Boxing Talk!!

The right hand that Jones allowed to hand is the kind of aimless yet brutal right hand that you see thrown in most pubs at the weekend, clearly Jones is shot now :(

Just bringing this up, as we've got a the next few weeks of Scottish fighters featuring on sky.

Tonight is Craig Docherty, next week is Arthur (on the Calzaghe undercard) and following that is Scott Harrison. :)

Saw that Trinidad beat Mayorga, anyone see it? Think he's talking about fighting Hopkins (if I remember right), believe he lost to him rather heavily before.

FD

A couple of years back I remember seeing a young Scottish fighter make his debut against a seasoned journeyman, he's probably around the lightweight class, reminded me of a white Naseem Hamed without the arrogance, he was exceptionally skillful and a joy to watch, dominated his opponent so much you could see the awe and respect after the fight from the guy ge beat (he won his debut fight of course), unfortunately I didn't catch his name so haven't been able to follow his progress, don't suppose he rings a bell with any Scottish boxing fans? :)

Alex Arthur? He got ko'd by Michael Gomez in his last fight. He's fighting next week on the Calzaghe fight, next Friday on Sky.

Then again, he's in his mid-20's.

The only other one I know who fights this Friday too on the undercard is Welterweight prospect Gary Young, but don't think he's been around for 4 years, he's only had 10 fights and is around 21.

Gary_Young.jpg

FD

Last edited:
Ain't got a scooby then sorry. That's the main 3 Scottish fighters, so anyone else you've saw obviously hasn't really done it then as he'd be at least at the front of any Scottish fight-nights by now.

FD

Not sure if this is old news, however last week there was an Interview with Larry Holmes and he was speaking about Lennon Lewis. Said that Holmes had said he'd offered to fight him (at the age of 48), however Lewis said that he didn't want to go near him and he had a great jab. :lol: What a pussy. Holmes said to him, if someone offered me a fight I'd murder him in the ring.

Also said that Ernie Shavers was the hardest hitter around, said he knocked him out so hard, that he would wake up and then black out again. :lol:

FD

Larry Holmes has done nothing but talk shit for a long time now, search the "Saddo Boxing" forum and you'll find a bunch of quotes from him which came from so far up his arse you can taste the sweetcorn :)

Boxers talking shit isn't new though is it.

Looking forward to the fights tonight, heard Calzaghe got into a little bit of an argument with his opponents trainer, who was supposedly being a bit lippy.

I actually prefer this Friday slot, which I don't think the boxers and their management do, however it's great as it doesn't clash with the footy. :)

FD

Last couple of fights have been boring, although the Harrison fight was a joke, why was that guy in the ring with him?

See Tsyu (sp?) and Mitchell go head-to-head next weekend, should be a good fight. :) and the Morales v Barrera fight coming up should be another classic.

FD

Mayorga wa crazy to jump up 13 pounds and face a dominant champ.. though recently unretired.

Tito looked great, but i still think he is greatly overrated and easy to beat by fighters that move.

Larry Holmes would have dusted Lennox in his prime i think. . .i may be in the minority there on this forum with that opinion. I remember when Larry fought Evander and after the fight his trainer was in the process of grabbing his mouthpiece when larry straigh up barfed all over his hand! I dry heaved in my friends living room. lol. good times.

:lol: LOL........

Pity, I never got to see that fight, although did think Trinidad would've won. Is his only defeat to Roy Jones yet? Is that the one where Jones won almost every round even though he was injured?

Sure I can remember Trinidad saying he would want to avenge his only defeat.

FD

Aaaah, that's the one. Thought I'd get mixed up there, knew Hopkins got beat by Jones (his only loss) but must've mixed him up with defeating Trinidad too.

Cheers.

Hopkins won easy against him, but think Jones beat Hopkins easy even though he was injured (not Hopkins as I mentioned before). Sure Ghazi said this earlier in here too actually.

FD

Tsyu (sp?) looked great after a long lay-off, easily defeating Sharmba Mitchell. Can't see Hatton beating him if they get it on, although I would enjoy the fight. Also Guzman looked good at a different weight, although a bit of a twat the way he was acting sometimes, although his opponent Gonazlez (I think) was game throughout.

Also, looking forward to Morales vs Barrera, should be a cracker.

FD

Barerra Morales have already ahd 2 great fights so this is gonna be insane in the membrane, boyz.

Kosta Tszyu looked incredible despite his two year layoff. . . . what the hell were those trunks mitchell was wearing?? he wears that gay ass stuff in every fight and it just looks even worse when you get knocked out wearing a grass skirt, doesnt it? LOL.

has anyone else been watching a programme on bbc2 on boxing and its history ?
its been on for the last couple of sundays at 10pm, i think its called ''the fight''

anyway i think the series has been brilliant and especially loved the episode containing the first african-american boxing champion Jack Johnson - what a scary and intimadating man he was!
does anyone know if this series will ever be repeated or even go to dvd?

ghazi said:
. . . . what the hell were those trunks mitchell was wearing?? he wears that gay ass stuff in every fight and it just looks even worse when you get knocked out wearing a grass skirt, doesnt it? LOL.
:lol: LOL......yeah, so true.

Winky Wright and Mosley go head-to-head, this week I believe. Also big Matt Skelton fights on Friday. It's gonna be a great weekend in front of the box for me..........boxing on Friday, Old Firm game on Saturday followed by El Derby later on that night and then more Boxing Sunday morning. \\:o/

FD

Stiffler, Jack johnson was the original pimp and black man with an attitude. He openly dated and married white women and essentially said FUCK YOU to the establishment. There is a movie called The Great White Hope where James Earl Jones plays Jack Johnson superbly. Pretty good flik.

I heard they were making a movie about him, but never got any more info on it.

Winky Wright and Shane will be the same result, I think. Winky has been underrated for too long, and Shane's talent seems to have been left at the lower weights for the most part.

thanks for that ghazi will have to check that film out :D

about johnson have you actually seen any real footage of him, in the programme i saw about him he looked truly frightening he was a huge guy and towered over his opponents! a real geniune 'hard man' - he is also considered to have one of (if not the) best defences in boxing history

Lots of fights have transpired i.e. Morales v Barrera, Klitschko v Williams etc etc. It's good that the Friday fight night is back on Sky, enjoy that. Also looking forward to the Hopkins v Eastman fight. Looking forward to Harrison v Polo tomorrow night.

FD

I dont think I have ever seen a sport with so many biased decisions in all my life, boxing is full of it, do the judges even watch the fights or what?..

For example, the Harrison - Polo fight, Harrison was burst open within 1 minute and by the end of the fight his eye was PURPLE and very badly swollen.

But during the fight I would say he got leathered, being a fellow Scotsman I was cheering him on, but to be honest he didnt deserve to walk away with his belt.

He did well for the first 4-5 rounds, but after that Polo took him to the cleaners, Harrison was spent and was lucky to survive untill the end. But boxing wouldnt be boxing without a controversial decision, and it didnt dissapoint last night.

And why ask Harrison and his managers if it was justice when 100% of the time they will say yes?..as if his managr and dad are gonna say on live tv that Harrison didnt deserve to keep his belt, its rubbish.

Got to agree with Kingpug. Dodgy decisions that no one remembers two or three years down the line....all people see is their stats and think "ooh, that's impressive" when so many of these "fighters" have only fought bums.....

Back
Top Bottom