Ben Thatcher's Horror Tackle

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
I've heard all about it at work all week but I've not actually seen it, is there a video anywhere? They're all condemning him as "more violent than Vinnie Jones and Roy Keane combined" but I can't imagine what they're describing. I've Googled and BBC Sported, but can't find an actual replay of the incident anywhere.

What a dirty bastard!!!!!!!!!:shock: :shock:
hope this cunt will be banned for for the rest of the season and more

Ive seen it, and guy must have some loose scrwes in his head, what the hell was that for?

Hope he gets at least a 10 game or so Ban, they should really show this is totally unacceptable.

Big Boss said:
Ive seen it, and guy must have some loose scrwes in his head, what the hell was that for?

Hope he gets at least a 10 game or so Ban, they should really show this is totally unacceptable.

The FA are only considering six game ban :( It makes me sick everytime I watch it because Mendes didnt do anything to warrant what Thatcher did. Its neither the first time thatcher has elbowed a player. At least with the Keane-Haaland incident, there was history between the players. Haaland almost ended keanes career when he was playing for leeds, so keane made it his mission to get revenge as soon as he returned to meet him, and boy was that sweet!

Man, thats not good, only 6 games....

I think what Keane did was just as wrong though, planning to injure someone as badly as possible, very bad example and unprofessional.

Big Boss said:
Man, thats not good, only 6 games....

I think what Keane did was just as wrong though, planning to injure someone as badly as possible, very bad example and unprofessional.

Thats cause Keane is worthless piece of shit, on the same level as Thatcher if not worse.

I've seen worse tackles given a red, and no police involvment.

Alot of the tv news showed the tackle in slow motion, which didn't make it look as bad. You've gotta see it in realtime. That could of killed him.

I don't think he meant to seriously injure him on purpose. I think Keane planning before a game to end someones career was awful. He didnt get any prosecution, even after the biography, unless I'm mistaken.

he got a 6 game ban and a fine if I remember.

Keane's challenge was not disimilar to Brown on Giggs last week except Giggs was on the floor. He'll only get a ban if he writes that he meant it in his biography.
Maybe Brown and Thatcher should be asked if they meant to injure and if they say yes, ban them both for 6 games. If they say no, ban them for 10 games for being fucking liars as well.

The FA need shooting. You can have cards rescinded. Why not rescind the yellow cards and then throw the book at them.

Last edited:
Alucard said:
The FA are only considering six game ban :( It makes me sick everytime I watch it because Mendes didnt do anything to warrant what Thatcher did. Its neither the first time thatcher has elbowed a player. At least with the Keane-Haaland incident, there was history between the players. Haaland almost ended keanes career when he was playing for leeds, so keane made it his mission to get revenge as soon as he returned to meet him, and boy was that sweet!

what a dickhead, you're saying keane purposely trying to harm another player was "sweet"? If anything it being premeditated makes it worse, Thatchers was stupid and no one knows what he was thinking, I'd be surprised if he even knew. Keane knew exactly what he was doing, typical utd scum.

bradley1886 said:
what a dickhead, you're saying keane purposely trying to harm another player was "sweet"? If anything it being premeditated makes it worse, Thatchers was stupid and no one knows what he was thinking, I'd be surprised if he even knew. Keane knew exactly what he was doing, typical utd scum.

*sigh* You seem to be an annoying runt that cant talk without childish insults spilling out of your mouth. You need to grow up my friend. You seem to have this grudge against me and Utd.
Anyhow regarding the keane incident, I think what he done was necessary. If I'd been in keane shoes I would have done the same. Its not like Haaland is an innocent angel. The man tried to end keane's career. Imagine your at work, for example your doing roofing work and one day your operating on top of the roof. You got this co-worker who sees you as a threat to his position because your good and the boss only needs a few people so he is bound to get rid of some of his workers who he feels is not needed. So one day your collegue makes the decision himself to decide who is neede by the boss and pushes you off the roof and plans to make the excuse that you accidently slipped. Your there on the floor in danger of being paralysed and you fear that you have suffered permanent spinal damage, in which case you'll never be able to walk again. Also this co-worker is standing above taunting you saying 'thats what you get'. Now I don't know about you but If I made a full recovery from that fall and saw that person again I would have to get my revenge in some fashion. Thats similar to keane's situation and he felt he needed to get Haaland back and he did.

6 games is horse shit, he should be banned until the winter break. There's no place for that in football. Well, maybe Australian Rules Football.

this murderer should never play soccer again.

It's not only the tackle, it's the way he reacts to it, look how that bastard sees Mendes on the ground and seems to even ofend him, as if Mendes was playacting or something.

Ben Thatcher should be an example, the example english soccer should have set ages ago.

In england guys like thatcher become stars, like Vinnie Jones.

Alucard, I think you'll find that roy keane hurt himself trying to foul haaland when leeds played man u, he tried to scythe him down from behind and caught his foot in the turf.

How is Keane MUCH worse than Thatcher? Try watching both challenges again. Thatcher could have killed Mendes or maybe broken his neck. And he meant it, the same as Keane. What difference does it make when he decided to do it? Keane's challenge was bad and could have broken Haaland's leg, but all you Utd haters sensationalize it and change it to could have ended his career. It was a similar challenge to Brown on Giggs, but that seems to have been forgotten now.

bradley1886 said:
Keane knew exactly what he was doing, typical utd scum.

Bradley darling, you really are a toss pot.

If that challenge is typical of United, wouldn't that mean that it happened on a regular basis? Every week?
And before you start citing other examples of stamps (Ruud), etc, remember that Arsenal are not so clean. Dirty Vieira and Bergkamp's elbow on Bowyer, Most red cards in prem, etc

Last edited:
Portuguese players usually over react to challenges.

If that was Ronaldo or Carvalho, would they have pretended to be dead?:lol:

mikemcenroe said:
Alucard, I think you'll find that roy keane hurt himself trying to foul haaland when leeds played man u, he tried to scythe him down from behind and caught his foot in the turf.

Just look at this, its despicable what Haaland did, I don't know what you saw. But Roy keane was running with Halaand then Haaland tripped him up and I really dont want to imagine what he said to keane while he was down. It was similar to Ben thatchers reaction to mendes, Haaland sees roy keane is in pain yet he taunts him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIAqD4dzkLM

yes watch that video again and see how keane tries to take out haaland and injures himself, haaland didnt injure keane, he's having a go at keane because keane tried to trip haaland

I agree, Keane was much, much worse....and at the time i was a Man Utd fan...he should have been banned (maybe not forever but long enough...).

Keane's horror tackle was premeditated, that makes all the difference...
I heard Thatcher's manager yesterday, he was much more fair about it than Ferguson...

Alucard said:
Just look at this, its despicable what Haaland did, I don't know what you saw. But Roy keane was running with Halaand then Haaland tripped him up and I really dont want to imagine what he said to keane while he was down. It was similar to Ben thatchers reaction to mendes, Haaland sees roy keane is in pain yet he taunts him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIAqD4dzkLM

I don't know what you're looking at. That doesn't compare to Keane's tackle. It looked more like Keane hurt himself

One thing is in the heat of the game, another is planning to injure, hell this is not the word, beat the crap out of the guy.
I make Milanista's words mine:
Milanista said:
No matter how good Keane was, it was disgraceful. Should have been banned forever.
well maybe not forever ;)
And he used to hit players alot.

Revan said:
One thing is in the heat of the game, another is planning to injure, hell this is not the word, beat the crap out of the guy.
I make Milanista's words mine:
well maybe not forever ;)
And he used to hit players alot.

We have a Keane here in Portugal Revan. His name is Petit (although Keane was more spectacular, Petit doesn't get as much media coverage and seems more "quiet" on the work in hand). His best season was the last at Boavista, what a Terminator.

Mauras said:
We have a Keane here in Portugal Revan. His name is Petit (although Keane was more spectacular, Petit doesn't get as much media coverage and seems more "quiet" on the work in hand). His best season was the last at Boavista, what a Terminator.

You WISH you had half a Petit in your squad...

I said before, what's the difference between planning to do it before the game and planning to do it 3 seconds before the challenge? There's no difference, You still 'planned' to do it.
How many people do you know that run full speed with their elbow stuck out? That challenge was on his head and if you think Keane's challenge on Haalands leg was worse then you're either deluded or a Man Utd hater.

People like to over exaggerate when United do things. Thatchers challange could have killed the player. Mendes was fortunate that Thatcher's elbow only hit his jaw. if Pedro was a few inches shorter and the elbow would have went into the side of his head, he could have ended up a mindless vegatable or dead. Keane's challange was never in danger of causing life threatening damage to Haaland, it was just one of those challanges that says 'theres your payback for what you done you cunt'

Back
Top Bottom