As a PES fan my whole life, i'm having a lot of trouble adapting to FIFA, what should i do?

MKC

Garra! Força! Tradição!
16 May 2019
Curitiba, Brazil
Coritiba F.C.
Hello Evo-Web! This is my first post on this website, i've always been a bit of a "lurker" but this is the first time i've made an account here.

Going straight to the point, i thought this was a good place to ask the question on this thread's title, because from what i can see, a lot of people here play both PES and FIFA, and a lot of people play offline aswell, and want their game to resemble a realistic simulator.

I've always been an offline only player and a PES only player (mostly because of money reasons, i could only buy 1 of them), i always picked PES because something about FIFA always felt "off" to me.

Well, recently i finally got a PS4, and for some random reason (and because it was a good offer) i got the PS4 FIFA 19 bundle, i thought "Why not change things up a bit?", well, i've had the game for a while now, and i'm still struggling to adapt after playing PES ever since i was a kid.

I don't want this to be a ridiculously long thread so i'll try to be as objective as possible about the problems i'm having with the game.

Also, i'm not posting this to bash FIFA, to vent or to sound whiny, it's because i really want to know what i should do to not have these problems with the game anymore, because i want to enjoy it.

The first huge thing i can't get the grips with is the way the players move when i'm in control of them, on and off the ball, i don't know if i'm doing something wrong but i've always had this problem with FIFA (which is one of the reasons i never bought it, and got PES instead), sometimes the players run as fast as sonic, sometimes if legitimately feels like they're walking on mud, they have no weight sometimes, and at other times they feel like snorlax, and i don't get why, also there are times where it feels like my players never quite learned how to walk or run properly (it's hard to describe what it is exactly, but if you played the game you might know what i mean).

My second problem is the shooting, just to clear things up, i don't use timed shooting, i just shoot normally because the concept of timed shooting always sounded arcady to me, also i heard a lot of thing about the mechanic being inconsistent but i don't know how true that is. Well, shooting to me just feels weird, sometimes i shoot and it feels like i passed to the opposition's goalkeeper, i put more strenth to it and the ball starts to fly away from the stadium, over the net, i can't tell what i'm doing wrong or if there are any tricks i don't know about, but shooting just feels unreliable, and i don't get excited over a good chance because i end up missing most.

My last major problem is defending, as a whole, i just can't defend, i don't know if it is because i'm used to PES, but tactical defending is something i can't get the hang with (i won't switch to legacy defending though, i want to learn tactical, as hard as it may be for me to do so).

The CPU (World Class, because i got the grips with professional even with my problems with the core gameplay) plays really fast, and direct, they play these ridiculously long, but fast and hard passes straight to the receiver's foot, who controls the ball easily, at times they ping pong the ball so fast i just feel like i can't do anything about it, i try to jockey, block the passing lanes, mark the box, but it's hopeless because there's one thing i can't get the grips with, tackle. If i'm one on one, i go toward them and press the circle button, 90% of the time they just run past me, i jockey and wait for the right opportunity, they just dribble past me, i try to chase them and hold circle/press circle repeatedly (i alternate between the two because i'm still not sure which one is the right way to do it) and it does nothing and they get past me, or they get a foul. I just can't tackle at all, or at least not enough to not lose.

Well, that's it, those are my issues, if anyone has any tips on what i should do, i would appreciate that a lot because i really want to learn how to play this game well, i really do.

Reactions: Tom
Helloo and welcome! I don't have anything of value to add, I just wanted to say sorry for letting your post rot in our queue a bit longer than usual. xoxo

Hello Evo-Web! This is my first post on this website, i've always been a bit of a "lurker" but this is the first time i've made an account here.

Going straight to the point, i thought this was a good place to ask the question on this thread's title, because from what i can see, a lot of people here play both PES and FIFA, and a lot of people play offline aswell, and want their game to resemble a realistic simulator.

I've always been an offline only player and a PES only player (mostly because of money reasons, i could only buy 1 of them), i always picked PES because something about FIFA always felt "off" to me.

Well, recently i finally got a PS4, and for some random reason (and because it was a good offer) i got the PS4 FIFA 19 bundle, i thought "Why not change things up a bit?", well, i've had the game for a while now, and i'm still struggling to adapt after playing PES ever since i was a kid.

I don't want this to be a ridiculously long thread so i'll try to be as objective as possible about the problems i'm having with the game.

Also, i'm not posting this to bash FIFA, to vent or to sound whiny, it's because i really want to know what i should do to not have these problems with the game anymore, because i want to enjoy it.

The first huge thing i can't get the grips with is the way the players move when i'm in control of them, on and off the ball, i don't know if i'm doing something wrong but i've always had this problem with FIFA (which is one of the reasons i never bought it, and got PES instead), sometimes the players run as fast as sonic, sometimes if legitimately feels like they're walking on mud, they have no weight sometimes, and at other times they feel like snorlax, and i don't get why, also there are times where it feels like my players never quite learned how to walk or run properly (it's hard to describe what it is exactly, but if you played the game you might know what i mean).

My second problem is the shooting, just to clear things up, i don't use timed shooting, i just shoot normally because the concept of timed shooting always sounded arcady to me, also i heard a lot of thing about the mechanic being inconsistent but i don't know how true that is. Well, shooting to me just feels weird, sometimes i shoot and it feels like i passed to the opposition's goalkeeper, i put more strenth to it and the ball starts to fly away from the stadium, over the net, i can't tell what i'm doing wrong or if there are any tricks i don't know about, but shooting just feels unreliable, and i don't get excited over a good chance because i end up missing most.

My last major problem is defending, as a whole, i just can't defend, i don't know if it is because i'm used to PES, but tactical defending is something i can't get the hang with (i won't switch to legacy defending though, i want to learn tactical, as hard as it may be for me to do so).

The CPU (World Class, because i got the grips with professional even with my problems with the core gameplay) plays really fast, and direct, they play these ridiculously long, but fast and hard passes straight to the receiver's foot, who controls the ball easily, at times they ping pong the ball so fast i just feel like i can't do anything about it, i try to jockey, block the passing lanes, mark the box, but it's hopeless because there's one thing i can't get the grips with, tackle. If i'm one on one, i go toward them and press the circle button, 90% of the time they just run past me, i jockey and wait for the right opportunity, they just dribble past me, i try to chase them and hold circle/press circle repeatedly (i alternate between the two because i'm still not sure which one is the right way to do it) and it does nothing and they get past me, or they get a foul. I just can't tackle at all, or at least not enough to not lose.

Well, that's it, those are my issues, if anyone has any tips on what i should do, i would appreciate that a lot because i really want to learn how to play this game well, i really do.
Switch back to PES?

Hey MKC! Welcome :APPLAUD:!

First of all I'd suggest you take your time setting up and configuring controls in a way you feel comfortable with. Not just which button you press to shoot, and which one you press to cross. I mean, explore every option FIFA has. For instance. Legacy Defending is a lot simpler for us, coming from PES. Tactical Defending is more rewarding but it's hard to get used to.

Sliders are a huge part of FIFA. So that too. Don't be afraid to try extreme values. You can check some well known sliders like the ones by Matt10 or Krebstar at the OperationSports forum (Google FIFA 19 Sliders Operation Sports), and then make your own adjustments.

Finally, my last piece of advice is that you go to training mode and you spend a lot of time getting really familiar with the controls. There are tons of possibilities. The are modifiers for just about anything, sometimes even more than two options. L1, L2, R1, R2 play a big role as well as the right stick and combinations.

You will get used to how players move, eventually. I hated it so much that I couldn't touch FIFA 18 and 19. But then after a month you get used to it.

Don't try to play FIFA like you played PES. FIFA has its own beauty when you get used to it. It also has a lot of room for improvements and things that will just frustrate you, let me tell you that right away.

Hey @MKC welcome to the forum.

I agree with what @Chuny said and would just like to add...

Try not to get too obsessive with the sliders by changing them every match or every half a match like i used to do. I normally play around 5 matches (or a calendar month in CM) before i decide to tweak them.

Also the camera settings are very important. I have it panned out on Tele Broadcast (I think) because it reminds me a bit of retro PES.

Persevere with the shooting because when it clicks it is very satisfying.

Hey MKC! Welcome :APPLAUD:!

First of all I'd suggest you take your time setting up and configuring controls in a way you feel comfortable with. Not just which button you press to shoot, and which one you press to cross. I mean, explore every option FIFA has. For instance. Legacy Defending is a lot simpler for us, coming from PES. Tactical Defending is more rewarding but it's hard to get used to.

Sliders are a huge part of FIFA. So that too. Don't be afraid to try extreme values. You can check some well known sliders like the ones by Matt10 or Krebstar at the OperationSports forum (Google FIFA 19 Sliders Operation Sports), and then make your own adjustments.

Finally, my last piece of advice is that you go to training mode and you spend a lot of time getting really familiar with the controls. There are tons of possibilities. The are modifiers for just about anything, sometimes even more than two options. L1, L2, R1, R2 play a big role as well as the right stick and combinations.

You will get used to how players move, eventually. I hated it so much that I couldn't touch FIFA 18 and 19. But then after a month you get used to it.

Don't try to play FIFA like you played PES. FIFA has its own beauty when you get used to it. It also has a lot of room for improvements and things that will just frustrate you, let me tell you that right away.

Thnx for the warm welcome :)

I guess configurations and sliders are a good option, but i always fear that if i start getting too much into them i'll start messing around with them more than i play the actual game, knowing how much of a perfectionist i am haha. Maybe all i need is a bit of discipline when it comes to that, i'll try these options out.

I didn't even bother with the traning when i got the game, got too excited with that "new game hype" and went straight to matches, i guess there really is no better place to learn than with a training mode, i have to be more patient.

Well, thnx a lot for the advice Chuny, hopefuly it helps me enjoy this game more :D

Switch back to PES?

If you have a couple of bucks to spare and don't mind giving them to me, i'll do it haha (jokes aside, that really is the reason i didn't buy PES imediately after getting frustrated with FIFA, i can't justify spending money on a footy game when i already have one, i know a lot of people buy and play both, but for me that's not an option unfortunately).

Hey @MKC welcome to the forum.

I agree with what @Chuny said and would just like to add...

Try not to get too obsessive with the sliders by changing them every match or every half a match like i used to do. I normally play around 5 matches (or a calendar month in CM) before i decide to tweak them.

Also the camera settings are very important. I have it panned out on Tele Broadcast (I think) because it reminds me a bit of retro PES.

Persevere with the shooting because when it clicks it is very satisfying.

Hello geeeeee, thnx for the welcome :)

Yeah, getting obsessive with the sliders is something i'll need to work hard at not doing, cuz i know that i'll want to.

Thankfully i already found a camera angle that i absolutely love, Tele (0 height and 0 zoom), i can see the whole pitch but it's not as far as Co-op, it's also not too high up or too low.

I'm starting to get the hang of the shooting, but it's still annoying when i miss easy goals and the World Class AI puts it in the most perfect angles out of nowhere. This game makes me feel like i need anger management classes at times.

Hello geeeeee, thnx for the welcome :)

Yeah, getting obsessive with the sliders is something i'll need to work hard at not doing, cuz i know that i'll want to.

Thankfully i already found a camera angle that i absolutely love, Tele (0 height and 0 zoom), i can see the whole pitch but it's not as far as Co-op, it's also not too high up or too low.

I'm starting to get the hang of the shooting, but it's still annoying when i miss easy goals and the World Class AI puts it in the most perfect angles out of nowhere. This game makes me feel like i need anger management classes at times.
Camera angle changes from stadium to stadium so you might need to adapt it again to your liking in some stadiums.

Camera angle changes from stadium to stadium so you might need to adapt it again to your liking in some stadiums.

Yup, had to learn that the hard way, but thnx for the heads up. Unfortunaly my "perfect" camera is "perfect" on some stadiums, but not in others, it's kind of a shame that it works like this. In some stadiums my "0 height" means nothing cuz the camera is still too high up anyway, wish EA would change that, but it's not a huge issue, just a nitpick.

Back
Top Bottom