brought in Italy Neon Genesis Evangelion with, of course, the same care and quality. Evangelion remains to this day my favourite anime ever and one of the best pieces of art I've ever witnessed in general. I'm still having cold sweat at the idea of a mainstream channel owning the rights in their place and adapting the whole thing.. it would have been an absolute, senseless 360 degrees butcher.
Thankfully, despite the story was misstransated, the main character and the core style of the series, stated 100% faithful and got away the censorship of Greek TV, maybe cause the channel that broadcasted it, was in its beginnings, and before become mainstream, so luckily the most themes were left untouched, like violence, fights, blood, underage school students smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.

Of course with today's standards on TV and heavy censorship, it's impossible for a rerun, it wouldn't make up to 5th episode, before a lawsuit.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, is something I'm pending to watch since 2005, but for some or various reasons, i always postpone it.

And it is a very very big universe, i hope i will find the time needed, until the end of my life 😝

Not the series perse. The complete package, series, manga, OVAs, etc

Thankfully, despite the story was misstransated, the main character and the core style of the series, stated 100% faithful and got away the censorship of Greek TV, maybe cause the channel that broadcasted it, was in its beginnings, and before become mainstream, so luckily the most themes were left untouched, like violence, fights, blood, underage school students smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.

Of course with today's standards on TV and heavy censorship, it's impossible for a rerun, it wouldn't make up to 5th episode, before a lawsuit.

Neon Genesis Evangelion, is something I'm pending to watch since 2005, but for some or various reasons, i always postpone it.

And it is a very very big universe, i hope i will find the time needed, until the end of my life 😝

Not the series perse. The complete package, series, manga, OVAs, etc

There is a lot of stuff indeed, but you mainly need the original 26 episodes of the anime and the subsequent movie "The End of Evangelion" . Watched that, you watched "all" Evangelion to me. The rest is very accessory. To be more precise:

- The other movie of the times, Death and Rebirth, which is a giant recap of the Anime plus some 20 minutes something of the End of Evangelion..there is some new scene here and there, but it's not really mandatory.

- The Manga; it diverges too much from the anime, to the point it becomes some kind of alternate universe or something. It's written and drawn by a different guy than Hideaki Anno, and while it's really nice artistically speaking, it's kind of pointless as it starts as a more or less faithful conversion and then it becomes entirely the vision of this other guy (Sadamoto). Plus it's not even complete as a story and it will never be as far as I know.

- The (in)famous four Rebuild movies that came out in the 2007/2021 period. They retell the story starting identically as the first episodes only to heavily, crazily change things from a point onwards, with many new characters, locations, situations and so on. Plot is very confused and while I don't think it's all to throw away, honestly I felt no need of it. Depth wise to me it's not comparable with what came before.

Of course it's stuff you can recover all the same, if you end up liking the "original". Problem is that The End of E. movie that close it all up was so powerful, visionary and unique that everything which came after can't compete in my eyes. It's like with the sequels of Watchmen.. when the original is so iconic it's almost bothering to watch all these new "inferior" takes.[/spoiler

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom