Best fake names in PES series?

Don't get me started; it's a bee in my bonnet. I always refer to them by their original names! They changed it at a halfway point too - in between PES2 and PES3 - in Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution.

They changed because there were real players named Castello, Miranda, Ivanov etc.
Even for something like that, PES series always got problems with licences lol, they're damned with those kind of things (by another company probably)
That's why all the fakes players got pretty weird names in the original database.
But if they creates fakes new players for exemple, they got the right to name them like they want, the difference they are generated so it's considerated as random, so not intentionnal.

We laught about some fakes stuffs, but those fucking licences and "not ressembling" stuffs are a real pain in the ass. The worst is Bundes: if rosters are too much lookalike, like height and weight more or less the same and player likenesses (stats even if it's subjective) with every single other things totally fakes, they can got pursuit on justice lol. Same for Brasileirao in Fifa.

Brasil and German are really the worst.
Especially Brasil because every games are doomed, well, not FM i don't know why, perhaps because, the owners of the Brasileirao Federation really think their league is sacred and above all...
Stuff like i've read recently with Palmeiras is absurd. And Konami, since PES 2013 or 14, can't update those teams, you know why (player by player contract and shit). Sad because it's the league with the most big teams in South America in part with Argentina. Even if i'm not a big fan of Brasileirao to follow at all, they're good.

Bundesliga got an exclusivity with EA, so it's probably EA who redacted the contract for the "nothing can looks like Bundesliga players". And they aren't Fifpro neither, i don't know why they refused that partnership, it's not like a restriction to be part of Fifpro.
Always the same talk, but there's points i still don't understand even 15 years later.

They changed because there were real players named Castello, Miranda, Ivanov etc.

Surely not? Even Ostwald and Eddington? And even for the more common names - like Miranda, Ivanov and Castello - surely there would have to be other similarities to be challenged by a real player?

I hate licensing restrictions so much!

That was the reason, yes. I thinked everyone here was aware of it lol, others members can confirm. The info was shared a long time ago and well known.

Ivanov is a really common soviet name. Miranda a South America/Latino name. They couldn't use them then, there were a keeper named Ivanov in Russia already at the time etc.
Yeah it's sad, when licences/restrictions are going way too far.

That was the reason, yes. I thinked everyone here was aware of it lol, others members can confirm. The info was shared a long time ago and well known.

Ivanov is a really common soviet name. Miranda a South America/Latino name. They couldn't use them then, there were a keeper named Ivanov in Russia already at the time etc.
Yeah it's sad, when licences/restrictions are going way too far.
Yes , their names are changed between WE6FE (PES2 second release in Japan) and WE7 (PES3). Not sure whether it's due to licensing issue though. I could not find the real players they were referring to at that time (2002~2003).

Only one or two players are sufficient to get a warning and changes every single name in the team, for safety probably...

I thought the PES defaults were named after philosophers/poets or other historical figures so I wouldn't have thought it would be licensing that made them change it as most of the people they were based on were long since dead.

I guess as they were real names, someone could suggest they had their likeness used without permission, though any other fictional media has people with actual names and have a disclaimer like "any likeness is purely coincidental".

For a while it seemed like PES fake player names were like someone mashed a keyboard with a blindfold on, or complete nonsense names that sounded like an alien making up a human name (Scottish player called "Macovshire") so maybe they just tried to avoid any possible complaints.

Last edited:
I would have made them really cryptic.
Oliver Kahn back in the day I would have called Mont.
If anyone gets that reference I'll be amazed.

I'm just surprised that if Roberto Larcos is okay for Roberto Carlos, Ivanov isn't okay for a made up player; and that it seems to hinge purely on a name. Wasn't aware of that being the issue, thought it was just rumour. Consider me enlightened.

Sorry, don get it! But would call him Wrathof myself.
Anyone remember Bos? Dutch or German CB/DM I think. Absolute machine. Had him
at the back, Kaiser up front and Farina in the middle. Best ML team I ever had.

Pes 2
Facu (One of the best right backs ever)

Pes 3
Netret (You probably guessed who it is)
Froibaad (A little harder player to remember compared to Netret)
Tuncay (Thun-giai) was called "Tancay" (10 K) and fenerbahçe players were NOT fake.

Pes 4
Bitent (Bulent)

Pes 5
Bartolik (Basturk)

Pes 6
Orades Tuci (Turkish pes fans may remember those hilarious ones)
Imgham Torhan
Farry Tikki
Serahi
Tomyle

I think the best thing about it is that they made the fake names of already fake names because in previous games Ivarov was Ivanov, Minanda was Miranda, Castolo was Castello etc. 😂
Well, there's a little but important difference between a fantasy name (like Ivanov or Miranda) and a fake one (like Ivarov and Minanda).
I tend to prefer the former (because they're not tied to real life players but they're "entities of their own") and that's why I for example just love players like Janssens from 90 Minutes EPG and players like Pagani from ISS way better than I do when it comes to Roberto Larcos or Simaona (ISS 98).

Konami should've kept using fantasy names for unlicensed players, they shouldn't have resorted to fake names.

Sorry, don get it! But would call him Wrathof myself.
Anyone remember Bos? Dutch or German CB/DM I think. Absolute machine. Had him
at the back, Kaiser up front and Farina in the middle. Best ML team I ever had.
Actually that's the same reference 😂
I do like yours.
Check out the original actor 👍

I don't get it but... I loved when FM called him Jens (ouch, this hurts) Mustermann (well, I think it was like that... It's been a while).

The more I listen to Athletico Mince (comedy podcast loosely based on football), the more I think Bob Mortimer's pronunciations and/or misspellings should be a naming option going forward.

Names such as Debbie Alley and Jans Vertongens (of the White Harts Football Club Team).

Crystal Palace in PES 4 was Crisisbless lmfao

I mean who tf thought the words "crisis" and "bless" would go really good together as a team name?

Some callnames from the fakes names in the past where practically identical in Japanese.
Example: no "R" in Japanese. Roberto Lalcos in phonetic, looks a bit less weird. Well it's a bad example but some fakes/real players was pronouced practically similar in Japanese. But more in PES PS2 era, looks like they try to made fakes names fitting with commentary hahaha

I don't get it but... I loved when FM called him Jens (ouch, this hurts) Mustermann (well, I think it was like that... It's been a while).
The actor who played Khan in Star Trek was Ricardo Montalbán 👍

Olenbe -> Ivica Olic
J. Liggi -> Youssouf Hadji (that "J" was supposed to be a sort of Joseph but I used to call him Juhets for some unknown cringy reason)
Frutes -> Thorsten Frings
Zamiki -> Jaouad Zairi
Aschenkatz -> Halil Altintop

Back
Top Bottom