Arthritic Gamers

wilier

League 2
12 November 2001
Just writing a thread because I realized the other day how my gaming skills are regressing with old age. I'm in my 30s, but with a wife and kid, and a hectic career, and so obviously do not have the time to invest so much in gaming.

Anyone else find that they are more tempted to play on easy mode, just so they can get through the whole game before their child graduates from university? I ended up playing PS3 Ninja Gaiden Sigma on Ninja Dog easy level, and still find it a reasonable challenge, get killed 20 times vs killing 4 people in Resistance:FOM, and the only games I can complete nowadays are the ICO / SOTC games which seem more forgiving and require an element of problem solving. Actually, many Nintendo games are pretty forgiving, still.

I also realise that Nintendo have not only cornered the Female/Middle Aged demographic, but also the "I have no time to play more than 30 minutes" niche too. I mean, I have had Metal Gear Portable Ops sitting on my PSP for ages, and the thought of trying to get a free 2 hours to immerse myself just seems too distant. I would prefer a pick up and play game that the DS Lite might provide, despite the lack of depth and gimmicky nature of some of the games.

Also miss group gaming sessions as my friends have also found less time to play games, what with marriage, careers, etc... Is this the onset of gaming slowdown?

I'm 34 and play on average 8-12 hours a day, although being pretty much retired helps :) My wife's also a gamer and we tend to spend an hour or two in the evenings and weekends player Tiger Woods 07 against each other on the 360, pretty enjoyable :)

I don't play on easy mode, if games aren't challenging then they're not fun for me :)

I'm 34 and play on average 8-12 hours a day, although being pretty much retired helps :) My wife's also a gamer and we tend to spend an hour or two in the evenings and weekends player Tiger Woods 07 against each other on the 360, pretty enjoyable :)

I don't play on easy mode, if games aren't challenging then they're not fun for me :)

8-12 hours a day, good god! mate perhaps you need a new hobby :), just wait till you get kids! that will be the end of that

wow... 8-12 hours a day!!! sounds like you spend more time gaming than I do at work!!!!

My 62-year-old retired dad plays Shot Online from 10am to 9pm most days. He'd play PES/FIFA every day as well, if I could cope with the 1950s football he loves to play (i.e. six up-front, two in the middle, two at the back).

Online golf game, Japanese so it's mixed with role-playing as well (i.e. you have to rest on a bench when you're tired :|).

My wife actually enjoys the Hot Shots games... I can't wait for the PS3 version :)

I'm only 26, no kids and get married next year, but I already find I struggle to make time for games. Recently if I'm honest, I've done quite well, often getting a little time of an evening or at the weekend, but I realise it's been at the expense of doing other stuff I should be doing...diy, going outdoors etc! Anyway, my 360 died on me the other day and although fed up that MS haven't built it properly (etc etc) it has made me get on with other things which is probably a plus point. It hasn't stopped me hoping I can sort out my games again soon and one day find the time to get somewhere in Oblivion rather than just have time for the odd pes match!

Back
Top Bottom