Are we too old for video games now?

VOTE:

• Video games are my life! Whats wrong with that?

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I love playing games but don't care if your console is better than mine

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I love video games but LIFE comes first

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Video games? They were fun when I was 10! I am an adult now!

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
E

El Diego

I have noticed that many of the forum members are 25+. Aren't we a bit old for gaming now? It's like some peoples biggest worry in life seems to be "Will the next PES/FIFA be any good & Xbox360/PS3/Wii; which is best?" etc. Isn't it all a bit pathetic? Don't we have bigger things to worry about? Or do you consider it a PURELY a hobby and no more?

Discuss my lovely friends. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Are we a bit too old for video games now?

Bit of a stupid question really; you like what you like. Just because I play a football game doesn't mean all I think about is "will the next one be as good as this", and just because I play on a DS when I've got free time doesn't mean all I'm thinking about for the rest of my life is "will I ever catch that golden Pikachu?"

Very stereotypical view, that everyone who plays games has nothing else to live for.

Re: Are we a bit too old for video games now?

What's with the constant making of threads my friend. Do you work for a market research company or something? ;)

Perhaps he does :) he even asked about the mortgage I had earlier :).

Anywayz yep I love playing on the 360 and sometimes I blow the dust off of the PS3 but in all honesty Life is more important.

Dj

Sorry if my thread-making is doing ya head in guys, I am bored in work! I work for an IT support company, don't worry! :)

Anywayz yep I love playing on the 360 and sometimes I blow the dust off of the PS3 but in all honesty Life is more important.
I love the way that you put "Life" with a capital L, as if it's a revolutionary new console or something... "Yeah Pro Evo 7 is good on the Xbox but have you tried it on the Life? You have to run with your actual legs, but if you accidentally touch Drogba he shatters into a million pieces and you get sent off, game over. The graphics are amazing."

That capital L was merely to show that I think Life is the most important thing to me....

Dj

Slightly odd asking this question on a message board about videogames. :)

Life clearly comes first. 5 weeks until my second child is born, slightly more important than gaming at the moment. However, it is my hobby and I really enjoy it when I have the time. I used to drink a lot and go to the pub a couple of times a week, not anymore, I've grown out of that. To me going out and getting absolutely hammered is more childish than staying in at home and playing a videogame. It is just my personal preference.

I wouldn't say getting hammered is childish, it depends on how you handle it. I don't drink at all in the week but there is nothing like a few vodkas or cold beers with a game of UEFA at the weekend or with the match (Everton v Man Utd this Sat). Running around the streets acting a twat when pissed is childish but so is arguing about which console is best via an internet forum.

It's all about balance in my opinion and playing video games is ONE of my favourite hobbies.

PS: Lemonjelly, good luck with the baby mate, congrats! :)

This is what I hate about our society, if we lived in Japan this would not be anything of an issue. It pisses me off how to some we are viewed as kids or a bit weird due to our liking of a box that produces bright colours and flashing lights on a tv. Its a toy, just for kids, this is not clearly how everyone in this country thinks and to be fair it is always getting less like this but still it shows how naive people can be.

I go up and down with my craving for games, for a long time their I never played a console much and stuck with he DS. Now my little boy is getting right into gaming a console is almost always on at some point.

Last edited:
I don't play my 360 as half as much as I should, I am just too busy. I could really do with a GoW session but I plug it in, put it on and just think "Meh, lay on the sofa with MTV and a beer!".

I feel like I am finally growing out of gaming and I HATE this. :(

I wouldn't say getting hammered is childish, it depends on how you handle it. I don't drink at all in the week but there is nothing like a few vodkas or cold beers with a game of UEFA at the weekend or with the match (Everton v Man Utd this Sat). Running around the streets acting a twat when pissed is childish but so is arguing about which console is best via an internet forum.

I have a couple of drinks with the footy, that wasn't what I was aiming at. It is the folk who go out with the primary aim of getting hammered, it is a mind set I don't understand anymore. What you described as your drinking pattern is, in my opinion, normal behaviour.

Arguing about videogames and consoles is childish, totally agree. But isn't arguing in general pointless and childish anyway as it serves no purpose and solves nothing.

PS: Lemonjelly, good luck with the baby mate, congrats! :)

Thank you.

Before I start the following rant, I'd also like to point out that I find threads such as the "Hot Women Thread" in this forum extreeemely childish. If I found somebody drooling over that, and if I saw someone next to them playing on the Nintendo DS, I know who I would think the more childish person was. But from the size of the thread and the amount of views it's had, I must be in the minority on that one.

But I totally, 100% agree with LJ. I'm 22 but I've never understood, and never even joined in, with the guys who go out purely with the aim of getting pissed. "Oh mate, it's gonna be great, I'm gonna puke by midnight" (that sounds like a song, haha) - I'd rather be the way I am than the way they are. Which puts me in the minority again, unfortunately.

Anyway, rant time!
Its a toy, just for kids, this is not clearly how everyone in this counrty thinks and to be fair it is always getting less like this but still it shows how naive people can be.
This is the number one thing that pisses me off with some people. I'm 22, my dad is 60, he plays Pro Evo/FIFA every now and then, and he's on his computer playing ShotOnline every single day of the last few months, and yet whenever a brother-in-law or nephew says to him "I hate the way that X happens in PES", he says "you have to remember it's just a kiddies game"...

He laughs his head off if he sees someone with a DS. If he notices you've got a new game, or heaven forbid a new console, he will hit the roof. "You're fucking mad you are, you're out of your head, you need your head seeing to". And yet if you say "fancy a game of Pro Evo" he will be sat down and have a pad in his hand before you've even switched the console on.

Something that pisses me off even more than that though is when he uses the content rating as if it's a difficulty rating. You know that PES/FIFA says "3+" because it hasn't got sex or violence in it, right? Well he (and my girlfriend's parents) say "if its not a kiddies game, why does it say 3+ on the box?" with the smuggest look on their faces... In-fact the girlfriend's mum, who is the female version of my dad (sits playing The Elder Scrolls games all day long) refuses to play anything with 3+ on the box - "I'm not playing that, that's for babies", like a ten-year-old would say. GOD that fucking winds me up.

*Goes to fetch stress-ball*

Anybody else know someone who thinks the "3+" means the game is for kids?

Last edited:
None of those questions are my opinion. Propably, I am a casual gamer, and a gadgets freak...

No way near 25... but I'm not addicted to gaming. This year, I have played on average 15 minutes per week LOL!

So that is usally made up of playing 1 hour of PES a month... LOL!

Exams, and now summer is here, more real footy to be played.

Explains my sig... I've got tons of games to get, and soo little cash.

Last edited:
I'm supposed to be waaaaaaay to old for video games...
It's just that i have a very busy and stressfull profesional life, a wife, two kids, a mortgage and sometimes i want to relax a litle bit...i used to do that with sports (five-a-side, squash, tennis, basket, football) but 10 years ago i had a rather nasty injury and the only sports i can do now are cycling (which i love) and running (which i hate). Instead i play video games now...i'm probably the lousiest player in the world, but i love it...In Belgium gaming is becoming a hype for men over 40, but most play shooters like Halo...i don't like that...
I play approximately an hour a day...and i don't give a fuck if i'm too old...must be midlife crisis...i choose the cheapest option: not a young girl friend (anticipated that, my wife is 10 years younger) or a sports car...but video games...

I'm supposed to be waaaaaaay to old for video games...
It's just that i have a very busy and stressfull profesional life, a wife, two kids, a mortgage and sometimes i want to relax a litle bit...i used to do that with sports (five-a-side, squash, tennis, basket, football) but 10 years ago i had a rather nasty injury and the only sports i can do now are cycling (which i love) and running (which i hate). Instead i play video games now...i'm probably the lousiest player in the world, but i love it...In Belgium gaming is becoming a hype for men over 40, but most play shooters like Halo...i don't like that...
I play approximately an hour a day...and i don't give a fuck if i'm too old...must be midlife crisis...i choose the cheapest option: not a young girl friend (anticipated that, my wife is 10 years younger) or a sports car...but video games...

im with stan on this one... but i feel like you el diego and games just dont grab me like they used too... PES3 or WE6 got me back into video games hardcore, the 360 has got me back into it as well...

I'm 18 now, and I still like playing video games, but not nearly as often as I used to, I used to go home and just play, not do any homework. Seeing how I'm going to go into college now, for a while I've been more responsible, and overall less interested in games. Of course I still get the newest big franchise games and play them till they're no more fun, Halo GTA etc, but I can't keep my interest in them as long as I used to.

Some real interesting posts guys :)

I really enjoyed myself last night on UEFA - it seems only sports games get me going these days.

Jack - "The Hot Women Thread" is SO CHIIIIIILDISH I agree mate. Have you ever been into a guys bedroom and he has posters of big-titted gals everywhere? That makes me cringe.

Anyway, Friday is my gaming night so roll on!

But I totally, 100% agree with LJ. I'm 22 but I've never understood, and never even joined in, with the guys who go out purely with the aim of getting pissed. "Oh mate, it's gonna be great, I'm gonna puke by midnight" (that sounds like a song, haha) - I'd rather be the way I am than the way they are. Which puts me in the minority again, unfortunately.

You dont know what your missing :)

Friday and Saturday are getting pissed nights, either go down town or go to a mates and drink. I have a right laugh at weekends with stuff we get upto when under the influence.

Unfortunately its never good when im sober.

As for gaming its a hobby, it passes time when ur bored. whoever even mentioned that life is more important has lost the plot because that goes without saying. Who in the right mind would say gaming before life hahaha

I had a feeling that you'd have pissed nights MrCoopz (reminds me of a bloke at college who used to piss himself laughing about how he'd go out, get drunk with his mates and regularly put themselves in wheelie bins and have races - I just find "drunken antics" totally and utterly pathetic, to be honest), but I'm saying nothing else, your life is your own. Booze floats your boat, games float mine.

Last edited:
I get pissed and dance around to music in the flat with the lady at the weekend or we'll go to a bar with all our mates and get pissed. Christ, if my life was sitting at home playing video games with no real contact with the outside world, I'd kill myself. I do agree with Jack, wankers who think getting pissed and putting traffic cones on other peoples cars at the weekends are pathetic, them people are usually known as students.

Like I have said before, I am 28 so too old for that shite but a drink at the weekend after a long week in work is NEEDED!

So what you're saying is that if you're teetotal your life isn't worth living? That if you get pissed and do stupid things at every opportunity then you're the genius and the person watching and being thankful he isn't a pisshead is the idiot?

That explains a lot of your posts.

So what you're saying is that if you're teetotal your life isn't worth living? That if you get pissed and do stupid things at every opportunity then you're the genius and the person watching and being thankful he isn't a pisshead is the idiot?

That explains a lot of your posts.

Stupid things? What, having a dance at the weekend? Jeez, you sound a barrel of laughs! :shock:

Don't be so condescending mate, it's called having fun and judging someone from their posts on an internet forum is ridiculous. Did you see where I think pissheads putting cones on cars is childish!? That is not me mate, I just enjoy a beer. You love your games, good for you.

If you're teetotal you're life aint worth living!? Where did I say that? I said:

"Christ, if my life was sitting at home playing video games with no real contact with the outside world, I'd kill myself"

Back
Top Bottom