• Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany)

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Arjen Robben (Netherlands)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands)

Votes: 13 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We still have one game to go, but so far Thomas Muller has impressed me the most given his age and inexperience at international level, and the impact he's had for Germany. Shame he's not on the list.

FIFA are full of shit. No goalkeepers or defenders in a relatively low-scoring World Cup.

Has FIFA ever given the Golden Ball to a player from the team finishing 4th? What does everyone think of Forlan's chances to pick it up?

I'd say it's unlikely but he's in with an outside chance and rightly so.

They usually pick a player from 1st or 2nd placed team.

For myself, David Villa has been the best single player. In fact early in tournament, I had $50 on him to get it at 1/9 odds. Now he's joint favourite with Sneijder to pick it up at 1/2.62 on a lot of sites, but I have a feeling, he won't get it now if he finishes top-scorer.

Problem is, even though he's been an amazing player and not just the goal-getter either but setting up others and playing for team and working hard, it's unlike FIFA would give BOTH Golden Boot and Golden ball to same player, no? So in that case, they'll probably give the Golden Ball to someone like Xavi or Iniesta or Sneijder or Robben if they really impress tomorrow and give Villa Golden Boot (if he finishes top scorer of course)

Which brings me to another question. How often has it happened that a player got both Golden Ball and Golden boot?

For me as of right now, Villa deserves it. Xavi and Iniesta have been very good but not at their best and apart from this last game, Villa has been a monster in every single game and at times especially in earlier games, single-handedly done stuff for Spain and take them through! It's rare I pick a forward over a midfielder as usually they get too much credit if anything. But in this case, for me, at least up until now (before Final), Villa HAS Been better than Xavi, Iniesta or any other individual. Sneijder and Robben have also been great along with Schweini but after this last match (average one), I don't think he has any realistic chance while Forlan may have an outside chance.

So for me, Gyan, Messi, Ozil, and even Schweinsteiger are out now. It's between other 6, 5 of whom still have a big chance to impress tomorrow.

One final question, is this announced right after World Cup match? I think so right? can't remember.

As for all those talking about Thomas Muller, he's fantastic. But I'm pretty sure he's gonna get Best Young player award with Andre Ayew coming 2nd and Gio Dos Santos grabbing 3rd place. So they didn't nominate him for this award as well though I agree he could've been one of the 10 candidates.

Last edited:
Btw. do you all know if Villa and Sneijder don't score tomorrow in Final,
Thomas Müller will win the golden shoe because at World Cup there can't
be two or more golden shoe winners and then they take the assists and
minutes.

Müller has three assists, Sneijder and Villa only one.
Müller needed less minutes to score a goal. :)

Wtf? Where's Muller in all this? He gets my vote and no one else deserves it but him.

As for all those talking about Thomas Muller, he's fantastic. But I'm pretty sure he's gonna get Best Young player award with Andre Ayew coming 2nd and Gio Dos Santos grabbing 3rd place. So they didn't nominate him for this award as well though I agree he could've been one of the 10 candidates.

Hopefully that's the case. It would be an absolute travesty if Muller doesn't win the young player award. But still, a shame he's not in contention with the 'senior' players.

Mesut is very overrated,ok he is good,he has potentiel but not that incredible good as the media says,Barca offer 25 Million,Manu 30:) everyday crazy news,Muller should be in that list or Lahm instead of Mesut from Germany

for me its diego forlan. müller played a great WC but given the fact that uruguay overachieved, it should be forlan. btw, his goals were pure class.

I hear you bro. Forlan is fantastic and if ANYONE doubted him before this WC (there barely was any but a few left...) they can't deny how awesome a player he is. Scored another, set up one and hit the crossbar.

But like I said, I simply don't think they will give it to Diego though I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Did they ever give it to a team finishing 4th? They rarely even do it for players from 3rd placed team.

So for me, he has an outside chance but isn't likely to get it. I do see they giving him either the silver or bronze ball though.

Btw. do you all know if Villa and Sneijder don't score tomorrow in Final,
Thomas Müller will win the golden shoe because at World Cup there can't
be two or more golden shoe winners and then they take the assists and
minutes.

Müller has three assists, Sneijder and Villa only one.
Müller needed less minutes to score a goal. :)

Really?! No, I had no idea about this.

Is this 100% confirmed? Thanks for the info.

Hopefully that's the case. It would be an absolute travesty if Muller doesn't win the young player award. But still, a shame he's not in contention with the 'senior' players.

I'm pretty confident that unless some shady, "This was Africa's tournament but they didn't do that well, let's give the award to Ghanians who were on the end of controversy to ease the pain" type of BS happens, Thomas Muller is dead set to win the "Young player" award.

Andre Ayew was great! Better than Dos Santos. But Thomas Muller was one of the best players of tourney period (even among seniors) and deserves it far more than those two.

So unless some "African" bias creeps in, I don't see anyone but Muller taking it. He's set for it after this match in particular I think. 5 shots on goal throughout the tournament ==> 5 goals from him by the way. 100% accuracy! lol

Mesut is very overrated,ok he is good,he has potentiel but not that incredible good as the media says,Barca offer 25 Million,Manu 30:) everyday crazy news,Muller should be in that list or Lahm instead of Mesut from Germany

Don't you underestimate the role of the brain in the whole system? The feet do the running but it's the brain that tells them to. The whole of Germany would have not been stellar were it not for Ozil. Muller is extraordinary, but i'd pick the Xavi-esque Mesut anytime.

He was even smart enough to ensure a quick transfer by refusing to sign a contract extension past 2011. :)) His club is basically forced to find a the most generous cheap offer now as come January he can sign for free with anyone.

What the Hell ? Where is Thomas Müller ? He score 5 goals and got 3 assist. remove Özil and get Thomas Müller in

Sorry, i read that is the official fifa list, its the shame like all other rubbish from the fifa :(
why müller are only nominated for the best young player. can´t a young player win the golden ball ?

Last edited:
1. Thomas Mueller.
2. Andres Inesta
3 Diego Forlan
4. Anna, (Ghana)
5 David Villa

What i really like about this WC is that the so-called stars failed: Rooney, Ronaldo, Torres and to a lesser degree Drogba, Eto'o and Messi.

Thomas Muller number one for me personally. But him being not on the list and putting him under the young players title, I'll have to go for Forlan. Those, imo, are the players in this tournament who'd carried their teams like Zidane did in 2006. They certainly deserve it much more than any one on that list.

Forlán was the best player in this world cup! I agree with PlF saying that Villa has also been the great spanish player in this world cup, but between them two, Forlán has done much more in my opinion. Villa has teammates of the same caliber who create a lot of chances for him, Forlán has this at a much lesser level. Forlán is a very special player indeed. Xavi or Sneijder will this award depending on the winner.

I think Forlan would be a good choice. I just don't see FIFA giving it to him. But I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

p.s. So is this announced right after the final game? today right?

Back
Top Bottom