• Again: Talk about cracks or if a certain mod works on a cracked game and we will cut off your puny little pirate dicks.
  • Note for new users: Please keep your posts English or we will delete them. There's a "No English?" area in our Editing sub-forum for those who prefer writing in their native language.

"Anti-Dribbling"

RuneEdge

Silent Assassin
1 October 2003
Manchester United
Basically something you want from your defensive midfielders and your defenders.
 

PLF

Legend
2 August 2004
Ari-Glavisted said:
In the stats, is the capacity of a player in defensive position to counteracting a dribbling of an offensive player, not permit his threaten.
Sorry mate but I think you're talking about what it SHOULD be rather than what it IS ;)

You know this is Konami so not all things make sense. Aggression stat is not really aggression and anti-dribbling is not what RuneEdge or Glavisted said even though name suggests it is.

Anti-dribbling which is a bad name is basically the ability to guard/shield the ball with trickery and technique. You usually need to be big to do this like Adriano who also has good technique. It basically means players who are able to hold up the ball well for team.

Think of it as a situation where players take ball into corners of pitch to waste time by keeping it there. You've seen it plenty of times in matches when that team is trying to hold on to a lead.

Now you don't always need to be a big guy to do this but if you have good balance/strength and technique/dribbling you can still do this like Malbranque or Tevez.
 

Glavisted

Premiership
20 July 2005
Lima, Perú
PLF said:
Anti-dribbling which is a bad name is basically the ability to guard/shield the ball with trickery and technique. You usually need to be big to do this like Adriano who also has good technique. It basically means players who are able to hold up the ball well for team.
I didn't imagine it, thanks PLF.
 
L

limeyboy14

Guest
"anti-dribbling goalie" Lovin' it Konami! Thanks for the explanation PLF!
 

dalessandro

League 2
8 October 2004
individual defensive setting

Somethin'has always been a mystery to me !

What means high/normal/low individual defensive setting.
Cos if you read the commentary, you see it determines the intensity of pressing whereas during the game it rather seems to determine a position of pressing, can people tell me ?
 

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
Tranmere Rovers
PLF said:
Anti-dribbling which is a bad name is basically the ability to guard/shield the ball with trickery and technique. You usually need to be big to do this like Adriano who also has good technique. It basically means players who are able to hold up the ball well for team.

Think of it as a situation where players take ball into corners of pitch to waste time by keeping it there. You've seen it plenty of times in matches when that team is trying to hold on to a lead.
So is "anti-dribbling GK" the ability of the GK to waste time?! :|
 

PLF

Legend
2 August 2004
Chris Davies said:
So is "anti-dribbling GK" the ability of the GK to waste time?! :|
Goalie?? :shock:

No mate I didn't say anything about goalkeepers.

@D'Alessandro, I can answer that but maybe we should have an official "Tactical" discussion here like I had one a while back on PESfan. Then people asked all kinds of questions about formation screen that they weren't sure about.

Anyways to answer your question if you have defence set to "High" let's say on your DMF. You'll notice that he presses the ball a LOT more. But while this can be a good thing if he's a pitbull like Gatusso and has amazing stamina, it can also be a negative thing if he doesn't have very good defensive positioning meaning by running around after the ball, he won't be where you WANT him in front of your back 4 to stop the opposing OMF let's say.

For example if you set your DMF and position him really centrally but put him on high defence, you'll notice that most of the time even though the ball is on left or right wing and the other team is attackign you with their wingers. Not only is your corresponding fullback there to stop him but also your DMF is running towards the sidelines tryin to stop him.

So make sure you don't put people on high if they dont have good stamina and also not your central defenders because that means at times they will press the ball which you dont want out of your CBs since they are the last line of defence and should hold their position and not give away a hole in your defence by pressing the right winger or OMF let's say.

Not only is it about pressing though but also at times it means they wont be encouraged to go forward.

So while with normal defence arrow and NO attacking arrows I'm sure you've noticed players make forward runs by themselves from time to time depending on their (Attack/Defence) ratio. Once they are on HIGH defence and no arrows, they're very likely Not to make that run anymore even if they see the opportunity. Because by giving them no arrows and HIGH defence, you've basically told them that you're fine with them not making forward runs and that it's too risky and you'd rather the player stays in defence instead of goin forward and possibly not being able to come back fast enough. (This can be very useful for example when you're holding a lead and have a full back like Roberto Carlos who loves to go forward even without an arrow which can mean you're vulnerable to attacks down left side of your defence even though you'd rather to keep him from making those runs cuz you're holding the lead.)

And Finally one more thing defence does if you put it on outfield players beside more pressurizing and not being encouraged to attack unless given arrows is that it makes them drop DEEPER when you don't have posession of ball.

So while it might be a good idea to have ONE CF or ST on high (even though i dont even like this) you should never have both on high. Because then when you get the ball, you'll notice that your forwards aren't as far up the pitch as you want and therefore any chances of good counter-attack you had is gone cuz they have come very deep into midfield and were defending.

So i personally always leave at least my faster forward on LOW defence so he's there as soon as I get ball always have a chance of counter-attack and then I put my ST or other CF if i'm playin 2 up front with NORMAL defence but position him myself a bit deeper not by givin high defence because then he'd be too deep and also lose a lot of stamina if he has both high defence and some sort of arrow as I assume you guys put it on your forwards.

I hope that helps.
 
Last edited:

killercam

Shady
18 December 2003
London
PLF said:
Goalie?? :shock:

No mate I didn't say anything about goalkeepers.

@D'Alessandro, I can answer that but maybe we should have an official "Tactical" discussion here like I had one a while back on PESfan. Then people asked all kinds of questions about formation screen that they weren't sure about.

Anyways to answer your question if you have defence set to "High" let's say on your DMF. You'll notice that he presses the ball a LOT more. But while this can be a good thing if he's a pitbull like Gatusso and has amazing stamina, it can also be a negative thing if he doesn't have very good defensive positioning meaning by running around after the ball, he won't be where you WANT him in front of your back 4 to stop the opposing OMF let's say.

For example if you set your DMF and position him really centrally but put him on high defence, you'll notice that most of the time even though the ball is on left or right wing and the other team is attackign you with their wingers. Not only is your corresponding fullback there to stop him but also your DMF is running towards the sidelines tryin to stop him.

So make sure you don't put people on high if they dont have good stamina and also not your central defenders because that means at times they will press the ball which you dont want out of your CBs since they are the last line of defence and should hold their position and not give away a hole in your defence by pressing the right winger or OMF let's say.

Not only is it about pressing though but also at times it means they wont be encouraged to go forward.

So while with normal defence arrow and NO attacking arrows I'm sure you've noticed players make forward runs by themselves from time to time depending on their (Attack/Defence) ratio. Once they are on HIGH defence and no arrows, they're very likely Not to make that run anymore even if they see the opportunity. Because by giving them no arrows and HIGH defence, you've basically told them that you're fine with them not making forward runs and that it's too risky and you'd rather the player stays in defence instead of goin forward and possibly not being able to come back fast enough. (This can be very useful for example when you're holding a lead and have a full back like Roberto Carlos who loves to go forward even without an arrow which can mean you're vulnerable to attacks down left side of your defence even though you'd rather to keep him from making those runs cuz you're holding the lead.)

And Finally one more thing defence does if you put it on outfield players beside more pressurizing and not being encouraged to attack unless given arrows is that it makes them drop DEEPER when you don't have posession of ball.

So while it might be a good idea to have ONE CF or ST on high (even though i dont even like this) you should never have both on high. Because then when you get the ball, you'll notice that your forwards aren't as far up the pitch as you want and therefore any chances of good counter-attack you had is gone cuz they have come very deep into midfield and were defending.

So i personally always leave at least my faster forward on LOW defence so he's there as soon as I get ball always have a chance of counter-attack and then I put my ST or other CF if i'm playin 2 up front with NORMAL defence but position him myself a bit deeper not by givin high defence because then he'd be too deep and also lose a lot of stamina if he has both high defence and some sort of arrow as I assume you guys put it on your forwards.

I hope that helps.
Hi PLF can you please answer my question about the offensive arrows because I don't know how they work, your help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance

http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24941
 
X

XXX2

Guest
Actually i dont think you lose more stamina if you set the defensive arrows to high or use offensive arrows
 

Zygalski

Ninja Samurai
2 February 2003
London, UK
England
I think PLF posted his response in the wrong thread.

XXX2, your replies are quite rubbish so far. Supply some reasoning or proof. Everyone has an opinion and if you want to show you're right, make some sense.
 

PLF

Legend
2 August 2004
@killercam, I posted in that thread.

@XXX2, it does make them tire faster. Think about it, do you get more tired if your manager tells you to make a forward run everytime your team gains poession of ball or do you get more tired when he tells you to stay in your own spot whether you have ball or not?.

Obviously Roberto Carlos making those dashing runs forward will tire him faster than if he wasn't to do that.

At same time what many do which is even worse is by doubling the poor guy's work by giving a forward arrow to a SB let's say and ALSO a HIGH defence. This is telling the guy to make a run forward as soon as we gain possesion of ball, so he loses stamina like that and at same time as soon as we lose poesssion, run your ass back fast.

IT's easy to see why he'll be way more tired this way than if he was to have normal defence arrow and no attack arrow which is the ideal situation for me anyways. This way he does get forward when time is right and put in a cross or two but he doesn't go gung-ho up front to leave the opposing winger all behind in case you lose posession and leave you vulnerable down that side.

Of course it depends on your SB.

when I have someone like Carlos, I dont put forward arrow on him cuz he already goes too much and gives the opposing RM too much space but if I have someone like Noe Pamarot as my right back for example or Abidal who is more defensive than attacking, they often dont go forward themselves until really good situation so if i want him to go forward more i put a diagonal forward and left arrow on him (outward) so he makes moves towards touchline.

So key is to know your players, study their attributes and then design your tactic in a way to maximize your strengths and minimize your weaknesses.
 

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
Tranmere Rovers
Sorry, what I meant by my last post was - if "anti-dribble" means the ability to hold up play in outfield players, then what is "GK anti-dribble"?
 

winston

Champions League
7 August 2005
Isn't anti-dribbling when your dad's sister spills soup down her chin? I can't help but wonder if there is some issue in the Jap-English translation here. If anti-dribbling is actually called keep-dribble in the PES manual, then perhaps gk-anti-dribbling is a keeper's abiltiy to dive at a guys feet as he tries to dribble the ball around him (ie. it really means anti-dribble, the ability to counter a dribbler).
 

PLF

Legend
2 August 2004
Like Winston said at times the names picked for certain abilities have been horrible by Konami or during translation process something went wrong ;) but no point talking about how confusing Konami makes things, what's important is what it really is and how it works which I've done my best to explain above.
 
Top Bottom