Bad news for italy

Jake_Hazuki

League 2
23 December 2006
The Serie A and B Championships have been suspended after the death of a policeman in the Catania riots.

FIGC President Luca Pancalli made the announcement this evening. “We will immediately set up a permanent round table commission to discuss the situation between sport and politics. It’s not possible to carry on like this. If this is football, then I’m stopping everything.”

The Sicilian derby, eventually won 2-1 by Palermo this evening, had been interrupted after 57 minutes due to crowd trouble when tear gas floated on to the pitch.

While play resumed and the final whistle sanctioned the Rosanero’s victory, the problems intensified outside the Stadio Massimino.

A large group of Catania supporters engaged in a full-scale riot with the police and one officer, 38-year-old Filippo Raciti, was killed when struck in the face by a homemade bomb.

“Football in Italy must stop and take stock. Enough is enough,” continued Pancalli. “I cannot find the words to describe a 38-year-old man who lost his life in such a way. This is not sport.

“All the football authorities I spoke to immediately agreed that we had to stop everything. Words aren’t enough any more. Right now I am astonished by what has happened and this is completely unacceptable.”

It’s now reported that hundreds of people have been rushed to the local hospital with injuries, although none are thought to be life threatening.

This tragic incident comes just a week after Ermanno Licursi, director of Calabrian amateur side Sanmartinese, was killed in a fight with opposition players after the final whistle of a Serie D game against Cancellese.

The Amateur League was suspended and this latest shameful scenario has pushed the FIGC to take similar action with Serie A, B, C and the Youth Championships.

The incidents will no doubt harm Italy's bid to host the 2012 European Championships.

From the Channel 4 football italia website.

CATANIA, Sicily (AP): A police officer was killed when fans rioted at a Serie A match between local rivals Palermo and Catania, Italian news agencies reported .

The ANSA and Apcom news agencies said the officer died after an explosive device was thrown at him. No further details were immediately available.

The match was temporarily suspended in the 58th minute — with Palermo leading 1-0 — after tear gas filled Catania's Angelo Massimino stadium.

Police had released the gas following clashes with Palermo fans inside and outside the ground.

Palermo won the game 2-1.

Source :: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...an-Roundup.php

RIP. Just doing his job and this happens, very sad. Hope cctv nails the murderer who threw that bomb. Absolutely dispicable... dispicable. They are doing the right thing in cancelling the matches so people get it in their fucking thick skulls that rioting and violence has no place in football or anywhere else for that matter.

ansa96915790202222520_big.jpg

esterne022259550202230052_big.jpg

esterne022147070202215104_big.jpg

ansa96919080202231208_big.jpg

ansa96918390202231230_big.jpg

ansa96915770202222517_big.jpg

“Football in Italy must stop and take stock. Enough is enough,” continued Pancalli. “I cannot find the words to describe a 38-year-old man who lost his life in such a way. This is not sport.

what a shame. This is just what we deserve. As Pancalli said "enough is enough"

may this guy rest in peace

and may serie a rest in peace too

farewell, Filippo.

if football has become this, it's not worth spending time in it anymore. Pancalli's right: enough is enough.

How sad. R.I.P to a police officer who was just doing his duty. If Italian football still has these problems, I'm not surprised they are threatening to shut it down. Disgusting behavior.

im sorrry for the policeman and his family ....but italian football wont be missed , its not even shown in england any more it was so bad......still sorry for the policeman

but italian football wont be missed

well mate, actually that's not true. i would miss serie a. 240 millions people would miss serie a (the number of people all over the world who actually follow serie a league).

...its not even shown in england any more...

the whole world doesn't ends in england...... there's something else on the other side of "la manica".

be no leagues left if shit like this carrys one

well mate, that's the problem. what's the point in stopping football in italy? This has nothing to do with football. The guys who did this are 80 idiots (80 people who managed to ruin the image of a league followed by 240 millions people!) who weren't even catania supporters!
Those guys were outside the stadium. they didnt' want to see the match. they didn't want to support their team. they went there (i repeat, outside the stadium), with no tickets, with the only purpose of doing this mess. If u stop football, they will find another chance to do this...
the real victims (apart the family of that guy, of course) are us: italian football supporters. we are paying for those few idiots criminals.

The English superiority complex is visible in this thread...i would think that football fans from the nation that "invented" hooliganism should express themselves a litle bit more carefull.

The Italian FA has taken a wise decision, but in the end football will continue..."Italain football" is not responsable for the behaviour of some fools...

I consider Palermo my favourite Italian team, but if it's true that Palermo's second goal (after the match was interupted for the first time)was scored with the handby Di Michele, then one must ask if Di Michele isn't responsable too???

There is a cheating culture in football (not only in Italian, everywhere, so i don't want to single out Italian football) which should be ablished. It's not only on the pitch (diving,...) but also in the board rooms. If one reads how (for example) Abramovich became a multi-billionnaire by fraudulent means it's rather a shame that the English FA did not prohibit his take-over of Chelsea (same goes for Glazier, less criminal but fraudulent at least).
Football is in dire need of an ethical code, otherwise the bubble will burst (and to the English people wit a superiority complex: IMHO the Premiership although fascinating, is the biggest bubble of them all).

All right Platini, show what that you have some guts now..but we all know better don't we.

Just read David Conn's "The beautiful game" and you all know what i mean...

Well Stan. Yesterday Palermo scored 2 goals. Both of them were unvalids.
The first goal, scored from Caracciolo at the end of a great action, was in offside.

the second goal was unvalid coz di michele hit the ball with the arm. and this is undebeatable. The ref decided the goal was valid because the hand touch of di michele was absolutely involuntary (and that's undebeatable too). di michele was triyng to jump to avoid an opponent's tackle. of course u can't jump without moving your arms..... that's phisically impossible. so the ball hitted his arm and falled down on his feet, allowing him to score. the whole action was so fast that is impossible to think that it was voluntary. di michele has no fault for sure.
But still the goal was unvalid in my opinion coz', no matter if he didn't want to hit the ball with the arm, still it happened....... and it was decisive for the goal.

talking about the match (wich is quite useless now) i guess a parity (dunno if that's the english right word) would have been more fair.... but who cares now.

but if it's true that Palermo's second goal (after the match was interupted for the first time)was scored with the handby Di Michele, then one must ask if Di Michele isn't responsable too???

that's not true Stan. The match was interrupted not because of di michele' goal.... it happened later.

that's the story.
Palermo supporters arrived at catania yesterday evening when the match was already started. for the whole first time there was no Palermo supporters in catania. This because the drivers of the busses (is this the plural of bus?) whisch were carrying Palermo supporters to catania had some troubles in finding their way to catania....... (they were scared by catania supporters ambushes).

they arrived in catania during the half time pause. when they arrived outside the stadium, there were almost 100 idiots (they weren't even catania supporters, that's for sure)who were waiting for them to start a riot. At this point catania's police tried to keep these catanese idiots away from Palermitani's bus. POlice used tear gas. Then the wind bringed this gas inside tha stadium. The players and the ref couldn't see anything anymore and so decided to stop the match.
that's all. as u can see everything happened outside the stadium. In the second half, Palermitani found their way to the stadium (thanks to catania police they were safe). And those poor idiots catanese criminals unleashed their fury against the police, who didn't let them fight against palermitani.

There is a big rivalry between palermo and catania, and this has nothing to do with football. for some reason, i never understood, palermitani and catanesi hate each others. Not everybody, of course, just the worst part of palermo and catania citizens (idiots, criminals and ignorants).
those guys didn't care of the football matches. they just wanted to "beat some palermintans ass"...... and when the police didn't allowed this, they unleashed their fury against theese poor guys, who were just absolving their duty.
the most grotesque thing in all this story is that, in the end catania' people killed a catanese agent :(

Last edited:
yes, that's true.

it's the same things that happens often between Atalanta and Brescia supporters. the worst part of bergamaschi and the worst part of bresciani hate each other the same way that catanesi and palermitani do.

I agree it's something that has nothing to do with football. Riots happen during football matches, just because a football match is supposed by these idiots to be "no man's land", pass me the term.

Yesterday, those catanesi didn't give a f*ck about football, they were there just to fight.

I agree with stopping football matches until a solution isn't found, but be sure that if they couldn't fight at football matches anymore, they would find another way to show they're idiots..

Italian football: Crazy fans, cheating clubs, poor referees and now MURDER. I rest my case.

Italian football: Crazy fans, cheating clubs, poor referees and now MURDER. I rest my case.

You must hate every league apart from the English because you have said bad things about the Scottish league and now the Italian and it wasn't even fans of the teams that started the thing.

You must hate every league apart from the English because you have said bad things about the Scottish league and now the Italian and it wasn't even fans of the teams that started the thing.

choose wisely your interlocutors, Jake. Certain statements doesn't deserve an answer ;)

Last edited:
choose wisely your interlocutors, Jake. Certain statements doesn't deserve an answer ;)

I agree, we all know El Diego...no use discussing with him

Lo zio, if what you write is true about Di Michele's goal (and why wouldn't you be right, you are one of the most fair people i know on this forum), then i was wrong...Di Michele, Palermo and even football are not to blame for what happened...
What happened is simplistic tribalism by a bunch of morons...
A shame for the police man and his family though...

When does everyone think football will be back? Because a big match was going to take place this weekend with Roma and Inter.

The English superiority complex is visible in this thread...i would think that football fans from the nation that "invented" hooliganism should express themselves a litle bit more carefull.

The Italian FA has taken a wise decision, but in the end football will continue..."Italain football" is not responsable for the behaviour of some fools...

I consider Palermo my favourite Italian team, but if it's true that Palermo's second goal (after the match was interupted for the first time)was scored with the handby Di Michele, then one must ask if Di Michele isn't responsable too???

There is a cheating culture in football (not only in Italian, everywhere, so i don't want to single out Italian football) which should be ablished. It's not only on the pitch (diving,...) but also in the board rooms. If one reads how (for example) Abramovich became a multi-billionnaire by fraudulent means it's rather a shame that the English FA did not prohibit his take-over of Chelsea (same goes for Glazier, less criminal but fraudulent at least).
Football is in dire need of an ethical code, otherwise the bubble will burst (and to the English people wit a superiority complex: IMHO the Premiership although fascinating, is the biggest bubble of them all).

All right Platini, show what that you have some guts now..but we all know better don't we.

Just read David Conn's "The beautiful game" and you all know what i mean...

I 'd certaintly agree hooliganism is not a problem which soley lies in Italy. In england you likely to see fights with Millwall fans and coins being thrown at players in some games. There were 40 odd arrests after the Wolves-West Brom match last week. However you could argue that this is part of a wider problem in British society. Nonetheless, England is now a leading light and does set an example in regard to hooliganism and racism in football and our approach to it.

In england you do not get people letting flares off and attacking players (Dida) and Linesmens. People dropping scooters from a tier high. You do not get fans setting fires to train carriages and throwing homemade bombs killing poilice officers. Neither do you have "Ultras" being allowed to talk to influence a game (Roma/Lazio match in 04 when a kid supposedly got killed - later found out that nobody got hurt).

What we do have in the uk is punch ups and the odd mobile phone/human excretion being thrown from the odd Liverpool fan, but usually here if you go looking for trouble at the match then you will find trouble. Those who stay well clear of any trouble will not get hurt. Comparing English crowd trouble to Italian crowd trouble is like comparing a stick fight to a gunfight. Fans lose their lives regularily in Italy, here it's extremely rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, we all know El Diego...no use discussing with him

Lo zio, if what you write is true about Di Michele's goal (and why wouldn't you be right, you are one of the most fair people i know on this forum), then i was wrong...Di Michele, Palermo and even football are not to blame for what happened...
What happened is simplistic tribalism by a bunch of morons...
A shame for the police man and his family though...

thanks mate for your kind words (actually i can say the same about u).
Catanese pubblic attorney just confirmed in a pubblic conference that ther was not palermitani responsabilities in what happened last night, but actually i can't find any relief in his words...... because i know that what happened in catania could happen everywhere, even in palermo. Catania's image (and italy's image) yesterday was ruined by a bunch of morons..... but morons are everywhere, even here in palermo.
the real problem is that we all allowed theese morons to do this. a couple of idiots yesterday opened a wound in italy's image that probably won't be healed so early...... and Italy (as state, as government, as police forces) wasn't able to avoid this tragedy......... and this is UNACCEPTABLE for a civil country.

When does everyone think football will be back? Because a big match was going to take place this weekend with Roma and Inter.

I don't know mate. actually i don't care anymore. :(

Last edited:
I 'd certaintly agree hooliganism is not a problem which soley lies in Italy. In england you likely to see fights with Millwall fans and coins being thrown at players in some games. There were 40 odd arrests after the Wolves-West Brom match last week. However you could argue that this is part of a wider problem in British society. Nonetheless, England is now a leading light and does set an example in regard to hooliganism and racism in football and our approach to it.

In england you do not get people letting flares off and attacking players (Dida) and Linesmens. People dropping scooters from a tier high. You do not get fans setting fires to train carriages and throwing homemade bombs killing poilice officers. Neither do you have "Ultras" being allowed to talk to influence a game (Roma/Lazio match in 04 when a kid supposedly got killed - later found out that nobody got hurt).

What we do have in the uk is punch ups and the odd mobile phone/human excretion being thrown from the odd Liverpool fan, but usually here if you go looking for trouble at the match then you will find trouble. Those who stay well clear of any trouble will not get hurt. Comparing English crowd trouble to Italian crowd trouble is like comparing a stick fight to a gunfight. Fans lose their lives regularily in Italy, here it's extremely rare.

Mate i agree with almost eveything u wrote. The english approach to holiganism must be an example for us.

btw there's something that i'd like to underline. italian fans doesn't lose their lives regularly.....absolutely.
even here if u stay well clear of any trouble u won't get hurt.
italian government toke some special mesures last year about hooliganism (some of them worked, some didn't).
actually in the last 2 years the number of supporters wounded decreased a lot........ but something really strange happened: the number of policeman wounded increased (for some misterious reason some supporters in italy look at the policemans as they were enemies........ DISGUSTING))

the real difference between italy and england right now is that england created the conditions to disallow english hooligans to do damage (at least big damage). Italy didn't and here in italy we should really focus on this.

P.S. i'm sure i made a lot of grammatical mistakes in this thread. this forum is becoming a hard test for my english, but is very useful too, and i feel my english in really improving thanks to u too. so excuse me if sometimes my posts aren't so "easy" to read :)

Last edited:
Argies are just as crazy, but if you stop futbol there it will be a civil war. If the outcome changes due to suspension Italy will be a top figure in futbol setting a new standards

:applause:

It annoys me when people still relate hooliganism with English football to be honest. No doubt we used to have a big reputation. But this isn't warranted anymore compared to the troubles that other countries have with the problem. I totally agree with what Alucard is saying here. The fact is that hooligans across the channel are of a much higher severity to the yobs still causing trouble over here. The initiatives in English football are an example to other leagues. The sooner federations like Italy get up to speed the better.

:applause:

It annoys me when people still relate hooliganism with English football to be honest

There's no need to be "annoyed", mate. I think everybody here will agree with what alucard wrote.

what Stan meant to say, if i understood him well (and i think i did, as he was absolutely clear) is that english people knows really well this problem (coz years ago it was your problem), and according to the fact that english people were used to this kind of tragedy, they should be more careful expriming themselves....... avoiding statements like this:

be no leagues left if shit like this carrys one

coz if this kind of statements were correct, today english premier league woudn't exist anymore.

Fortunately Margaret Tatcher was wiser than Drunkenmonkey. She understood that the solution wasn't to ban football in england, and she took some measures that brought good results. Now my hope is that italian government will follow this path.

Last edited:
That's exactly what i wanted to day lo zio...thanks for clearing that up for me...

Back
Top Bottom