Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Arjen Robben (Netherlands)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands)

Votes: 13 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow, pleasantly surprised.

Tho for me, he didn't necessarily deserve it more than David Villa. I'd say it's 50-50 and both could've won it. Forlan was better in the 2 final games though while David was better in the first couple games. So perhaps performances in latter games counts more.

Especially since neither win Golden Boot, this could've been the award to take home. But I guess David will take World Cup home and not get any 'personal' achievement awards but for me, still probably best player of WC followed by Forlan by a little.

FIFA surprised a lot of us nicely though. I don't think they've ever given it to a player from a team finishing 4th before. Diego deserves it though!

Deserved for me certainly when you think Uruguay almost always played with only 3 attacking players since the whole midfield with Perez, Arevalo, the Pereiras were not going to provide as much support up front compared to the other semi-finalists.

Forlan certainly did well to score 5 goals, a few important ones that got them to the semi.

I think Villa and Forlan deserved it, then Muller and Casillas. Ozil, Xavi, Snejder and Iniesta next.

So, it's a fair choice by Fifa as Uruguay went much further than expected compared to the other 3 semifinalists.

Xavi out of the top three is not acceptable. Think about it, without him there would´nt be this Spain. He is the spiritual "father" of this type of football. Having this Spain won the World Cup, Xavi and not Villa should be in the top three, even if the decisive factor for this victorious Spain was the "crescendum" of Iniesta throughout the final games. What a player! What a team, one who leaves Cesc and Silva out of the first eleven, and no fuss or egoes emerge from this fact. Truly Golden generation for Spain, both in skill/capabilities and mentality/psychology. They´ll be the ones to beat for many years. The true legacy of Cruyff, who i bet, was rooting for Spain in the Final, for they truly are his "sons".

Back
Top Bottom