Battlefield 2142 - PC

FlawlessCowboy

Stunted
5 July 2004
Coventry, UK
There is currently a closed Beta going on for this game (it'll be open in a couple of weeks) and I downloaded it and played it today.

Its just fantastic - much like playing Battlefield 2 felt like you were in a full scale modern war at times, playing 2142 feels like your in Aliens or Starship Troopers. The technology and effects are spot on.

One of the coolest things for me were Pods. Theres a couple of ground vehicles (and air vehicles) that allow you to right click the mouse and blast up into the air in a pod, which then you can direct to an extent, until it comes crashing back down to the ground, allowing you to burst out unharmed and carry on. Its a great way of launching an attack on a control post or to just make some ground accross the map.

Anyone else played it yet? I cannot wait for the full version!

Last edited:
Re: Battlefield 2142

I sure would like to try the demo. How is the game improved on graphics compared to BF2? how has the gameplay improved?

The graphics haven't really improved at all compared to BF2, some people may be disappointed in that respect. The gameplay is quite different, theres a new mode called Titan. Here's a description of it from IGN:

In a nutshell, the Titan game mode pits the EU and PAC against one another in a region being choked ice. The objective for both sides is to secure and control strategic points on the map. Think of it as a game of chess. The Titan is the 'King' which must be destroyed at all costs. By gaining key points on the map, you allow your APCs to get closer to the Titan. In the meantime, ICBMs from missile silos attempt to take down the Titan's shields (known as Active Defense). Conventional weapons will do little to affect the shields. Once the shields are down and all points towards the Titan are secured, your side must then move in the APCs. The APCs park near the vicinity of the Titan, and fire individual launch pods. Inside each pod is a player from you team. They are actually launched up and onto the Titan's landing pad! From there, it switches over to intense close-quarter combat. The defenders must make a last-ditch attempt to stop the attackers from destroying the Titan. The attackers must take out four control panels located inside its corridors. Once done, they must take out the Central Core by means of C4…and…RUN! If the attackers can jump off the Titan and parachute down before it explodes, each individual will receive additional points (which works toward a higher rank and more weapon unlocks).

Now back to me. The unlocks look like they'll play a big part in things. For each class you can take two different routes of unlocks, each ending in a different weapon. I assume both paths have their advantages and disadvantages.

The vehicles are quite varied too. For example, theres a hover tank that has a massive turret, which can't actually turn, just move up and down. So you actually have to turn the entire tank to aim the turrent which makes for harder shots, but its much more powerful than a normal tank if you get a direct hit.

Then you have the Mechs, which are tough as hell to kill, but require two people to pilot them effectively.

I'll try and post some screenshots in a bit!

Last edited:

Screenshots:

The air transport:

Captain Flawl3ss:

Assault on the village:

The view from inside the cockpit:

The APC (Pods can fire from this):

Inside a pod, heading towards earth:

Missle silo (the things you have to capture):

The Titan:

Mech:

Full scale assault:

Titans at war:

Nice screenshots. Graphics look pretty much the same as bf2 does so that´s good, my pc can run it i think. then again is this just bf2 with different weapons tanks ect...

Got this a few days ago - loving it, the Metal Gear machines are fabulous! Not quite into the counter-measures and all the new buttons, no idea what I'm doing half the time, but I love it. :)

Shame that people don't seem to be willing to work together though, I'll have to join a clan at some point. How do you find the decent ones? Any recomendations?

"EA Using FPS Spyware"

From Megagames:

EA were the first to begin selling cheats and now they are the first to have created the most elaborate and expensive spyware tool since Windows 98. According to a Shacknews forum post, Battlefield 2142 includes an extra sheet of paper informing users that the game is being used to monitor their online and computer habits.

When you open the box, a big slip of paper falls out first, preceding any discs or manuals. The slip of paper says, essentially, that 2142 includes monitoring software which runs while your computer is online, and records "anonymous" information like your IP address, surfing habits (probably via cookie scans), and other "computing habits" in order to report this information back to ad companies and ad servers, which generates in-game ads.

In effect EA is using what you do on your PC in order to better target you with ads. It is also obvious that the information they gather about you and your online habits will also be used in any way they see fit. It is certain that the EULA you have to agree to while installing the game clears EA of any legal problems but as the Shacknews post points out the fact that they felt compelled to include an additional sheet informing people of what they are doing, suggests that they are aware of how far they are stretching gamer tolerance.

We really hope they have included an option to turn the online reporting off so that gamers have the option to avoid being spied on.

I just loooooooove EA.....

I was a bit nervous when that piece of paper fell out of the box, but from what I can tell it only records information about which adverts it displays in-game etc.

Or at least I hope so.

Jack Bauer said:
I was a bit nervous when that piece of paper fell out of the box, but from what I can tell it only records information about which adverts it displays in-game etc.

Or at least I hope so.

It records everything you do so that it knows what to advertise to you. Big Brother is watching...

It's hard to point them all out, APX. Watching missiles fly out of silos into the opponent's ship is one of the most satisfying experiences ever, and once the shield is down you can invade the ship and destroy the core to win the game quicker, which is incredible - 20 people trying to defend the ship and 20 people trying to get past them, all at once, it's manic! :D

Got a bit of a problem though... I've just noticed that unless I choose an official server I get an error message, but all the error message says is "ERROR". Helpful. :|

There are weakspots for walkers:
riesig
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9356/riesig2zn6.jpg
bogatyr
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/299/bogatyr2np3.jpg

1 bullet 1 point damage
1 missile walker starts to burn

APC weakspots:
EU
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3584/euapcgv0.jpg
PAC
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/7683/pacapcwk2qa1.jpg

AT missile damages

Walker:
AT Missile ´upperbody': 18pts damage
AT Missile legs: 35pts damage
AT Missile 'lowerbody': 55pts damage

APC:
AT missile front armor: 33pts damage
AT missile side-,top- or rear armor: 45pts damage
AT missile to front tires: 45pts damage
AT missile "weak" spots (look pictures above): 58pts damage

Tank:
AT missile front armor: 25pts damage
AT missile fronttracks: 37pts damage
AT missile side armor: 50pts damage
AT missile rear armor: Game over

Walker rocket damage values

1 rocket against tank: 16pts damage
1 rocket against APC: 20pts damage

Tank cannon damage values

Shot to Walkers 'upperbody': 20pts damage
Shot to Walkers legs: 30pts damage
Shot to Walkers back 'lowerbody': 50pts damage
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The AT rifle has it's advantages. It actually reloads faster than the rockets, it doesn't set off the vehicles warning system, the exhaust trail is significantly less, and it does more damage to the weaker rear armor (which is where you should be hitting them anyways).

This is much more of a "stealth AT gun.

test with the AV rifle here are the results compared to the standard rocket, surprisingly the rifle was worse in some aspects i always thought it was supposed to do more damgage -.-

Engineer vs Walker:
AT missle to the upper torso does 18 damage. rifle - 16
AT missle to anywhere on the legs is 35 damage. rifle - 37
AT missle to the rear lower torso (butt) does 55 damage. rifle - 62
AT missle to the underbelly "Skywalker Vent" sets the walker on fire in one shot. rifle also instant kill
1 Bullet = 1 Damage to these vents also.

Engineer vs APC:
AT missle to the front does 33 damage.rifle - 25
AT missle to the sides/rear/top all do 45 damage. rifle - 54
You can hit the wheels from the front and get the 45 damage also. rifle - 54
AT missle to the rear lower hull (see pics) does 58 damage. rifle - 66

Engineer vs Tank:
AT missle to the front armor does 25 damage. rifle - 20
AT missle to the front tracks does 37 damage. rifle - 50
AT missle to the side does 50 damage. rifle - 47
AT missle to the rear is an instant kill. rifle also instant kill

so as we can see the rifle is worse against front armor but better against most others.

Last edited:
I also get that ERROR message Jack, weird. But I only usually play on official servers anyway. I'll be playing tonight if you fancy a game? Have I got you on Xfire? My tag is Flawl3ssCowb0y, as is my name in the game if you wanna add me to your buddy list.

I used to use Xfire but I only had one person on it so I stopped using it after a few weeks. :D

I'll add you to my buddy list tonight; please don't expect me to be any good though, I am utter, utter CRAP at this game.

Haha thats okay mate, its all about the teamwork. If you work well in a team, it doesn't matter if your good or bad. Sometimes its just about providing ammo or health to the good shooters, and letting them do the rest.

Anywho, I'm going on now for a bit so feel free to join me!

As usual i have read BF forums, watched gameplay videos and played the demo im pretty sure i have to get this game :)

One question about class unlocks:

I know there are 2 "paths" http://www.totalbf2142.com/page.php?do=unlocks for each class and i have understood that you can cross choose in those 2 unlock paths? but can you give different class the other class unlock, for example give recon RDX demopac to engineer and so on?

Last edited:
I've got no idea what all this paths stuff is about, but I have a semi-related question...

It tells you on the loading screen how you're progressing to your next rank, e.g. 79/81. Well for the last few days I've been on 160/81... Which kind of renders the idea pointless. :|

Anybody else experiencing this?

APX said:
As usual i have read BF forums, watched gameplay videos and played the demo im pretty sure i have to get this game :)

One question about class unlocks:

I know there are 2 "paths" http://www.totalbf2142.com/page.php?do=unlocks for each class and i have understood that you can cross choose in those 2 unlock paths? but can you give different class the other class unlock, for example give recon RDX demopac to engineer and so on?

Nope, you can't do this. Theres certain unlocks that are usuable with any class, but if you unlock something for a certain class, you can only use it with that class.

Jack Bauer said:
It tells you on the loading screen how you're progressing to your next rank, e.g. 79/81. Well for the last few days I've been on 160/81... Which kind of renders the idea pointless. :l

Anybody else experiencing this?

So your saying it says you've got 160 points, when your next level up only requires 80? If so, thats weird. Its probably an EA Unlock server problem, I went on yesterday and my rank had been reset and I had no unlocks. I just logged out and back on and it was back to normal.

Try posting your problem on the official forums mate, I'm sure your not alone!

Greetings Battlefield Soldiers,

Over the course of last week some players have experienced issues with stats & awards, punk buster, and master server disconnects. We wanted to update everyone on the current status for each of these points as we move into the weekend.

Stats & Awards: Last weekend we made updates that resolved the issues causing some awards or stats to not be properly awarded to players. We will be continuing to monitor player experience and the stat servers in order to make the proper adjustments to maintain the system. Unfortunately any stats or awards not received before this update can not be replaced.

PunkBuster: Those players who have experienced issues with the punk buster auto update should visit the punk buster site and follow their directions for manual updates. We are currently working with punk buster to resolve player issues and allow for a smoother experience and to eliminate the server kick issues that are still affecting some players.

EA Master Server Disconnects: We have added additional enhancements to our server infrastructure to eliminate the majority of the disconnection problems. We will be putting forth every effort through the weekend to completely eliminate this issue for all our players.

We will continue to update everyone on our status until these issues are resolved and no longer standing in the way of your enjoyment of Battlefield 2142. Have a great weekend and we will see you on the Battlefield.

Your Dice Live Team

Source: EA Forums

Good tips & tricks:
http://www.totalbf2142.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

My unlocks so far:

Assault: AED-6 Defibrillator.
Engineer: IL-14 EMP. *DysTek Repair V2.0:
Support: V5 EMP Grenade. NetBat Active Camo ID. A-12 Enforcer Sentry Gun. Ganz H-MG
+FRG-1 Grenade

Last edited:
Anybody still playing this? I've never been in a clan for any game before, but I'm really tempted with this one. On your own it seems to be a waste of time.

Back
Top Bottom