Best Footy of the Past Few Years

Siroco

League 2
10 June 2003
Looking to acquire some of the best games of the past few years.

Milan v. Liverpool is obviously on that list.
Perhaps, the Man U v. Arsenal game from early this year should be included.

What's on your list of classic matches that offer some compelling footy?

Ac Milan - Deportivo La Coruna
Deportivo La Coruna - Ac Milan (especially that one)
Chelsea - Barcelona
Czech Republic - Holland
Lyon - Real Madrid
Liverpool - AC Milan (very good but a litle bit overrated)

Anyone remember Spain vs Yugoslavia in Euro 2000?

Spain won 4-3 after two goals in stoppage time. The last, a volley from Alfonso, took the roof off. It was a weird atmosphere because both teams qualified after this result, so both teams and supporters were celebrating. Quite fitting for such a sublime match. I still rate that as one of the very best matches I've ever seen. Awesome goals.

Just found a match report online:
http://www.soccernet.com/euro2000/matchreports/20000621/yug_spa_full.html

I remember watching that game, Spain were on the plane home with 89 mins played. I ran about the room cheering when Alfonso scored, which was bizarre but just showed how great football can be!

Joystick said:

That was the match I was trying to remember about to tell my mate! :D

The goals were beautiful and it was just action all round. In fact, I gotta say that Euro 2000 was pretty much a success with most of the games being top notch and overall had teams of pretty high standard.

Joystick said:

Spain won 4-3 after two goals in stoppage time. The last, a volley from Alfonso, took the roof off. It was a weird atmosphere because both teams qualified after this result, so both teams and supporters were celebrating. Quite fitting for such a sublime match. I still rate that as one of the very best matches I've ever seen. Awesome goals.

class tourney pk was really on fire yup that game was superb as well

croatia vs france 1998
brazil vs holland 1998
brazil vs nigeria atlanta 1996

I'd say:

Spain - Yugoslavia (4-3) Euro2000
Man.Utd - Real Madrid (CL 2003 both legs)
AC Milan - Liverpool FC (2005 CL Final)
AC Milan - FC Barcelona (1992 CL Final)
FC Barcelona - At. Madrid (5-4 Spanish Supercup)

Bordeaux - Milan AC (3 - 0) UEFA 1996
Paris SG - Real Madrid (4 - 1) Champion's League 1993
Italy - France (1 - 2) Final Euro 2000
Manchester United - Real Marid (4 - 3) Champion's League 2003

Too many to remember, I've probably forgot some classics.

One of the best was Romania vs Argentina, WC94. What a game.

That spain one was brilliant too.

One of my personal favs are 2 Celtic games, Celtic 5 v Partizan Belgrade 4, what a game, must've been around 89/90, Dziekanowski scored 4 goals and still was on the losing side, great game. Also fairly recent CL game against Juventus, 4-3, what a game.

FD

Frank, you're right about the Romania - Argentina game, best I've ever seen I think. All 3 Romania goals were brilliant, with the second Dumitrescu one being the best.

Liverpool vs Alaves UEFA cup final in 2001 was one of the best cup finals you could hope to see.

8 normal goals, 2 red cards and a own-golden-goal. Magic.

Just wanted to add that fantastic Romania-Argentina match...i remember that both teams and the ref were outstanding...
I remember a long gone Cup Final between Man Utd and Arsenal that was fantastic in the last minutes, and thn of course a Belgian classic with perhaps the most sensational injury time ever...Antwerp-Vitosja Sofia in the early nineties. I remebmber watching that match with my dad, 2 or 3 minutes before the match finished Antwerp were 0-2 down and my father (convinced that the Belgian team was eliminated) went to sleep. Antwerp scored three goals in injury time, won the match and went further to play the final at Wembley (loosing against Parma).

Milan 1-0 Real Madrid 2002.

This was when Real Madrid was still at the top of their prime, its the year after they beat Bayer to win their CL. The game was very tight, and it took a killer through ball from Rui Costa from his own half to reach Shevchenko who was on a break. He easily tapped it passed Casillas for the 1-0 win.

Back
Top Bottom