ARISE: a simple story (Game by an evo-web member)

100%
Feel the same way.
I'm constantly looking for games like Firewatch (totally loved it).

And this one, ARISE, looks perfect for me if it wasn't because it's PS4 exclusive. Would love to get it if it was on PC.

It's going to be released on Epic Games Store for PC. I would highly recomend to play it with a game controller like dualshock4 or the Xbox One controller, something with two sticks, as the game makes use of both sticks and the analogic nature of them.

Indie games are my cupper for sure,and can't wait to for it to pop up on my Xbox store.
Hope id@xbox pushes it,will deffo reach out to their ambassadors who livestream a lot of the games mentioned in this thread!

@MafiaMurderBag gave Rime a go (game pass)
Great tip mate,brilliant game!
Reminds of a mix between Brothers and The witness
Glad you like it, Another one of those games that everybody needs to play and deserves more downloads!

It's simple, Yet immersive and touching. Pretentious reviewers complained that the puzzles were too easy. They forget that not everybody wants to solve the bloody Da Vinci code when playing a game, Bot everything has to be like Portal.

I watched my Daughter complete this game (I stepped in on a couple of puzzles though) and it was a perfect experience. That's who this game was made for, People who don't necessarily want to even play a game, But want an endearing experience and be told a story with sights and sounds, not words.

Rime mastered this approach. I'll never forget this game.

Glad you like it, Another one of those games that everybody needs to play and deserves more downloads!

It's simple, Yet immersive and touching. Pretentious reviewers complained that the puzzles were too easy. They forget that not everybody wants to solve the bloody Da Vinci code when playing a game, Bot everything has to be like Portal.

I watched my Daughter complete this game (I stepped in on a couple of puzzles though) and it was a perfect experience. That's who this game was made for, People who don't necessarily want to even play a game, But want an endearing experience and be told a story with sights and sounds, not words.

Rime mastered this approach. I'll never forget this game.
Great description.
That's why I love Brothers/little nightmares/inside ,no dialogue!
Took me a while before I started to play this one,had it on my radar for a while,but since you recommended it,and it was on game pass!
Stunning game!

Great previews, Alex. I also read a very good preview in Belgian magazine gameplay.
So glad for you!

That's an amazing review, thanks! Independently of the scores, we are proud of what we did with few resources and a tight schedule. The game still has some minor issues we are working on to patch, but overall people love the narrative and production values. It has been a long and excruciatingly hard road, but it is so fulfilling when you see people reacting emotionally to it!

I'm playing it litle by litle (not much time). I really love it. It's a beautiful and very touching game. You should be very proud, Alex.

Looking very good, and touching like Stan said. Remind me a bit of Okami, which is one of my favourite game of all time.

I really hope i will get the success it deserves, i will buy it for sure.

Thanks!!! We are now trying to iron out some things in a patch, but we're very very satisfied with the reception so far. Let me know your thoughts if you play it / finish it. It's very valuable information for us.

Bought this as a toast to the good old days on here (when all that I had to worry about was nets being too rigid) and also as comparisons to Rime piqued my interest. Loving it so far. Just as beautiful and touching as I hoped it would be.

Well done, Drek - hope it gets the sales it deserves.

Raving revue on Belgian gaming site 9Lives.

Arise is het eerste spel van indie ontwikkelaar Piccolo, en wat voor eentje! De game is wondermooi met kleurrijke omgevingen, prachtige muziek en een verhaal dat zoals de titel zegt, simpel is, maar je vanaf de eerste seconde toch bij de keel grijpt. Arise doet op het eerste zicht een beetje denken aan de indie klassieker Journey maar overstijgt dat spel in zowat elk aspect en zet een nieuwe prestatie neer in games als kunstvorm.

Translation:

Arise is the first game from indi developer Piccolo and it's is some game. De game is beautiful with colourful surroundings, lovely music en een story dat is indeed simple, but immersive from the first seconds. Arise reminds me of indie classic Journey, but is better in each and every aspect and is setting a standard for games as a form of art.

Bought this as a toast to the good old days on here (when all that I had to worry about was nets being too rigid) and also as comparisons to Rime piqued my interest. Loving it so far. Just as beautiful and touching as I hoped it would be.

Well done, Drek - hope it gets the sales it deserves.

Thanks you very much! I hope you like it and most of all, it moves you. We value emotional connection with the game more than anything.

Raving revue on Belgian gaming site 9Lives.

Arise is het eerste spel van indie ontwikkelaar Piccolo, en wat voor eentje! De game is wondermooi met kleurrijke omgevingen, prachtige muziek en een verhaal dat zoals de titel zegt, simpel is, maar je vanaf de eerste seconde toch bij de keel grijpt. Arise doet op het eerste zicht een beetje denken aan de indie klassieker Journey maar overstijgt dat spel in zowat elk aspect en zet een nieuwe prestatie neer in games als kunstvorm.

Translation:

Arise is the first game from indi developer Piccolo and it's is some game. De game is beautiful with colourful surroundings, lovely music en een story dat is indeed simple, but immersive from the first seconds. Arise reminds me of indie classic Journey, but is better in each and every aspect and is setting a standard for games as a form of art.

That's a great review Gerd! My friend, it is amazing when people connects with your game that well, it feels very satisfying and we are honored to be compared to such big names.

Most reviews are like that, and we have a lot of reviews on the 8-9 mark (and a few 10s!), but some reviewers are penalizing a bit the score because of the controls in specific sections of the game, so we are releasing a patch in the next weeks improving the platforming, so we hope casual gamers enjoy it even more and reviewers keep getting us high marks. It is so difficult to please everyone ;)

We are very proud of what we did in only 22 months of development, and we are currently working on a new project. But respect to sales, there's something funny, there are a lot of streams out there of the whole game, with a lot of viewers watching it completely on streams. Many people are congratulating us and telling us how amazing the game was... on sthe stream! So we still don't know if that is going to impact sales positively or negatively. We will have to wait.

Gaming has changed a lot, guys. The old "we are going to develop a good game and it will sell just because it's a good product and has good reviews" doesn't apply anymore.

I sincerely hopes it sells very well, Alexis. Not only because i like you very much, but even more because it is a really good game.
I'm currently playing the "sun flower level" and i really love it.

It seems watching games on streams is a big thing. My 16 year old son does it quite a lot, it seems he does this more than gaming itself...as an old out of touch man, i find that weird...

Most reviews are like that, and we have a lot of reviews on the 8-9 mark (and a few 10s!), but some reviewers are penalizing a bit the score because of the controls in specific sections of the game
Yeah, I see where they're coming from. I mean, I DL'd it today from the Epic Store and started playing... And I'm drowning like twice per minute.

Jokes apart (I only need to get used to the controls I guess), this is a joy to look at and it's pretty emotional (especially when you discover memories).
The artistic side of the game is also great. I just love the drawings of the memories... Is there a chance (long long shot, I know) that we could download them somewhere?

I'll report back once I go further, but for the moment... Great job! 🤟

We are releasing a patch soon that addresses a lot of the fustration of certain jumping sequrnces, a pitty we didn't get it in time for the release.

We went for a hard approach to controls at tge beginning (we wanted you to feel a bit like an old man, not super mario), but we found a way to improve control of the jumos and make olatforming more enjoyable, so if you appreciate that you could wait for the patch.

Hope to see you guys reach the end of the game and see what it makes you feel.

About the memories, possibly in the future we make tgem available to people, but that also depends on the publisher.

We are releasing a patch soon that addresses a lot of the fustration of certain jumping sequrnces, a pitty we didn't get it in time for the release.

We went for a hard approach to controls at tge beginning (we wanted you to feel a bit like an old man, not super mario), but we found a way to improve control of the jumos and make olatforming more enjoyable, so if you appreciate that you could wait for the patch.

Hope to see you guys reach the end of the game and see what it makes you feel.

About the memories, possibly in the future we make tgem available to people, but that also depends on the publisher.

This is some quality game mate. Lot of time and heart was put in it.

I just discovered that the game is some sort hype among my son's friends.
Thomas has told his friends that 'a friend of his father' has published a splendid game.
Some of them bought it, they liked it and now it is the must have game for Christmas among his friends.

Usually they play games like Call of Duty, Fortnite and FIFA. Now they are playing a game with an old man as proncipal character. Some of them even asked what it all means.

It also enhanced my status among these 16 year olds. Suddenly i'm the coolest dad… and this all thanks to drekkard.

A serious question now, Alexis. I'm playing the game but i'm playiong it very slowly (currently i'm in the AWay level with the earthquake - a difficult level imo). Thomas and i play with the same Playstation but he can't play the game unless he starts a new game and that would mean i lose my safe game. Is there a way to find a solution?

Thomas has told his friends that 'a friend of his father' has published a splendid game.
Some of them bought it, they liked it and now it is the must have game for Christmas among his friends.

Usually they play games like Call of Duty, Fortnite and FIFA. Now they are playing a game with an old man as proncipal character. Some of them even asked what it all means.

It also enhanced my status among these 16 year olds. Suddenly i'm the coolest dad… and this all thanks to drekkard.

A serious question now, Alexis. I'm playing the game but i'm playiong it very slowly (currently i'm in the AWay level with the earthquake - a difficult level imo). Thomas and i play with the same Playstation but he can't play the game unless he starts a new game and that would mean i lose my safe game. Is there a way to find a solution?
Logging on with a different account would mean that you have a different save, right? Isn't it like that across the board?

Logging on with a different account would mean that you have a different save, right? Isn't it like that across the board?
We have a different account, but not for Playstation network.
I mean that we both use the same mail-adress.

This is some quality game mate. Lot of time and heart was put in it.

Thank you! Yes, it's a lot of time and a lot of effort to raise from scratch something like this. Thanks!!!!

It is fun to imagine call of duty / fortnite players on our game, thanks to you Gerd ;) Let's see if they like it because it's a game that plays a lot with emotions. I'm very curious about it. Let me know what happens with them. In the playtests that we did, 17-20 years old loved the game, it was a surprise for us. I'm glad the game turned you into the coolest dad!

Regarding difficulty, it depends on the level/memory. Level 3 is a sad memory thus it's difficult, probably the most difficult level of the whole game. If the difficulty is in the puzzle itself (understanding what to do) that's a good thing as it is intended. If it's in the controls, the patched version makes it much better.

We just released a patch for PC version that addresses some situations related to jump/camera. Hardcore/skilled players won't notice much difference but it makes a huge difference for less skilled players. Once we detected that less skilled players were having problems at very specific points, we imprroved it. Ps4 and Xbox versions will receive the patch at the end of the week I guess (it depends on Sony and Microsoft, our work is done since Friday).

Exactly! If you create another user with another email then each user has its own save game. We didn't have time to implement different savegame slots, we were in a crazy tight schedule so we had to put the effort on the story and audiovisuals.

@drekkard , I think you should see this:

Wd6D9nO.png

It's from an italian forum I usually read, and it roughly translates into...

"I just finished Arise: a Simple Story:
it's wonderful, a gem of rare beauty, I'm crying like a child, you need to have a big big heart to bear and understand the ending"

The same user had this to say while he was playing:
"You won't shoot, you won't fight. You have no inventory, nor statistics of any kind: you can only let time flow forward, rewind it at will, or freeze it indefinitely.
These actions allow you to relive every season of our life, collecting memories, emotions and moments: joys and sorrows, victories and defeats. Everything relies on simple yet artistically effective graphics which are very well done, and on a soundtrack that has almost no contenders"

When I asked him if I could pass his impressions on to you, he said...
a0QKJ9B.png

"You can give him and everyone at Piccolo Studio every possible praise on my behalf, thank them for the emotions they made me feel and for the powerful message they intended to send with the game".

It looks like it's being received very well here, and I'm totally happy for you! 🤩

Back
Top Bottom