Ireland
Cover:
4081-ark-survival-evolved-21-1543957414.jpg

Platforms: PC/PS4/Xbox One
Release Date: 02Jun2015

Developer: Wild Card
Genre: Survival/Action/Adventure

Description:
In the game, players must survive being stranded on an island filled with roaming dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals, natural hazards, and potentially hostile human players.

Continuing on my Football Games rehab I stumbled upon another survival game and been playing it for the last week or so.

Initial feeling was a bit weird. Coming from Dayz, where everything was so focused on realistic mechanics (having to carry planks/logs and use shovels/nails/hammer in order to build a single fence) - Ark felt very... Minecrafty...
You hit a tree and get little pop-ups
+5 wood
+ 5 wood
+ 5 wood
...it didnt really sit with me.

But then I started dwelling deeper and it shocked me how there is a clash of simplicity and then EXTREME realism at the same time.

Resources and dinos dont simply respawn.
Trees have to grow back, dinos are hatched and nurtured by mothers, meat spoils if not cooked, small dinos will not attack you if they are alone (but will in a group), when dinos are about to die - they stop attacking and try to flee..
There is so much depth in this game and it feels like i only scratched the surface.

Building is UNREAL. You can craft anything, from Thatch shacks, wooden houses, tree houses, to medieval fortresses and even sci/fi structures.

Speaking of sci/fi - there are two modes. Survival evolved and Primitive Plus.
First one will take you on a journey from being a caveman to... power ranger basically.
Second one will stay more grounded, having more primitive weapons, crops, furnitures..
Instead of Star Wars looking guns you will be able to craft flint pistols and muskets.

Primitive mode is way more fun to me and it fits the narrative better. But its all personal preference really.

There are 5 or 6 free maps, Solo/Offline Mode, PVE and PVP servers.

Atmosphere is amazing, hundreds of types of creatures, great sound effects, really immersing.

Its also very challenging. Dont know how many times I died already.
But having great fun so far.
Highly recommend, especially that you can get it for 10quid now.

• Staff
2.5 years and no replies makes me wonder if no one ever tried this game, or people just dont like it.
But if they didnt like it - they'd probably say it here, coz we are not ones to be shy to say something is shit. :LOL:

Anyways - I went back to it, while waiting for Valheim next week.
On gamepass - there is an ultimate version with all DLCs.
Xbox also got proper next gen update (Ps5 only got fps boost) and it looks absolutely stunning on series x.

I also found really good settings for single player which makes it easier to survive, without sacrificing challenge.

They added few new maps and some of them are 150sq km. Comparing to first map released, which was 36sq km - they are huge.

Im having absolute blast. Definetely one of the best survival games on consoles.
I also tried Stranded Deep and it was decent, but doesnt really compare to this. Here I feel like I was really lost in a land of dinosaurs.

• Staff
I haven't played this since 2016, but apparently there is a sequel coming this year.
There is, but it will be Xbox exclusive for a good while. I suppose its one of the reasons why they gave middle finger to next gen PS5 version..
Sequel will be mainly third person with more "souls like" combat from what I heard.
But not many games made me afraid to get off the beach and venture into a jungle. And very few are as customisable as this one, when it comes to core game mechanics.

• Staff
Life is all the survival gaming I need
I do have to say - after playing countless coop/multiplayer games with friends - none are as good craic as survival/crafting games. Thats where real madness happens.

Back
Top Bottom