Are the goalkeepers a bit too good?

24 February 2006
I'm loving the new keeping animations, but it's started to strike me that they are rather good, to an unrealistic level. They rarely seem to make errors, except when they do that "sit down" animation and palm the ball into their own net. Then there is the long shot factor, it's almost impossible to score unless you hit a 95-100% perfect shot, in real life the lions share of goals are mis-hit shots which take the keeper by suprise, this rarely, if ever, happens in the game.

My brother and I did an experiment, taking Zlatan - we took 5 shots each continuously in training mode without going past the D. We scored about 20 goals in 300 shots, a vast amount of them were stunning, theatrical saves by the keeper - it was tedious and repetitive to say the least - obviously due to the task, but also because of the animation and lack of variation in outcome and the way it just doesn't feel very organic. It also became clear that only a perfect shot would get past the keeper at any stage, from any position. The best technique we found was R1 sprinting onto the ball and hitting the ball when it's just in front of the player. The R2 shots are more or less useless now it appears, unless you are cutting in from the wing and trying to curl one into the far corner. (Although 90% of these go well wide even with a player like Sheva, Henry, Zidane etc.)

I don't want this to sound like a groan and moan session, the game is as near to perfection as you can get, but this is one part of it which is beginning to niggle at me and I'm wondering if anyone else is sharing the same feeling.

You probably haven't played too many games yet? the goalkeeper in WE10 is THE worst ever. (many people will agree with me) In fact I'd go as far to say that the goalkeeper breaks WE10.
When I lose, most of the time it's the goalkeeper to blame.

It's so easy to score from outside the box now, it's ridiculous. Any striker seems like to be able to shoot like Adriano. Balls just fly straight through the keeper. Not to mention the slip through hands, into the net mistakes that you described yourself. 9 outa 10 times when you shoot at the keeper (doesn't even have to be hard) he'll block it or punch it away -> rebound -> goal. This rarely happened in previous versions.

The GK has butterfingers big time and yes I think it ruins what is other wise a decent game and a decent 'tweak' if you like of PES5.

I hope they change the Goalies for PES6 though.

DJ

To make the goalkeeper more realistic they should have goalkeepers have goalie stats not field player stats

djdoc360 said:
The GK has butterfingers big time

the keepers parry too much...if you strike the ball on the angle he'll parry the opposite way usually and hope that you have another player on the other side - easy goal...

Yep ive seen that happen a lot, one thing that annoyed me was I was playing as England and Arjen Robben hit a very normal shot which wasnt that powerful and it slipped through Robinsons hands and pea rolled into the net!! They need to sort this out because other than that I love the fact that for the first time pacey and skillful players can actually go past people and skill them with reasonable success and even on 6*s :)

DJ

I love the keepers they make me laugh when they molest your striker when you skip past em in a 50/50 ball :)

Yes, they're too good. People are complaining about them being crap, well keepers aren't as good in real life as they are in this game. The reason why the game is so easy to score in, is because shooting is sooo automatic. If this game wasn't so arcadey, and don't fool yourself, WE/PES is arcadey, then it wouldn't be so easy to get in to goal scoring positions to score so many goals.

Its not as automatic as FIFA though so we are ok on that one :)

DJ

The keepers make some terrible errors as mentioned, but the real problem is the shooting. WE10 is uber responsive, to the point where it's actually a problem. This is why :r2: shooting is now rendered almost useless, you don't have the same timeframe in between pressing :square: and the animation being executed to press :r2: that was present in WE10/PES5. The shot is released far too quickly. For the same reason, even the direction you shoot in doesn't feel 'right' because you can't hold the direction in for as long as before without the player responding (again because the player responds too quickly).

This is more of a rant on the shooting, but the keepers while their new reaching, one-handed animations are lovely still spill too many shots.

The keepers act like they have been told the ball is going to explode when you shoot at an angle. Always a parry and guess where...... straight to the oncoming attacker:mad:

Seabass change the master league format and those fockin keepers and you have the best game any human being in the galaxy has ever created. Rant over:salute:

The AI always go down the wing then head towards the front post. then they shoot from just inside the box and 90% of the time my keeper will fall baskwards on his backside and parry the ball behind himself.

It wouldnt be too bad if the keeper was on the front post and he was knocking off for a corner, but it happens with my keeper off his line and in the centre of the goal mouth.

So nearly every AI run down the wings result in cheap goals like that

Powerful shots always cause him problems, whoever mentioned the R2 shot is spot on, its so much more difficult to score with them as they usually go high and wide if you dont be subtle with it. The Goalies MUST be improved for PES6, They are getting to be a bit like FIFA 06's goalies who always parried shots to one side only for another Striker to slam them home... That doesnt happen too often in real football.

DJ

You know what guys, I think Seabass must be big fan of FABIEN BARTHEZ (the bald frenchgoalie) or/and he has been cloned into WE10.

jonestm said:
I agree wholehartedly with urbanspy.
WHOLEHARTEDLY!

Come out of your bubble. A wipeout avatar aaahhhh[-(

anyway we'll make this the last game:lmao:

i dont know why konami always release WE games too fast without testing it, every single title must have some of those annoying bugs, it is really get boring and i hope someone asks seabass if they even have some testers or not cuz this is really bullshit

Why dont we offer to playtest BETA versions for them and tell them about these bugs :) wouldnt that just be the NUTS!??

Ive always wanted to be a playtester for a games company.

DJ

Urbanspy is a REAL German though. Oh and that avatar is revolting, Materazzi is a rude vile pig!

jonestm said:
Urbanspy is a REAL German though. Oh and that avatar is revolting, Materazzi is a rude vile pig!

=; Like your Pedrag avatar. Create that yourself eh? Anyway McPherso is coming to get you and that dingy you BORROWED!

Back
Top Bottom