Boxing Talk!!

fd1972uk

---------------------
9 January 2002
Glasgow
Celtic
Just popped this on for when there are some fights which can be discussed in the British and World scene.

FD

He's the WBC, but as you said there's that bloody many it's getting confused. I'd prefer one or two at most, but guess it's all about making money with Belts. Think they're working themselves through the Alphabet. :mrgreen:

I feel Klitchsko is the best out there at the moment for me.

FD

please if were going to talk boxing keep the heavyweights out! (they really cant box there just big) who do you think is best pound for pound at the moment? my vote lands with roy jones or oscar de la hoya!

Marco Antonio Barrera IMO, shame he lost in November though but some of the bast fights I have seen have involed Barrera especially the fights against Morales!!

I think you might be talking about Miguel Cotto, young exciting Puerto Rican, still a long way to go but saw him fight couple of months ago and he was diamond!

junior witter ;) who do you mean? i dont think varrera is best pound for poung he got wasted in every round in his las fight against Pacquiao now this guy is going to be awesome!

I think you might be talking about Miguel Cotto, young exciting Puerto Rican, still a long way to go but saw him fight couple of months ago and he was diamond!

thats the one mate, he looks cracking

i cant wait for Hatton to go up against someone big like Tszyu

Yeah mate, Hatton's great to watch I don't know what it is but its so much more satisfying dropping an opponent with a body shot and watching him curl up trying to breathe.... :mrgreen:

A sight Hatton has become accustomed to seeing

Shame he supports Man Shity :(

less of it ellis! hatton hasnt faced anyone yet and until that he cant even be talked about in the same breath as the others although i do think that is not his fault more to do with warren!

What?! More to do with people being scared to fight him.. And i'm not saying he's the best lb 4 lb boxer. Super Mick spoke of him so I followed with how highly I rate him

Enlighten us then JM who's good and who's not??

Cotto looks very good indeed. For me my favourite is Morales or De La Hoya, very exciting, especially Morales, always involved in a war.

FD

if it was the case of boxers being scared of him he would of had the fight with Sharmba Mitchell but warren didnt stump up the money for that i think sometimes he forgets he has a bum verion of the tittle. im not knocking him as a boxer i saw him in the aba finals about 6 years ago where he put a guy out with1 body punch! he is just overhyped for what he has achieved!

Hatton was gonna fight Sharmba Mitchell, but the moeny wasn't right apparently (Mitchell demanding too much) I think Hatton would have beat him but it would have been a tough test. Ben Tackie is his best win so far.

Cotto does look special, but time will tell. I think the best Light Welter is probably between Hatton, Cotto, Gatti, and Mitchell.

I'd love to see Injin Chi and Scott Harrison fight. It has the makings of a war, of which I think Harrison will be the winner, on strength alone. But I also think Brodie could beat Harrison, he used his boxing skills.

but why shouldnt hatton stump up the money he is after all the challenger! you really think harrison would beat chi fter the two beatings hes give brodie? i dont think it will happen harrison is another one with a bum version of the belt.

Hatton hasn't really fought anyone, I was looking forward to him fighting that unbeaten guy but that went tits-up. Hopefully he'll get in with the big guns shortly.

Agree with Chi and Harrison fighting each other, not sure about Brodie against him though, think he would be too strong for him and his workrate would wear Brodie down. Chi had too much for him and the first fight was a scandal, there was certainly a bit of dodgy stuff going on then at the count, Chi won it with a bit too spare, 2nd time around I think Chi knew he'd have to make sure he put him down to get the result in Britain. Remember Chi fighting Morales in an absolute corker of a fight, Morales was boxing the head off him, but Chi kept going and going and never gave up.

FD

Fair enough, but they done it a lot worse with Audley and isn't that what they always do in sport?!

Anyways aside from the top guys in each division there are not many other names to speak of and Hatton is near the top of his division so who else is there to hype?! He's got great potential and if he gets Mitchell he will beat him then you can suck an egg JM..... ;)

I know Chi is tough, probably one of the toughest if the toughest out there. But Harrison is massive at the weight, and he wears opponents down too, remeber McCollough?

yeah i think he would of beat mitchell but if he wants to be the worlds best he has got to stop fighting bums stump up the big money and get over to america get a good belt! i think all the major belts now rate cotto higher than hatton!

British heavyweight boxing went back 20 years when Skelton beat Sprott. What a mess of a fight. I know Skelton is 37 and he aint gonna change now, but is was some of the roughest boxing I've ever seen. Sprott was too aprehensive. Good luck to Skelton though, he did what he could and had to I suppose.

all heavyweight fights are poor!!! heres a question for all you guys that i have always wanted to know? why at amature level (olympics) there are always about 10 medals go to the mighty cubans but yet i cant think of one world title holder! i like the website a couple of my mates are on it im ringing them now they will be v.impressed

Lots of class amateurs never make the big time in pro boxing, Amateur boxing is based on aggresion and punch volume, and boxers must find it difficult when more technique is needed for the Professional game.

Yeah that's always been something mentioned about the Cubans and where they go.

The Skelton/Sprott fight was a mess though, I was laughing out loud when in the 5th round they where swinging their arms about like maniacs hitting nothing but fresh air. It was cringing.

On the recent Brewster v Klitschko fight I had to laugh at Don King commenting on how their was abnormalities in his sugar level, King's reply "It wasn't the water in Wladimir's eyes,'' said promoter Don King. "It wasn't no soup he ate at the Mandalay Bay. It was Lamon Brewster's punches that knocked him out. That's what happened to Wladimir Klitschko.'' :mrgreen:

FD

There's some good boxing on this weekend, Jason Cook defends his IBO lightweight title againt Kevin Bennett. Cook should win, but Bennett is no mug. James Hare is on the undercard trying to come back from a defeat. Also Dean Phillips is boxing (the guy who beat Oldhams Gary Hibbert last time out.

Am I the only one who likes David Haye then? Nice quick finishing and one of the few who seems to think a lot about what they're doing.

Back
Top Bottom