Arguments FOR PES5 and AGAINST WE10

V

vik_sohonie

Heres why i think PES5 is altogether a better game..

Firstly, with regard to teams and players - when i play with arsenal or chelsea for example, i actually feel a large difference in the style of play and i feel like im playing arsenal football or chelsea football. With arsenal, a stock goal is often a killer thru pass from midfield (often from fabregas) which curls around the defender and reaches the feet of henry only for the french striker to tuck it away in typical henry fashion. Such is the case in the premiership week in and week out - thats classic arsenal football. When playing with chelsea, i could hit players on the break because my wingers would have run into the space the attacking fullbacks would have made and one killer thru ball from john terry out of the box and joe cole or robben would be released to wreak havoc on their respective wing, again - this is chelsea football at its finest. I dont see this in winning eleven 10 at all. A thru pass never releases a player, it either just goes straight to his feet without him being released into space or gets intercepted (95% of the time). :l1: +:triangle: doesnt have the same effect anymore, an effect whicch was fantastic. The Same goes with Milan, anybody who watches the Champ. Lge. in the last two seasons knows that a large majority of AC Milan's goals have involved clarence seedorf delivering an immaculate pass to free shevchenko, yes i kno he isnt on Milan anymore, but you cant do this in winning eleven. Seedorf will never deliver a cutting thru ball which releases Gilardino or Inzaghi for them to "tuck it away" you CANT TUCK IT AWAY IN WINNING ELeVEN 10!!! Basically what im saying is, the through balls in WE10 do NOT disect defenses.

Secondly, ive made this point before, WE10 has ruined defending, alot of ppl on this site argue that now defending has becoming a skill which you have to learn so its more rewarding. I disagree, i feel defending has been something which the computer has the upperhand, i remember playing a game England v Portugal where i was in box with rooney ready to strike it and two defenders came from BEHIND me and both slide tackled me in perfect unicen (first of all no human player can do this which demonstrates the non-realistic nature of WE10) and somehow they both got the ball, no foul called... excellent defending? i think not, i call it something else (but i wont use the word coz its considered blasphemy on any PES forum). Also, the computer has control of 4 defenders at any given time, no human player can control of 4 defenders who close u down simultaneously. The whole point of playing the computer is to simulate gameplay against a natural opponent if im not mistaken not some uber god-like team which manages to use player of 75 stamina to muscle the ball with ease from a player with 97 stamina (strange isnt it??). PES5 had EXCELLENT defending. here is a perfect example - say you are playing chelsea v arsenal and ljungberg is breakdown the right wing being marked by del horno (chelsea LB) and henry is breaking down the middle being marked by john terry, you could hold down :x: to close down ljunberg and if he managed to get a pass off you could hold down :square: for terry to place pressure on henry. The ability to decide when to close down which player reflected the ability of the person playing PES5 and the success of such a decision reflected the skill of the defender (e.g. John Terry). In WE10 i feel stats dont count for anything. Kolo Toure, an excellent defender, will get muscled out of the ball before he even has the chance to clear by podolski (who is a good player but come on we all kno who would win that battle). Oh and defensive headers dont work in WE10, they just dont, sometimes the ball hits the player on the other side of the head and goes the complete of the direction of the header. And the game is HIGHLY glitched, I was playing a game yesterday where a ball went thru my player only for the opposing strike to latch onto it and score, i watched the replay the ball graphic actually went THROUGH my defender, like a graphic glitch.

Finally, Long shots. They were perfect in PES 5, if you had space, timing, a skilled player with shot power and accuracy, you drive the ball in from 25-30 yds on your good days. In WE10, they just hit someone in the always overcrowded box. Sometimes i wonder if Konami scowers in the internet and reads PES forums like this one to understand what the FANS WANT! I kno some of you love it, you know what ill say that the multiplayer on WE10 is far more addictive than PES5, but the single player on Winning 10 - GARBAGE.

If you've taken the time to read all that, thank you. hope to hear why the rest of you hate/love either title. Peace

Prefer we10...and easily too. Multiplayer is what counts and we10 is much better in that department. Also, quick free kicks, new animations, etc..

I've downloaded the lastest OF Editor by Compulsion, juiced up the GK stats to make them better, and made the defence stats better... WE10 is now king!!

definatly anytime anywhere play we10 over pes5. pes5 made me stop playing in the first place. and getting the game back with we10 was aweseome. and knowing that we10 being shaped up into a better pes6 is nice to have on the horizon!

PES5 is far to frustrating! players cant seem to control the ball when they run onto it! they knock it miles away from themselves, it feels very robotic and you never quite feel totally in control of the ball where as WE10 has taken that and shot it to bits! you feel much more in control of the ball. Defending is ruined? nah you have just got to know how to defend, its not the same as PES5s just run at people and press X all the time, you need to time your challenges better and often you do need to use the Slide Button and at the right time this can do a good job for you.

DJ

ive started ML and its nearly impossible on WE10, my players (like u said about PES5) knock the ball yards in front of them, defenders on the opposing (shite D2 teams) mark up ALL my players, i dont kno how they do this- they are sticking to them everytime i look for an option to pass - and im gonna be posting some videos about how ridiculous the computer is or how ridiculous Konami has made them.

p.s. - ive tried using mark settings, yet my defenders dont STICK to the players i mark like they do, and how for god sakes do you overpower a player

we10 easily beats pes5. Was playing pes5 this weekend and got so frustrated by it because it felt so laboured and robotic. When pes5 came out i really didnt like the auto side step they introduced but got used to it and didnt notice it too much. Now however it feels so poor and clumsy compared to we10, WE10 gives so much more freedom. As for defending, just learn how to do it and then youll get better. Use the radar to look for free players.

I finally have a challenge on 6* ML :D

well how do you defend? im gonna be posting a few videos showing the ref's not calling OBVIOUS fouls from the ccomputer and then blowing the whistle for an identical foul made by me. Also when i chest the ball to control it, some defender has already comme storming thru me and taken the ball, HOW DO YOU OVERPOWER SOMEONE because i get overpowered all the damn time its so frustrating i wanna break my game cd. I was playing ML, i had terry and ferdinand both chasing a 170 cm striker who's stamina was 78 and he managed to shake THEM BOTH OFF!!!! ahh ive had, BACK to PES 5

I'm one of the biggest complainers about Konami's *forbidden word*. However, it's just not as apparent to me in WE10 as it was in PES5, I think PES5 was far worse. And the bottom line is, if you can't handle the way the game reacts, turn down the difficulty. I know that a high setting should make the AI perform better, but fairly, it just doesn't though. It's not about making it a fair but tougher challenge, it's simply about making it tougher.

The collision-detection problems are not limited to WE10, they've been around for a long time, including PES5 so that's a moot point. The introduction of the auto-sidestep in PES5 was a terrible mistake, one they've already rectified. Goalies in WE10 are at times poor, it's very easy to run around them when in a one on one situation (I know this isn't unusual in real football but in WE10 the keepers are far too aggressive at times and run out way further than they should, they make it very easy). They do pull off some nice one-handed saves, on the plus side.

You can tuck them away in WE10, although it's slightly harder and at times it actually works out the tighter the angle, the higher the chances are of scoring (due to weak goalkeeper positioning at the near post).

WE10's defending system is improved over PES5, but needs further balancing. It's gone from an ultra-defensive game in PES5 to ultra-attacking in WE10, and isn't balanced nicely.

btw, every single AI team in PES5 played the same way IMO, they all defended inside their own half and extremely deep.

WE10>PES5, but neither is the 'Perfect Version'...

I think PES6 might be the "perfect version" that we're looking for if it has the right balance between the two games.

PES5 the CPU builds up a great wall of China and you often cannot score!! Yet the CPU can rip your defence to pieces and score.... hmmmmm..

WE10 as I demonstrated to myself last night if you work an opening you can score goals even if the CPU gets his defence sorted. PES5 talked a load of bollocks at times and I usually had 0-0 or 1-1 draws or lost on 6* master league. Last night on WE10 I was in a D1 Cup Quarter Final Against Chelsea and it showed me exactly why we love WE/PES so much! Dramatic is an understatement! I was 3-2 down at Stamford Bridge at the final whistle and I honestly thought at Old Trafford I was going to lose it.... I took the lead early at Old Trafford but then it all went a bit pear shaped and if you looked at the 2 - 1 to Chelsea scoreline at halftime you would have thought I was dead and buried! But! Rooney scored a lovely early 2nd half goal from some lovely attacking passing play!, then 2 thumping goals from 2 Players I created based on me and my mate won me the tie! (and before anyone says "thats why you won it" it isnt our stats are realistic and not tonnes of stats in the 90's!) I was going absolutely mad! it felt like Nou Camp 1999 all over again in UEFA!!! Thats why I love Winning Eleven 10 over PES5....

DJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Well more reasons why WE10 frustrates me -
1. defenders get away with fouls
2. the computer defense can control 3-4 players at any given time
3. the computer defense predicts what ure gonna do ALL the time, i cant remember the last time i dribbled somebody (and p.s. im a pretty good winning eleven player if i have to admit it, not being cocky, but i kno the game have been playing ever edition as long as i can remember).
3. creating an opening is impossible
4. you cant defend against defending, you'll be charging down the wing with robben and all of a sudden some no-name right back catches up to you and muscles you out of th ball

there are so many reasons
like i said ill be posting several videos to show u what im talking about, maybe then you all will agree with me or come to the conclusion that theres something seriously wrong with my version of the game! haha anyway if anyone has any advice on how to DEFEND against DEFENDING, if u notice when u tackle perfectly and take the ball, the computer player somehow manages to recover from the tackle incredibly fast and just recovers the ball. Also theres no difference between 4 & 5 stars, 3 stars you win like 9-0.

Yes I have sometimes noticed that but I seem to have been able to deal with it and play the game... :)

I love WE10 I think its brill.

DJ

i think one of the main frustrations is the pressing game the cpu plays, man they dont let up. i mean i played a match between man city and newcastle., at one point all outfield players bar citys goalie where on screen at once on the edge of the are. It drives me insane. sometime you play we10 and its the greatest thing ever, but sometimes you go through patches of frustration and you think how crap it can play sometimes.

frustrating stuff.

The goalkeeper's interventions is the one and only point on which PES5 actually is better. Goalkeeper's animations are still stronger in WE10, as well as the rest of the game.

agreed antred, defenders dont let the hell up BUT i have to say, the learning curve on this game was ALOT longer than previous versions and im actually beginning to adjust better, less games are frustrating, and i dont care if it is blasphemy on this site - the computer does cheat every now and then. but i will agree, once u get a better grip on how to defend, its very rewarding, HOWEVER... corners and crosses are scripted i think - if the comp wants it to be a goal, good luck stopping it. all in all, im starting to enjoy the game a WHOLE lot more tho.

we 10 is much better i went to my friends the other day and was playing pes 5. It took me about 5 matches to get used to it again everything felt so sluggish, now i make sure i take my hdd so they can enjoy we 10 and now they cant wait for pes 6.

vik_sohonie said:
agreed antred, defenders dont let the hell up BUT i have to say, the learning curve on this game was ALOT longer than previous versions and im actually beginning to adjust better, less games are frustrating, and i dont care if it is blasphemy on this site - the computer does cheat every now and then. but i will agree, once u get a better grip on how to defend, its very rewarding, HOWEVER... corners and crosses are scripted i think - if the comp wants it to be a goal, good luck stopping it. all in all, im starting to enjoy the game a WHOLE lot more tho.

yeah the crossing is miles better on we9

I think PES5 is better in the way you have to earn a stylish volley or a long range screamer. But in WE10 amazing stuff like that happens in every match, even the rubbish teams pull off some classy s***, quite often aswell. I love all the new animations and all, but i just wish it was toned down a bit...

I played PES5 for the first time in a while last night on the PC and I couldnt beleive how frustrating the control of the players is! you cant out run or skill past any player! your players feel like robots and seem to move how they want to move. I found it a big time struggle to make chances!

DJ

ive never played WE10 only PES games on PS2.

so i cant really give a valid opinion. but from what i know they tend to rush WE games.

so WE games is easier then PES titles.....

wrong impression jae, the WE games are generally regarded as the better more realistic version with pes being faster and more arcade.

Back
Top Bottom