Mack

Champions League
8 August 2003
Manchester
MCFC
Multiple blasts paralyse London

_41276681_aldgatefire_pa203_300.jpg
Firefighters aid an injured passenger at Aldgate station

Large numbers of casualties have been reported after at least six explosions on the Underground network and a double-decker bus in London.

Scotland Yard confirmed one of several reports of explosions on buses in the city - in Tavistock Place - but said the cause was not yet known.

UK Home Secretary Charles Clarke said several explosions in central London had caused "terrible injuries".

All Tube services and bus services in central London have been suspended.

"The health services are in support to deal with the terrible injuries that there have been," Clarke told reporters outside Downing Street.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said there had been at least six explosions, but said the picture was still "very confused".

Scotland Yard said explosions have been reported at Edgware Road, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Russell Square, Aldgate East and Moorgate.

_41276921_central_londonblasts_map.gif

08:49 police called to Liverpool Street tube station after reports of a bang
Blasts also reported at Aldgate East, Edgware Rd, Kings Cross, Moorgate, Russell Square tube stations
10:14 Reports of blast on bus at Tavistock Square

Number 10 said it was "still unsure" whether the explosions were a terrorist attack and although casualties were reported, no further details were yet available.

Prime Minister Tony Blair is to make a live televised statement on the explosions in London at 1200 BST, Downing Street added.

All London Underground services have been suspended indefinitely and bus services in central London (Zone One) have been halted.

A spokesman for Vodafone said emergency services were being given priority access to the mobile phone network which was causing problems for other users.

One caller to BBC Five said his friend had seen "the bus ripped open like a can of sardines and bodies everywhere".

Loyita Worley, who works for a City law firm, said she was on the underground train when an explosion took place in the next carriage, while it was in a tunnel.

The 49-year-old said: "All the lights went out and the train came to an immediate halt. There was smoke everywhere and everyone was coughing and choking, but remained calm. We couldn't open the doors."

Once the doors were opened they were taken along to Liverpool Street station.

She said the carriage where an explosion happened was "black on the inside" she saw people who appeared to have their clothes blown off, and she saw bodies lying inside the carriage.

And the Press Association quoted union officials as saying sources had told them there had been at least one explosive device on the Underground.

o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
There was immediately smoke everywhere and it was hot and everybody panicked. People started screaming and crying
end_quote_rb.gif

Jacqui Head
BBC News

inline_dashed_line.gif

Bus 'ripped apart' in explosion
Have you been affected?

British Transport Police said incidents took place at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square stations.

Scotland Yard confirmed they were assisting with a "major incident" and said there were casualties.

Hospitals have said they are no longer accepting non-emergency cases, BBC Five Live reported.

The National Grid, which supplies power to the Underground, said there had been no problems with its system which could have contributed to the incidents.

'Screaming and crying'

Jacqui Head, from BBC News, who had just left King's Cross station on a Piccadilly Line train as an explosion happened, said: "Everything was normal. Suddenly there was a massive bang, the train jolted.

"There was immediately smoke everywhere and it was hot and everybody panicked. People started screaming and crying."

The train was kept in the tunnel for 20 minutes and no announcement was made to explain the delay to passengers, she added.

Liberal Democrat MP Simon Hughes, near Kings Cross, told Five Live: "My only thought in the midst of all this confusion is that after the celebration of yesterday (for the Olympic 2012 London success) for people to be evil enough - if it is the intentional causing of death and injury - and think that they can justify this in any circumstances is completely unacceptable."

London Fire Brigade said four crews were at Liverpool Street and more were on their way.

Another passenger, who had left the Tube at Fenchurch Street Station, and walked to Aldgate East, told BBC Five Live that he saw injured people.

"As I walked through the bus station I could see people lying on the ground, black, as if they'd been covered in smoke. There were about three or four people on the floor being treated."

Eyewitness Paul Woloszyn from BBC News, who was at Blackhorse Road station on the Victoria Line, said: "We were told there was a bomb at Liverpool Street station.

_41276555_liverpool_street2_map203.gif

"I was on the Tube, and they stopped the train and told everyone to get off and evacuate the station."

He said staff had said the entire Tube network had been affected, and leaflets had been handed out with details of alternative bus routes.

Another eyewitness, Dorothy Molloy, had been on a Tube train at King's Cross and said "staff just chucked everyone out of the station".

She said staff there had not given any details, but she said two passengers she had spoken to had said they had received messages saying there had been bombs. "People didn't really know what was going on, they were just huffing and puffing and saying how annoying it was," she said. "People don't seem to be panicked, but there's so many police and ambulances coming into the areas. People are just concerned, and some are just annoyed at the delay."

This is just madness especially after celerbrating getting the Olympics!

Has it happened due to London winning the Olympics, or is it due to the G8 conference in Scotland today? It's hard to figure out, maybe after the celebrations yesterday it's made it even more real

It's been done to coincide with the start of the G8, according to Tony Blair. He's just given a speech on BBC ONE.

Jesus Christ, this is a black day. I had no idea for two hours, just whizzing around the net doing stupid things, and then when I checked out BBC SPORT I saw "Olympic Celebrations Cancelled Due To Bombings". I thought "what the hell" and went to BBC NEWS. I am shocked.

God bless everyone injured, and the families of those who have died.

I just hope its due to the G8, meaning it wont happen again in the near future.

I'm also meant to be heading to London this sunday.

This is terrible news! But what the hell can we do to stop suicide bombers? These people are just so brainwashed it's unbelievable! EVIL EVIL bastards!

My thoughts go out to everyone this has affected.

I was in a meeting for 2 hours this morning, came back to my PC and had about 15 msn windows open with people talking about it. It is shocking, especially after the scenes yesterday.

Having read the reports and seen the pictures I personally don't think it was carried out by a large terrorist group. I think the devestation would have been far worse if someone like Al Qaeda were involved. So I'd agree with those of you who say it is likely to be related to G8 or the Olympics.

Hopefully the number of casualties will be low.

mattster12 said:
But what the hell can we do to stop suicide bombers? These people are just so brainwashed it's unbelievable! EVIL EVIL bastards!

As far as I am aware this wasn't suicide bombers. It was packages left on train stations or on buses.

ReActor said:
Having read the reports and seen the pictures I personally don't think it was carried out by a large terrorist group. I think the devestation would have been far worse if someone like Al Qaeda were involved. So I'd agree with those of you who say it is likely to be related to G8 or the Olympics.

I think it's clear enough already that it's AL Qaeda linked. Their European "operation" has apparently released a statement on a website claiming the attacks, that news just came out of Germany.
Also they're saying the bus attacks look quite likely to be suicide bombers. :(

Edit: Now news coming out of Italy of a new group that are claiming the attacks, and also links with Al Qaeda. I'm guessing a few groups will jump on the bandwagon.

Last edited:
The news you are hearing is mainly just speculation at the moment. The truth will probably become clear tomorrow.

It is yes, but it looks more like Al Qaeda than anything else right now. The attacks follow the pattern very closely. Plenty of smaller explosions over a wide area, all within a very similar timeline.
I think saying that the devastation would be worse if they were involved is untrue, I dont think these attacks were meant to cause major devastation, they were more than likely a message to show that they're still around, sure they timed it to probably coincide with G8, as thats probably the best time to get this message accross. I think saying that it has anything at all to do with the Olympics is a bit far fetched. Just, why?!

This is truly terrible news. My sister went through London today to go to a University Open Day, and I have a fair few friends in London. It's incredible that the terrorists make such an attack when G8 are meant to be talking about "making poverty history" and so on.
Of course, half the bloody Police are up in Scotland having to worry about pissing hippies smashing car windows.

My thoughts go out to all affected by these attacks.

I keep hearing Al Qaeda, Jihad in Europe being mentioned on the news. They apparently have claimed responsibility on their website. How the heck do these websites exist? One thing is for sure, security will be a lot stricter than it already is around London for sure.

i agree wot a sad day after the height of london 2012 yesterday it just shows those terrorists are still out there and it makes me think why do we have such people prepared to kill others for no reason. i just think that now the UK will properly toughen anti terrorism laws

RIP to those lost in these acts of cowardice

With it being London though, there's more chance of tourists being hit than British people. If they really wanted to get at the government, why do something like this to innocent bystanders?

_41277737_trapped_keith_tagg.jpg

A picture from the underground from a mobile phone. Jesus Christ. This is fucking scary.

Its been the one topic of conversation at work all day, people wanting to know the latest.

Shocking

whoever done this is sick...the people who claimed to be responsible(al quada however you spell it) say that its because of the occupancy of the UK soldiers in iraq and they said that they would move on to denmark and italy if they dont withdraw troops...sick bastards i hope they pay dearly for what they have done. Im in london as well. Oh and thank god that it wasnt a biological or radiological attack...that would have been very bad.

Be safe

Last edited:
I'm so impressed with the way that people are taking this, it's incredibly calm so far. People are shocked, appalled and they are scared, but at the same time there's no mass exoddus or panic - look at the amount of people still doing their shopping and still walking the streets. I think it sends a very clear message that no matter what anybody says, the terrorists are never going to win.

I'm sickened by what's happened today, but I'm also really proud.

Chris Davies said:
I'm so impressed with the way that people are taking this, it's incredibly calm so far. People are shocked, appalled and they are scared, but at the same time there's no mass exoddus or panic - look at the amount of people still doing their shopping and still walking the streets. I think it sends a very clear message that no matter what anybody says, the terrorists are never going to win.

I'm sickened by what's happened today, but I'm also really proud.

That's true. As much as the terrorists want us to believe the contrary, there really aren't many of them. It's great to see a country stand against them and their cowardly tactics.

Back
Top Bottom