Big Sam resigns as Bolton boss

total

International
10 December 2005
Slovenia
Arsenal/OGC Nice
Sam Allardyce has ended his eight-year reign as manager of Bolton after resigning with immediate effect.

He has been linked with the manager's role at Manchester City and refused to attend the post-match press conference after Saturday's 2-2 draw with Chelsea.

He said: "This has been one of the hardest decisions I've ever made but it's time for a new exciting era for Bolton under different leadership."

More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/bolton_wanderers/6605673.stm

Not surprised when its been in all the papers that he's Man City-bound. Though its funny how he's gone now with 2 games left than until the season's finished but that's that. Think a lot of neutrals might lose their dislike of Bolton now he's gone!

It will be interesting to see how the team now copes without the man that put it together

What I'd really like to know is whether the new manager will expand on whats already there or take the team in another direction. Bolton are known for being a physical team but a new manager could change that.

To repeat what I said in a different thread, thank God for that, I cannot stand the twat, I can actually like Bolton now!!

If you're genuinely interested in the reason, Tranmere fans hate the guy for various reasons but mainly for these two:

Firstly, after one particular game at Prenton Park, he ran onto the pitch and ushered the players off as quickly as possible, shoved them onto the bus in their full kits and they drove off as if they'd just robbed a bank, and the next day he does a radio interview saying that there was no rush and that it was a ridiculous story. We'll never know what the hell he was doing and what the rush was - he didn't shake hands with anybody, he ran so fast you'd have thought he'd left his oven on. He is a lying bastard, and with everything that the Panorama investigation dug up (bungs etc), how is he allowed to carry on being a manager?

Secondly, we go to the Reebok in the league cup, and before the game Big Sam is giving it the "Tranmere are a fish out of water" stuff in the match programme. We win the game, and what does he say in the post-match interview? "We weren't fielding our strongest side, we're not too worried about the cup, we're concentrating on the league, this isn't a blow to us at all" - absolute tit.

I quite liked Bolton before it became evident what a dickhead the guy is (yes, he's transformed Bolton and that's great, but that doesn't mean he should get away with bungs, lying and being a rude, obnoxious moron who thinks he has a divine right to be the next England manager - remember how pissed off he was when McClaren got the job?), and I'll be glad when they've got somebody else there.

I'll be gutted if he moves to Man City because I actually like Stuart Pearce and City.

Last edited:
I like "Big Sam" and Bolton, I like each other for the fact they made the other one. I shall still hope Bolton do well I just hope they don't get a prick for a manager. By the same logic I hope Sam doesn't go to a club I despise, though the expectations are for Man City nothing is guaranteed in football.

Bolton holding a news conference at 11am today, and are expected to name their new boss. Makes you ask whether Sam jumped or was he pushed?

AAAAAAHAHAHA, nice one. :D

I see they've appointed Sammy Lee - good coach but not managed before, remind you of anyone (cough Les Reed cough)? I give him until the first month of next season...

Glad Allardyce has gone. I quite liked the guy, but then it became quite obvious that he was one of the dodgiest fuckers in the game. He should've gone after the Panorama debacle. I can't believe he escaped punishment for that.

Sammy Lee won't last beyond the end of the season in my opinion. He's one of those who has 'hopeless as manager' written all over them. Look at Pearce at City - it's been a disaster, and I don't think Bolton will risk the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom