Best league

WHich in your opinion is the best league?

• The barclays premiership

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • la liga

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • bundesliga

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • ligue1

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • eredivse {dutch league don't know how to spell it correctly}

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the scottish premier league

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • other please state why underneath

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Serie A
Why??? Because you asked so kindly...
and also because a team with 22 Serie A players was World Champion

PS: i've hesitated about the Outer-Mongolian Bovril League...very good...better than Premiership...definitely.

spanish and english exciting to watch, especially good games of epl are entertaining.

We've had threads like this many times in the past, no?

Anyways for me, it's a bit of a bullshit question.

There is NO best.

Thankfully we as football fans are blessed with 4-5 TRULY high quality, competitive and entertaining leagues and a true football fanatic will do his/her best to keep up and get enjoyment from as many as time allows.

Each of the top leagues have their own advantages/disadvantages over another making it even harder to 'rank' them let alone pick a best 'one'. But I won't get into what those advantages are as we don't want to get too technical here or spend too much time.

More importantly it depends how you define the word "Best" and what you really mean by it cuz different people definitely have different ways of interpreting that.

Some enjoy the tactical aspect of football more, some the technical, some the speed and aggression and some just want entertainment out of it and don't particularly care if the game is played at a slower or faster speed or if the level of quality isn't so high as long as it's entertaining.

Furthermore, some may define best as the league with most "World-class" players who are let's say measured by participating in WC (even though that's not a very good measure) while some will do it by comparing CL wins or finals against each other or by comparing # of WC winners and that sorta stuff which I find all of extremely BS.

Because when you're doing that, you're only comparing the Valencias of this world to the Liverpools and the Real Madrids to the Man Utd's and the Barca's to Chelsea's and etc. etc. (Only comparing and caring about few teams and few players out of a BIG range of players/teams playing in top divisions)

What they fail to realize is that you're not actually comparing the two leagues because the league is made up of a lot more teams who don't possess truly world-class players yet make up for a huge percentage of the league's fixtures and a huge percentage to the 'entertainment' value as well because they ARE very good players. (After all, that's why they're playing in the TOP divisions). So what if they're not world-class? They don't have to be!

Time and time again I've enjoyed a Racing Santander vs. Mallorca match or a Blackburn vs. Charlton match more than the so-called 'big ones'.

But sadly 99% of people when comparing leagues are forgetting all about 15 teams or so (More than 80% of the league!! :shock: :lol: in some cases) and only comparing how good it is by its FEW number of 'world-class players/teams' which really ISNT the point and is a MINORITY in 'any league' no matter how good anyway. :rolleyes:

How can you for example really compare the quality of two leagues when instead of comparing 20 teams vs. 20 and 500 players against 500 and 20 managers and set of fans vs. 20 other managers and set of fans and stadium atmospheres when all you're really doing is doing it for 3 teams vs. 3 teams and 60 players against 60 players? :-s

As a conclusion, I'd like to say for me personally, EPL is my favourite and hence the one I follow the most.

BUT, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A are TOO GOOD to miss! They are amazing leagues. Full of entertainment and high quality players. Many of whom especially in Bundesliga and Ligue 1 by the way don't have the reputation or Big Name of the Beckham's of this world due to lesser world-wide exposure and media hype but DONT lack in abilites. They deserve high respect and that's why I give it to them. I've been following all of them for many years now and they've earned it. They are truly high class and shouldn't be missed or forgotten about or ignored by a TRUE knowledgable football fan. Sadly there isn't too many of them around and many do like to ignore them or just go by the BS the media of their country wants to fill their head up with like saying things like Bundesliga or Ligue 1 is poor, blah blah when they have hardly even watched anywhere near enough full matches from it to have their own real opinion. :rolleyes:

In fact, :rock: Bundesliga and Ligue 1 :rock: rock and are very under-rated in terms of 'reputatuion' and that's largely thanks to the biased and unknowledgable football media of countries like England and Italy, etc.

For all these reasons and many others not mentioned, for me there is NO BEST league in the world and I don't quite care which it'd be even if there was. There is however for us football fans thankfully, 5 truly great leagues which should be regularly watched, followed and enjoyed and some other ones that to a lesser extent are also entertaining and high quality at certain times such as Portuguese Primera League, Eredivisie, Turkish League and even Greek and Russian and Belgian Jupiler league.

This is just the Europeans of course. Argentina and Brazil have good leagues in South America and J-league is quite decent as well and growing as are many other leagues such as Ukraine and obviously with soccer becoming bigger and bigger in U.S., hopefully MLS will grow to be better as well in future years.

PLF, as always a very wise answer...
Of course these polls are very subjective...until the day some weirdo scientist will publish a study with a mathematical model that will claim to give an objective answer to this question...and which will be brilliant bullshit...
In this case even the question was not objective (omitting the Serie A is rather biased). The reason why i answered Serie A is because of the biased question.
But of course i entirely agree with you especially concerning the underrated French and German leagues...

What they fail to realize is that you're not actually comparing the two leagues because the league is made up of a lot more teams who don't possess truly world-class players yet make up for a huge percentage of the league's fixtures and a huge percentage to the 'entertainment' value as well because they ARE very good players. (After all, that's why they're playing in the TOP divisions). So what if they're not world-class? They don't have to be!

How can you for example really compare the quality of two leagues when instead of comparing 20 teams vs. 20 and 500 players against 500 and 20 managers and set of fans vs. 20 other managers and set of fans and stadium atmospheres when all you're really doing is doing it for 3 teams vs. 3 teams and 60 players against 60 players? :-s[/B]
PLF, i quoted just a lil part of your post (otherwise my post could become too long), but everything u wrote was absolutely correct :applause: :applause: :applause:

u can say wich league u prefer, but not wich league is the best.

each nation has his own football culture, they're too different to be compared.
I like to watch la liga coz their matches are always entertaining, but honestly i don't think spanish football is top quality.
but even this consideration is subjective. I mean, my idea of "quality football" is not the same of a spanish guy ideal.

in spl matches u see a lot of "joga bonito" plays........ but why?? Is it coz they have the greatest offensive players? or is it coz they have the worst defenders??? in my opinion, none of them. spanish league has good defenders, but theyr football doesn't pay much attention to the defensive aspect. if u watch a spl match u can see a player taking the ball in the midfield and nobody (of the opponent team) going to tackle him for about 4 or 5 seconds. this gives to the player the time to think what to do with the ball. this usually means "a lot of nice offensive plays"...... but it means also a lot of unbelievable defensive mistakes (at least for an italian guy). In serie A usually u don't have the time to think what to do with the ball. actually u have to know what to do with tha ball before u get it. Coz from the moment u got the ball on your feet u just have 2 or 3 seconds to give it to your mate or to make a dribbling. this usually means that in italian football u rarely see nice plays...... but this doesn't means that italian football isn't quality football..... it doesn't means that italians play always defense. it just means that italian football consider the same way offence and defence. defence in italy is not "the only thing that counts" (as a lot of people think), but is as important as offence (what is not in spain).
so in italy, to do a "joga bonito" play, u have to be a real great player. Otherwise, is better to pass the ball quickly and with precision.

so, when i watch a spanish football match i see a lot of exiting plays (what i like)...... but i see also a lot of mistakes cause of the lack of concentration in defence..... usually when i see a goal, first i say "wow, what a great scheme!"......... but after the replay i say "wow, what a idiots are thos CBs. in serie A u will not ever see theese kind of defensive mistakes!"

instead, when i see an italian football match, i see always good matches, with a lot of intensity and balance.......... but they're even quite boring (at least if compared with la liga matches). Italian players have great fondamentals, but they rarely try to dribble the opponent (coz', like i said, when u get the ball, u got just 2 or 3 seconds, before 2 players come to tackle u). Spanish players instead enjoy the "entertairnment" aspects of football, but haven't great fondamentals.

moreover, when i talk about spanish and italian football, i'm not talking about milan, real, barca, inter, valencia or rome. I'm talking about "secondary" teams. if u wanna talk about italian, spanish, english, french, or german football, u don't have to consider totti, ronaldinho, gerrard, juninho or makaay. How many tottis ther are in serie a??? how many ronaldinho ther are in spl?? How many gerrard ther are in epl???

u have to look at medium class players, cause THEY willl tell u how football is played in italy, spain, germany, france.....
u wanna talk about italian football? then don't take as example pirlo, but corini...... don't take as example totti, but locatelli, don't take as example nesta, but terlizzi (and the same for the other leagues, of course).

some time ago, in this forum, a german guy was trying to explain to me that in bundesliga scoring a goal is as difficult as it is in serie a, by telling me that german defenders are as good as italians defenders...... he said "u have nesta, cannavaro, maldini, but we have mertesacker, boularouz, ismael" this argument doesn't mean anything. to compare italians and germans defenders u have to compare average italian defenders with average german defenders. each country has great players in each role (even spain has great defenders).
And this will still not be enough. in fact u don't just have to consider how good is a player, but what kind of schemes he plays (with his teammates). u can have great defensive players that play in a league that consider defense as "the only ugly aspect of football" (:lol: ).

in the end, is not about which league is the best. is about "what i like the most?" "what kind of plays thrill me?"
do u like great coaches and schemes?..... then don't look at epl!
do u like joga bonito plays an wings?....... then don't look at serie a!
do u like intense and balanced matches with players that rarely make mistakes?..... then don't look at la liga!

personally, i like everything in football, so i will continue to follow any league i can :mrgreen:

Last edited:
there is only one answer

ORANGE EKSTRAKLASA :P

but seriously I (as a real madrid fan) follow Spanish League, but I dont like it much (the teams except RM have bad nets pheeew) I like to watch Serie A and Serie B :D

Back
Top Bottom