Blatter Wants to Cut 20-Team Leagues!

Milanista

Mangiamoli!
19 December 2002
London & Milan
AC Milan
I dont want this to happen at all. I'm much happier with Serie A with 20 teams than 18 teams as it gave us 4 more games to watch in the season. Changing league systems just for 4 extra international days is bullshit in my opinion.

FIFA demands top Euro leagues to be cut to 18 clubs

MUNICH, June 8 (Reuters) - FIFA President Sepp Blatter said on Thursday all of Europe's top professional leagues should be cut to 18 clubs next year, but his plan provoked immediate opposition.
Blatter said he wanted the reduction to be in place for the 2007-08 season after the 56th FIFA Congress endorsed a package of Task Force 'For the Good of the Game' proposals. But he met opposition from the English Premier League whose spokesman Dan Johnson said there was no way that this would happen. 'The only people who are going to tell us how to run the Premier League are the league's 20 member clubs' chairmen. 'They are the only ones who can change the composition of the league and they are just not going to go for this - no way.' 'There is no appetite for this kind of change in the make-up of our league,' he said. Blatter's plans are expected to meet equally robust opposition in France, Spain and Italy where they also, like England, operate a 20-club top league. If they refuse to comply, FIFA could choose to use sanctions at their disposal including a warning, a fine or suspension from the World Cup for the relevant national association. But a World Cup shorn of the stars from teams like Italy, Spain, France and England would be almost unthinkable. Speaking after the Congress had supported the proposal, Blatter confirmed that he expected his executive committee to carry the plan through in one year. 'Yes, now we have the power to do this after the support today from Congress,' he said. 'We have been given the power now to work on it. 'We will do it. I think the clubs will be happy and it will give four more days to the international calendar in those countries where they have 20 clubs.'

When is Blatter's reign as the big boss gonna end? :confused:

I'm more excited about that than world cup! :mrgreen:

All of those cut teams can play here then. :mrgreen: We have 10 teams in our first league over here. :roll:

Blatter is an idiot, why cut 20 teams leagues when FIFA organizes a totally useless Confederations Cup...
Club football is better than international football...every decent club team can beat the world champions...

Well, the Bundesliga always had 18 teams, so I do not really care about "oversizing" in other countries...two teams more or less do not really matter anyways.

I think 4 teams is fair. Then everyone gets a place in Europe.

well, especially in the summer break i feel bad because we have no football.(except this year)

i need football every day, every weekend.

football is my life, so why cut 20-team leagues?

blatter, please go home.

well I think there are too many games. The leagues cup shouldn't exist. I'm fine with 20 teams as long as the quality of the league is high.

PLF said:
When is Blatter's reign as the big boss gonna end? :confused:
The sooner the better, he is football's AIDS virus. He talks so much fucking shit its unreal.

18 is perfect, be funny seeing 24 teams in the prem, 46 games a season and the international friendlies and cups etc, it's around 60 games a season and imagine doing that in the same year as the Euros or World Cup :D

Games elsewhere need to be cut down, do we need 3 qualifying stages in the CL? teams from Andorra won't qualify so what is the point? have one stage and that's it, rest get flung into the UEFA cup.

At the end of the day it's all about the players, if every team in the prem wants 20 teams then what's the big problem, leagues should decide not some numpty.

I think that there are too many games nowadays. Players play 60+ games during an entire season, no wonder how there are so many injuries in these last days of the season. Is cutting to 18 teams the perfect solution to this problem? Well, I think it is part of it. I would:

- Cut the leagues to 18 teams.
- Cut that absurd Confederations' Cup. (Only a small number of players do actually play there).
- Allow the winner of the National Cup a place in next year's Champion's League. This way we'd compensate the lack of four games during the season with a more interesting Cup, as in many countries -like Spain- it is underrated.

Gedtillo said:
- Cut the leagues to 18 teams.
- Cut that absurd Confederations' Cup. (Only a small number of players do actually play there).
- Allow the winner of the National Cup a place in next year's Champion's League. This way we'd compensate the lack of four games during the season with a more interesting Cup, as in many countries -like Spain- it is underrated.

Agreed absolutely. There are too many league fixtures in one season, plus the cups are little more than pagentry, even in England. If there was a CL spot at stake it would be a lot more interesting.

Confederations Cup is the biggest waste of space going. Utterly worthless tournament, like who gives a FUCK?! :roll:

they should have shelved the confed cup in 2003, after the Foe tradgedy.
:( The world club thingy should go too, complete joke of a tournament.

Blatter off Sepp...

Never knew this:

His election and victory over UEFA President Lennart Johansson were marked with controversy. His incumbency has been marked with rumors of financial irregularities and backroom dealings, culminating in 2002 with direct accusations of bribery made in the press by the Somali FA member Farra Ado of an offer of $100,000 to vote for Blatter.

Sepp Blatter's deputy at the time, Michael Zen-Ruffinen drew up a dossier outlining allegations of financial mis-management and corruption within FIFA. The dossier alleged that the collapse of ISL had led to negative equity and losses of up to $100m under Blatter's organisation. The allegations were backed by the head of UEFA, Lennart Johansson. The dossier was handed to the Swiss authorities but no action was taken. Zen-Ruffinen was removed from office by Blatter immediately prior to the FIFA World Cup 2002.

In May 2006 British investigative reporter Andrew Jennings' book "Foul" (Harper Collins) caused controversy within the football world by detailing an alleged international cash-for-contracts scandal following the collapse of FIFA's marketing partner ISL, and revealed how some football officials have been urged to secretly repay the sweeteners they received. The book also exposed the blatant vote-rigging that went on behind closed doors in the fight for Sepp Blatter's continued control of FIFA.

Back
Top Bottom