Arctic Monkeys - Worth the hype?

Arctic Monkeys - Worth the hype?

• Total voters

CW

C Dub
Founding Member
6 October 2001
Liverpool
Well the lads album was released on Monday and its a good un from the first time you listen to it. Well it is from my point of view.

So is it worth the hype or a bag of shite, you decide!

Overhyped, certainly. Lyrics are very inventive in places and a little cheeky. Music could be better in parts. In my opinion though, most bands first album is their best.....so it's all downhill from here......:D

I've voted no but I've not heard it yet, just got it, I'll re-post if I think it's any good. I like different sorts of music though.

The music is good but no band can be this good as the hype that is created around them...
I've been following music for 30 years and this must be the 10.000th hype in Brittisch music.
A few that i remember: Adam and the Ants, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Garry Glitter, The La's, Cockney Rebel, Babyshambles,...(i wonder if you people could name other over-hyped bands).

The La's were good.
Cockney Rebel had a few good songs.
The rest is bullshit...

I agree with Gerd, this "newest hype from England" thing is starting to annoy me. Most of these bands don't even produce 1 decent album and the ones who are producing more than 1, usually are finished by the time they start to write their third one.

From Sheffield myself and i'm sick of hearing about them. They pack out the local club near me as it was the first place they really got noticed. Their guitar and drum sounds are fine, but the singing is shite and their lyrics - well, it's a cheesy write up on the modern world, styled perfectly to appeal to those people in need of simple solace.

A commercial product in an alternative fashion, it's all i'll say of them.

But really - singing style.. i think it's absolute bollocks.

Overhyped definatly

how can they be the next Oasis before they sold any ablums?

The next Oasis, hell i never made a record and i'm already better than No Way Sis...talking about hypes....that's the mother of all hypes...

Nah, i've been hyping them for the past year, i think they're brilliant, an antidote to the same old crappy Pop-Rock smart-suited bands (Kaiser Chiefs and Franz Ferdinand to name just 2) that release songs without any real meaning or tempo to them. The lyrics are witty, the drumming is exceptional and there are some top-class guitar riffs on there.

Also, i think this is another case of its cool to like a band before they are mainstream, but now they have hit the big time its cool to hate them. That seems to be peoples attitudes nowadays.

No

The fact that NME rated this album higher than the likes of Exile On Main Street and Revolver is the biggest farce i've ever heard in my lifetime

And next year NME will rate another new group higher than the classic albums you mention and Arctic Monkeys will have disappeared...

Stasman said:
Nah, i've been hyping them for the past year, i think they're brilliant, an antidote to the same old crappy Pop-Rock smart-suited bands (Kaiser Chiefs and Franz Ferdinand to name just 2) that release songs without any real meaning or tempo to them. The lyrics are witty, the drumming is exceptional and there are some top-class guitar riffs on there.

Also, i think this is another case of its cool to like a band before they are mainstream, but now they have hit the big time its cool to hate them. That seems to be peoples attitudes nowadays.

i agree, now they are mainstream its only natural for a load of people to say they are rubbish. i've liked them for a while so i don't feel as though i'm jumping on the bandwagon. they are a good band and deserve credit, but it has surprised me just how big they've got though.

I just hate the singing. Being from the area i can tell it's just too cheesy on the Yorkshire style vocals, i've begun to cringe whenever i hear them on the radio now sadly.

They've not amazed me with the guitar work or drumming, but i can say they are very talented on the musical side. But NME are having a laugh surely.

The drumming is incredible, listen to the intro on 'A Certain Romance' or towards the end of 'Vampires is a bit strong...'.

Will do, cheers... I've only listened to around half their stuff, with the released singles getting rammed down my neck too often.

I'll be pleasantly surprised to hear some quality beats but it won't beat a bit of good old Deep Purple

I know I'm getting old when Radio 1 seems to play the same old thing to death....in this case, The Arctic's.....

Rather listen to them than just about anything else in the charts, and I thought the NME readers voted for it??

i think the album is brilliant......haven't stopped listening to it!! not as good as richard ashcroft "keys to the world".......lovely stuff

I think it is one of the best albums I have heard for a while too, not comparable to Oasis, but then again no one is for me. I also reckon that they're not just a flash in the pan like most people think (as well as Noel Gallagher lol) although 'I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor' has grown pretty tiresome now and 'When The Sun Goes Does/Scummy' is getting towards that way too.

Jonny2J said:
No

The fact that NME rated this album higher than the likes of Exile On Main Street and Revolver is the biggest farce i've ever heard in my lifetime

Terrible, Exile on Main Street, you can't compare that to the Arctic Monkeys. Exile is a masterpiece and one of the most influential albums of all time. I can't remember how often I've listened to that. Brilliant.

Arctic Monkeys are so over hyped, just like the Kaiser Chiefs, built up to be something amazing, when really they aren't anything special.

joostebrood said:
Terrible, Exile on Main Street, you can't compare that to the Arctic Monkeys. Exile is a masterpiece and one of the most influential albums of all time. I can't remember how often I've listened to that. Brilliant.

That's typical for NME Joost, they don't care much about hindsight...it must be exhausting to constantly search for new hypes...to me NME is the prefect example o everything that's wrong with the music industry...
One month you are hyped and compared to Exile on Main Street, the other month the hype is over...
At the end of the year it's perfectly possible that the Arctic Monkeys will not be among the top 10 albums of the year...but still better than Exile On Main Street...Sweet Virginia...gotta scrape the shit right of your shoes!!!!

Their best song by far is 'The view from the afternoon'. great song! the album is ok -

It is Definately not one of the best albums ever...Thats very funny! can you see it standing the test of time like some of the greats? I myself can't see this.

I think they are refeshing, more bands should sing in their own twang. Rather than everyone singing with an american accent.

I have started to listen to Billy Bragg again, the man was/is a Genius!

gerd said:
That's typical for NME Joost, they don't care much about hindsight...it must be exhausting to constantly search for new hypes...to me NME is the prefect example o everything that's wrong with the music industry...
One month you are hyped and compared to Exile on Main Street, the other month the hype is over...
At the end of the year it's perfectly possible that the Arctic Monkeys will not be among the top 10 albums of the year...but still better than Exile On Main Street...Sweet Virginia...gotta scrape the shit right of your shoes!!!!
once again it was a readers poll, and the majority of NME readers will be 16-25 ish, and probably not great fans or very knowledgeable about music prior to the early 90s. I am actually quite impressed that some classic albums actually made it to the top 10 ahead of Babyshambles and Maximo Park's latest ;)

Back
Top Bottom