Bad news for italy

Angelo Peruzzi and Tommaso Rocchi agree that many elements have come together to cause the upswing in violent behaviour in Italian stadiums.

“I never thought, now that I’m near the end of my career, that I would witness such a tragic epilogue,” said the Lazio goalkeeper.

On Friday evening the FIGC ordered the immediate suspension of all football activities in Italy after a police officer was killed when Catania fans rioted outside the Stadio Massimino.

“We are all guilty, starting from the players who often with our attitude on the pitch or comments off it set a bad example of sporting behaviour.

“The media are to blame for trying to create a buzz around a game by increasing the tension and giving meetings a significance they do not have. The directors and clubs are at fault for tollerating and even fomenting all of this,” continued Peruzzi.

“The fans are guilty, those who fire up hatred and go to the stadium prepared for warfare. Those who allowed politics to enter the arena. We hope that the actions taken by FIGC Commissioner Luca Pancalli can lead us to definitive solutions.

“As for the players, we must give our own contribution to ensure football returns to being a wonderful game and a moment of joy, not a way to release pent-up stress created during the week.”

The decision to halt the Championship for at least a week – possibly more and potentially playing the rest of the season behind closed doors – found Lazio teammate Rocchi in agreement.

“The Catania riot forces the good side of football to pay the price, from the directors who put their heart and soul into this sport, to the players who try to transmit their passion, to the fans who wait every Sunday to experience something unique. It’s important now to follow England’s example in inflicting severe penalties on hooligans.”

Again from the Channel 4 football italia website

It’s reported that the meeting between the Government and football authorities will decree the rest of the season be played behind closed doors.

“Nothing is to be excluded at this point,” commented CONI (Italian Olympic Committee) President Gianni Petrucci.

Following the riots in Catania on Friday evening, which resulted in the death of 38-year-old Chief Inspector Filippo Raciti, FIGC Commissioner Luca Pancalli ordered the immediate suspension of all football activity in Italy until further notice.

so the season will get played behind cloased doors well in a way its good but in a way its also bad

so the season will get played behind cloased doors well in a way its good but in a way its also bad

I'm sure it won't happen. This would be a total failure. This isn't a way to solve the problem, it's a way to avoid it... our politicians and our lega calcio managers are lazy, but not stupid.

moreover, the crowd is an essential part in a football match. there's no way italians will accept this kind of solution (tough to call this a "solution" btw).

You must hate every league apart from the English because you have said bad things about the Scottish league and now the Italian and it wasn't even fans of the teams that started the thing.

No, I love watching La Liga & De Bundesliga. Proper stadia, well behaved fans (most of the time) and entertaining football. The World Cup win has blinded a lot of people when it comes to Italian football. It's full of cheating and murder and I hope it NEVER returns!

well we will need to know soon

i'm sure this week we'll see a lot of changes, mate. i just hope we'll go into the right direction.

btw 20 people jailed till now (all catanesi)....... 8 of them are less than 18 years old!

so now we can say that we were knocked out by a bunch of kids. it's so unreal.

Last edited:
well mate, that's the problem. what's the point in stopping football in italy? This has nothing to do with football. The guys who did this are 80 idiots (80 people who managed to ruin the image of a league followed by 240 millions people!) who weren't even catania supporters!
Those guys were outside the stadium. they didnt' want to see the match. they didn't want to support their team. they went there (i repeat, outside the stadium), with no tickets, with the only purpose of doing this mess. If u stop football, they will find another chance to do this...
the real victims (apart the family of that guy, of course) are us: italian football supporters. we are paying for those few idiots criminals.
:roll: of course its to do with football. and suspending the league is a just way to deal with this, given the severity of the outcome. its the same way people are dealt with as children. you might have a favoured possession confiscated or be excluded from watching tv. hopefully this will make the idiots involved in this behaviour realize what they're doing for the image of their country and its football.

i'd personally hope to see the suspension upheld through to the end of the season.

Last edited:
The autopsy revealed the policeman was killed by the stone the murder threw to him a couple of minutes before the explosion of the bomb. The lethal liver haemorrhage was not caused by the bomb that just intoxicated him. No one knows if the person who threw the stone was the same that launched the bomb.

Last edited:
Ok mate let me make myself more clear.

i'm 15 years old, i live in a hovel in the poorest district of catania, my mother is unemployed, my father spend 3 months per year in prison, i left school when i was 14, and a'm on my way to become a thief, a drug addicted (or even both). I dont' even know which players actually play for catania (neither palermo), but my friends (maybe 2 or 3 years older than me)know that a stadium is kind of a "no man's land" (as Kleimann correctly said) where i can do EVERYTHING without paying consequences coz the "mass" (the fact of being part of a mass) guarantees me anonymity. Fryday Palermo comes here to play a footbal match....... palermitani and policemans; the perfect situation to unleash my anger without being noticed (coz of the mass).

do u think this has anything to do with football? I don't care about football. i've never been inside a stadium. i just wanna have some "fun" with my "friends". U stop football in italy? who cares! I'll do the same things in other circumstances, maybe a politic manifestation (ever heard about black block?).

a couple of years ago in genova a guy was killed by the police during the manifestation against the G8 meeting. this guy was shot while he was trying to assault a police car with a fire extinguisher! Do u think that guy reallly did really care about politic? he was just unleashing his anger. he could have done this during the g8 or during a football match. he was just looking for a chance to do this.

So what a civil society should do? shall we stop every activity that could represent a chance for disorders? that's not a way to solve the problem.... that's a way to avoid it. that's not mature, not wise.

i love football i've always supported my team, since they played in serie c. I love to go to the stadium and enjoy a footbal match. and i don't wanna pay the consequence of the actions of a bunch of 16 years old morons.

what england did to solve their problem? did they banned football? What germany did? their situation were even tougher than ours, but thay managed to solve it.

stopping football in italy is just a way to say: "ok, we give up, u won! our society just can afford to face this 4 stupid little gangsters.

Last edited:
Thatlast post of lo zio is great...completely agree.
The pro-english league people are extremely biased and feel strong because they sense they are on their home turf...virtual world does acknowledge nationalities let alone chauvinists....

Once again this has nothing to do with football...it is "merely" a coïncidence that this happened in the margin of a football match.

Football however has to be cleaned up (and not alone in Italy, as a matter of fact things happening in England at clubs like Chelsea, Man Utd, Aston Villa, West Ham United and soon Liverpool are far more worrying).

Just to complete my previous consideration.

i'd personally hope to see the suspension upheld through to the end of the season.

ok, let's suppose that this suspension last till the end of the season. then what? what shall we do next season? just start the whole thing like nothing happened? Do u think those thugs will learn something? Just cause we stopped the whole thing for 1, 2, 3 years? do u think those guys will magically become polite, law respectful? can one year without football supply an entire life without education?
sure it would be nice.... but it isn't so simple.

let's suppose your city is full of criminals. what's the solution? just closing each bank?
a civil counrty got to face his problems, not hide them.

The pro-english league people are extremely biased

i'm starting to think that that's the problem when u live in an island...... no matter how big it is :lol:

btw i got a brand new anti-bias signature :D

things happening in England at clubs like Chelsea, Man Utd, Aston Villa, West Ham United and soon Liverpool are far more worrying

i still remember the hell that west ham supporters brought here in palermo, when they came last year fo a uefa cup match....

3 cars burned.....

2 pubs destroyed.....

......a couple of them being jailed by police.....
things like theese never happened in palermo before

.... and i prefere not to express myself about their disgusting shirt
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I am unsure about how this should be dealt with. I love watching Italian football and still believe its one of the best leagues in the world. I would like to see the shoe on the other foot though if this were an English problem. I remember many calls for England to be kicked out of International football a few years ago when we had a few dodgy moments and felt it would be a shame if we suffered because of some idiots. I really don't know what s best for Italian football and football in general. One thing for sure fans rioting with other fans and the police is not the way forward. Closed door games seems the obvious action IMO, look what happened to Inter in Europe after the flare incident against Milan a few years back. Roma also had the coin incident and if my memory is correct the either got a points deduction or a ban for the fans. Something along these lines are a minimum for this weekends problem. If another team within Italy does something similar then give them that ban also. I think a total ban would be OTT and counter productive but something has to be done.

If this problem continues then I am sorry to say some sort of more sever ban would have to come into effect. Its not lazy its containing potential problems in the future. What would be lazy, nothing being done about it. Letting it go on and another death but it shouldn't take a death to look more serious at such problems. I am to young too remember what happened through the 80's though I am aware. English clubs were taken out of European competition due to idiots. So since its not a European problem (though in reality it does effect the rest of Europe) its an Italian problem so the equivalent punishment is not that far fetched IMO.

I don't think all that bad of Italians its something that does get on my nerve when they are all perceived as Nazi's, animals and such like. I am aware that such people may exist in the population of the country the same way that they exist in England. I do think the minority are becoming less, hopefully this continues.

i still remember the hell that west ham supporters brought here in palermo, when they came last year fo a uefa cup match....

3 cars burned.....

2 pubs destroyed.....

......a couple of them being jailed by police.....
things like theese never happened in palermo before

.... and i prefer not to express myself about their disgusting shirt
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

well we know what happened to west ham losing

Closed door games seems the obvious action IMO,

i see your point mate. but if u consider that theese thugs weren't footbal fans, the whole things will appear too u quite different.

those guys were outside the stadium. what kind of fan wouldn't buy a ticket for the most important match of the year? (as i wrote before there's a big rivalry between palermo and catania).

hear what u can do if u got a bunch of 16 years old morons that follow your orders like u were god. i can have a talk to palermo's chairman and say to him..
"give me 5000 euros or next week i'll make so big disorders outside the stadium that your team will play for a couple of closed doors matches.
that's the choice for palermo's chairman: paying theese criminals, or loose the incomes of a couple of matches.

as u can see close door matches may appear the most fast ans obvious solution..... but maybe it isn't a solution.
if theese guys are not supporters they won't pay for their action as they don't care about football. the only one who will pay are palermo supporters (like me)
......... and palermo's chairman, of course.

look what happened to Inter in Europe after the flare incident against Milan a few years back. Roma also had the coin incident and if my memory is correct the either got a points deduction or a ban for the fans

are u sure they solved their problem? i'm not :(

Last edited:
Once again this has nothing to do with football...it is "merely" a coïncidence that this happened in the margin of a football match.

exact! :applause:
and that's the real problem. if it were just a football fans problem the solution would be much more easier (Cloud's solution would be perfect).

sorry for double posting :)

yes its bad news for all ppl not only italy
i think the sud of italy is so different than the north
but its realy bad that happens in the best league

i think the sud of italy is so different than the north

:?:

here in Palermo we never had any problem.

sure we're not all gentlemen. we got criminals, like everywhere in the world..... but we never had any disorder..... inside or ouside the stadium :)

I love watching Italian football and still believe its one of the best leagues in the world.

I would have agreed with this statement in between the years 1990-2000 but it has since become ugly, boring & cheating football. There is way too much scandal now and all of the good players have left for other European leagues. The crowd attendances are appalling and the quality of football is in rapid decline. The Old Lady was a disgrace to football worldwide last season and I wish they would rot in Serie B with their overrated, ageing old men of players. A lot of members in this thread are on about "Pro-English" comments. Wrong. When ANYONE says anything against Italian football you prove to be the most biased members on a forum I have ever seen. Who is the exciting talent in Serie A at the moment? When are the Italian football clubs going to stop racist nazi supporters carrying knives into their poor-attended matches? Why wasn't AC Milan & Juventus made BIGGER EXAMPLES of with the match fixing & scandal? The latest murder just adds to the problems that Italian football faces.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok mate your statements are really intersting and original, but u repeated the same things in 3 posts. i'm sure everybody understood your point of view, dont' u think?

Moreover u're quite off topic. We're not talking about Serie a's quality here. Maybe u can open a new thread: "serie a. how much it sucks?" :)

but please, stop posting here, coz each time u post, i read, thinking u're up to say something smart........ and i always get disappointed :(

otherwise i'll hit u with my "knife" :lol:

:?:

here in Palermo we never had any problem.

sure we're not all gentlemen. we got criminals, like everywhere in the world..... but we never had any disorder..... inside or ouside the stadium :)
dnt miss understand me i mean they are hard fans and little
Fanatics just like the fans in my original country libia
I remember once I was there in the stadium i Applauded for opponent team chance then i didnt remember anything except that
i had a black eye and the who was sitting near me who did hit me
:D

El Diego
u don't like watching Italian football its ur problem but there are millions like it
scandals every where ...but i love italian footbal for one reason
u cant know who is the champion until the last mins except this
crazy season ..

dnt miss understand me i mean they are hard fans and little
Fanatics just like the fans in my original country libia
I remember once I was there in the stadium i Applauded for opponent team chance then i didnt remember anything except that
i had a black eye and the who was sitting near me who did hit me
:D

well mate, i don't know about Libia, but i know about Palermo.
Last year di michele used to play for udinese. udinese came came here and smashed us 0 - 5. di michele scored 3 goals. when he went out of the field the crowd was applauding for him (still remember his astonished face :lol: )

i Applauded for opponent team
anyway if i may suggest , i wouldn't do it again, but not only in Libia..... everywhere. Applauding for opponent team near to a football fan is not so..... wise :mrgreen:

let's stay on topic, btw

i say have closed door matches its better than nothing or just have the next 5 or so matches (every team plays 5 - 10 closed door)

hear what u can do if u got a bunch of 16 years old morons that follow your orders like u were god. i can have a talk to palermo's chairman and say to him..
"give me 5000 euros or next week i'll make so big disorders outside the stadium that your team will play for a couple of closed doors matches.
that's the choice for palermo's chairman: paying theese criminals, or loose the incomes of a couple of matches.
(

:shock: :shock: Catania's chairman is on tv right now. he said that it happened exactly what i described before! :shock:
he's saying that in the last few years some criminals blackmailed him.

i say have closed door matches its better than nothing

so, as u can see, this isn't a solution, mate. btw the choice is not "closed doors or nothing" we got a few possibilities.

1 - dismantle ultras clubs

2 - stadia owned by clubs

3 - APPLYING THE PISANO ACT! (that's the better solution imo). last year we approved a good law..... BUT WE NEVER APPLIED IT (and i can see it every week). this sure would be more useful than closed door matches (if u close tha stadia, they will just find another place to go...... and let me repeat it one more time: the whole thing happened outside the stadium)

@ lo Zio: I get what you are saying about morons that are not true football fans, but my point is more about the general state in Italy. This situation mearley tipped the iceberg. Some of those people rioting were fans, what you would call true fans and I bet the majority were not this. Maybe the person who killed this policeman was a stupid 16 year old boy maybe he was a 30 year old lover of the club but this to me is irrelevant of the outcome. A man died in the name of football. If this game of football never went on this situation wouldn't not have happened. This is not about football fans this is about thugs, but the thugs use football to do their bidding. Therefore football is going to be the loser, they use the sport as their tool so the only way to fight them is to control or stop their tool. Please tell me a method that would fight these idiots? The only way is the harshest option, the problems in England were bad and we never shut down our leagues, I don't know if we played matches behind closed doors. But the real damage was done writhing European competition and through this English clubs were kicked out. This was they way to stop that problem and it may be the way to stop it in Italy. Again I want to stress this it not how I think it should be handled the now, the matches should be played in empty grounds. This is not for the whole Italy just the parties concerned. If any trouble happens in the future the club who's fans cause it should have this as a minimal instance punishment.

About Inter well maybe it hasn't stopped it so far but do you suggest the authorities should do, nothing? Just hope that it will go away without effecting the games.

PS About the argumtnt about this happening outside the stadium again this for me does not make much difference. There were problems inside the stadium during this match and during many matches in Italy.

Last edited:
@ lo Zio: they use the sport as their tool so the only way to fight them is to control or stop their tool.

perfect mate. your image (the tool) fits perfectly. they used a football match as a tool. but in an opened society there are a lot of "tools" so if u operate on that "tool" they will just find another one.

I get what you are saying about morons that are not true football fans

that's the point. i never talked about "true football fans" or "not true football fans". According to what i'm listening right now on the tv, these aren't football fans at all. let take the example i did before (wich is not anymore an example, as catania's chairman said that this is what really happened in the last years in catania)..

i can have a talk to palermo's chairman and say to him..

now let's imagine we're talking about rugby. i'm not a palermo's rugby team fan. i don't know anything about rugby, i just don't care about it. i never saw a rugby match and i won't ever do as i don't like it, u follow me?
now, i have a talk with palermo's rugby team and i blackmail him the way i wrote before. what if, after the disorders i caused (me and my "gang"), palermo's rugby team plays a couple of closed doors matches? Will this be a punishment for me? No, coz i just don't care about rugby. this will be a punishment for rugby supporters and for palermo's rugby team's chairman. i'm not a "true rugby fan".... i'm not even a "bad rugby fan".... i'm just a criminal, and i found a chance to make easy money. here it is.

Please tell me a method that would fight these idiots?

here's my reply: :)

3 - APPLYING THE PISANO ACT!

but do you suggest the authorities should do, nothing? Just hope that it will go away without effecting the games.

here it is again

3 - APPLYING THE PISANO ACT!

sorry for all this "self-quoting" :lol:

i'm not saying we don't have to do annything. i'm just saying that we have to find a better solution, as closed doors match won't solve anything.
12 years ago a genoa supporter died in a match against milan. u know what we did. league stopped for a week and a couple of closed doors matches........ and now, after 12 years, we're at the same point.
we already did a mistake 12 years ago, now we have another chance to really change something. i hope this time we'll be wiser

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom