Bought and installed an X1950 Pro, slowdown on high

Sparky5150

Non-League
5 October 2006
I'm still on AGP, and rather than upgrade to PCI Express just yet I decided I would extend the life of my AGP rig and get a Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro card. I fully expected it to be able to run PES2008 on the highest settings with no problems, but it isn't the case.

I've read on here that other people with the same card have had problems, but also some have been able to play it on the highest settings with no problems at all. I've tried a bunch of different drivers(currently using Omega 7.12), messed around with all the PES settings - all to no avail. It's playable on the highest settings but when there are a lot of players on the screen it slows down, also during long range shots :(

I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to be able to play it on the highest settings? I have 2GB RAM, an Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2Ghz CPU and I expected it to run smoothly. If I can't get it running smoothly I'm probably gonna go back to PES6 - overall I think that's possibly a better game anyway.

I have the same agp card as you and don't get any slowdown during the game (offline of course,online it does what it feels like)but get a little during replays but not a lot.

I do have a athlon x2 6000 cpu and 4 gig of ram though.

Sparky, I've an X1950GT with P4 2,53Ghz@3Ghz

There aren't solution. If you try to play at medium details, you'll see that there aren't improvement in FPS. Why? The CPU is the key!

The REAL system requirements (recommended) isn't P4 3GHZ, but dual core!

I don't know what I did or how it happened but I went to play it last night and it played pretty much flawlessly on 1280x1024 and high settings! :lol: :shock: I sometimes get a split second of slowdown when the action is fast in the box, but even that's pretty rare. The only thing I can think of that I changed was I enabled support for V-Link x8 in the BIOS. Also, this may sound a ridiculous question but do settings changes work better when you actually start the game the first time(i.e you go to the 'settings' menu when you insert the DVD)? Before, I was minimising it then changing settings. I have frame skipping and V-Link checked. If I go to a slightly lower res I can probably get rid of any slowdowns whatsoever. The way it plays now is pretty much perfect anyway though, it flies. Great to finally be able to enjoy the game fully :)

Sparky, you're lucky!

But, have you tried to play on-line? On-line you can notes more slowdowns than off-line.

Hasta pronto.

Guys

I had an amd 64 3500 and an x850 card , I go the slowdown on medium res.

I bit the bullet and went for a new board processor Antec media case ,2gb of fast ram and card which is an ATI HD3850 which is in total was around 350 bucks.

This runs fine on an hd tv running at 1900 x 1080i with no slowdown.

I was considering the agp x1950 option butit would have been a quick fix, but I bought guitar hero 3 (oops)my old processor ran that at 100% cpu.

My advice, spend a couple of hundred quid upgrading, this will help in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom