Arseing Pro bloody evo

Ugeine

League 2
1 October 2003
North-hamp-tooon
North-hamp-tooon
Hello there. I've been playing pro evo for aeons, and as far as I can remember I've been blaming the game when I loose (though, strangely, if I ever score a great goal or win six nil i forget this argument completely). Regardless, I've been getting so annoyed in recent times I Thought I'd test my theories:

When you tackle to opposition it always goes to them.

When they get fouled it's a yellow card/red card/freekick when you get fouled there's no yellow.

Passing always seems to go to pot at the final third.

Alright then, just finished a game in the ML against Celtic with my Arsenal team and lost two nil (6 star). I tested these things in a bloody tedius way (since pro doesn't give stats like amount of tackles made) every time I got a foul, I replayed it to see if it was a foul, wrote where it was etc. Every time I gave the ball away, I wrote where it was, tried to remember what button I'd pressed. Every time I tackled a player I wrote who it went to and when.

I made a total of 25 tackles, (they had lots of possession) and 19 went to another person or off the pitch. I got the ball six times from a tackle, three of them were my CF on a CB and the other three were my cmf on their dmf/cmf. In ninety minutes I never tackled them in their own half, I only got the ball if they put it out, over, or I managed intercepted it (I did that about 12 times i think). That's nineteen times they got the ball after I tackled them, varying from getting back up after a slide and carrying on before me/another person carrying on the slide, from balls randomly pinging to the next person on their team or halfway across the pitch to go off.

A total of 25 fouls to me with a red card and four yellows. Majority of them were in the middle of the pitch due to my style of play: about 13 of them in my half, 4 of them in the final third. I got the yellow cards for two late challenges, where I'd pressed the circle with the intent of getting the ball but ended up getting the player. Two were malicious near the end of the game in their half (you know how it is) and the red came for a challenge outside the penalty area. Most of my fouls were spread aroudn the ptich though in the upper half of my half was the most likely.

I should describe the red because it's quite important. My player was as below and got a late tackle from the side.

Surely that's not a red? two of my yellows (the late ones) happened in this area (final third).

A total of fourteen fouls to them with no reds or yellows. 12 of these fouls happened in the final third, three of them my red. Fouls that didn't get reported were two fouls from behind in a one on one situation where the ball had clearly hadn't been touched and a elbow to the face (i only count this as a foul because yesterday I got annoyed after I nearly scored a volley but got called back for a fould I didn't commit, replayed it and discovered that Tevez had lost his makrer by giving him a cheeky little elbow in the face before running, entertaining but annoying since I didn't ask him to).

Now, as I give away four challenges in the final third getting booked three times for my troubles, they gave away twelve in the final third an got nothing.

I used to parctice and pratice free kicks on pro 5 until I could score about 7/10 because of the above, I was fed up of drawing nil nil or one nil because I kept getting manhandled. In my old ML, Nihat was the highest scorer with about 34, at least 18 came from free kicks.

I'm crap at them on 6, and realised again that most of my final third challenges were within a good range for free kick scoring (25 M and in) which I kept on fluffling.

Another fun little thing, I've used the quick free kcik thing thinkinh it would solve this problem but more often then not the ball goes to the oppostition, so I've stopped.

And a couple more things: I used to pass with x and a basic left right up down until I kept giving the ball away in pro 6, so now I use diaganols as well. Of all the times I gave the ball away in the final third, and it was a lot, it seemed to go to the wrong person. I.E (from left to right) I have two players waiting, one on the leftwing been marked and a CF goalside of a DF. I'm about five yards behind and to the right of the CF, so I pass Up and right to pass to the CF but it tries to go to the winger and gets intecepted. Later on, I have the same situation but this time the winger is free and the CF is marked by two players, so I press exactly the same and it goes to the CF.

Now, I realise that this may be because A) I may be crap at pro, no matter how good I think I am B) I'm a paranoid stoner or C) that I'm crap at recording these types of data things, but:

Why is it that I give away four challenges in the final third getting booked three times, they gave away twelve in the final third an got nothing?

19/times they get the ball after I tackled them?

You see, I would argue that because it's supposed to be a realistic footy simulation but unlike Fm you have actual control over where the players go and stuff, it's a lot easier to make these shortcuts thus making games seem more realistic ( as in fustrating because you can't break down their atacking play whilst really the ball just goes to them anyway), but this isn't based on anything and I don't know sh*t about the computer industries.

But could somebody else explain?

Last edited:
All of what you've said is true. You've given yourself the explanation, which is "it's a lot easier to make these shortcuts thus making games seem more realistic". Konami's argument would be they're only limited to so much CPU power and if they didn't include these cheats (which, sorry guys, they are), that every game would finish 0-0.

They've now been gifted more power with the 360, something the project leader Seabass has called for, for years in-fact, but they haven't used it; instead they've rushed out a conversion (the only thing they didn't rush is the graphics, surprise surprise). So either the guy has run out of ideas or he can't program on a new console the same way that he could on a PSone (which is still the core gameplay engine).

He won't rewrite it, he'll just add more code on-top which will end up in 5 sequels that play exactly the same and 3 new bugs each year. But if he doesn't produce three games a year, then Konami will be asking him what's going on (obviously, in the mind of a business, three crap games that sell three million each, totalling almost ten million, is better than one great game that sells three million).

Fantastic post, by the way. Prepare for all of the fanboys to come in and say "you're just crap and you can't bear losing - play the game more".

I tested these things in a bloody tedius way (since pro doesn't give stats like amount of tackles made) every time I got a foul, I replayed it to see if it was a foul, wrote where it was etc. Every time I gave the ball away, I wrote where it was, tried to remember what button I'd pressed. Every time I tackled a player I wrote who it went to and when.

lol.

You need to get out more. Or stick this on your CV and apply for a testers job at konami :-)

lol.

You need to get out more. Or stick this on your CV and apply for a testers job at konami :-)
Do they have any of them?

But seriously, you could do this every match and you'd get the same results. Try adding in the number of times you get tackled and your player "stands still" while the AI runs off with the ball and when it happens the other way, the AI has the ball back within a couple of paces.

I could write a 10 page report on this game descibing the problems. When I wrote to them recently to complain about the 360 version, I did offer my services to them... I'm sure they wouldn't want someone with experience who could find the flaws though, they'd rather give it to the mags who will happily gloss over them.

I think Jack Bauer has pretty much covered the reasoning behind it, people buy it, why fix it? Or more importantly, they don't know how to fix it, so you'll just have to keep buying it as it is.

Last edited:
All of what you've said is true. You've given yourself the explanation, which is "it's a lot easier to make these shortcuts thus making games seem more realistic". Konami's argument would be they're only limited to so much CPU power and if they didn't include these cheats (which, sorry guys, they are), that every game would finish 0-0.

They've now been gifted more power with the 360, something the project leader Seabass has called for, for years in-fact, but they haven't used it; instead they've rushed out a conversion (the only thing they didn't rush is the graphics, surprise surprise). So either the guy has run out of ideas or he can't program on a new console the same way that he could on a PSone (which is still the core gameplay engine).

He won't rewrite it, he'll just add more code on-top which will end up in 5 sequels that play exactly the same and 3 new bugs each year. But if he doesn't produce three games a year, then Konami will be asking him what's going on (obviously, in the mind of a business, three crap games that sell three million each, totalling almost ten million, is better than one great game that sells three million).

Fantastic post, by the way. Prepare for all of the fanboys to come in and say "you're just crap and you can't bear losing - play the game more".

Sounds about right. Of course, it could be a freak coincidence, but that would be quite lucky. It seems the games fustrating in the way the blood ything never does what it tells you rather then fustrating in the old pes3 way.

Just got dumped out of the cup by Chelsea now as well. Best part of two weeks to bloody qualify as well.

I used to parctice and pratice free kicks on pro 5 until I could score about 7/10 because of the above, I was fed up of drawing nil nil or one nil because I kept getting manhandled. In my old ML, Nihat was the highest scorer with about 34, at least 18 came from free kicks.

Practice does make perfect. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umnDTUNOrPw

(What the video means is that PES6 freekicks suck).

Can't really add anything more, that is PES and that's it, you learn to live with it and play the thing, replacing controllers when necessary. Or you switch to Fifa which has a lot of different niggles, scripts and glitches!!
I think the main gripe at konami is their reluctance to grow or alter anything other than the odd tweak.
I get the feeling Konami feel anything they toss onto the market is going to sell and they can split it into three or four paydays with the slight variances between PES WE and JL, not to mention any Fe's. It's like a bad Groundhog day trip....

Back
Top Bottom