ThomasGOAL

Retired Footballer
15 March 2003
France
Blu Ray/HD-DVD war

after Paramount, it's Warner go to the Blu Ray technology

so now for the Cinema Industry :

Blu Ray :
Sony Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox, Disney/Buena Vista, Fox, MGM, Lions Gate, Paramount and Warner

HD-DVD :
Universal

and Computer industry :

Blu Ray :
Sony, Apple, Dell and HP

HD-DVD :
Microsoft and Intel

Last edited:
Re: Blu Ray/HD-DVD war

Theres an interesting debate here:

Five Reasons Why Blu Ray Will Win

Although, I will say that people are overhyping this a tad. I doubt that the HDDVD/Blu-Ray scenario will be as big as the DVD scene - I mean, how many people will be willing to repurchase their whole DVD collection? What percentage of the consumer market even care about HD stuff and how many will actually have a HDTV?

A couple of other probs - China is looking to make a format of their own :roll: (this creates a prob as most DVD players are created in China). Companies have to pay extra to the chinese factories to produce their HDDVD/Blu-Ray players - meaning unanticipated higher costs :(

rockykabir said:

Although, I will say that people are overhyping this a tad. I doubt that the HDDVD/Blu-Ray scenario will be as big as the DVD scene - I mean, how many people will be willing to repurchase their whole DVD collection? What percentage of the consumer market even care about HD stuff and how many will actually have a HDTV?

A couple of other probs - China is looking to make a format of their own :roll: (this creates a prob as most DVD players are created in China). Companies have to pay extra to the chinese factories to produce their HDDVD/Blu-Ray players - meaning unanticipated higher costs :(
bro, HDTV is all over the states..... and im not saying this to be cocky, but we are the most important market in the world... we have the most money to waste on crap like this, so it is a big deal here in the states...

rockykabir said:

:(

currnet DVD's will be compatable with both or at least thats what ive been informed

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait till this comes out & I'm looking forward to a HDTV purchase (after I finish uni :) :eh:). But thinking of the average customer, I don't think they will be too excited about the prospects of High Def DVDs.

For my summer job, I was working in one of these electronic superstores which had a demo of HDTV - although impressed, most of the customers weren't happy at the thought of repurchasing their DVD collection for "just a bit of clarity over DVD" <--Quote from a customer btw..

Examples of this at the moment are those Superbit DVDs and SACD/DVD-Audio - both of which were flops in the market. With some of the older films (a huge market for DVD), many have said that the superbit stuff were worse due to the pixellation.

I'm saying that although BluRay/HD-DVD will be a success, I doubt it'll repeat the phenomenon that was the DVD.

My two cents anyway :D

rockykabir said:
Don't get me wrong, I can't wait till this comes out & I'm looking forward to a HDTV purchase (after I finish uni :) :eh:). But thinking of the average customer, I don't think they will be too excited about the prospects of High Def DVDs.

For my summer job, I was working in one of these electronic superstores which had a demo of HDTV - although impressed, most of the customers weren't happy at the thought of repurchasing their DVD collection for "just a bit of clarity over DVD" <--Quote from a customer btw..

Examples of this at the moment are those Superbit DVDs and SACD/DVD-Audio - both of which were flops in the market. With some of the older films (a huge market for DVD), many have said that the superbit stuff were worse due to the pixellation.

I'm saying that although BluRay/HD-DVD will be a success, I doubt it'll repeat the phenomenon that was the DVD.

My two cents anyway :D
"just a bit of clarity over DVD" probably some guy who needed a new glasses prescription, the clarity is incredible compared to a DVD, what type of HDTV were you selling? CRT rear projection, DLP rear projection, Plasma flat screen, LCD flat screen, or CRT?Was the feed you were using HDTV? If so what was it, as I didnt think you guys had anythin that actually displayed HDTV yet over there? My bro has a DLP rear projection and he refuses to watch DVD's anymore... he gave me 150 of them.... all he watches is HDTV, and good news for us in the states, all World Cup games will be in HDTV! :)

It was a DLP rear projection but for some reason, they were only showing rolling footage of a roller coaster :roll: - so I guess we will really see UK's reaction to HDTV when Sky begin their HD service.

Besides, I'm not arguing against HDTV (I was in love with it since I first glimpsed my eyes on it ;) ) but more about these high def DVDs - partly because many customers invested in DVDs because they felt it was futureproof.

But how will the BluRay/HD-DVD manufacturers argue their futureproof-ness when HVDs will soon be available?

HVDs are capable of storing 3.9Terabytes - 80 times that of BluRay.

Last edited:

Well if the new HD-DVD/BlueRay players play DVD/VCD aswell, I dont think people would mind too much about their old collections. Its not like DVD quality is bad compard to the difference with VHS.

rockykabir said:
It was a DLP rear projection but for some reason, they were only showing rolling footage of a roller coaster :roll: - so I guess we will really see UK's reaction to HDTV when Sky begin their HD service.

Besides, I'm not arguing against HDTV (I was in love with it since I first glimpsed my eyes on it ;) ) but more about these high def DVDs - partly because many customers invested in DVDs because they felt it was futureproof.

But how will the BluRay/HD-DVD manufacturers argue their futureproof-ness when HVDs will soon be available?

HVDs are capable of storing 3.9Terabytes - 80 times that of BluRay.
technology is moving so fast now its incredible, in five years you wont need portable media disks of any kind, it will be assumend that all media players are connected to the internet, and thats how you will play your HD or music... the internet is still in its infancy... but one day you will be able to click on a movie on a website and it will be played thru your tv in pure HD... no disk needed...

csaunders said:
technology is moving so fast now its incredible, in five years you wont need portable media disks of any kind, it will be assumend that all media players are connected to the internet, and thats how you will play your HD or music... the internet is still in its infancy... but one day you will be able to click on a movie on a website and it will be played thru your tv in pure HD... no disk needed...

Apparently (I dunno whether its already out) but Hong Kong users are gonna get 1 Gbit Internet lines

Its enough to stream a full dvd.... :shock: - they are already planning faster speeds..

Outta interest, what is the fastest internet line available to customers nowadays?

rockykabir said:
Apparently (I dunno whether its already out) but Hong Kong users are gonna get 1 Gbit Internet lines

Its enough to stream a full dvd.... :shock: - they are already planning faster speeds..

Outta interest, what is the fastest internet line available to customers nowadays?
1 gbit? Ha thats nothing here in the states, Verizon has something out with 15 down, 2 up, gbit, fiber piped into your house.... i think around $80 a month(includes phone)

We are so behind it unture, Sky are supposed to be bringing in some hdtv channels as early as Febuary next year! But with the world cup on ITV and BBC there will be nothing for us!

Not straight away, BBC have done HDTV testing, while ITV have not so far.

"Although we all know that Microsoft hates Blu-Ray, Bill Gates doesn't seem to like HD-DVD either. Primarily, it seems, because Mr. Gates believes media storage on hard drives is likely to be the default standard sooner rather than later. From the interview: 'Well, the key issue here is that the protection scheme under Blu-Ray is very anti-consumer and there's not much visibility of that. The inconvenience is that the [MPAA] got too much protection at the expense of consumers and it won't work well on PCs. You won't be able to play movies and do software in a flexible way.'"

Source:Slashdot

I have to mostly agree with him. Media storage on HD is the way to go.

To csaunders in particular, I take back everything I said about HDTV not being much of an improvement over DVD... UK stores are now coming to their senses and showing true HD signals on their HDTVs (previously, they were showing conventional TV :roll: )

I just saw a 60" Plasma showing a demonstration in HD (which included a football game).....Bloody 'ell(!) - Absolutely amazing :shock:

I feel "so yesterday" now! :(

rockykabir said:
To csaunders in particular, I take back everything I said about HDTV not being much of an improvement over DVD... UK stores are now coming to their senses and showing true HD signals on their HDTVs (previously, they were showing conventional TV :roll: )

I just saw a 60" Plasma showing a demonstration in HD (which included a football game).....Bloody 'ell(!) - Absolutely amazing :shock:

I feel "so yesterday" now! :(
yeah man, wait till you see sports, I have had my HDTV since 2001, I get NFL, MLS(freddy Adu in HD), NHL, hockey is so amazing in HD, you can see the puck at all times. Throw in 24, Lost, sopranos, rome, etc... Its awesome. I caught wingend migration the other night in HD, simply amazing... the World Cup is going to be broadcast in HD here in hte states on ESPN ESPN2 and ABC, all 64 games in HD!!!! I cant wait...

Going back to this debate, I'll agree with Bill Gates here that high storage discs aren't the way forward - I'll personally be more attracted to installing stuff on a hard drive. I get the feeling that these hi-storage discs will be more vulnerable to scratches :eh:

rockykabir said:
Going back to this debate, I'll agree with Bill Gates here that high storage discs aren't the way forward - I'll personally be more attracted to installing stuff on a hard drive. I get the feeling that these hi-storage discs will be more vulnerable to scratches :eh:
Not only that but also the read times on the disc. HD is read much faster which is a very important factor.

When people record tv programs in the states on HDTV, If i were to download them would i get the full effect on a HDTV over here....?

Depends on the quality of the video. A HD video fills my entire monitor even before zooming or stretching it to fit my screen.

You cant simply assume its HD because of its size. It could just be 2 dual layer quality movie discs put together.

Back
Top Bottom