Arsenal - really flying the British flag in Europe?

CW

C Dub
Founding Member
6 October 2001
Liverpool
Well with the Gooners being the only British club left in the competition they seem to be getting all the press but their win over Juventus in the Champions League saw no British player take to the pitch for them.

My question to you is do you care that a British team that are currently fielding no British talent could possibly go on to win the tournament or does it not matter?

I personally don't like it. I think they need to bring back restrictions on how many foriegn players can be fielded at any one time. The fact that it would wipe out 70% of the Arsenal squad is beside the point :)

If I was a manager, I wouldn't be too happy if I was told I couldn't play the eleven foreign players I'd spent £264m on in the same team.

I think it's perfectly right the way it is. When young British footballers reach the standards of other countries, British squads will fill up with British players again, as will teams from all around the world. Until then, it's only fair that you can buy the best players and play your best team, surely?

Should we let them field foreigners? I say Yes. Let teams play who ever they want.
But when asked the question of whether I care for an english team like Arsenal, I'd definately say no. Even though I hate Liverpool a lot more, I still found myself cheering them on in the CL final. Theres no chance in hell that you'll see me doing the same for Arsenal if all their players are foreigners cuz you'd find it harder to find a connection between you and the team.

tbh it would only be a problem if wenger neglected british talent and opted for a 100% foreign approach. But to be fair, wenger has given domestic talent opportunities galore, look at the huge sums of money he spent on domestic youngsters in Jeffers, Wright, Walcott, Upson and Pennant and the chances he gave them. In most of these cases, wenger has been v. patient but hasnt been rewarded.

Wenger hasnt let domestic talent down, its the other way round. The domestic talent wenger is employing is letting him and arsenal down.

I never would thought british people felt this way.No disrepect,It`s good to be proud of your country.I love the EPL more then any other league.

Why is it England doesn`t win the Euros,World Cup....is foreign players the problem?

I`ll try not to bore you to much.In the US they had a World Basebol Tournament (american past time,sort of speak)and to alot of people dismay
USA lost to mexico (7-0)canada(5-0)Cuba(8-1)you get my drift.I dislike basebol it too long to watch.Anyway the league is full of Foreigners mostly from south america and the Caribbean.Nobody in the US complains in there mind what`s important is the game and not your green card

In defense of foreign players the game wont be the same w/o them

so no need to flame me all at once,I`m an american from miami

Fabregas is technically a home grown player and we do have three English players to come in. But its impossible for us to afford good English players Chelsea throw around so much cash. There's no doubt that, without Chelsea, Wright-Phillips would be an Arsenal player by now. But whats worse, not buying English players, or buying them when they are in form and peaking and dumping them on the bench for a season?

Glen Johnson £6,000,000
Kolo Toure £250,000

You can get 24 Kolo Toure's for 1 Glen Johnson!

Ok a daft analogy but you see what I mean? Arsene buys foreigh players becuase he feels he is getting better value for money. He also says that that young foreign players have a better mentality than the Brits. Take Pennant for example.

Clockender said:
Glen Johnson £6,000,000
Kolo Toure £250,000

You can get 24 Kolo Toure's for 1 Glen Johnson!

Ok a daft analogy but you see what I mean? Arsene buys foreigh players becuase he feels he is getting better value for money. He also says that that young foreign players have a better mentality than the Brits. Take Pennant for example.

yes true but there is a clear reason why he prefers to buy foreign players
the foreign players are defenitely better player than the Brits at the same age

It also comes down to the mentality of young Brits which in general is pissheads.

I can't imagine someone like Cesc wanting to spend 3 or 4 nights a week out getting pi$$ed as he prefers to concentrate on his football. That's where the likes of Dyer, Pennant, Cole, Defoe and Bowyer fall down.

yes totally agree about what you said ,now let's hope T.walcott won't follow the the same way

I think you'll find that Wenger is using his French connections, as when you look at French footy they're full of either French players or African players, same as Arsenal.

Not saying that Arsenal don't have some good African players, because they do, but it's due to Wenger that Arsenal have the players they do and not how the transfer market is.

I do personally like my team to have an identity with it's nationality, but that can't always be the case.

FD

ALAIN said:
yes totally agree about what you said ,now let's hope T.walcott won't follow the the same way

I hope so, he's supposed to have a really good upbringing and has never been into the limelight and fame so that should hold him in good stead.

We also aren't flying the British flag as there is a team that play in green and white hoops that don't want us to win it for personal reasons ;)

Fu*k the Britsh flag, fly the Arsenal flag.

This isn't the world cup, nationality shouldn't matter in club football. Why would you care where your players are from? The bottom line is you want the best players to play for your team. If they're English then great, but the reality (as has been pointed out by many already) is that in general young british players are:

A) more expensive.
B) less disciplined.
C) too few to make up more than a couple of squads of top quality, AAA talent.

Think about it, the England team is roughly split between Man Yoo and Chel$ki, with a smattering of others from Liverpool, Arsenal etc. That's simply not enough top quality players to support 4 club teams in the Champions League. So how do you fill the gaps? Foreign talent.

The only reason people are kicking off is the fact that one manager has managed to build a credible Premeirship side with almost no Englishmen. Boo Hoo I say. He's not the England manager, AW's responsibility is to Arsenal. If an English kid is good enough then by all means throw him a shirt, but to me the idea that 'there should be limits on these johnny foreigners' to me sounds like naivety at best, at worst, racism.

My two cents...

Nickybaker said:
We also aren't flying the British flag as there is a team that play in green and white hoops that don't want us to win it for personal reasons ;)

:eh: Yeovil? Sporting Lisbon? Shamrock Rovers? Celtic?

Sorry that one escapes me, what has a team in hoops got to do with it? Someone help me here.

FD

Joystick said:

This isn't the world cup, nationality shouldn't matter in club football. Why would you care where your players are from? The bottom line is you want the best players to play for your team. If they're English then great, but the reality (as has been pointed out by many already) is that in general young british players are:

A) more expensive.
B) less disciplined.

Think about it, the England team is roughly split between Man Yoo and Chel$ki, with a smattering of others from Liverpool, Arsenal etc. That's simply not enough top quality players to support 4 club teams in the Champions League. So how do you fill the gaps? Foreign talent.

The only reason people are kicking off is the fact that one manager has managed to build a credible Premeirship side with almost no Englishmen. Boo Hoo I say. He's not the England manager, AW's responsibility is to Arsenal. If an English kid is good enough then by all means throw him a shirt, but to me the idea that 'there should be limits on these johnny foreigners' to me sounds like naivety at best, at worst, racism.

My two cents...

:applause: Can't really add anything to this, nice work Joystick!

Joystick said:

A) more expensive.
B) less disciplined.

My two cents...
Try explaining that to someone like Antred. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom