Anybody plays with 4-2-4 ?

zortex

League 2
13 August 2003
Hello Guys ,

I' ve been playing with a friend for couple of years and usually I beat him 7-8 times out of 10.But he finally found out a 4-2-4 a very attacking formation and now I have difficulties about dominating the game.And he beats me up 4 out of 10 I can say.
He told me that he learnt this formation from a superb playing guy from an online match.
In his formation Side backs are supporting the attacks as well.So he is coming from the wings at least with 2 speedy attackers and around the penalty area he has lots of options.If he passes calmly and if you consider tackling is harder in PES6 defending is much harder.
As a precaution.I turned my side backs into CB's and stopped them going forward.It worked a bit defensively but This time I was so weak in the attacking and ball possesion.
What I mean is:
It sounds foolish but this PES 6 pushes you to play with a freaky attacking formation..I always played 4-4-2 since WE6 but now I am playing with 4-3-3.
What you guys think ? I've seen couple of good guys playing heroic 4-2-4 kindda formation on online play.
Did you try ?

the 4-2-4 HAS the attacking option but it lack in the midfield term,that team must have a perfect and accurate short passer

as a result,ball control sucks in midfield but very dangerous in your opponents' halfway line near penalty box

Your job is obviously to stop the supply and try to keep the ball or win the ball in the midfield. Although this might not be easy by the sound of your friend playing through the flanks.

Does the two MF has a lot of work to do when your friend plays or was it the wingers and sidebacks doing all the damage?

Sidebacks and Wingers ! All game long I get tired to stop them.
May be I should change my formation in to a all the way to counter-attack.Pulling my wingers around the touch-line and making their defensive arrows low.So I can hit back like this.
But actually there is another point here...
If you play with 2-5-3 or 2-6-2 with Chelsea or Inter in TOP PLAYER mode (6stars)versus the AI
You don't face serious problems with these stupid formations.Isn't that weird?
This game is different and we have to be adopted and updated to these differences I guess.

shrink the field. Pull up your defence a LOT, only 2,3 ticks behind the defensive "border" (in edit position mode). Your first goal is to put him in offside (with 4 attackers it is pretty common) while also dominating the miedfield).

shrink the field. Pull up your defence a LOT, only 2,3 ticks behind the defensive "border" (in edit position mode). Your first goal is to put him in offside (with 4 attackers it is pretty common) while also dominating the miedfield).

I'm not sure with this, especially if we are talking about the new offside rule, as in effect in PES6

about that offside rule, i scored a couple of times in offside position

in order for this to work, u have to score as fast as u can before the offside whistle commence

about that offside rule, i scored a couple of times in offside position

in order for this to work, u have to score as fast as u can before the offside whistle commence

Well i don't think so... its just that they missed some little offsides (eg .. couple of cm offside), more realistic i say :D.

I've scored this way, but conversely has also conceded offside goals as well.

Well i don't think so... its just that they missed some little offsides (eg .. couple of cm offside), more realistic i say :D.

I've scored this way, but conversely has also conceded offside goals as well.
unfortunately,mine is about 1 metre offside...this is true to the fact, scored with peter crouch (who is in obvious offside position) when i crossed the ball to him

a 3-5-2 would stop that no problem also giving you the chance to bully the middle of the park with the plus style 5 in the middle
-----------------1--------------
------o-------------------------
-----------------------------o--
o-----o----1-----1-----1--------
--------------------------------
------o----------------------o--
-----------------1--------------

like this with wing back supporting and attacking him at the points. Your CB's would sweep up what the WB's would miss but your midfield would be on top so much he would rarely get through

Last edited:
A friend of mine uses 4-2-4 all the time. If you look at the formation screen you will see that his wingers are positioned close to the cornerflag. No matter what you do, your backs will never really manmark their direct opponent. Therefore it is relatively easy for him to perform through passes and crosses along the side line. After he has delivered the ball to his winger he resorts to constant dribbling trying to 1)score a tap in goal or 2) dribbling his way into the box and shoot in the far corner. He has perfected this strategy. It's boring and unrealistic. Unfortunately, in this game, it is also very effective. This strategy was even more effective in WE10.

Last edited:
A friend of mine uses 4-2-4 all the time. If you look at the formation screen you will see that his wingers are positioned close to the cornerflag. No matter what you do, your backs will never really manmark their direct opponent. Therefore it is relatively easy for him to perform through passes and crosses along the side line. After he has delivered the ball to his winger he resorts to constant dribbling trying to 1)score a tap in goal or 2) dribbling his way into the box and shoot in the far corner. He has perfected this strategy. It's boring and unrealistic. Unfortunately, in this game, it is also very effective. This strategy was even more effective in WE10.
change to 4-5-1 a1

like this:

---------------CF----

--------AMF---------
LMF----------------
-----------------RMF
-----------AMF1---

-------DMF-------

CB--CB---CB----CB

------GK-------

4 CB = HD = High Defense Back Arow
DMF = HD = high Defence with Back arrow (own half on the circle)

Amf1 = opponents half on the circle with Medium defence ( no attack arrow)

Rmf = Normal defence with arrow forward and forward in!
Lmf = same as rmf

Amf close the to red attacking area and defence low and attack arrow only forward..

the cf is close the midfield (green area) and give him a low defence and attacking arrow forward!

play with manchester!

settings:

backline a
offside trap b

use strategie pressure and opp side attack!

good luck

if he lose the ball u have plenty of options to pass to your opponents goal u dont have to relly on invidual players just pass!

hope it helps m8

Me and Jonestm were online last night doing 2v2 and we had the ultimate stratagy!

our games we picked first then our french opponents

Scotland(us) v Inter(them) 2-2

Kiev(us) v Barca(them) 2-3( due to pissy wing cross header messi!! pffffft)

Ado den Haag(us) Chelsea(them) 2-2 we hit the post last minute

We dominated everygame but being weaker teams our players were exhausted by halftime

the thing is i'd hate to share this formulae;)

Back
Top Bottom