Ballon d'Or

Re: Ballon d'Or France Football 2009

Ballon d'Or was usually more accurate IMO in decided the best player in the world, barring the bizarre ocassion it was awarded to Michael Owen in 2001. :TTTH:

But it will still be biased towards whoever does well in the Champions League and World Cup, which is just stupid. Cannavaro in 2006 and Ronaldo in 2002 comes to mind. So the likes of Messi and Ronaldo will end up behind the likes of Sneijder, Robben, maybe even Maicon, if post World Cup awards continue to be as dislogical as they have in the past.

Why the hell should Messi or Ronaldo get this award this year? Robben and Sneijder both were amazing for their teams. And both their club and national teams came further in the Champions League AND the World Cup.
For me it would be a joke if neither of those two would be ahead of at least Ronaldo.

These awards are pointless, although I had some kinda of respect for Ballon d'Or, now I don't even need to complete this sentence do I?

this competition is bad..there should be prize for each position...why never keeper will win, or more defenders? it should be best striker, defender, midfielder and keeper... othervise it is always only strikers winning..

this season it should be Wesley Sneijder who wins it. Depends if he win also world cup trophy..

Andres Iniesta
Xavi Hernandez

will win ballon d'or 2010

is justice

Why the hell should Messi or Ronaldo get this award this year? Robben and Sneijder both were amazing for their teams. And both their club and national teams came further in the Champions League AND the World Cup.
For me it would be a joke if neither of those two would be ahead of at least Ronaldo.

Did you not see Messi play football this year?

Nobodies been that good for a long time.

I still think it'll go to Sneijder or Iniesta.

Depends what the award "represents"

Best player in the World = Messi

Player of the Year = Sneijder

Sneijder or Iniesta winning it would be reminiscent of Zidane in '98, wasn't very prolific but showed up at the right times.

If it's be won by the usual criteria, I'd rather see Xavi win it.

Then ballon is not anymore for best player in the year, but best player at all. It's a shame. Would Rivaldo have won in 1999 with that ? woul have Cannavaro in 2006 ? No for sure.
Blatter killed every thing that was not in his possession about football, and that's a real shame. Blatter, when will you stop make your dictator and understand you are bad.

I Feel strainge becouse Messi is clearly best but Xavi should win it this year.. without Xavi there would not be Spain succes...

and other thing, many say that Messi won becouse he is best as player...that is true, but why then Cannavaro won it in 2006 before Gerrard, Henry...? i mean Cannavaro won it only becouse of world cup succes.. why did Xavi not won it becouse of winning world cup and being the fundamental part of first 11...

also Villa, best world striker should be on that list..

strainge but congrats to Messi, he is the best and shurely not his last BalondOr..

In my point of view who should have won the Ballon D'Or is a dutch trequartista who plays for Inter Milan. Incomprehensibly he has not even nominated for this year's prize, a year he led is team into a very successful campaign in all competitions he has played.

Curiously or not, his coach has won the prize in his category, a very deserved win I must say.

I Feel strainge becouse Messi is clearly best but Xavi should win it this year.. without Xavi there would not be Spain succes...

and other thing, many say that Messi won becouse he is best as player...that is true, but why then Cannavaro won it in 2006 before Gerrard, Henry...? i mean Cannavaro won it only becouse of world cup succes.. why did Xavi not won it becouse of winning world cup and being the fundamental part of first 11...

also Villa, best world striker should be on that list..

strainge but congrats to Messi, he is the best and shurely not his last BalondOr..
After all it's a voting system so you can't always explain the results rationally.

Messi is so great he should be hors concours next year.

These awards are a fucking joke. Messi is the world's best by a substantial margain (not to Iniesta and Xavi but to everyone else) But the shortlist etc.. Seriously who gives a fuck anymore!

The best player in the world wins, i don' see what is illogic about that.
Yes Sneijder had a fantastic year, but Messi is the best player in the world, without asingle doubt.
To be honest for once i'm quite happy with the result. I always had the feeling that the WC is enormously overrated...at best it's about 7 games. I always estimated Cannavaro as an top defender, but would anyone call him the best football player of the world when he won the trophy of football player of the world?

Anyway, it's stupid to have individual awards in a team sport, Messi's win is also the win of Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Puyol,...

Sneijder would have won if the voting system never changed with only journalists voting.

But since almost 600 people voted this time and Messi won, I think he deserves it. 21 days of competition can't change the fact that he was amazing all year.

I agree with the overall feeling, Messi is the best player and was absolutely enormous during all year, except for 3 or 4 matches in which he had no team nor coach around, though he tried. How can 4 matches be more important than 70?

I said it had been unfair for Iniesta to win. My podium should have included Snejder, but he was NOT the best player at all in the whole year, even if his team was very succesful. To me Xavi did a lot more for football and was the only competitor to Messi. But that's my oppinion and understand the people who wanted another guy to win it.

Now, what I don't understand is why no one complains about the prize to best goalkeeper to Casillas instead of Julio Cesar. Casillas had a very unconsistent season at Madrid, playing really bad during some months. He also had some confusing errors in the first 3 matches of the world cup. So actually he played blatantly well in the last 3 matches of the season. On the other hand, Julio Cesar was, to me, as important as Snejder or Milito in Inter success.

If you watch again the round against Barcelona, he saved 4 goals, balls that were in and he saved them as he was Spiderman. He was key also in the final, stopping great shots by Robben. He had 60 incredible matches in the season and in the world cup had only one bad night. And that justifies Casillas over him?

Last edited:
Casillas is certainly the best goalkeeper in the World but Júlio César had a much better year. Agree with drekkard in this one, as I also think Fábio Coentrão should has been nominated into the 'Team Of The Year'. Why did they put Puyol, a DC, instead of him, a truly LB? It is nonsense.

Sneijder would have won if the voting system never changed with only journalists voting.

But since almost 600 people voted this time and Messi won, I think he deserves it. 21 days of competition can't change the fact that he was amazing all year.

Yes, i listen that on RMC yesterday

With old France Football vote :

1 - Sneijder
2 - Iniesta
3 - Xavi
4 - Messi

Poor Spanish Iniesta and Xavi are almost same prototype of players, same country and same club, that divides the votes.

Last edited:
It's obviously an adidas-pepsi-kenntucki- etc award ..
they don't want to deprive messi from his Mediatic leadership of football stars ..
If this award had gone to Xavi, then it's a quasi-KO to Messi's image on world football followers eyes ..

Many BIG companies wants messi to remain the star of the football ..
so, they're obliged to give him this JOKING AWARD ..

any way, as a football follower , I don't care to these awards, I judge players with my own mind ..
and definitely messi isn't the player of the year, neither the best ..

What a load of nonsense.
The good thing about Messi is that he is no "star", he is very low profile off the pitch, i haven't the faintest clue who is girl friend is and which car he drives for example...
I also tended to think that FIFA preferred high profile players for commercial reasons...well although you can't underestimate his commercial value...Messi definitely is not the player with the most commercial value in the football world (otherwise David Beckham would have won the Ballon D'Or at least 5 times).

I also think that 95% of the people following football (to be honest, everybody except the Real Madrid fans,) will agree with the jury that Messi is clearly and by a very large margin, the world's best player...and maybe even the best player since Maradonna.

It's obviously an adidas-pepsi-kenntucki- etc award ..
they don't want to deprive messi from his Mediatic leadership of football stars ..
If this award had gone to Xavi, then it's a quasi-KO to Messi's image on world football followers eyes ..

Many BIG companies wants messi to remain the star of the football ..
so, they're obliged to give him this JOKING AWARD ..

any way, as a football follower , I don't care to these awards, I judge players with my own mind ..
and definitely messi isn't the player of the year, neither the best ..

When did ignorance become a point of view?

What a load of nonsense.
The good thing about Messi is that he is no "star", he is very low profile off the pitch, i haven't the faintest clue who is girl friend is and which car he drives for example...
I also tended to think that FIFA preferred high profile players for commercial reasons...well although you can't underestimate his commercial value...Messi definitely is not the player with the most commercial value in the football world (otherwise David Beckham would have won the Ballon D'Or at least 5 times).

I also think that 95% of the people following football (to be honest, everybody except the Real Madrid fans,) will agree with the jury that Messi is clearly and by a very large margin, the world's best player...and maybe even the best player since Maradonna.

he may even be better than Maradona but still he's below CR or Ibra's level.

btw, about the award, it's all about nothing but populism.

Last edited:
It's not really FIFA who decide. They released all their votes as part of their new 'transparency' initiative. The votes came from national team captains, coaches and journalists. Messi was the most popular.

However, if the awards was using the old system of voting, this would've been the final result: Sneijder 293, Iniesta 291 (3. Xavi 229; 4. Messi 175)

he may even be better than Maradona but still he's below CR or Ibra's level.

btw, about the award, it's all about nothing but populism.

Jesus, you have decided to do the clown on every possible thread? Ibra below Messi? You and the actual Ibra may be the only ones who tink so. Congrats.

Jesus, you have decided to do the clown on every possible thread? Ibra below Messi? You and the actual Ibra may be the only ones who tink so. Congrats.

I had to read his post like ten times to really grasp what he typed.
Ibrahimovic better than Messi and Maradona ... that wins FIFA Worst Joke Of The Year by a large margin. Congrats!

guys, why do you acting as if Ibra or CR is nothing compared to Messi? I just can't understand this. We're talking about the best player, right? Then, individuality is the matter. I won't make a statement like "Messi isn't as half good as Ibra" or "Messi can't even compete with CR" as you most of the time did (the other way around). (This is sheer fascism and so disrespectful the others). While Messi's shining with his Ballon d'or nominee teammates mostly, Ibra or Ronaldo's doing it mostly alone. Individually, Messi is a great player, too of course. (don't worry he's not out of my top 10) I see that he's still getting better and better in all aspects each day. Please don't keep saying "but ronaldo is arrogant, diver, he disappears in big matches etc etc". We all see that Messi wasn't as effective as he used to be, against Mourinho's Inter last year. Messi doesn't encounter that serious defences as much as CR did. (Also at that times Barça have another keys to open the lock) The reason is that even the opponent players from Malaga to Barça have a serious ambition against Ronaldo. Ronaldo's teammates, too are top class players, I know it, but still they're not on Barça aces' level. Ronaldo and Ibra proved themselves in different teams while Messi haven't done yet and most probably won't. Ibrahimovic is another story, indeed, I won't talk about his abilities of course, the most important thing in his business, he's a real winner. He has the leader attitude like Ronaldo. It's something Messi doesn't have, which is really really a key factor on the individuality issue. All in all, Ibra and Ronaldo are a step above Messi.

Last edited:
guys, why do you acting as if Ibra or CR is nothing compared to Messi? I just can't understand this. We're talking about the best player, right? Then, individuality is the matter. I won't make a statement like "Messi isn't as half good as Ibra" or "Messi can't even compete with CR" as you most of the time did (the other way around). (This is sheer fascism and so disrespectful the others). While Messi's shining with his Ballon d'or nominee teammates mostly, Ibra or Ronaldo's doing it mostly alone.

Stopped reading there, another person who seems to judge players only on their goal count and ignores when Ronaldo says fuck you to his teammates half the time and goes on a ridiculous shooting sprees with shots from 30 yards. This happens all the time if he hasn't scored a goal already. Its said since the overwhelming majority of his goals are tap ins, free headers and straight forward goals class players with the same amount of ability if not more as him such as Ozil and Alonso set up for him!

I'll keep this short, and just make one point: If Crisitano was a good or even on Messi level, he won't dive, at all! The reason why he dives is because he unlike Messi hasn't got the confidence and ability to take it past 3-4 players and score!

YouTube - Messi never dive (new!)

Why dive when you have the ability to walk round players at will?

as for Ibrahimovic, The defining moment for his has to be that match against Zaragoza away from home! Messi felt sort for him so gave him a penalty he won, and a game he won single handedly! That match away to Zaragoza was one of the most breathtaking performances in a long time for a player!

Those two prima donnas aren't on Messi level and unlikely will ever be! I judge players on their overall game, not on their goal count!

The best player in the world wins, i don' see what is illogic about that.

I agree Messi is clearly the bet but i feel Snjieder deserved some strong recognition for a simply amazing year, thats all :) Same with Villa, Clearly the worlds best striker, where was he?

And yes i agree, when will a keeper ever win this award or a defender? Casillas? Juilo Caesar, Lucio anyone? Football is a team game!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom