Best British player ever

Re: Best Brittish player ever

That has nothing to do with demographics, but with you could call (with a pompous term) a lack of general football culture, i.e. only being interested in the present and the team you support...that way, you miss a lot...

A question, will you still watch the CL now that Liverpool aren't in it anymore ?

Fans of small team have that advantage, their team usually does not participate in international football, so they have an unbiased point of view.

I know what you're saying but that wasn't really my point. My point was that the only people who will have really seen George Best in his prime are older Man Utd fans and most young fans of other clubs will only have seen a few minutes of highlights. (Best is an example, it goes for any of the pre-1980s players)

But yes i will watch the Champions League, I don't only watch Liverpool games, i watch whatever football is on, i watched the Milan derby the other day, i watch a lot of Spanish football and lower league English football. But classic football is only really available on DVD or sometimes on channels like ESPN Classic but my point is Liverpool fans aren't going to buy DVDs about old Man Utd players and vice versa so the vote is a difficult one to keep fair.

article-1088976-01229B2400000578-318_468x509.jpg

I don't know if you have ever followed cycling, i guess you do at least know Lance Armstrong. Well in Belgium we had a cyclist with more talent than Armstrong...unfortunately he got addicted to drugs...but he was the most talented cyclist ever...i guess you've never heard about Frank Vandenbroucke...

Do you really need talent to be a cyclist:D
Just decent endurance and a good masking agent for your growth hormones:OOOH:

Although I've never seen him in his prime, when I've seen Liam Brady play in the Masters indoor competition on SKYSPORTS featuring old players from the past, his passing range and touch are still wonderful. No wonder the Arsenal youth players are technically so good under his coaching.

Do you really need talent to be a cyclist:D
Just decent endurance and a good masking agent for your growth hormones:OOOH:

The most massive ignorance of the new decade and still a firm contender in 2019 i think...the part about the growth hormones is undeniable, but the rest is galactic bull...

You could have my sympathy for mentioning Brady, but then again you're Irish (biased).

If he's included in this (being from Belfast), George Best.

Had it all, and for all the talk of wasted talent, he reached the pinnacle as a footballer before cutting his career short. No one else compares.

Another useless discussion, but i really like those sort of pub discussions.
Who is the best Brittish football player of all times ?

Stanley Matthews (mythical)
Boby Charlton (World Cup Winner and ECI winner, player in two legendary Man Utd teams and a survivor)
George Best (perhaps the most brilliant, but he wasted it all)
Kevin Keagan (Liverpool icon and successfull in Germany)
Kenny Dalglish (the key player of Liverpool's golden age, Liverpool's all time best player and also played an EC I final with Celtic, but lost it).
Ryan Giggs (lots of domestic titles and two CL titles and still a fantastic player).
Beckham ( the first worldwide football icon)
Wayne Rooney (a key player in a team that won a CL)
or other players like Waddle, Hoddle, Brooking, Law, Johnstone, Charles, Brady, Roy Keane, Gascoigne...

and did i forget to mention players...

What about the goal keepers: Banks, Southall, Shilton, Clemence...

Who is the best foreign player in the Brittish competitions: Henry, Schmeichel, Cantona...

My personal choices:

Ryan Giggs
Neville Southall
Eric Cantona

with a special mention for Liam Brady

Your bit about Dalglish is wrong btw.

He never played in a European Cup final with Celtic, however he did with the European Cup three times at Liverpool. You also didn't mention that Keegan won the European Cup at Liverpool and was the first (And only) Englishman to win the Ballon d'Or in consecutive years. :SMUG:

Dalglish came on the pitch as a substitute in the EC1 final that Celtic lost to Feyenoord. I think this was in 1970. He was a very young player then.

I remember this very well. It was the first ECI final i was allowed to see. There were two players that i immediately loved because i liked the sound of their name: Dalglish and Feyenoord's Ove Kindvall who scored the winner in extra time.

Edit: it seems my memory is deluding me serious. I looked it up and Dalglish did not play in that final. So you're right UJsupanova...i'm sorry. Must be Alzheimer's disease.

About Keegan: Dalglish was by far the better player of the two.

Last edited:

How can nobody mention John Barnes. May not be the best but he is up there.

between 1987-1991 the guy was awesome!!

Never did it on the big stage unfortunately, was a top player though.

Amazing achievement by Keegan that to win it two times. What makes it and more impressive he did it in consecutive seasons, not many players have ever done that at all I don't think.

:APPLAUD: excellent sequence:

What "disappointments" me is that Man Utd fans think a Man Utd is the best ever and Liverpool fans think it's a Liverpool player (etcetera)...very objective.
That has nothing to do with demographics, but with you could call (with a pompous term) a lack of general football culture, i.e. only being interested in the present and the team you support...that way, you miss a lot...

First reaction..Milanista asks about a player of his team.:LOL:

I know he's not a 'legend', but what do the majority of English fans see in Beckham? Not necessarily his status in history, but as a footballer...

1. Bobby Charlton (England)
2. George Best (Northern Ireland)
3. Stanley Matthews (England)
4. Bobby Moore (England)
5. Gordon Banks (England)
6. Kenny Dalglish (Scotland)
7. Kevin Keegan (England)
8. Tom Finney (England)
9. Jimmy Greaves (England)
10. Jimmy Johnstone (Scotland)
11. Jimmy McGrory (Scotland)
12. John Charles (Wales)
13. Peter Shilton (England)
14. Duncan Edwards (England)
15. Bryan Robson (England)
16. Dave Mackay (Scotland)
17. Eddie Hapgood (England)
18. Danny Blanchflower (Northern Ireland)
19. Steven Gerrard (England)
20. Ryan Giggs (Wales)
21. Billy Bremner (Scotland)
22. Denis Law (Scotland)
23. Alan Hansen (Scotland)
24. Glenn Hoddle (England)
25. Dixie Dean (England)
26. Danny McGrain (Scotland)
27. Paul Scholes (England)
28. Pat Jennings (Northern Ireland)
29. Gary Lineker (England)
30. Billy Wright (England)
31. Graeme Souness (Scotland)
32. John Barnes (England)
33. Neil Franklin (England)
34. Frank Lampard (England)
35. Ian Rush (Wales)
36. David Beckham (England)
37. Neville Southall (Wales)
38. Cliff Jones (Wales)
39. Billy Meredith (England)
40. Alan Shearer (England)
41. Ray Wilson (England)
42. Chris Waddle (England)
43. Ray Clemence (England)
44. Jimmy Armfield (England)
45. Ivo Allchurch (Wales)
46. John Terry (England)
47. Alan Morton (Scotland)
48. Colin Bell (England)
49. John Greig (Scotland)
50. Bob Crompton (England)

I don'tagree with everything butthisis a very good list.
I missed Banks, Moore, Bremner.
Shilton is overrated...

Poor Scholes :(( Will never get the recognition he deserves, I bet most rate Lampard and Gerrard higher.

Gerrard above Giggs is even more ridiculous.
But Giggs generally gets more recognition than Scholes. I don't think Scholes cares about these things.

Another player i'm missing about the same Leeds Utd team as Bremner: Johhny Giles.
And where is Liam Brady in that list (technially Ireland is not Brittain of course).

Would have to be from the pre carpet days of today, imagine Ronaldo doing his stuff on the ploughed fields they had back then. Even at top-flight clubs, they would never play on them today they'd be outrage... ;)

Did you make that list?
Yes mate, it's only a personal list.

Gerrard above Scholes, Shearer and Beckham is laughable.
Gerrard above Giggs is even more ridiculous
I'm by far disagree. I feel Gerrard (19th) has had a greater impact that the previous players mentioned. Probably about Giggs (20th) and Scholes (27th), as every personal ranking, their positions are arguably, but I consider a great exaggeration saying are laughable or ridiculous.

And where is Liam Brady in that list (technially Ireland is not Brittain of course).
He's not in the list, the reason is in your own comment mate, the same because I'm not considering to Roy Keane.

Well glavisted, i was a bit harsh in my commentary ('ridiculous'): i'm sorry.
Still a good list, but i rate Giggs much higher than Gerrard.
Look at the longevity of his carreer. Look at all the trophies he's won...

Can't see how one can make such a judgement without having seen the players play.

There are certainly other ways...books, television, reputation...
You never saw Bobby Moore and Gordon Banks i guess...well Moore and Banks where two of the most influential players of England's World Cup winning team.

I never saw playing Di Stefano. But if you would ask me a list of the 50 best players ever, he should always be there...just like Cruyff, Maradonna and Pele...How many people who come on this forum did actually see those players live in their prime...i bet i'm the only one (i was born in 1962 by the way).

Still everybody will agree that Cruyff, Maradonna and Pele are among the best players ever...so it's fairly obvious that Glavisted not having seen players like Matthews, Moore and Banks (for example) is no probleem

Back
Top Bottom