Bobby Zamora - Am I overrating him?

Mauras

Premiership
7 October 2002
Now this is what tricks me... there is another thread were I see ppl talking about Peter Crouch. Peter Crouch even went to the WC...

... and then I turn my telly and ever since last PL season I've been impressed with the (at my eyes) very talented Bobby Zamora. Not only talented but he is a true fighter, a player with enough technical skills and an oportunist like I don't see many today.

I see he is having a hell of a start in the premier.

Can ppl from britain:

- explain what's wrong here, am I overrating this guy? Is he worse than my eyes show me?

- How the hell did England have those problems and poverty upfront in the WC when a guy like Zamora is doing enough to deserve a call? How the hell can you guys consider Crouch more useful than a Bobby Zamora?

Probably I'm too much positively biased towards this player but it shocks me to see how the hell is he still playing at west ham and why doesn't he deserve a chance.

Mauras said:
Now this is what tricks me... there is another thread were I see ppl talking about Peter Crouch. Peter Crouch even went to the WC...

... and then I turn my telly and ever since last PL season I've been impressed with the (at my eyes) very talented Bobby Zamora. Not only talented but he is a true fighter, a player with enough technical skills and an oportunist like I don't see many today.

I see he is having a hell of a start in the premier.

Can ppl from britain:

- explain what's wrong here, am I overrating this guy? Is he worse than my eyes show me?

- How the hell did England have those problems and poverty upfront in the WC when a guy like Zamora is doing enough to deserve a call? How the hell can you guys consider Crouch more useful than a Bobby Zamora?

Probably I'm too much positively biased towards this player but it shocks me to see how the hell is he still playing at west ham and why doesn't he deserve a chance.
He will probably get a chance in those Friendlys/Euro 2008/WC 2010 qualifying. He is a great player and show service in West Ham, IMO he deserves wearing the mighty England shirt.

No big club showed interest on him this summer? That also surprises me.

I think even if he was in the England team, he would be fighting against people like Bent, Johnston, Beattie, Ashton, Harewood, who are all better than him atm.

Zamoras form towards the end of last season and the start of this season, is very promosing, and will look foward to seeing it develop. But his goal against Liverpool was a cross, not a shot ;)

Last edited:
My club Stoke City nearly snapped him up two years ago. At that time the West Ham fans didn't like him at all and wanted him to leave the club.

I first heard about him when he was scoring for fun for 'Brighton' in the third tier of English football. He scored something like 35 goals in one season or something ridiculous like that which prompted him to get a move to a Premiership club. He moved to Tottenham and didn't really hit it off there and so was part of a swap deal that saw Jermain Defoe move to Spurs and Bobby Zamora (plus some cash i believe) go the other way.

As i said above he didn't really capture the form he showed for Brighton in his early times at the club and this prompted the fans to get on his back. However, he came on in the Play-Off final 2 years ago and scored twice i think and pretty much got West Ham to where they are today; The Premiership.

His form this season so far has been top notch. It won't last i don't think though, he's not consistent enough. Perhaps he is finally showing what sort of a player he is. I wouldn't have him in the England squad personally.

Form is temporary, Class is permanent.

hmm... pitty. The idea I have of him in the few games I saw was a fighter, a player that gave everything, like he was always angry or something :).

That mixed with some very nice goals I saw on EPL games and youtube gave me the impression he was better than the career he's having but maybe it's just a matter of time like you guys say.

Don't get me wrong. In the early days of his career he was awesome! He's a Brighton legend! Just the form he has shown so far this season has not matched that of previous seasons. This might be one of two reasons:

1. He might just be on 'good' form, which is the most likely option. If this is the case then we will start to see the goals tally slow down a little (or a lot) in the coming weeks.

2. He might finally be finding his feet in the Premiership and showing us what he can do when Dean Ashton is away. If he keeps scoring like he has been then he will no doubt get in the England squad and get his chance.

yep but the truth is that West Ham might not be the best stage for him to keep scoring like that :).

What I mean is.. is he a clumsy guy having 4,5 goals out of nothing or does he have the tech skills to keep up to this (his youtube collection of goals is trully impressive, there are some lucky ones but there are others of true worldclass technique)? Did he have any personal issues that justified the loss of form during those tottenham and w. ham days?

The first time I noticed him was last season in some EPL weekly magazine highlights. I really liked his spirit and atitude, and he didn't seemed the usual "2 bricks as feet" guy. :)

At most clubs he's been at he's been a team player, basically meaning he's never been assured a starting place at any team other than Brighton, at Spurs he was about 4th choice most of the time. Now at West Ham he is at about 3rd in the pecking order behind Harewood and Ashton when both are fit, I agree with you he is a good player and better than Crouch (I still am not converted to thinking Crouch was a worthy purchase for Liverpool no matter what Liverpool fans say, Koller would have been much better, but thats for another thread).

His goal against Blackburn (I think) last season was the pick of quite a few good goals and I think he scored a pretty good one in the playoffs two seasons ago and should definately just get a run out in a future friendly before he decides to go and play for Trinidad & Tobago afterall.

I disagree with him being better than Crouch. I think Crouch is an excellent player and has come on leaps and bounds since his move to Southampton and then Liverpool.

I think you are getting a bit too over-excited here. Just because he's scored a few goals early on in the season doesn't mean he will continue to do so. He's surprised many (like Kanu has) with his heavy-duty scoring so far and i for one don't expect it to continue. Like i said above "form is temporary, class is permanent".

Now don't get me wrong, i'd love him to continue to score and become a hit in the England squad, but i don't think it will happen. A lot of people are getting a bit carried away.

More than the amount of scoring it's the execution mate. I don't see him as the traditional clumsy on the ball, unless his goals are are a bit lucky and his tech skills in the remaining game are somewhat disappointing.

PS - Kanu? What a wonderful player he was, not in the Arsenal days but specially as a youngster in Ajax. Sure Kanu was not comparable to Zamora :)

Yeah, i get what you're saying, he has scored some wonderful goals. His goals this season though have been quite scrappy and a couple have not been lucky to go in. The one against Liverpool was definately a cross! Although he is very good on the ball and has good qualities.

The reason i mentioned Kanu was because of his heavy-duty scoring so far this season. I for one am surprised that he's topping the scoring charts and i think a lot of others would have had the likes of Henry and Sheva up there and Kanu would have been way down there list. You're definately right about him being a quality player still, there's no doubt about that. Probably one of the best African players i have seen if not the best.

Don't get me wrong i don't want to take anything away from the skills of Bobby Zamora. He's a good player. I just don't think he's a class player and won't make an impact at international level. :) I'd have Harewood in there before him personally.

Not too sure about this guy, sometimes I look at him and go "oh there's another definate Maradona" and then he turns in a bad game and he's back to being a regular "could have been a great striker and scored a lot more goals if he tried a bit harder" like a Hagi or Eusebio.

VeryBigEd has it pretty much spot on about Zamora.
Although one thing I will say is that there were many West Ham fans who know how good he can be so thats why they were getting on his back a bit.
But again it wasn't most of West Ham... it's just you hear the negative a lot more than the positive.
See also About 'West Ham wanting Pardew out':roll:.... again this was more a minority. And is frustrating when we are made to look fickle by cheering Pardew now even though we most wasn't booing him in the first place. (And fwiw..there are still quite a few fans who are still unsure about Pardew)

I really rate Bobby Zamora.
I actually rate him as being a better player than Dean Ashton and I said that even the day we signed Ashton. Many will disagree; which is understandable.
If Bobby can stay on form and keep hitting goals, then McClaren will not be able to ignore him.

Also little concerned about Mauras' comments about Zamora needing bigger stage and implying that we are too small for him.
We are easily in the top 10 clubs in England, are playing European football, have arguably one of the best youth system set-ups in the last 10 years (if not,- THE best) and most importantly... Zamora is a massive, MASSIVE West Ham fan.;)
Think the reason he is doing so well is because he is at West Ham and is happiest he has ever been in his career.
He is a confidence player and has bags of it at the mo.

(His great goal was against Birmingham last year btw)

Hi steevio,

thanks on the info.
Sure the Tevez + Mascherano deal surely helps your case on how big West Ham is in England :).

WHat I meant was not so much the size and importance of the team but it's power and position to be a serious title contende in a given country. That's what I meant, and by that I meant that I feel bobby would really prove himself (or not) playing on a team that challenges its league and that plays continuous attacking soccer creating regular chances all over the game. When a striker plays in those teams he really proves if he is up to it or a failure.

Cool.

Yeah I know what you mean...but to be fair, anybody who is looking to challenge for the title will never buy Zamora.
Simply he is not good enough.

So I think the simple answer to your question is Yes - you are overrating him ;)

Good striker on good form, potentially a great striker but until then,- West Ham is the perfect club for him.
Any bids for him will just be from a competitor rather than a step-up.
HTH

Back
Top Bottom