Best TV for playing PS2 (Japan) in UK.

crayon

Champions League
23 October 2004
Japan
Liverpool FC
Ok, let's set my stall out. I have been living in Japan for a number of years and am now back in the UK. ;) I have a couple of games systems I bought over in Asia (PS2 and X-Box). I am looking for a TV that will allow me to play with a decent quality picture. I have tried out on a small Samsung Syncmaster 510MP and the results are a bit blurry. I only wanna spend a couple of hundred quid on a 28 inch or something like that. Do any of you guys have experience with this and live in the UK, or can point me in the right direction?

I presume its any TV with NTSC playback capability, is it? Would it be better to get an NTSC telly to play NTSC PS2? Seems a bit much.... :shock:

I'm waiting in nervous trepidation. :mrgreen:

The innards of most tvs are the same anywhere now, so buying an NTSC tv would be pointless, the picture quality would be no different. If you're using asian consoles some games will support progressive scan, so if you wanted to use that feature you'd need a decent set.

If that isn't important just get something with RGB input, that's the best you're going to get short of component/prog-scan.

so its scart then....are the red, yellow, white to scart adapters any good as that would be a cheaper solution.

Sorry to bother you babs, I know I asked something similar a while back.

Couple of hundred 28", is that £300 or more?

Also is it jsut for PS2, or for home viewing as well.

Most TVs you buy now have everything you need. NTSC support and everything. So basically, just get a new TV and most likey it'll suit your needs.

ashmufc said:
Couple of hundred 28", is that £300 or more?

Also is it jsut for PS2, or for home viewing as well.
Well, mostly for ps2 but home viewing for 200 quid or so ain't gonna be out of this world anyway.....

I actually saw a 200 quid phillips one on argos online a while back with 28". Realistically I guess I'm looking at 250-300 though. ;)

crayon said:
so its scart then....are the red, yellow, white to scart adapters any good as that would be a cheaper solution.

Sorry to bother you babs, I know I asked something similar a while back.
Thats the same as composite, the standard PS2 cable. Try that then try an RGB scart cable, you'll see the difference instantly.

danwin said:
I got a projector for £350, now I play pro evo on a 100 inch screen.
Or you mean a 100inch WALL.
Its not like a projector would come with a screen. It wouldnt be a projector then.
I was gonna get one but projectors are too blurry.

ashmufc said:
Can you buy online mate? Or do you ahve a John Lewis near you?
Me you talking to? Yeah, I can buy online but I guess (not sure) the closest John Lewis' would be Liverpool????? ;)

RuneEdge said:
Or you mean a 100inch WALL.
Its not like a projector would come with a screen. It wouldnt be a projector then.
I was gonna get one but projectors are too blurry.

dictionary.com
screen ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skrn)
n.
A movable device, especially a framed construction such as a room divider or a decorative panel, designed to divide, conceal, or protect.
One that serves to protect, conceal, or divide: Security guards formed a screen around the President. A screen of evergreens afforded privacy from our neighbors.
A coarse sieve used for sifting out fine particles, as of sand, gravel, or coal.
A system for preliminary appraisal and selection of personnel as to their suitability for particular jobs.
A window or door insertion of framed wire or plastic mesh used to keep out insects and permit air flow.

The white or silver surface on which a picture is projected for viewing.
The movie industry: a star of stage and screen. Also called silver screen

The quality is great, well chuffed with it. Great for nights in!

LOL. Just remembered that the 42inch TV in my living room is actaully has a big projector inside it.

Anyway, how far back do you have to sit to get a good view?
And how much did it cost you?

I reckon it cost him about £350, am I close?

we have it mounted on the wall about 5 metres away from the screen, the chairs are about 3-5 metres from the screen, and it's fucking awesome. Obviously the darker the room the better the picture, so we have some black out blinds. It cost me £362 but i've seen the same projector up for £900.

TOSHIBA TLP-ET1

http://www.aria.co.uk/productsList.asp?Category=290&Submit=submit

It's gone up in price, but if you look around you might find it cheaper.

Just a sub and a couple of speakers, I plan to get a better sound setup in the near future.

Thanks ashmufc, you're being very helpful. 32" would be better - the only thing being trying to keep costs down to around 200.

As for freeview - lol :lol: :lmao: :lol: we do get it in Wales! It's not outer space you know....actually I live so close to the border you might as well call it England anyway... :mrgreen:

I saw this bog standard one - thought it might do the job....

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...inches)=28.28&categoryId=21947&clickfrom=name

Last edited:
Maybe.....at a push...I ain't loaded:(....that Philips a crap one?

The cable you use will make more difference than the TV.

I use this cable:
ULTIMATE_SCART_CABLE_3.jpg

just like the one available at
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11319&item=8202882014&rd=1

and it improves the quality a whole lot on all the TV types I've tried it on (about 7).

and this one
http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/XPP01.html?id=3EicGF3g
also looks pretty good.

crayon said:
Maybe.....at a push...I ain't loaded:(....that Philips a crap one?
Mm... It;s not flatscreen, but for £100 I would go for this: http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_20451.html

Sony is a lot more reliable, very good viewing and flatscreen unlike the Philips, so better viewing angle. It also comes with a nice stand, and free delivery. Your viewing experience will be a lot better.

Also get a RGB scart as mentioned by Zyg, I got mine from Makro for a few quid, well worth it!

Ashmufc - Ooh, that looks nice for 300...very tempting with free delivery (altho does that end tomorrow?).

While I was living in Japan Sony didn't have the best reputation. It put me off them a bit. Looking at that ad though, I may plump for that one. Cost wise I ain't gonna beat the philips for that size and a semi-decent brand but as you say, flatscreen, stand etc...

Philips is not a bad brand, jsut Sony's product is better.

Delivery is £27.50, so its worth getting it, its like getting it for £270.00

If you decide not too buy this, tell me, I'll find some more.

Back
Top Bottom