Ben Thatcher's Horror Tackle

i didnt know that football turned into boxing, yellow card for that challenge ? first they need to ban that ref for being gay

Alucard said:
People like to over exaggerate when United do things. Thatchers challange could have killed the player. Mendes was fortunate that Thatcher's elbow only hit his jaw. if Pedro was a few inches shorter and the elbow would have went into the side of his head, he could have ended up a mindless vegatable or dead. Keane's challange was never in danger of causing life threatening damage to Haaland, it was just one of those challanges that says 'theres your payback for what you done you cunt'

In a civilized society there are other means to get a "pay back"...in a civilized society if you want "pay back" you go to court and not this 21th century version of lynching...Keane may have been a fantastic player but he certainly is a scumbag.

airjoca said:
You WISH you had half a Petit in your squad...

In the meaning of efficiency sure: I wish I had an ugly DMF who could get away with the sort of things he does and thus reach a high level of efficiency. Custódio for example is a joke.

Nevertheless the portugal - germany game at the WC was the living proof of how ridiculous Petit is if he is not allowed to play dirty. If one checks the 2 long distance goals of germany both were conceded by poor coverage from Petit, who was totally unable to cover the needed zone to avoid such shots because... he doesn't know how to play classy as a DMF. All he really knows is to play dirty, and in the WC he can't.

Alucard said:
People like to over exaggerate when United do things. Thatchers challange could have killed the player. Mendes was fortunate that Thatcher's elbow only hit his jaw. if Pedro was a few inches shorter and the elbow would have went into the side of his head, he could have ended up a mindless vegatable or dead. Keane's challange was never in danger of causing life threatening damage to Haaland, it was just one of those challanges that says 'theres your payback for what you done you cunt'

again I ask, what did haaland do to keane that required payback, nothing, keane injured himself trying to trip haaland. it was keane's own fault.

Hmmm, not too sure about this, if you look at it from French TV's overhead angle the tackle doesn't look that bad. Fair sporting challenge shoulder to shoulder for a 50/50 ball I say. Now Zidanes headbutt, that was shocking.

marukomu said:
Bradley darling, you really are a toss pot.

If that challenge is typical of United, wouldn't that mean that it happened on a regular basis? Every week?
And before you start citing other examples of stamps (Ruud), etc, remember that Arsenal are not so clean. Dirty Vieira and Bergkamp's elbow on Bowyer, Most red cards in prem, etc

tbh I don't really think that about utd, you have had some dirty players, as have we. But to try and justify that tackle seems stupid. Alucard usually talks a lot of poo and it pisses me off sometimes. Thatchers tackle was worse but Keane's was also disgraceful.

I don't think we or Arsenal are a dirty team, but as we're the big fish (or were) everything gets highlighted and played over and over so there is always more punishment. For example, Brown's tackle on Giggs has been forgotten, but Rooney's nothing challenge against porto was talked about for weeks.

This is something that happens every day. I think Germany, Portugal and France are worse when it comes to tackles. This seems like a duel. The guy should have seen it coming. It's not even a yellow to be honest. I agree with Dermot, what Zidane did was worse. That was terrible, it shocked the whole world of football.

Dermot said:
Hmmm, not too sure about this, if you look at it from French TV's overhead angle the tackle doesn't look that bad. Fair sporting challenge shoulder to shoulder for a 50/50 ball I say. Now Zidanes headbutt, that was shocking.

no idea what the hell you're seeing. it wasn't shoulder to shoulder, it was elbow to head.

It was definately a very nasty challenge. I just hope that the FA get it sorted out quickly and that the punishment fits the crime.

Regarding the Keane incident, it's pretty irrelevant. It happened years ago and was sorted out years ago. My personal viewpoint on it is that Keane shouldn't have done what he did and there was no justification. The tackle was horrendous. You get people saying stuff on the field of play all the time which is much worse than what Haaland allegedally said to Keane in 1997.

At the end of the day, these guys love to play football. So take that luxury away from them.

Good. Now does that still mean the FA will hand out a lenthy ban on top of City's one? Still cant believe FA havnt done anyting as of it. If it wasnt for Man City, thatcher would still be playing without punishment.

I don't know why people are being so harsh on Thatcher, have you not ever seriously injured someone then regretted it? I'm sure he didn't mean it. If I was Mendes, as soon as I was able to get off the drip and get out of the hospital I'd go right up to Thatcher and turn the other cheek.

Alucard said:
People like to over exaggerate when United do things. Thatchers challange could have killed the player.

Not like you then! I totally agree it was a terrible terrible challange but to say he could of killed him.....:roll: I seriously think there has benn a bit of a which hunt for his head with people saying he should be band for life. Although that wouldnt be a bad thing if it means him getting off our books.;)

Dermot said:
dude are you blind? he poke out his elbow just before contact.

Dermot said:
I don't know why people are being so harsh on Thatcher, have you not ever seriously injured someone then regretted it? I'm sure he didn't mean it. If I was Mendes, as soon as I was able to get off the drip and get out of the hospital I'd go right up to Thatcher and turn the other cheek.

In football players get injured it happens, sometimes a player can get annoyed and lash out at a player. Usually resulting in a very cynical challenge that can sometimes injure a player. This is part of football, it happens now and again.

What thatcher done was something totally different. He ran about 20-30 yards, with no intent for the ball, not even to try and make a dodgy tackle, he just wanted to shove his elbow in Mendes's jaw. This is not what anyone who really likes football wants to see. I think Thatcher never meant for the situation to get like it did. But to say he didn't mean to run nearly 30 yards and try and smash in another players face is far from the truth.

Mack said:
Not like you then! I totally agree it was a terrible terrible challange but to say he could of killed him.....:roll: I seriously think there has benn a bit of a which hunt for his head with people saying he should be band for life. Although that wouldnt be a bad thing if it means him getting off our books.;)

Did you not see the pace and speed both players were running at? If thatcter elbow had hit Mendes's temple, the share impact could easily resulted with brain damage and mendes not recovering which means death and thats no exageration. He had already suffered a seizure and that was only from getting hit on his jaw a. No one wants to see intentional violence like that. No one is calling for life ban. Just a good long ban to teach the scumbag a lesson and send out the correct message to all those young potential yobs aspiring to be footballers that you can't get away with assaulting people on the pitch or anywhere else for that matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Alcurd, he really could have turned Mendes in to a vegetable or even killed him if he hit him in the soft spot of his head. Thatcher has a history of doing nasty things, I just hope this time he learns.

Cloud1863 said:
What thatcher done was something totally different. He ran about 20-30 yards, with no intent for the ball, not even to try and make a dodgy tackle, he just wanted to shove his elbow in Mendes's jaw. This is not what anyone who really likes football wants to see. I think Thatcher never meant for the situation to get like it did. But to say he didn't mean to run nearly 30 yards and try and smash in another players face is far from the truth.

Come on now, Mendes should have known what was coming, if Thatcher was running towards something not worth running for then why the hell was mendes running? What was his intent? Was he running towards the fans to tell them how much he loved them? It's like the cheetah and the gazelle. Who was the gazelle in that situation? Nobody. they were both going for a useless ball, just because thatcher started his run from the midfield at a speed much higher than that of Mendes doesn't mean they had different intentions. I think Mendes brought this upon himself and Thatcher has ended up the victim. Just because mendes was out cold on the ground, did anybody think of Thatcher? Was Thatchers elbow okay? I didn't see any medical teams running out to do a check up on him. The yellow card was harsh enough for this very unfortunate mistake. We need to focus back on Zidanes headbutt, how quickly we forget when he's out of the limelight, now he is one player should never be allowed step on a field and play again just like the vicious horror tackle of Roy Keane on Haaland.

Dermot said:
Come on now, Mendes should have known what was coming, if Thatcher was running towards something not worth running for then why the hell was mendes running? What was his intent? Was he running towards the fans to tell them how much he loved them? It's like the cheetah and the gazelle. Who was the gazelle in that situation? Nobody. they were both going for a useless ball, just because thatcher started his run from the midfield at a speed much higher than that of Mendes doesn't mean they had different intentions. I think Mendes brought this upon himself and Thatcher has ended up the victim. Just because mendes was out cold on the ground, did anybody think of Thatcher? Was Thatchers elbow okay? I didn't see any medical teams running out to do a check up on him. The yellow card was harsh enough for this very unfortunate mistake. We need to focus back on Zidanes headbutt, how quickly we forget when he's out of the limelight, now he is one player should never be allowed step on a field and play again just like the vicious horror tackle of Roy Keane on Haaland.

Is your whole post sarcastic or just most of it?

I think when a thing like this happens, there's always two sides guilty. You can't just blame one guy when there's also another involved. Let me put it like this: You drive through a red light, a guy driving through green lights hits you full force, you break every bone in your body, but afterwards you hear the other guy was drunk. There you go. Who's guilty? Hard to tell right? That's exactly the same here.

Thats a very retarded analogy to suggest Mendes had brought any of this on himself. Mendes had every right to chase after the ball, even if it was a lost cause. Plus that is what fans like to see, as it shows commitment and desire. You can never anticipate that a player will come out of nowhere and act like a scumbag and stick out his forearm intentionally to hurt a fellow professional.

I cant believe how narrow minded some of these comments have became. A victim is that, they did not bring it on as they never asked for it. Saying that maybe its like a sexy girl with a short skirt, who likes to show a lot of skin. When after a night out she is a victim, yea she is clearly asking for it. :roll: :roll:

What the hell did Mendes do, can someone at the very least back up such pointless statements with a half decent answer???

Is it that hard? Both of these players decided to become a pro player. It comes with the territory, agree? Mendes makes a million a year, he'll survive. Besides that, Thatcher didn't seem to do it on purpose at all. So please people, make a judgment based on knowledge, rather than on emotions. None of you ever played yourself right?

Joos do you know Thatchers history? This is not about the emotions of fooball, this is about a guy with a really nasty side that when he does somthing bad its always seriously bad.

It is not the first time Thatcher has been guilty of reckless play. He was sent off for two bookings against Shanghai Shenhua during City’s summer tour to China, but it was an elbow that resulted in one of the Shanghai players suffering a collapsed lung during the same match that lingers in the memory.

And he received a two-match ban for elbowing Nicky Summerbee while playing for Wimbledon against Sunderland in January 2000. Worse still, the attack on Mendes was not his first of the game. He also raised arms at Sean Davis, Kanu and Benjani Mwaruwari, which escaped the attention of Gallagher.

The guy deserves everything that is coming in his direction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom