Ask the Dutch about the Dutch

joostebrood

Premiership
4 March 2002
I've noticed many of you are very interested in football outside the EPL. So for that reason I've started this thread. You can ask me any question about Dutch football and I'll answer it for you. Fire away my friends! I'm your information guru.

Why do some of the smaller Dutch clubs not assign registered squad numbers for the season? Instead, they assign per match. These are the teams who don't have their player names on the back of their shirts. One match a player might be number 10, then the next match number 7 etc.

I'm not sure, it could be because the rules are different in Holland. We have quite the strange assocation in the KNVB. Another reason could be that shirtnumbers are assigned for a position, not for a player. I know van Gaal did that in the past with Ajax. In Holland it's quite common to say 'that player is best suited for the 7' or 'this guy really played a nice game on 10'. 10 ofcourse is the position of the attacking midfielder. 7 is the right wing position.

There you go, more questions?

Ive heard good things about PSV's Alex, and hes been linked with Milan, possibly a switch with Stam (I love this guy). Is Alex consistant and solid in defence?

Alex is a top defender Milanista. Last year in the CL he was amazing. This year he's also proving to be up there with the best. He'd be a great replacement for Stam. His build-up play could be better, but his defending is world class, his heading is fantastic. Great player, but there will be quite a lot of teams wanting to buy him. I wonder why he isn't in the Brazilian team yet.

I know this is going back a bit, but what actually happen to Robin Van Persie when he was beaten up by Ajax fans when at Feyenoord. Was he badly hurt? Also how is he perceived in Holland? Is he seen as regular international in the future? Or is he disliked?

Last edited:
Stringer Bell, leave the wisdom up to me ok? I can't have that Black Panther shit in this thread, this is strictly about football.

Clockender, van Persie got beaten up while playing with a youth team of Feijenoord. After troubles with his trainer van Marwijk, he was send back to a youth team. He had a few bruises, but nothing bad. It was the traditional useless hatred between Ajax and Feijenoord fans. The strange thing is, there was no police or security around, while Ajax should have known this could happen. Fortunately some of the Ajax players helped out the Feijenoord players (which also would have happened if it was the other way around).
In Holland the popularity of van Persie is growing. Especially the media have changed their opinion on him and he's definately seen as one of our future stars. I want to see him played as one of our strikers in a 4-4-2, together with RVN up front. With Robben and van der Vaart close behind them.

Is that a serious question? You probably heard already it was a false accusation. I actually had a pretty long chat with van Persie in a club in Rotterdam once, we were both drunk.

rockykabir said:
Hey Joost, good idea for a thread ;)

Jan Kromkamp...do you reckon he'll fit in well and perhaps maintain a first team place in Anfield? There's all this talk about him not being able to settle in Spain - why was this?

I already posted this in the Liverpool thread. It's probably on the last page still. I don't know why he couldn't settle, I didn't hear anything about this myself. He had problems learning the language I heard, but that goes for most people who play in a different country.

Metallica said:
Could you type in what will probably be the Holland starting line up for the World Cup please and formation

Cheers

Goal: van der Sar
RB: Lucius
LC: van Bronckhorst
CB: Boulahrouz
CB: Mathijsen
RM: Landzaat
LM: van der Vaart
CM: cocu
RM: Kuijt
CF: RVN
LW: Robben

Indeed good idea for a thread Joostebrood. It's a good place for people to come and expand their Eredivisie knowledge like myself ;)
rockykabir said:
Hey Joost, good idea for a thread ;)

Jan Kromkamp...do you reckon he'll fit in well and perhaps maintain a first team place in Anfield? There's all this talk about him not being able to settle in Spain - why was this?
He couldn't settle there mostly because of language but also he had some troubling dislodgin Javi Venta from the right back spot who is a veteran Spanish (key word here ;)) member of team.

He's a good player though. He's got good physique, descent speed, gets forward but defends well too so not really just an attacking full back in fact he's quite balanced and good at both.

And there is no reason why can't be a serious challenger for Steve Finnan's right back spot now and hopefully that should give Liverpool some depth as well as healthy competition so whoever is doing best in training can play the match.

Overall I like him and since it didn't look like he was gonna settle well in spain (mainly due to language), I think it's a great move for him but not so much for Villarreal who apparently did a straight swap for a very avg player in Josemi :lol:

He also like most other Dutchies can speak good enough English so that won't be a problem of fitting in like it was at Villarreal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Now a question for you Joostebrood, how is Ex- RKC Forward Iwan Redan gettin on in Eredivisie? He's at Willem II now isn't he? if so, how is he playing? how many goals has he got?

Also I'm quite interested in the ethnicity discussions and usually know or like to know the player's 2nd nationality (other race as well) and do know for van Bronkhorst and many other players like De Ridder has Israeli as well as Dutch background as you probably know but what is Denny Landzaat's other nationality? I heard it's a small island near Indonesia? but I can't remember name.

Anyways nice thread and see ya later.

Excellent idea Joost, this thread...is it World Cup fever §oranje mayoniase, worsten, condooms, tampons,...). I will be a Dutch fan in June, although without the orange parafernalia...
I really love Dutch football although i don't follow it anymore.
Two questions:

I really like Landzaat, what do you think about him???

And then a chauvinistic one, there are quite a few Belgian players in the Eeredivisie could you give me your personal top five???

At least he's honest. He didn't want to give bull$hit answer if he doesn't know. He is full of info but obviously can't know everything or be sure.

joostebrood said:
Stringer Bell, leave the wisdom up to me ok? I can't have that Black Panther shit in this thread, this is strictly about football.
:lol:

That was a random statement, i was doing a bit of research on Almelo and read about that...so i thought i just post it, BOY.

-

Have you ever been rushed by FC Utrecht fans, when going to their stadium? Do they fight dirty?

Last edited:
Stringer Bell said:

That was a random statement, i was doing a bit of research on Almelo and read about that...so i thought i just post it, BOY.

-

Have you ever been rushed by FC Utrecht fans, when going to their stadium? Do they fight dirty?
lol I hope he hasn't and I guess the fact that he's okay and talking to us today means he hasn't probably as they are the most HARDCORE fans ever lol.. dangerous place to be if you're supporting a visiting fan.

One more question I wanted to ask though Joosta,

Is the Feyenoord and Sparta Rotterdan rivalry anything really serious? or is it not that bad? I mean I know Sparta is usually in 2nd division and sometimes gets promoted to first but is their rivalry anything like Man City/Man Utd or Liverpool/Everton or is it less intense?

take care

PLF said:
Now a question for you Joostebrood, how is Ex- RKC Forward Iwan Redan gettin on in Eredivisie? He's at Willem II now isn't he? if so, how is he playing? how many goals has he got?

Also I'm quite interested in the ethnicity discussions and usually know or like to know the player's 2nd nationality (other race as well) and do know for van Bronkhorst and many other players like De Ridder has Israeli as well as Dutch background as you probably know but what is Denny Landzaat's other nationality? I heard it's a small island near Indonesia? but I can't remember name.

Anyways nice thread and see ya later.

Redan was actually suspended from the first team and sent back to the second team, because of disciplinary problems. It seems the guy just isn't good enough to perform throughout a season. He has his games, but he's too inconsistent. He hasn't scored a goal so far this season for Willem II.
I can't say where Landzaat is from, my guess would also be somewhere near Indonesia. Our old colonies have brought us great players throughout the year. Maybe Landzaat is from Ambon, I'm not sure though

Stan said:
Excellent idea Joost, this thread...is it World Cup fever §oranje mayoniase, worsten, condooms, tampons,...). I will be a Dutch fan in June, although without the orange parafernalia...
I really love Dutch football although i don't follow it anymore.
Two questions:

I really like Landzaat, what do you think about him???

And then a chauvinistic one, there are quite a few Belgian players in the Eeredivisie could you give me your personal top five???

I also like Landzaat, he's a passing player, very intelligent. Scores quite a lot for a DM. I do think he isn't suited to play man to man during top games like the one against Argentina at the WC. His defence isn't good enough and on top of that he isn't a real killer, like van Bommel and Davids.

My favorite Belgian players?
I think Huysegems is the one I like the most. Martens of RKC is also a very good player. Timmy Simons as well, very important, just not my type of player. RKC also has De Ceulaer (who is on loan from Feijenoord). He should be good in the future. My last pick would be Vermaelen, great defender, he's getting better at Ajax.
The worst of them all is Vreven, that's just a cunt.
The best of all time was Nilis, true artist

Stringer Bell said:

-

Utrecht fans are known for the English atmosphere in the stadium. They were "famous" for their hooligans, but the last few years you don't hear about hooliganism that much.

PLF said:
lol I hope he hasn't and I guess the fact that he's okay and talking to us today means he hasn't probably as they are the most HARDCORE fans ever lol.. dangerous place to be if you're supporting a visiting fan.

One more question I wanted to ask though Joosta,

Is the Feyenoord and Sparta Rotterdan rivalry anything really serious? or is it not that bad? I mean I know Sparta is usually in 2nd division and sometimes gets promoted to first but is their rivalry anything like Man City/Man Utd or Liverpool/Everton or is it less intense?

take care

Sparta actually only relegated a few years ago. That was the first time ever they relegated from the Eredivsie. Together with Ajax, Feijenoord and PSV they were the only one to have never relegated. Their coach then was Rijkaard. You all know where he's now...
The rivalry is still quite serious, but not in a hateful way I think. You don't hear about riots in those games. You can't compare it to the derbies you mentioned. There's only 2 games in Holland that fit that description:
Feijenoord - Ajax
NEC - Vitesse

nice thread joostebrood. erm my question is could you compare & contrast Rosenberg & Huntelaar as i dont no a lot about them but i seem to hear great things about these two.

Thanks for the answers Joot.
I actually heard a rumlour about De Ceulaer. Koeman considers him that good that he wants him back in Feyenoord.
And do you know that Feyenoord has loaned a Brazilian forward to Belgian club Westerlo: Jay Jay (as for Jackson) Coelho. He is astonishing good and Celta de Vigo allegedly wants to buy him. Koeman and some other Feyenoord guy came to watch Coelho in a few big matches but the Westerlo coach put him in the team as SMF...in the match against Anderlecht 15 minutes before the end of the game theFeyenoord delegation quit the stadium and the coach put Coelho as forward and hescored two goals...

Cool thanks for answers Jooste. I didn't know NEC vs. Vitesse is a derby nor did I know Sparta only relegated for first time few years ago.

Either way if its a rivalry but a healthy one then good for Feyenoord and Sparta :)

Back
Top Bottom